Redpill me on thiccpad, why should i get this instead of other brands?

Redpill me on thiccpad, why should i get this instead of other brands?

Attached: images (6).jpg (554x554, 15K)

bump this. never used one but if Jow Forums worships it you know it is autism ready and not low quality at least.

Looking for a thiccpad with good display for movies and should be able to do casual vidya

came to ask this, plz Jow Forumstards, help a plebian out.

they're black macbooks with higher quality parts but no mac os

good keyboard and trackpoint

Bump

Bump

That's not really a big reason

yes it is

if you are a typist of any kind it really is.

If you're looking for a modern laptop, there isn't much reason to get a thinkpad. Their laptops are still decent, but not much sets them apart from Dell, hp, Samsung, etc Ultrabooks.

If you just want a cute computer to use for fun, then the classic thinkpads (thick, blue enter keys, led indicator lights, etc) are great purchases. They have good support for different operating systems, built durable, have some amount of hardware upgradability, good trackpoint, and better keyboards than the ultra thin low travel ones most newer laptops come with.

the keyboard really is not that good anymore

Which brand would you prefer for latest tech?

yes it is

Buy a MacBook then. You clearly just want to hop into line or join an orgy. MacBook bro.

From the users perspective laptop hardware is just a screen, keyboard, and maybe a trackpad.

Unless they've significantly changed from the x/t*30 series, they're still twice as good as the competition and three times better than they need to be.

I'm not sure, since I spend most of my time on my desktop and I'm not particularly interested in laptops anymore (I have an x220 thinkpad for simple tasks, but a laptop from work for anything serious).

That being said, my experience has been that brands are inconsistent in product quality.

What are you looking to get out of the computer? Any heavy performance? Media machine? Once you know what you want start trying to figure out what specs are adequate and then read reviews. And no, I don't mean Amazon customer reviews, try to find an actual review site.

>If you're looking for a modern laptop, there isn't much reason to get a thinkpad. Their laptops are still decent, but not much sets them apart from Dell, hp, Samsung, etc Ultrabooks.
it's true. thinkpads used to be considerably different from the field but nowadays they're honestly nearly identical to competitors except for:
- overall look
- trackpoint
- higher durability on some models than their competitors
- slightly less shit but still shit keyboard
some competitors have legitimately good keyboards these days though, better than what lenovo offers. not usually on ultraportables though.

Looking deeper into it, it's a topic worth long discussion & I'm not qualified for that, but for me:
>dependable, rugged laptops

Ports
I have so many ports

They're pretty durable and cheap to fix.

>zoomer IQs have dropped this low

not an argument

i can only speak for older ones, but basically . thinkpad input devices are the result of years and years of people doing their best to make typing/moving around as nice as possible. i've been writing most of my uni stuff on x220 and it was a pleasure. you don't have to move your hand to use a mouse, keypress feels just right, layout is very easy to get used to. other than that, those things are just an ordinary sturdy business laptops with somehow unique design, nothing to hate, nothing to praise either

My main usage is media consumption, writing, and casual vidya
>Screen should be good
>Comfy keyboard
>Should be able to handle PUBG and overwatch

What do you want in latest tech? If you want to watch videos, browse the web, and shit post them just get a t420. If you want a gaming computer get a desktop, laptops are not good value/performance.

>screen should be good
you're looking for at least a 1920x1090 IPS panel, but it's still worth reading reviews for laptop screens since there are a ton of panels that meet that spec but there's a wide range of color quality.
>Comfy keyboard
You won't find this in a modern laptop. They're all more or less the same.
>handle PUBG and overwatch
look up some benchmarks for laptop cards and then decide what cards meet your needs.

Ultimately though, it sounds like you want a media/gaming machine and thinkpads aren't really meant for either of those.

Thinkpads would have the same reputation as HP Elitebooks if it weren't for the '00, '20, and '30 series, which had metal bodies, and the first two of which had mechanical keyboards. '00s can be librebooted and '20s and 30s can be corebooted. All of their screens are so shit it boggles the mind - if you're a zoomer, you can't even imagine it.

>1920x1090
meant 1080

the highest selling thinkpad model the x1 carbon now has less keyboard travel than a macbook air

Thanks man

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

+1

They are all scissor switch with literally identical mechanics you mouth breather. The *30 series have 100% srgb FHD TN panels.
>if you're a zoomer, you can't even imagine it.
Probably true but only because they literally are unable to think, like you.

MSI

- nice durability
- quality components
- easily disassembled
- professional, decent design
- cheap

get one, they're the best imho

>it's all about keyboard travel
>ThinkPad x1 carbon is the only thinkpad
based npc

>x1 carbon is the only thinkpad

Eh....
I wouldn't get any other ThinkPad to be honest.
Saying it has less travel than a Macbook is a fucking joke though, you can tell that dipshit has never touched a ThinkPad, the X1's don't compromise on the scissor switch design of the older models.

