Sends the Linux desktop experience back several decades

>sends the Linux desktop experience back several decades
Hey didn't mean anything by it

Attached: 1200px-Wayland_Logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/merge_requests/111
github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki
github.com/swaywm/wlroots
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>kills screen tearing and bloated code once and for all
>sets the linux desktop several decades
ok buddy

Attached: laughingcigar.jpg (343x343, 14K)

Xorg is dead, wayland devs said it themselfs. Tim Apple even stopped shipping X11 on MacOsX

Attached: 1562517439052.jpg (274x275, 25K)

Wayland still doesn't support proper scaling in XWayland so everything is blurry. I'll stay on X until they fix it.

maybe but check back soon. Personnaly, my experience so far has been insanely smooth

Attached: 19-07-2019-19:10-1365x767.png (1365x767, 293K)

gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/merge_requests/111

That's great but on Sway everything is still blurry as fuck, and I'm on a rolling release so latest packages and all.

you can still use xorg buddy

it's not merged yet, keep an eye on that for when it's ready

github.com/swaywm/sway/wiki
>Nvidia users
>All proprietary graphics drivers are unsupported.
github.com/swaywm/wlroots
>wlroots is developed under the direction of the sway project. A variety of wrapper libraries are available for using it with your favorite programming language.

Why are all the wayland / wayland users such massive faggots?
Just fucking support eglstreams.

nobody wants to do that, eglstreams is an inferior API

As a side note, any idea if Freesync/Adaptive sync works on Wayland?
I know it does on X.

why is there jizz all over the logo?

>just support some random api that will add a shitload of code that only nonfree cuck shit uses.

How about fuck off novidiot.

Can't be worse than X.
And even so no one sane uses linux as a desktop anyways so nothing of value is lost either way.

not yet but there was talk about that in IRC recently

WLC claims to support. WLC is not developed anymore because of wlroots.
libweston supports it.
>eglstreams is an inferior API
who cares?

>game engine / render engine developers
>we try to to support directx, opengl, ...

>waylandfags
>bu-but nvidia hurts my feefees

sway is for gigachads but I can't help but hate the fucking config file syntax. it's disgusting. I know it's derived from i3's, but it's basically a really shitty homebrew event-driven scripting language rather than a CONFIGURATION language. I'd rather just write my own program to configure sway over IPC. But I don't think they expose config values over IPC.

in other words. even by severely hindering the project by seriously hindering the scope, wayland devs still don't have enough manpower even though many get paid. refer back to fact one) most people dont use wayland because it doesnt work

oh yeah, "works on my machine!" nvm, thats a valid reason to ignore everything that keeps users out. might as well declare Wayland the standard since everyone that cant use it has time and money to drop on a new computer and workflow that wayland supports.

so what is linux used for then? just Android? since openbsd is better for routers and there are several better options for servers, i guess no one really used linux

>not so thinly veiled wayland shilling AGAIN
>b-but it's bashing wayland so it's not shilling
yeah no,fuck off

Despite what freetards keep shitting themselves about Linux and it's derivatives are really only used in webservers and the like and there is not a single distro ready for normal desktop use by the average user.
And honestly saying Android is Linux is depending how you look at it delusional or just clinically brain dead retarded.

wayland is not a game engine

people get paid to work on other things, the only obvious one who should pay for this work is nvidia, they refuse to though despite obviously being able to afford it, so you should take your complaints up with them
you won't though because you know nvidia is a shit company that doesn't listen to their customers

kek, gnu/linux has worked for me on the desktop for 20 years
>android isn't linux
it literally is

cry more brainlet

>muh superior wayland
>doesnt support 80% of GPUs
until they get their head out of their asses, Wayland isnt taking off

Yeah, they traded screen tearing to colossal input lag. It's pretty clear that everyone who works on wayland only uses a touchpad and never tested it with a mouse.

it eliminates screen tearing the same way you would on xorg or windows, by using a compositor, if you can't get compton running on your meme desktop environment/window manager you shouldn't be using said environment

>works on my machine
Ah yes the same bullshit as always. Isn't it tiring running down the same exact script every time no matter what's been said? And yes Android is based on Linux but comparing Android to any Linux distro is like comparing a teddy bear to a grizzly bear.

a Jow Forumsentleman designed the logo

there is no script, you pay nothing and spend no effort getting it to work, you will never have an easy time, your problems are entirely your fault
>comparing Android to any Linux distro is like comparing a teddy bear to a grizzly bear
you are just now realizing why we insist on saying gnu/linux

>I-It's the users f-fault!
Ah yes another point off the list, we're currently on track so please keep going.

