- [[emacswiki.org/][Emacs Wiki]]

* Manual
- [[gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html][GNU Emacs Manual]]

* Tutorials
- C-h t (Interactive Tutorial)
- [[gnu.org/software/emacs/tour/][GNU Emacs Tour]]
- [[tldp.org/HOWTO/Emacs-Beginner-HOWTO-1.html][TLDP Beginner's Guide]]
- [[ergoemacs.org/emacs/emacs.html][ErgoEmacs Tutorial]]
- [[youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX2044Ew-UVVv31a0-Qn3dA6Sd_-NyA1n][(Youtube) General Introduction]]
- [[youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVtKhBrRV_ZkPnBtt_TD1Cs9PJlU0IIdE][(Youtube) Org Mode]]

* Self Documentation
- C-h k (Keybinds)
- C-h f (Functions)
- C-h v (Variables)

* Programming in Elisp
- [[gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/eintr.html][GNU Elisp Manual]]
- [[ergoemacs.org/emacs/elisp.html][ErgoEmacs Elisp Guide]]
- [[github.com/bbatsov/emacs-lisp-style-guide][Elisp Style Guide]]

* Packages
- [[melpa.org][Melpa Package Repo]]
- [[pastebin.com/KUAbRwJR][Short list of package recs]]
- [[github.com/emacs-tw/awesome-emacs][The Big List]]

* Premade Distros / Configs
- =Make your own=
- [[github.com/hlissner/doom-emacs/tree/develop][Doom Emacs]]
- [[github.com/syl20bnr/spacemacs][Spacemacs (heavy)]]
- [[github.com/snackon/Witchmacs][Witchmacs (Basic config with sane defaults)]]
- [[seagle0128.github.io/.emacs.d/][Centaur Emacs]]
- [[gitlab.com/k-bps/mesk][Minimalist Emacs Starter Kit]]

* Muh Startup Time
- use-package defer
- [[pastebin.com/mrPsnUas][Increase GC During Startup]]
- [[emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsAsDaemon][Emacs as a Daemon]]
- [[emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsClient][Emacs Client]]

* Muh Default Keybinds
- [[pastebin.com/UAUCvs73][Changing Emacs Default Keybinds]]

Source: pastebin.com/pm7wPBEm

Attached: 56474931-8bddc000-64b3-11e9-93d8-0204c3752790.png (3994x2320, 1.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/tour-de-babel
cestlaz.github.io/posts/using-emacs-26-gcal/
github.com/seagle0128/.emacs.d
lepisma.xyz/2017/10/28/ricing-org-mode/
lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-11/msg00515.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6777471
github.com/redguardtoo/mastering-emacs-in-one-year-guide/blob/master/guide-en.org#step-by-step-guide
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-26/emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip,
simpletutorials.com/c/2758/How to Install Spacemacs on Windows
github.com/ianpan870102/.emacs.d
triplebyte.com/blog/editor-report-the-rise-of-visual-studio-code
juanreyero.com/article/emacs/org-teams.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

An easy tutorial on use-package? Cant get my head on how to use it.

What's the thinking man /org mode/ routine for a productive day?
- opens his work.org buffer and clocks in
- keeps track of the idea from the subconscious part of his brain seamlessly with org capture
- quickly visits his work.org buffer to clock in and out as he changes gear from one task to another
- writes his reports in org mode with hyperlinks and exports his report in both a professional detailed latex made pdf, as well as an executive summary in html with minimum effort
What am I missing?

Attached: images2.jpg (300x168, 6K)

Dont know about you but I keep my notes in several org files. Also, I am still trying to organize my notes from several other files, but still, as I made some organization, I can still worry about the most important org files first.

One general work.org that keeps track of the projects and clocking
One file per project that keeps track of advancement
One agenda.org

To be honest I haven't bothered myself enough to use org-mode to organize my day. Maybe I should, by I don't really know where to start.
I only use it to take notes, write school papers and presentations.

On an unrelated topic, why is Emacs so popular with Chinese? Quite a few popular packages are written by Chinese guys or girls.

I also tried to write papers in org but the inconveniences such as using tikz in org makes auctex more straightforward in my use case.

As for the Chinese, maybe the sheer number of them?
Like how there are so many Chinese in deep learning stuff, and so many of them in EE too.
And since they don't have to make effort to use English, they are easily spotted, as opposed to Europeans or arabian people using English on the internet.

I just discovered orgmode and have notes from college and personal writing in other formats. Anyway, Emacs made it easy to re-order things with buffers but I wish I used Emacs sooner so I wouldnt be swimming in this mess.

>They all used Emacs, of course. Hell, Eric Benson was one of the authors of XEmacs1. All of the greatest engineers in the world use Emacs. The world-changer types. Not the great gal in the cube next to you. Not Fred, the amazing guy down the hall. I'm talking about the greatest software developers of our profession, the ones who changed the face of the industry. The James Goslings, the Donald Knuths, the Paul Grahams2, the Jamie Zawinskis, the Eric Bensons. Real engineers use Emacs. You have to be way smart to use it well, and it makes you incredibly powerful if you can master it. Go look over Paul Nordstrom's shoulder while he works sometime, if you don't believe me. It's a real eye-opener for someone who's used Visual Blub .NET-like IDEs their whole career.
sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/tour-de-babel

Why do YOU use Emacs, GNU-males?

