Functional OS general

A functional OS features rollbacks even at boot, atomic updates, pure package installs, and sane configuration.

Look into either nixos or guixsd for great good today!

Attached: F25C5422-07C4-42DB-868D-99B7560752F6.jpg (574x1024, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nixos.org/nixos/nix-pills/index.html
discord.gg/sAJNxGG
chrisdone.com/posts/dijkstra-haskell-java/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsger_W._Dijkstra
github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/45492
nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-x11
nixos.org/nixos/options.html
nixos.org/nixos/manual/
nixos.org/nixos/options.html#
nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/
nixos.org/nixos/packages.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

nixos is based
actually the future of computing

Attached: nixgirl.png (1920x1080, 533K)

Nixpill me plox.

>ywn have a gf that looks like that
why live?

Attached: hankjojo.jpg (356x356, 27K)

ever wanted a distro that :
>is so stable it is impossible to break (even if you can't boot into the system you can still fix it in 3 seconds)
>is customizable and source based like gentoo but has binaries for any package you dont wish to compile or customize or choose its version like arch
>has an audited version of the AUR
>is a system that is portable meaning you have one text file you take into other machines and type nixos-install and it your setup will automatically be built there (basically you can take other people's config file and have an auto rice system)
>has absolutely zero dependency issues becuse you have infinitely many versions of packages simultaniously exist
>is made by a professional, the entire project is the result of a PhD study

nixos is for you then
here are the official nix pills

Attached: nixwaifu.jpg (499x550, 49K)

Move to japan and pick one up who is tired of their 50 hour work week excluding overtime culture. Japanese don't believe in plastic surgery or layering makeup and do believe in paying for themselves (and you) on dates and carrying their own weight.

NixOS is the original functional operating system, its a gnu/linux distro which has Nix as its package manager. The nix package manager is the runtime of the nix programming language which is a very simple DSL. Nix is functional and so is its implementation (e.g. packages are immutable, installing a package doesnt change another or break anything on your system).

If you want to ask more direct questions or clarifications feel welcome to join our discord: discord.gg/sAJNxGG

Attached: D67C6537-168F-4627-BE51-C0B9667C3ABB.jpg (340x739, 28K)

name

Thankings. Silly question perhaps, so far I work with Debian since 15+ years, how much do I have to divert from it and relearn things?

you can use nix on your already installed system if you wish to get familiar with it, the nix pills link takes you step by step through nix.
i'd even suggest you use it in a vm first since like i said you can just copy the one config file and al your work in the vm will be transported into your next install
No need to steer off that far that quick, it is however a totally different experience than other linux distros, nothing is like these or comes close

Attached: littletroysittingfatdownsouth.jpg (595x513, 101K)

As much as you want to use the features of nix, the only real difference is the package manager. You can just install nix on debian or install dkpg on nixos too.

S-sounds delicious. I'll look into it. For personal and professional use.

Attached: house-of-the-future.jpg (1136x1514, 265K)

yurisa

she's so cute

shut up fren

Attached: DAD4945D-7993-41E0-99C4-50A996BA26F4.png (737x735, 633K)

Everyone is welcome, lets all be friends and enjoy propagating good ideas in ICT

Attached: 0F6D0E6F-2ED4-4DC0-ABB2-21CF213DB17A.jpg (4032x3024, 2.77M)

Writing your own nix expressions yet guys?

Attached: 2EA92A72-4A3A-43EC-BDA4-57EFC570842D.jpg (800x1200, 88K)

Bump, what made you change distros last time?

Attached: C2886C92-DCBD-465C-B992-FCE06D59DB85.jpg (499x686, 34K)

You like a distro that is slow as fuck?
You want to configure your os in a single file with painful horrible syntax?
You like to be able to work with different version of the same program for some idiotic reason but with a stupid design approach?
You want to have different boot environment but you are too cool to use freebsd + zfs + be ?

Then nixos is for you

Slow: ???
Single file: you are not limited to a single nix file nor forced to do configuration in it.
Stupid design approach: this is by far the best solution ive seen, much better than packing dependencies within. several people got PhDs over this so the authorities seem to agree.
Boot env: thats a setting
You okay?

Would just using the package manager be defeating the point of it being functional?

