Why did rechargeable AAs never really catch on in the USA?

Seems like alkalines and cheap coal shits are still widely used

Attached: AA.jpg (971x1300, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jeo_hv-8bHI
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/218492404
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

By the time they became commonplace, internal rechargable batteries in electronic devices became the norm.
You only ever see them in low draw devices like handheld tools, calculators and TV remotes.

batteries that come with tv remotes outlive the tv's

bought this how did I do

Attached: 1548808666416.png (636x180, 30K)

not sure now.
like a decade ago, eneloops used to be the absolutely best but I've heard they're no longer made in japan so not sure if they're still so good as they were

>By the time they became commonplace,
rechargeable batteries have been around for decades and were the norm, you clueless zoomer faggot. if you're this retarded and know nothing about recent history then SHUT THE FUCK UP.

The problem is that for a long time rechargeables wire NiCds, which really did suck. Monstrous current capacity (RC car people still like them for that reason) but shitty capacity and rapid self-discharge. Then came NiMH, but for a long time it had the same rapid self-discharge problem. You couldn't just put them in your TV remote and have them work for a year, they'd drain themselves in a month whether you used them or not.

This is solved now but manufacturers caught onto the fact that Li-ion gives you ready-made planned obsolescence. They don't want you changing batteries when your current ones wear out (as all rechargeables do, given enough charge/discharge cycles), they want you to have to buy a new gadget.

a) people lazy
b) people two stoopid to figure cost/benefit
c) to be honest most AA and AAA devices have been lasting longer and longer and with the exception of cameras and wii nunchucks nothing really needs rechargeable batteries. The world is now lthium ion packs and your remote lasts 2+ years on even cheap dinky noname alkalines.

But yeah good rechargeables made Wii games fun. It wasn't cool to swap out drycells every 3 days or less.

>Monstrous current capacity
Isn't LiPo just as good in that area?

with enough cells yes they're also twice the price

>they're also twice the price
ah, well then it makes sense why they still prefer the nicd meme

Attached: LiPosion.gif (346x220, 2.15M)

pottery

Attached: pottery.png (346x220, 140K)

Lithium chemistries in general really, really, really want to catch fire. NiCds don't, really. You can still murder them if you try, but unlike Li they don't try to take you with them.

because batteries are cheap as shit and what's the gain?

I now have to take the batteries out and wait 2-4 hours to recharge or have another spare set, costing more money'

They only work out cost effective if you literally replace batteries weekly

Big Clive made some 3500mAh AAs combust by opening them up with a full charge. You have to choose between safety and charge density with paste batteries no matter what flavor.

when I needed AAs I had 6 rechargeables and a caddy to recharge 4 at a time. Never knew this was another thing turd world countries use to think about america daily but go off

You need extras to avoid waiting for a recharge
costs more for those extras
possibly need different charger or have to do 2 batches
none of those batteries get their bs claim of cycles

Still better than single use batteries for anything which uses a decent amount of power. Single use batteries only make sense for remotes and shit like that, where they only need replacing in a couple of years or so. Everything else which drains batteries in a matter of hours of active use is much better served by rechargeable batteries.

>Everything else which drains batteries in a matter of hours of active use
What consumer product does this these days?

Almost everything has gone lithium because more current and voltage in a smaller package. Maybe some shitty digital camera that uses AA's still. But even then you can argue the 1.2 vs 1.5v for 4+ batteries is enough that it's worse

I know some cameras still do, plus wireless game controllers for consoles and VR. Custom batteries are even worse, because that shit will wear down (or burn) and you can't replace it in most things, or at least you can't replace it in a user-friendly fashion. In addition to that if the battery isn't replaceable you cannot swap it out and continue using the device without a cable plugged in, it's fucking garbage.

>In addition to that if the battery isn't replaceable you cannot swap it out and continue using the device without a cable plugged in, it's fucking garbage.
Yeah because you can take those AA out and swap them and still use it

fucking bozo

Also game controllers are not fucking high drain, shit lasts ages for me streaming audio via the xbox controller too.