What's a cute and maintainable css for org mode html export?
I want something for a personal static blog that handles images gracefully (e.g. not displaying a super huge image when the image is high res) and displays nicely on mobile?

I use emacs because it is customizable and won't disappear or change overnight.
Like people who use Google products and then Google decides to cancel them, or people who are disoriented after an update with a GUI refresh.
Also emacs is a nice interface and consistent for a huge variety of purposes.

My employer embraced the botnet. Do you guys know anyway to interface emacs with those Google slides / Google calendar type of stuff?

>tfw evil user
Can't decide whether I should stay with it or go full emacs

I went full emacs because I was tired of the mental gymnastics, and my use case of vim was basic anyway.
Took like 3 days before I stopped typing jjjjjjj but beyond that no noticable issue.

I know Emacs can access GDrive with Tramp, and I think I saw a Mike Zamansky video that shows how to sync org-agenda with Calendar. Have no idea for Slides. Maybe export them to LibreOffice format?

here's the link where he explains his setup.
cestlaz.github.io/posts/using-emacs-26-gcal/

Thanks, I'll look this into more details later.

>Go look over Paul Nordstrom's shoulder while he works sometime, if you don't believe me.
??

org-reveal is pretty great, and runs in almost any modern browser. Just make it fullscreen and do your presentation. You can also export it as pdf, but no animations to please the boomer boss overlord then.

bumb

Why would I want to virtualize an entire operating system (with startup times to match) just to use a text editor?

Why do you need to do that? Emacs has native builds for plenty of operating systems.

does anyone administer gentoo solely via emacs?

people still use gentoo?

anyone else not racist but extremely misogynistic?
which mode can fix this?

M-x black-pill-mode

How do I add filetype icons to dired like that?

So you become racist or stop being misogynistic?

it's built in with Centaur Emacs, not sure which package does it though, github.com/seagle0128/.emacs.d

M-x acquire-coochie

It's a package called all-the-icons, which is included in Neotree. You have run an elisp function before using them.

If you want to administer via Emacs you should use Guix.

What the fuck? You mean you can run emacs inside of emacs now?

M-x ansi-term
emacs -nw
or running emacs in exwm

I was asking for a wysiwyg mode in other threads, pretty sure there is an inline preview minor mode for LaTeX while on orgmode.

whats the point of using emacs when its better suited with a GUI
i can just use an IDE and it just works out of the box

(use-package packagenamehere :ensure t
:init
(stuff to happen before its loaded)
(setq variable-stuff 1)
:config
(turn the package on here))

that's the basics

>a GUI
so can Emacs
>an IDE
so can Emacs
>just works out of the box
so can Emacs

Oh, yeah I recall that now that you mention it.
It was generating a png image of some latex.
I wonder if it can generate tikz images too.

>It was generating a png image of some latex.
The wysiwyg implies it does inline, meaning inside Emacs. I know it can display in other windows and it can output pdf, there is even a groff mode that can output pdf too. I saw a couple of ways for displaying LaTeX inline, I wanted to see if there is something like that with groff.

>>a GUI
>so can Emacs
>>just works out of the box
>so can Emacs
what i mean is that emacs lacks some functionality when using in CLI, especially when using distribution like spacemacs, which is the only case which i think using emacs is better than using a proper IDE

I found the article talking on inline display lepisma.xyz/2017/10/28/ricing-org-mode/

Pictures and formulas in Emacs itself. Pic related.

Attached: demo.png (900x1010, 451K)

>71957732
>moving the goalpost
Ok, so you are a troll, dont bother on talking to me again.

lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-11/msg00515.html
Based Stallman

That's pretty neat.
If there's a way to do this on a per-file basis instead of as a general org mode config I'm in!

>out of argument
>hurr move goalposts
nice general

>rms doesn't use autofill mode
Sad

Found how to make tikz work news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6777471

Neat. If I understand correctly this will includepackage tikz everywhere. But I don't care that much and the benefits outweighs the "muh minimalism" argument in this case.
Thanks a lot mate

what is the minimum IQ to use emacs?
you guys all seem so smart desu

Glad it can help. I was looking a groff package that can do the same, maybe groff mode can. Anyway, I'll probably do the LaTeX way before the next semester starts.

Is just copy paste to do stuff. Someone out there already made it easy for you.

Dumb Stallman wants to make Emacs MS Word. Will we fork Emacs when it happens?

harmful bloat like this is why im using vi™

>:ensure t
You can enable that globally, but I don't remember the variable name.

What is this garbage?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-19 20-10-12.png (1600x900, 1.49M)

there's a tutorial built in right when you start just read the screen to follow the steps

your screenshot?

Some hacker kid with a dark theme.