Not at all, the functional aspects come fron the package manager following the functional paradigm. The rest of thea feature set of nixos and guixsd are cool stuff you can do because of the system being managed by a functional package manager

Attached: ABD20887-AB37-4951-912A-40F9457C6C14.jpg (400x400, 17K)

> Slow: ???
yes

> Single file you are not limited to a single nix file nor forced to do configuration in it.
The syntax still is rust-awful

> this is by far the best solution ive seen, much better than packing dependencies within. several people got PhDs over this so the authorities seem to agree.
PhDs need to publish something, whatever the quality is.
Static linking is a a more simple and sensible approach. You don't need to reinvend a new shape of wheel.

> You okay?
Yeah, i'm fine. thnx

>yes
What are you basing this on, nix has a hybrid model of building from source and using a cache. It installs things generally as fast as cache based managers like pacman. please explain.

>the syntax
What syntax? Also you are free to use guix or another layer.

>static linking
Leads to redundancy and can still be done on nixos because that has nothing to do with the package manager.

>>the syntax
>What syntax? Also you are free to use guix or another layer.
I'm free to use another distro, I know.

> Leads to redundancy and can still be done on nixos because that has nothing to do with the package manager.
I'ts not a problem for today machine since mass memory is the cheapest component in a computer.
The main selling point for nix is how it can manage multiple versione of the same program, but static linking solves the same problem in a less complex fashion.
Other than that nix is just another package manager, even worse than what we have in other distro/OS

Hi I am from a previous Functional OS thread

I am still interested in some description of what it means for an operating system or package manager to be "functional", if someone will indulge me before I find time to do some proper reading myself.

I read this chrisdone.com/posts/dijkstra-haskell-java/ which got me a bit excited about learning Haskell, although I didn't find out about the author till a bit later en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsger_W._Dijkstra

And I read somewhere that in a survey of some programmers that they regularly voted Haskell as having had the most impact on their programming style or ideas or something like that. I am picking up programming as a hobby and was actually tossing up between whether to have a serious look at assembly or Haskell as a first serious language study (I basically just have a loose grasp of bash atm).

Attached: amd 4x gaming intel sux0r pwn.png (640x480, 76K)

I want an Asian lgf with cute ears to nibble

Attached: ff.png (624x794, 792K)

>Japanese don't believe in plastic surgery
More or less true
>layering makeup
Very false, it's not a hyperbole to say many women refuse to go to a combini without putting on make-up
>believe in paying for themselves (and you) on dates and carrying their own weight.
Generally false, maybe a quarter of them are like that

I wanted to see how YaST worked so I downloaded openSUSE.

Good. Men should pay, women shouldn't work, casual dating is cancer.

cope roastie

How is that roastie ? The man should be the provider and women should be housewives. Men should rule politics and women shouldnt be able to vote.

We dont need more worker drones for the system we need loving mother's and wives.

Attached: ff.png (996x1248, 1.51M)

>Generally false, maybe a quarter of them are like that
Seems like I meet different women than you, I've not bothered to run the statistics on this or look it up but its surely more than a quarter.
>without putting on make-up
Key word here is "layering"
The women pays for the food in japan, the man pays for the house.

How does the woman make money

Part time job next to house work.

NixOS is pretty cool but what init system does it use? If it is Systemdicks I`ll have to kill myself.

Ew. At least if its not fulltime its better than most I guess.

Attached: ff.jpg (750x449, 41K)

Its systemd and it would be hard to decouple this sadly. You can check out guixsd which uses Sheppard.

I took the nixpill today and now I can't use anything else. Quite possibly the perfect os.

House work doesn't take up 100% of their time, should women just stand around in their spare time?

as @uguugu requested we are going to increase the posting of japanese girls.

Attached: wh-1.png (640x426, 268K)

You can do a lot besides work. Crafts, playing with children, interacting with them, teaching them, there is much more to life than being workerdrone #378. Kids need to have time with their parents

Arbeit Macht Frei

Attached: 36a4fd3cb2850ab0f07fcda80ca03454--japanese-school--year-old.jpg (236x354, 14K)

Can everything in NixOS be done from a GUI? I don't have time to memorize new command line tools and configuration file syntaxes.

