/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Chunky boi edition
Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: w701ds.jpg (752x384, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440s-Core-i7-4600U-2-1-GHz-8-GB-RAM-256-GB-SSD-IPS-1920x1080/362675982842?hash=item54712c51fa:g:rEQAAOSwwYldB2VA
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/ac7u21/tutorial_t450t450sw550st550x250_screen_whitelist/
github.com/bulletmark/edid-rw.
youtube.com/watch?v=_r_UEU_4EQA
youtube.com/watch?v=Rux9P-IeTvc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What are some good corebootable Memepads with a numberpad?

X1 or T480s?
Both are used $840 with 8th gen i7s

x1

Lenovo Thinkpad P50 32GB RAM 512 NMVe i7 Nevida M2000M
Gonna get that for 655€ to 700€.
Is that a good deal?

Update, highest bider is now 705€. Is it worth getting higher on that?

I ordered a thinkpad x220 with 8 gb ram and ssd. Should I send it back if it has a bios password or keep it?

Google the exact specs and check newegg,amazon,ebay results, even if the stock is 0, auction has ended you can still have some idea
do keep in mind us thinkpads are a tad cheaper.

It was 90 bucks btw

look for bios cracking memery on ebay.

You can easily disable the lock by shorting the BIOS chip with a clip during boot. Look it up on Youtube.

I've watched it but I didn't really get it. Did he shorten it by just touching the bios chip with a tweezer during boot?

Yes, you just need to short two of the pins of the chip touching them with something metallic at the same time.

What are you sens/speed configs for x220? Both nipple and trackpad feel a bit off, im on 60/70

>
halp

How long should a $300-$400 used 3rd/4th gen X1 last me? I'm have a main desktop so I won't be doing anything crazy on the laptop. As far as the battery goes, is it as simple as just buying a replacement once it starts sucking?

Attached: omc1dj5r2q511[1].jpg (640x853, 87K)

need more information, does screen quality matter? does keyboard matter? etc etc

Depends on how good can you look after it
I'm not sure about the new models but my 2011 t420 is still strong, I just upgraded the ram to 8gb and got an ssd, other than that dusted off inside occasionally and changed the thermalpaste once

You should be able to get old X2xx series laptops pretty damn cheap. T4xx might be even cheaper. Depends on how powerful you need it to be.

Depends how long will the specs be enough for you because you can't really upgrade the parts. Also SSD tends to fuck up after 5-8 years of use, but that's easily replaced. Ditto for battery.

Recommend me a model for working/programming/traveling
250-350 euro budget
Prefer if it has IPS panel nothing much beside that.
Just something fast enough to just werk and last a while.

X1C 3rd gen with 1080p IPS ?

I have a Thinkpad Yoga. Sometimes the trackpad and trackpoint gets disabled. I wonder why?

because Yoga is consumer-grade garbage

It's a thinkpad x1 yoga. Basically an x1 carbon that's convertible

damn that thing is thick

Attached: images.jpg (206x244, 9K)

for as long as you take care of it. it will become too slow and obsolete before it breaks. the only thing that will give in eventually is the SSD and probably the keyboard, both of which can be easily replaced for cheap.

>Basically an x1 carbon
Yes: which is also consumer-grade garbage.

because X1Y is enterprise-grade garbage

update your drivers. It sometimes happen to mine, it isn't model specific

update your driver if you recently reinstalled wangblows

My bois what is the best way to clean a keyboard? isopropyl feels kinda sticky and tacky. I have 3% Peroxide, does that work?

Attached: IMG_20190719_152336.jpg (4032x3024, 1.6M)

Oh fuck that probably was it. It was weird that both trackpad and TrackPoints get disabled.

Yoga at least fills a niche.

X1C is just a poor man's Macbook Air.

I just use soapy water.

sandpaper and ammonia.

at least it has ports

put a new ips screen and battery into x220. I fucking love this little fucker

Got it. I'll try that.
That seems a little harsg
H

>cntrl f "P52"
>no results
>in a thinkpad thread

why?

My sister loves the X1Y I bought her and often uses it to draw or watch netflix on tablet mode. She's pretty much a clumpsy fuck and owned a macbook that never lasted a year.

X1C is decent choice for cheap and durable ultra-portable (3rd/4th gen)
X1Y is miserable pile of overpriced gimmicks

Too new, try P50, we mostly talk secondary market here.