>break your own computer by installing something you don't understand
>this isn't my fault, the computer should just be able to read my mind!
please continue using windows, we don't want you here

>Strawmanning this shittily
>Doubling down on it's the users fault
Next you're gonna tell me $CurrentYear == $YearOfTheLinuxDesktop

>there is not a single distro ready for normal desktop use by the average user
no distro or prominent group has claimed otherwise so why are you moving the goalposts

>same exact script
what, like 'muh desktop use case' or 'only for servers'?
>comparing Android to any Linux distro is like comparing a teddy bear to a grizzly bear.
why, because it's successful?

imagine being so dumb you'd rather tinker with your computer to get it to work than have it working by default

you have to be at least 18 to use Jow Forums

there is no year of the linux desktop, that is a shit meme, the only year for me was 20 years ago when i started using it on the desktop and never looked back
there also is no strawman, you expose yourself as a baby duck winfag who expects microsoft to watch over your every move and take care of you, don't be surprised when you get called out on it

>muh moving goalposts
>Original post was about no one sane using linux as a desktop anyways but MUH MOVING GOALPOASTS
>why, because it's successful?
Based schizo poster

>Waaaaah mommy Microsoft muh handholding
And we're on track again after stalling for a little while.

>singlehandedly destroys desktop linux
Heh, nothing personel...

Attached: 1540973758942.png (1200x675, 89K)

nvidia has been working on it though

and yet you can't prove me wrong, behold the winfag and his eternal frustration

> no distro or prominent group has claimed otherwise so why are you moving the goalposts

chromeos has been out for years

what sort of autism do you need to notice screen-tearing without trying to specifically pay attention?
what sort of autism do you need to be bothered by it?

do you drag your windows side to side that much?

Attached: yumespoon.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

>And we're on track again after stalling
hehe yeah, just in time for you to drop a year of the linux des-oh

>singlehandedly keeps linux relevant at all for anything that isn't smartphones
Fixed it for you.

Name one person that would intentionally create gnome, wayland, systemd and pulseaudio. It's sabotage.

>It's sabotage when the single biggest contributor to the kernel and maintaining packages implements things they need for their application
The absolute state.

if that were the case desktop usage would have gone up but it has remained pretty flat since
the main use case rhel cares about is linux developers which is dependant upon other things like the cost and quality of macbooks, and isn't necessarily conductive to a good desktop environment (thumbnails in filepicker, anyone?)

>A thing primarily complained about by Jow Forums because they need it to browse their anime reaction image folders while shitposting, is necessary for everyone else to have a good desktop environment
No

the stats are released yearly and I don't think anybody has done a comprehensive study but the biggest contributors to the kernel are usually device manufacturers (drivers) and cloud companies like google/amazon, google double dips in some cases because of android

Sorry to break this to you but working thumbnails in a file browser is something people generally expect since the 1990s in a desktop OS and isn't exclusive to shitposting neckbeards.