That was only for Jews who have never done any honest work in their lives. The family is more important than produce and consume.

Attached: ff.jpg (553x691, 39K)

Sadly not that I'm aware, it should be possible to make this relatively easily so there might be a tool out there. Nix might be interesting for you if you don't want to memorize extra syntax because all configuration can be done using the nix language.

DESU, Outside of their insane work hours the japs seem to be really good for their family. My girlfriends parents are extremely concerned with her and always want us to stay over.

Attached: Yurisa_Chan_Korean_model_women-134454.jpg!d.jpg (1600x1065, 209K)

Yes it seems like that to me as an outsider too, but I couldnt abide their work schedules. It is insane on the man. Its too bad they dont change it.

Also Japanese girls are far more likely to retain virginity statistically than w*stoids. I would be afraid however if I had kids with one in the west that my kids would just become modern w*stoids.

Attached: ff.jpg (2448x2791, 1.45M)

So unlike normal you have immutable portions of the system (programs, configuration) and mutable portions (your home folder). The state of the immutable portions is set by a package manager which is the runtime of a functional programming language. Once you create a package (in nix, a derivation) by declaring it it will be created as a build of the package on the system and returned as a path to the build. This means that packages are literally variables in a functional programming language.

I've been looking into nixos recently but only did up to 200 level classes in java/c++ and know bash sorta well. been thinking of replacing my fedora install but I've heard there's issues with steam play, which is a dealbreaker. confirm/deny anyone?

github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/45492
It appears that you can get around this without too much of a hassle. If any problems come up you can always install steam without nix on nixos or just add nix to your existing system.

Attached: 1563127629827.jpg (960x1280, 228K)

that chicks done a lot of surgery

The idea behind NixOS is good but you, OP, are a massive faggot. I'm willing to bet you're an Asian/Hapa but a part of me says you're some autistic incel with yellow fever. You've been making these thinly disguised yellow fever threads under the guise of NixOS for a while and it is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on Jow Forums which is an "accomplishment". Why are you trying to get people to shun this OS? Not even furries are as obnoxious as you are, and you've managed to beat them in their own game. I guess that's another "accomplishment" from you too.

Just in case anyone have their doubts. Notice how all of his images are labelled as "XXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX"? It's because he's posting from a phone. This indicates he's a ban evading autist who can only deliver low quality and off-topic threads/posts. Not only that, he tries to bump his garbage threads with samefaggotry and off-topic discussions such as "wat distro u guys using now? xD" or "japanese azn qt, so tight and fuck omg, japan da best" and that's why 80% of the posts in his yellow fever threads are full of off-topic crap.
If you look up his threads in the Jow Forums archive (search for "NixOS" and filter it with "only opening posts"), you'll see that he's also made two other thinly veiled yellow fever threads under the guise of NixOS in the last few days.

You don't even live in Japan and you never will, OP
>Japanese don't believe in plastic surgery or layering makeup
Yes they do, and every single picture that has been uploaded by you from your weebcel folder is somebody with excessive amounts of make-up and plastic surgeries. The one in the OP, the one in and and and so on.
>carrying their own weight.
Except they have the highest divorce rates in the entire fucking globe.

Now leave NixOS alone and kill yourself for the greater good.

Attached: average Asian woman.jpg (1257x999, 583K)

>install steam without nix

preferred way? appimage, snap, etc?

Nix broke my transmission-daemon setup irreparably so I'm writing it off forever now. Time to find the 2000 torrents I had in there all over again.

>its a butthurt Rebecca roastoid comment

giving it a shot on bare metal because fuck it. editing the config for install is a super autismo thing but that's right up my alley. more things to be elitist about, fuck yeah.

Fedora does this without your autism

don't fucking post this image ever again
Riko is not for shilling your retarded elitist no purpose OS

I hate to say it since you seem to be a fellow appreciator of Marina-chan, but some women should be allowed to vote and work. The manly women. The forceful, driven, reasonable women. They do exist, they are just a minority.

Not allowed to vote. Work is a Jewish modernist scum thing pushed on everyone by the corporations and government to require more women to be soulless consumers who dont care for or have families

that logo is horrible tho

Attached: Untitled-1.png (344x344, 168K)

t. Jew

>Except they have the highest divorce rates in the entire fucking globe.