Only thing high drain in a digital camera is the flash and it's all low end cheap ones

I have rechargeables in everything I own, even button cells.

>Yeah because you can take those AA out and swap them and still use it
That's literally what I said, why the fuck are you repeating it?
>Also game controllers are not fucking high drain
They last like 10-20 hours of use, depending on the batteries and shit like how much vibration the games use. Anyone who uses that shit frequently could easily need one replacement (so 2 batteries) per week or even more. At that rate you will very, very quickly spend a lot more on alkaline batteries than on rechargeables.

I don't own anything that takes regular batteries.
And if I did I would convert to Lithium.

Who the fuck uses this shit in 2020 l m a o

you're underestimating battery bulk prices

>I don't own anything that takes regular batteries.
>And if I did I would convert to Lithium.
>Who the fuck uses this shit in 2020 l m a o

Attached: 1562460115881.gif (449x328, 133K)

rechargeable batteries died with this

Attached: images.jpg (279x181, 6K)

Energizer makes rechargeable batteries that are just as good as eneloops but cheaper

It costs less to buy a bunch of alkaline batteries.
Rechargable batteries wear out, and tend to not supply as high a voltage as alkaline in the first place, meaning they "die" quicker in the devices you'd use them in.

Am I? 8 of Amazon's rechargeables cost $17.5, so about $2.19 each. You may not even need 8, but let's go with this. Amazon's non-rechargeables cost $0.22 per battery, if you buy 100 at a time (I'm not sure how many people do this, I never did). This means that all you need to get out of your rechargeables are 10 cycles in order to break even and they claim to last for "hundreds" of charge/discharge cycles. Even if that claim is false, you'll definitely get way more than 10 cycles out of them, so buying non-rechargeables in large numbers is not worth it at all if you go through a lot. This is all calculated based on the 100 pack pricing too, if you don't buy 100 batteries at a time and were to buy 8 instead, the price is ~$0.5 per battery. The rechargeables will also need a charger of course, but that's a one-time expense and they can be found for cheap, so even that will easily be worth it compared to just throwing away single-use batteries.

Non-rechargeable only makes sense when you seldom replace them, as I've said. Shit like LCD clocks or remotes which run for years are all good applications for them, anything else which drains a decent amount of power is much better with batteries you can recharge.

I remember a lot of products putting warnings on their products specifically stating not to use rechargeable batteries, stating that it would damage the product. Also you actually had to look for rechargeable batteries while regular ones were put around the check-out line.

>stating that it would damage the product
That's impossible. Rechargeable batteries at full charge actually have slightly lower voltage than a fresh alkaline, there's no way for them to damage anything.

I know, but the validity isn't important. I'm just answering the OP from my perspective based on what I saw on battery operated devices growing up.

hello, fellow Argie

>That's impossible. Rechargeable batteries at full charge actually have slightly lower voltage than a fresh alkaline, there's no way for them to damage anything.
No, it's not impossible. The reason is that NiMH has a much lower internal resistance than alkaline. In other words, if you ask for a whole amp of current from a single AA cell, the NiMH cell will shrug that off and give you a full amp at nominal (1.2v) voltage. The alkaline will sag quite a bit, and droop quite a lot more as it discharges.

Some products use this behavior of alkalines for current-limiting. I've seen LED flashlights that do it, for instance. They count on the batteries sagging in current and voltage to prevent thermal runaway of the LEDs. Hook them up to something with high current capacity that maintains its voltage, and the LEDs sizzle and die within seconds.

Devices like this are less common than they used to be but they're still out there.

Pretty good. Just bought a bunch of Eneloops myself.

Looks like you bought the BQ-CC17 charger. The BQ-CC17 is a good charger, but I'd recommend the BQ-CC55 instead because it charges faster and has colored lights that indicate the charging status of each battery.

Not only that but it stops drawing power once the batteries are fully charged which will extend life of your batteries.