>I expected it therefore everyone else expects it
No

>Jow Forums: linux is bad because it doesn't have photoshop or professional software
>also Jow Forums: thumbnails in the filepicker is only for anime watching neckbeards
yes

Ship something like that out to Windows or Android for just a week and maybe you can tell peoples opinions through the mass of people screaming at you for being a retard.

compton never worked for me nor did compiz nor did xcompmgr , ive tried them all
literally watching any video i have a line in the middle of the screen whenever anything moves on the screen. you could see it while scrolling Jow Forums for god's sake

Photoshop isn't professional software
I don't use Windows or Android so that is not relevant to me

Turn on tear free mode for your video card drive via xorg.conf.d, that always fixes it for me.

i use a mouse never noticed a change from i3 to sway

>photoshop OR professional software
nice job moving the goal posts

i did and i've tried so many goodamn drivers
nothing worked. I wish i could get xorg to run tear free to get xmonad back but it just can't work

Whatever you're thinking of probably isn't professional software

Does wayland have an equivalent to xrandr yet? I need xrandr for scripts.

xrandr functionnality is built within wayland
wayland was made by X devs because X was so shitty and it basically did nothing on its own and needed clever hacks just to do basic stuff like xrandr

i know what you mean especially with using nix a language made for the sole purpose of configuration but i jst live with it. it's a one time write a file and then forget about it really

singlehandedly fucks *ALL* linux?

sorry, I know its old, but I still love kicking this horse.

Also fuck systemd

Attached: sunnyd.jpg (295x171, 14K)

>isolates user processes with actual dedicated API backends for secure keystroke input and now video channels with waypipe
>less latency with native applications
>can utilize vulkan 1.1+ directly as a compositor
>uses the same libinput that shares xorg/wayland input devices maintaining compatibility
>has a isolated screenshot and clipboard even at user level

>tfw OP doesn't know that xserver allows same users processes to view eachother so any program running as your current user can see your clipboard contents

Duh. Just install Gentoo.
Your Gentoo, your choice.

The point is that GBM (generic buffer memory) was already agreed upon by every single other graphics OEM in ARM and intel+AMD.

Android even adopted it but Nvidia had to go and make a non generic version and try and force the industry.

For once everyone agreed but Nvidia had to go dragging their feet and fucking it up just like with gsync.

libinput is aids, it had no flat acceleration profile because its developers are all macfags that don't consider other use cases
it's also possible to isolate processes/clipboard/input well enough in xorg with selinux and there's no real reason why it couldn't be done in xorg itself

>implying the Linux desktop experience wasn't already outdated, buggy, and shitty overall
top jej, posted from my butter smooth Windows 10 install

yeah. I like linux for programming and all but its never been a smooth experience. I end up using linux and windows about equally

freetards can't make a good desktop experience even if it meant to save their lives. call me when distros get about as stable as Win95, LOL

imagine caring

have fun spending 1h+ setting up your PC instead of using it, but that's okay, you NEETs never get anything done anyway!

1 hour? you have got to be kidding me, I'd often have to wait hours and hours fixing things that break while rebooting 10 times just to install some updates while I was on windows, with linux on the other hand I can have everything installed in 10 minutes sans download times and be running immediately after that

>muh script
woah, when you say the same stupid things people say the same things to prove you wrong, who'd have thought.
"predicting" what someone will say does not make it incorrect? idk this is just some shit bait anyway.

Screen tearing is sometimes extremely noticeable when doing basic shit like scrolling a web page. It's not incredibly severe in all cases but I've seen very bad cases. I suppose the severity depends on the combo of hardware/driver/DE/number of monitors/refresh rate and such, but in any case it can get absolutely terrible to the point where you get incredibly obvious tear lines across the middle of the screen during daily activities like scrolling a page full of text.

I use KDE. I don't have any screen tearing during scrolling or games. It just werks. You're doing it wrong.

I don't care about propaganda. Tell me how do I dynamically change resolution and other display parameters with Wayland.

>kills screen tearing
should've enabled full screen composition in the nvidia control panel

nvidia-settings --assign CurrentMetaMode="nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

>muh android

linux for android is pretty much stripped down to level of some crap tv-box firmware, encapsulates JVM, and shares very little with your typical desktop linux stack. it's even 'propietary' by the virtue that one variant typically works on a single vendor's device and you need dedicated pajeet with nothing better to do to service each individual device with de-shitted version.

it's like saying
>my washing appliance uses linux, year or the linux desktop is hear

>shares very little with your typical desktop linux stack
and that's a good thing. Desktop linux is shit.