Attached: tell.jpg (198x248, 19K)

whatever is recommended by valve.

Its pretty cool but only has a fraction of the features, enjoy not being able to roll back on boot when shit breaks user.

Attached: SpiderSense.png (500x501, 39K)

fedora does this on a superficial level, at that point i would just prefer having dpkg or pacman

NixOS is literally revolutionary.

It may be hard to believe, but everything in this post is true. It's so good that every other regular, mutable distro is a downgrade.

Oh yeah I sure love having to do all my configuration in a poorly documented config file with a poorly documented language.

Nothing more fun than having to read source code just to use a different WM

>t. never used NixOS
To install and set up a WM you simply put "services.xserver.windowManager.{i3,xmonad,dwm,etc..}.enable = true;" into your nixos configuration. Ofcourse you can have as many as you like enabled in parallel. Way easier than manual installation, don't you think?

I did use NixOS, that description is exactly what happened to me. The configuration wasn't documented well at all and I could find no mention of the WM option (which you need to know exactly, ain't gonna guess that shit).
I solved it eventually by finding the option in the Nix source code but at that point I gave up. Maybe it's documented better now but I'm not touching NixOS with a ten foot pole unless I can be certain that everything is always 100% documented

>I could find no mention of the WM option
Did you know NixOS had a manual?
nixos.org/nixos/manual/index.html#sec-x11
Also, every single NixOS option is documented here: nixos.org/nixos/options.html

>and carrying their own weight
Thankfully they tend to be slim and light weight too.

>Yes they do, and every single picture that has been uploaded by you from your weebcel folder is somebody with excessive amounts of make-up and plastic surgeries. The one in the OP, the one in and and and so on.
The problem here is that is Korean, not Japanese.

I'm confused, does OP not live in Japan or have sex with Japanese women, or are Japanese women shit? Seems kind of odd to emphasise both.

It's like saying "You aren't even able to reach those grapes. You don't have the ability, you loser.
But also, those grapes are sour and you shouldn't eat them. I'm telling you this as a friend, you disgusting grapefag."

not the other guy but while you're making a really good point, nix solves the problem without having to change anyone's opinion on static linking. Basically it just werks.

no such thing.

If all this is true, it surely should have been all the rage by now and years before. What's the catch on it?

nixpkgs is full of issues. you idiots just aren't power users, it seems.

How are nixpkgs full of problems?

you need to be willing to think different about everything
people don't want to change their ways even for the better. using nix expressions inseatd of sudo make install is an example. But that's what you have to give up if you want these advantages. All of this is true, it's just not documented for brainlets enough and it's nothing like any other operating system

issues? like what?

>it's just not documented for brainlets enough
Call me brainlet or whatever, but that's the red flag for me. Get a proper docu or fuck off.

nixos.org/nixos/manual/
nixos.org/nixpkgs/manual/

linked here is documentation for installing and setting up nixos, every nixos option with examples and 5 line explanation each, every nixos package , the nix language and how to write a package and modify it

nixos.org/nixos/packages.html
forgot this one

i'll give a couple of examples.

- the way the vim package installs 'native' plugins is buggy. see nixpkgs#39364. the plugins under vim-pack-dir are loaded after the default plugins under vim81. admittedly, vim seems to share some of the blame. in any case, it's an old issue that hasn't even been addressed by the devs. the docs still say native plugins are recommended over vim-plug and others.

- development is a pain. i'll use python as an example. the 'nix' way of installing python packages is not good enough. i need to record the specific package versions of an experiment and ensure users have the chance to use those versions. nixpkgs is useless here. for this reason, i use poetry. however, using poetry and other package managers (even pip) is a pain. you will probably want to make your environment manylinux compatible or manually install some libraries. it's not impossible, but a pain. another unintuitive thing with nix is that imperatively installing python packages will not add them to PYTHONPATH.

just to clarify, i know these are not systemic issues for the most part. my problem with nix right now is they don't have enough devs. i've come across a lot of issues that need fixing. i can't remember them all.

sorry but this is cringe

do you know what saging is, faggot?

I want to bump it so everyone knows how retarded this is

>nixos
>guixsd
while your heart is in the right place, you should avoid recommending operating systems whose init has not been audited by a third party