Assuming I have infinite budget and don't really care about libreboot/coreboot, what's the best thinkpad I can get?

it is sturdier than Macbook, sure, but not quite like ye olde brickpads
also how old is your sister?

X1 Extreme in highest specs

she's on college.

I have a W530, would it be worth getting a W541?

If we consider only performance then P72, but P1/X1E are the sweet spot really.

>often uses it to draw
I enjoy drawing on it so far. I use clip studio paint and it can easily handle it. Though the default pen is tiny, it's quite portable that slids beside the power button. The cheap wacom bamboo pen works greatly as well.

iDab here

I just bought a t440p

Feelsgoodman

whats the x1c for? portability? why isnt it on the OP list?

Whats the recommended market place for EU? ebay.de and ebay.co.uk?

Is this good?

ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T440s-Core-i7-4600U-2-1-GHz-8-GB-RAM-256-GB-SSD-IPS-1920x1080/362675982842?hash=item54712c51fa:g:rEQAAOSwwYldB2VA

Amazon aint selling used ones really.
Newegg has only one with
>Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz)
>16 GB Memory
>1 TB HDD
for 1046€

The ebay one is
>i7-6820HQ 2,7GHz
>32GB RAM
>500GB NVMe (SSD)
>NVIDA Graphik M2000M
for 705€

Both pretty expensive but i dont really know what other laptop i should get anyway. I wanted something with i7 and 6th generation, and min 16 gb RAM to maybe 32 RAM. A 16gb Ram costs around 120€ and a T460 costs around 400€ i think. So like that i could go straight for that one p50. I really have problems on deciding on a laptop even tho i know what i want. I just dont really know how much shit would cost me.
the t460 with 2 16g RAM would costs probably 400+ 240 and for i7 even more.
I first came to want a thinkpad because they are cheaper used but fuck me man. And i still cant decide. Also dockingstation support is really needed.

can you tell me about Thinkpad Helix?
Which double fucking nigger decided to put ALL of the ports on the bottom of the tablet part, what the fuck

Attached: 663432_0_i1064[1].png (451x338, 111K)

I've got an X220 but want something bigger.
Is the T440 also loud as fuck?

I replaced a crappy TN HD screen on my T450 for a innolux FullHD pannel. Brightness control do not work under linux because of the BIOS whitelist. I looked for a solution and one of it is re write th escreen`s EDID with a whitelisted pannel one.
I looks like it works. However the EDID write is not persitent after a reboot? Am i doing something wrong? My screen is EDID protected?

ASCII string: B140HAN01.3
Checksum: 0x3c (valid)

pls help. I am going nut with this issue. I need windows for work.

EDID block does NOT conform to EDID 1.3!
Missing name descriptor
Missing monitor ranges
Detailed block string not properly terminated

Does it mean that the edid writing failed?

Attached: IMG_20190416_121842.jpg (4032x3024, 712K)

>200 euroshekels for a Dell Latitude 7280 with these specs, good overall shape and excellent battery health
I really lucked out on this one.

Attached: dell.png (825x656, 115K)

whats the best model for 300-350 euro?
Need it for programming mostly CS student here as a second linux machine.

>Brightness control do not work under linux because of the BIOS whitelist.
it should work on linux (not on windows)

here's a guide i found from plebbit
reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/ac7u21/tutorial_t450t450sw550st550x250_screen_whitelist/

Where can I get the QXGA screen?

Attached: file.png (775x532, 94K)

I'll ask in this thread, because probably people here will know.

Is there ANY workstation type laptop that would have keyboard of the same type as old ThinkPads (xx20 and earlier)?

Attached: 1563534216560.png (695x853, 883K)

Does anyone have a workaround for HDCP protections for VGA cables? Most of the solutions/products I see online are for plugging things with HDMI output into VGA displays. However, because of my T440p I'm plugging a VGA output into a VGA display (which, irrelevantly, can take HDMI). HDCP keeps me from using streaming services while my VGA is connected. I already pirate so DON'T recommend that as a workaround.

Attached: 1561411866476.jpg (327x345, 26K)

W520 (or modded W530) probably your best bet

Oh well I should have worded that better.
I meant a modern machine.

I'm in love with W701ds, but I really do need modern parts.

What a lucky cunt you are.

the only new one with old keyboard is the dual-core thinkpad 25 anniversary edition afaik

170W or 90W charger for a modded T430 with the 3632QM? The 170W is one heavy cunt. I am wondering if the faster charging times are worth it, or if a 90W suffices.