I had an X230. The screen was so bad that I practically needed a protractor to find the angle that allows you to see things on the screen. And it was 1366 x 720, like almost all Thinkpads, except the custom rigs you can order from China for the price of a Macbook to show how pragmatic and utilitarian you are.

The EOMA68 can't come soon enough. Then the best Linux option won't be an ancient librebootable mobo wrapped in five kilos of outdated shit you can only like out of Stockholm syndrome.

1366 x 768, excuse me for underplaying the screen quality of word processing laptops from 2011.

I have 6 thinkpads. I can tell you've never actually touched other modern laptops and are parroting the "thinkpads have the best keyboard" meme that was true years ago but no longer is.

As long as you don't fall for the `< x220` meme you'll be fine.

I've used a Y series gaming Lenovo an HP Elitebook and older ThinkPads.

I can tell you are some faggot that can't afford newer ThinkPads and is stuck on the bullshit meme that older ThinkPads have better keyboards when the opposite is true.

Also I've used newer Macbooks and it isn't the travel so much that's an issue as the completely flat keys.

not only do I have both old and new thinkpads, but I don't need to lie about them and their keyboards because I've actually used many in addition to other competitors
fuck off tripfag. get a clue.

Attached: ss.png (1131x388, 26K)

>I have both old and new thinkpads
You literally posted a picture showing that you don't have it yet.

Attached: tard.jpg (1024x512, 72K)

for those that watch videos or do any casual editing, a lot of the T series thinkpad models have poor displays.

Also now that you posted that Image I'll stop attacking you because once you get it you will change your mind.

Also, 16 days to ship oof. Enjoy.

proof that I
- can afford a new one
- have used thinkpads since '93
- know what a good keyboard is
- have used competitors

Attached: IMG_20190719_092222.jpg (4032x3024, 1.56M)

Dude you need to re-evaluate your opinions then.

Bust out some measuring tape and actually check the key travel then bust off a few of those caps. They are fucking identical scissor switch with literally the same travel.

The X1 has slightly less but it doesn't effect speed or comfort typing wise, the larger convex keycaps and curved bottoms make typing far more enjoyable.

I know a lot of people prefer more key travel but personally once I used the newer style chiclets on ThinkPads I can't use anything else.

Real 4 cores cpu

Thinkpads are used in large offices where everyone has two monitors and an external keyboard and they just dock their computer to that. That's why companies cheap out on screens, since you won't be using those much anyway. The cheapest option is a 768p TN panel and you have to pay extra to get an IPS. My X230 has an IPS panel and it's noticeably better.

I was overly hostile but I just don't agree. I don't think thinkpads are exceptional when it comes to keyboards anymore. they used to be, but nowadays I just don't see it.

So not like macbooks at all

Is there even a site comparable to notebookcheck.net? I never had the chance to find any review more in-depth than theirs.

Attached: IMG_20190719_123242.jpg (4000x2250, 3.08M)

my old laptop died, can someone suggest me some cheap ass thinkpads? what models should I avoid? I just need it to pirate and watch movies, use LibreOffice and shitpost

>Pros
the older models keyboards are fantastic
the trackpoint is very nice and beats even a good trackpad
they never break
cheap replacement parts if it breaks
laptop themselves are cheap
great GNU/Linux support

> Cons
some of the bigger models are a bit heavy.

This or the thinkpad?

Attached: Alienware.jpg (4032x3024, 1.45M)

Gigabit ethernet

it's a chinese botnet, get a dell instead.

long and good service/ warranty
solid compared to other notebooks
best keyboards in notebooks
aesthetic
good value for used ones

This I had the x1 yoga gen2 and its key travel was barely less than the x230

I love that you can buy thinkpads with the base hard disk and then install your own m.2 in 10 seconds

4 u

Because you can slam that bitch around, pound it, slap it's face, and it'll just take it. It'll take it real good.
Fuck I'm hard.

One thing that is nice is that you can find drivers and support for even the oldest thinkpads very easily which is not something that can be said for most laptops. Build quality is top notch too and the trackpoint is fucking blissful to use once you get into it. Keyboards are pretty nice too, even the newer ones(even though I like the old layout better).
Overall these are just very nice machines.

I would not recommend a thinkpad for gaming over any other gaming laptop though.

Attached: IMG_20190719_195657.jpg (1248x936, 328K)

User replaceable parts
Doesn't look like gaymer shit
Many shapes and sizes
Good windows and GNU/Linux support

>cheap (if bought used)
>extremely durable
>easy to find parts
>easy to repair yourself
>easy to upgrade
>trackpoints are nice
Just don't buy one with a 1366x768 display. Those look like ass. Get one with a 1920x1080 display at least.