Not at all lmao. I dislike how editors like Emacs and Vim or languages like Lisp are made so mysterious by its users, when most of the big words they are proud about are really simple concepts.
Configuring Emacs, at least to a point where you find your config is usable, is really easy, especially with use-package macros. Completion frameworks like Ivy or Ido make using it easier than ever.
I found this guide that layouts some good steps for starting with Emacs. Maybe you should give it a read.
github.com/redguardtoo/mastering-emacs-in-one-year-guide/blob/master/guide-en.org#step-by-step-guide

Amazon legendary smart guy. The quote is from an amazon employee

the built in custom package is amazing too

what did he mean by this tho?

java

I'm trying out reveal but the export is a blank background page. Do I need to install something locally beyond the emacs package?

Did you download and configure the location of the reveal.js file?

(setq use-package-always-ensure t)

Hey guys, are you excited about Guile Emacs? I really like Scheme, quite more than Elisp.

I'm using the online cdn just for testing.
I get the theme (like sky or whatever) ok, but no content of the slides.

I am curious what can be done and how different. I am also if is going to be multithreaded.

thanks user i had no idea this was a thing

is it true emacs gives you rsi?

Paul Graham uses vi

LMAO that's a meme, especially if you remap caps lock to control.
You'd have to be super unhealthy to get RSI from pressing keychoards but at which case, RSI is the least of your problem.
"Emacs gives you RSI!!!" is a funny meme tho. Superior to "vi is the number of the beast" rms is so proud of.

how do i install this in windows?

download ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-26/emacs-26.2-x86_64.zip, extract and run addpm.exe in the bin directory.

ok, and where do i clone for spacemacs? is there also an .emacs.d or is it different

not sure about that one, but simpletutorials.com/c/2758/How to Install Spacemacs on Windows looks to be decent

thanks user, i know i could just google it but i need some kind of human interaction today

Fingerlets btfo

Attached: salad-920x592.jpg (920x592, 36K)

We're not all living in the future, user.

Attached: GitS_EmacsMaster.gif (500x272, 946K)

github.com/ianpan870102/.emacs.d

Attached: 1556842361342.png (3830x2344, 1.68M)

Seems like you didn't get the joke. It appears to be the same old "Emacs is a decent operating system, but ..."

the joke has long since died, so yeah

pretty cool looking, but i like centaur emacs as a base starting point

Honestly, RMS seems kind of retarded here. Most of his posts are
>I want WYSIWYG Emacs
but what this whole point misses is that doing this would require adding a range of new features and a new format for the documents (no longer just text files) - meanwhile LibreOffice already exists for this very purpose. Much smarter than trying to make fucking Emacs absorb the features of LibreOffice would be to introduce scriptability to LibreOffice, or embed Emacs into the text editing area of LibreOffice.

Even if I don't like Vim as a program, this is something that Vimfags have been right about all along, and it applies to other things as well, such as email and PDF viewing programs.

Will learning this get me a job?

indirectly perhaps

I want to simulate multiple files in org-mode with babel for educational purposes. I'd like to use multiple source blocks that depend can call each other. For example

#+NAME: module.py
#+BEGIN_SRC python
def hello_geg():
return 'Hello /geg/'
#+END_SRC

#+NAME: main.py
#+BEGIN_SRC
import modules.py

print(hello_geg())
#+END_SRC

Is there someway to do this by making the second sourceblock think the first one is a file called methods.py?

I'd like to do this to create some litterate program example for myself that's contained in a single org file.

Attached: 1513697923005.jpg (639x827, 159K)

Remember, he wants building blocks for a WYSIWYG Emacs, not Libreoffice. Not the same.

What's /geg/'s favorte indentation highlighting minor mode. They all seem kind of bad :(

Attached: 687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f54557950482e706e67.png (1112x630, 205K)

(setq whitespace-style '(face tabs tab-mark trailing))
(custom-set-faces
'(whitespace-tab ((t (:foreground "#636363")))))
(setq whitespace-display-mappings
'((tab-mark 9 [124 9] [92 9])))
(global-whitespace-mode)

My black cursor bar provides plenty of highligthing.

question : if i do C-x-b to see the buffer list , but the cursor point stays on the upper buffer .
how do i get to the mini-buffer so i can tab trough the buffers ?

I don't have the screenshot right now, but I recall this blog post about performance per text editor.
Emacs outperformed in general and people using eclipse were at the bottom, or something along this line

triplebyte.com/blog/editor-report-the-rise-of-visual-studio-code

How fast does your emacs start up, /geg/?

Attached: 1540959899068.jpg (1280x960, 241K)

I use emacsclient so the starting the server takes few seconds I guess (didn't try to optimize with defer or whatever). And the client pops up instantaneously.

I haven't had to start up emacs in many weeks. the server is always there, and emacsclient comes up perceptibly instantly

Three seconds on a Thinkpad T500

juanreyero.com/article/emacs/org-teams.html
Little convoluted by the end but a nice read.

Emacs as an openrc unit. Emacsclient attaches almost instantaneously. Still just a few ms slower than vim, but faster than nvim startup and absolutely worth the featureset. Blocking plugins btfo