What command is that? And why did you not go for the originall AUO one?
I am getting a HAN01.3 for my T430 soon and want to verify its authenticity.

I was trying to write the EDID with github.com/bulletmark/edid-rw. Altough it shows the new EDID i lost it on restart.

Is t440p better than t440s

170W ones have a plug that wont fit the standard one.

The screen is nice and it plays Killing Floor 2 no problem. Have to crank Black Mesa way down to get 60fps.

defo wayy better

Attached: 1496262524419.jpg (1275x969, 227K)

Yo so I have a thinkpad x220, noticed a lot of faint buzzing sounds when i use the trackpad or load videos. can't tell where tf it is coming from tho. Is this just normal for the x220?

Also, is an idle temp of like 49c normal?

I just got a T450 and when booting up, it says "media test failure, check cable" but then continues booting up normally. Is this a real problem or is it just defaulting to a different boot disk?

idle temp is acc pretty good

Attached: 1558703664539.png (691x495, 551K)

Go for it, unless you want the 7-row keyboard. I have a W540 and I love it.

Have you made the touchpad swap? My buttons stopped working 2 months ago from what I suspect a windows 10 update.
Since then I've been trying every single one of the drivers for similar touchpad models.

Time to trade out your Thunkpad 420 for a current-decade machine. Ideally one with Thunderbolt docking/charging and a practical light-weight design that you could only claim to dislike because you have never had the experience of owning one and using it for more than a few brief moments in a retail store environment.

Trust me, a small 2-in-1 with Thunderbolt is a 100x more practical and convenient nifty little device for getting things done than some NEET, neckbeard suckless setup, especially if you are not a programmer or make less than 65K a year or something equally pathetic. If it's desktop you're after, you can build a very good Ryzen system for a only a few hundred dollars. You shouldn't worry about getting a top-end build if you don't need/afford it, even a diet build is still better than most i7/FX-series builds by a wide margin -- and those builds have a good 3-4 years of high-quality experience still left in them.

Using a Thinkpad 420 in 2019 is only something people who do not work or produce anything and only use their computer to fuck around with shitty low-resource programs. Unless all you do is write cubicle-documents on Wordstar like that famous novelist does on his i486 then I'd highly suggest that you consider upgrading your PC.

Attached: 1562115499887.png (520x777, 298K)

No, I haven't done the swap yet, but I've been thinking about doing it for a while now. I don't run Wangblows 10 anyway, I'm sticking with 7.

ehh cant find any with ips screen with a good price ill get the 440s

enjoy shit then

Just got my p52, what the fuck is lenovo vantage

On Windows™ 10, there's simply no other way to adjust internal system's settings (battery charge limit etc) without it

I guess I'll leave it then. I will be dual booting anyway

The trackpoint for my x230 fell out, where do I buy the adapter that connects the red plastic part to the keyboard? Not seeing anything on ebay, but I don't know what it's called

youtube.com/watch?v=_r_UEU_4EQA
youtube.com/watch?v=Rux9P-IeTvc

average thinkpad user

Attached: needle.png (256x256, 3K)

wtf

it’s hard to accept that those aren’t satire

Is the X1 5th gen substantially better than the W530? The hardware looks pretty similar.

what mpv.conf settings should i use for my T61 on Ubuntu

I was gonna pick up a T420 with an SSD and 8 gigs of RAM for $100 on Sunday but my friend is telling me that I'm gonna get robbed because the guy is in a shitty neighborhood. Now I'm spooked.

Most police stations have a spot outside for craigslist deals, if he's not willing to go to a copshop then somethings definitely up.

Has anyone tried rebuilding their own batteries? I want some more for my T440p but I don't trust any of the used ones on eBay.

What's a 12" or below with ethernet, trackpointer, no numberpad.

What the fuck kind of 12 inch laptop has a numpad?

Anyway, Thinkpad X2##, what thread do you think this is retard? Some Elitebooks and Latitudes also probably match this description but I wouldn't know, this isn't latitude general

>Most police stations have a spot outside for craigslist deals

hwat

Attached: fak.jpg (1459x842, 239K)

Finally got a new Thinkpad after I gave my dad my old T60.
T450s with i7-5600, 12gb ram, 500gb ssd, and a good battery. Ended up paying $175, and so far I love the thing.