Freedumbs

It has a nice build quality that woulnd't collapse on you

>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
This shit

I bought one

It's overpriced and nowhere near the quality Jow Forums's advertisers promote

The only ones you should even consider buying are $100 used off ebay.

Fucker dented my wooden floor when I accidentally dropped it

And the case is still intact

P71. In case you only want to do emulation up to the PS2 and Wii, then a T430 is sufficient (my current laptop)

They're sturdy and dirt cheap when bought secondhand.

Mine is fairly new and bought it 400 USD. Basically the model is a thinkpad x1 yoga that has i7-6500, 16GB ram, 512 SSD. I flip it to tablet mode most of the time when browsing in the bed and often use it to draw. I just put LTSC and it's pretty fast and reliable.

Attached: 20190720_020430.jpg (2880x2160, 2M)

thinkpads used to be high quality but no longer are

It's not like they are bad nowadays though. Build quality is still pretty good but they are just not really that different from any other business grade laptops nowadays. And I really do hope that lenovo would eat shit and die because nobody really makes anything like the old thinkpads anymore.

whats a good cheap thinkpad thatll hold up today
dont want your 1gb ram and only works with a tranny os. thinking w520 right now might be best choice

>The only ones you should even consider buying are $100 used off ebay.
Those are the only ones Jow Forums likes, you dummy.

Build quality the good models is on point
I used to run an R61, sturdy as fuck
Now T530, sturdy as fuck
Also love the keyboard feel.
It's black and pretty

w530 actually

fucking summer I swear

It is shit, you are literally buying obsolete slow shit so you can satisfy your inner autism, there is no point in buying chinkpads you are purposefully crippling yourself like a tranny faggot.

T, X and Thinkpad Yoga series are very reliable. Older models also have comfortable keyboards and are easily serviceable and whatnot. For the average retard they pose no advantage over ANUS or regular lenovo laptops tho.

T460, get one with dedicated graphics. They're rare but they exist.

Any business laptop is fine, just stay away from consumer garbage or anything thin.

Modern Thinkpads are actually build better than the -20 and -30 series Jow Forums worships.

The real problem is they remove all the cool features and essentially turn them into Macbooks.

Thinkpads are usually the laptop of choice for free software developers, as a result of this, Linux and BSDs run very nicely on them out of the box.

The X220 and X230 (100-200$ on Ebay) are still as of 2019 very lightweight and decently fast laptops, the keyboards are tactile and satisfying, and they are pretty rugged, both models are spill resistant, they have cheap parts and it’s not a huge pain in the ass to get to most components, and in my opinion they look nicer then the majority of business and consumer laptops.

W520

>The only ones you should even consider buying are $100 used off ebay.
Almost literally what's written on /tpg/'s buying guide.

is x1 carbon a meme or actually the best laptop in the market? Great specs with 14' screen and only 1kg of weight. Seems too good to be true. Deciding between it and macbook pro

whats the best model for 300-350 euro
Need it for programming mostly as a second linux machine

go to best buy or anywhere that has consumer laptops. feel every piece of them

move the screen back and forth. it feels loose. take both of your hands on the top of the screen and twist lightly. its flimsy. Push on the touchpad. It moves down. Look at the ports. there arent many. You can tell that you would buy it and in several years it would fall apart. one fall and the whole casing will crack or bend substantially. need a new battery? good luck.

With thinkpads the screens are tight and dont wobble or twist. The touchpads on older ones kinda suck but they dont flex. The keyboards are known for being solid. Replacement parts at reasonable prices can be found in 1 simple ebay search. Dropped it down the stairs and need an entire new housing? 50 bucks and you are good to go.
Every model has reasonable ports. a 12 inch laptop that can simultaneously move files around 3 separate external and 2 internal storage devices. The same one that can hook up to 2 different external displays either digital or analog. you wont need that functionality every day but the one time it comes around, you will know you bought the right laptop. and if your battery starts to give up there are hundreds available for most models from various sellers.

The thinkpad (at least older models) is a laptop designed and built with the intent of being a reliable tool.

I wanna buy a X1 Carbon or a T480s, which would you recommend ?

I probably wouldn't buy one new. However, they are much cheaper on Ebay the older they are. I picked up a T430 off Ebay for 100 bucks last year and put an SSD in with a 1TB hard drive. Its still pretty fast with the SSD. While it is ugly, it does feel pretty sturdy. Also, the new keyboard is nice, don't let the btards convince you that you need a T420 or earlier because of that.

i would personally go for the carbon because it is more of their flagship device and more attention would be payed to the design and reliability. plus replacement parts down the line might be easier to get.

The two are similar to the point of the t480s being redundant.

The t480s is cheap starting because the base screen is worse. The base screen on the x1 is at least decent because they wouldnt tarnish the carbon brand.

Thanks based user

Get a w541 for $350ish