I have literally never used rechargeable AA/AAA batteries. It was always simpler to just get regular ones for the few uses they have. So no, it's not the norm

just came here to post this

Attached: charger.jpg (360x561, 58K)

ni-mh and ni-cd had terrible energy density compared to alkaline which meant they were terrible for high power devices like rc vehicles (ni-cd being the exception due to high discharge rates but they still had terrible density), torches, cameras, camera flashes especially, some game controllers, etc, which meant they were often relegated to lower power devices which would last for months/years on alkaline cells anyway
additionally the 1.2v nominal voltage of ni-mh or ni-cd meant that they didn't work in all devices or if they did they'd have a significantly reduced lifetime or functionality over alkaline, and let's not forget that ni-mh and ni-cd suffered from memory issues which required significant user understanding and care while charging/discharging to avoid ruining the cells
ni-mh and ni-cd also had significant up front costs associated with them with the chargers and higher prices by cells, they'd of course pay for themselves eventually but that could take years depending on what you were using them for
adoption of ni-mh and ni-cd late in the game didn't make sense either, as by the time high energy density rechargeable batteries were needed more and more devices were coming with their own ni-mh or ni-cd batteries, the hobbyist rc community had switched to lithium technologies, and non-rechargeable lithium batteries in more common aa and 9v formats were replacing alkaline and the (much lower density) ni-mh cells further delaying the need for rechargeable low density batteries in these formats, and not long after all of this consumer friendly rechargeable lithium technology took over

ni-mh got the most success operating in a niche where devices included their own ni-mh battery and could continuously trickle charge it, looking back it's a miracle that we ever got by without rechargeable lithium tech, the difference between ni-mh and lithium is similar to the jump we got when going from those awful heavy duty zinc-carbon batteries to alkaline

lithium metal itself is very reactive and will react badly with air/water, li-po batteries are downright dangerous if handled incorrectly and are why so many people have horror stories with lithium batteries violently exploding unexpectedly but li-ion batteries are relatively safe with well understood risks

Thanks user, very cool

I'm not from US but here in yurop you can buy ikea laddas which are essentially same shit as eneloops for quarter of the price. Pack of 4 AA alkalines would cost like 2 euro here and pack of 4 2450+ rechargable laddas are like 5 euros, the choice is not that hard if you use your batteries on a regular basis.

What about this?

Attached: file.png (425x425, 115K)

I don't think they've really caught on anywhere in the world. The problem with them is that they're 1.2 V, so most electronic apparatus tend to hit their cut-off voltages much sooner when running on them, leading to, in practice, poor battery life.

>lithium metal itself is very reactive and will react badly with air/water
Technically true, but the amount of Li metal in Lipo batteries is so extremely tiny that it doesn't matter. It's the sheer amount of stored energy that is dangerous, not the Lithium.

>li-po batteries are downright dangerous [...] li-ion batteries are relatively safe
You're deluded if you think these are two different technologies. There is technically a Li-po battery technology that is different from Li-ion, but it is extremely rarely used, and the term Li-po, in the vast majority of cases, simply refer to "soft" and/or "shaped" Li-ion batteries for whatever stupid marketeering reasons.

Rechargeable batteries were the norm in most of the world for a while there, user.
Despite the warning in the manual against it, literally everyone used nimhs in their gameboys since no fucking parents were willing to continually shell out for one use batteries that often.

If you say so. I've never known anyone using them regularly.

Well, these days you won't see people using AA or AAAs in general since barely anything takes them. The only shit I have these days that takes them are my flashguns and I have a fuckload of laddas for those.

its really obvious you never used metal hydride batteries because they were complete dogshit, you have no idea how massive of an improvement lithium batteries are over previously available technology

a lithium battery will output the same voltage throughout its entire charge and NiMh or NiCd batteries drop down to half their peak voltage output by the time they're a quarter discharged and are effectively useless for any high power application or applications requiring a consistient voltage, and that's not getting to the fact that in terms of energy density they are far less dense than lithium. and they also bleed a few percent of charge a day. they suck.

i only ever used rechargeable batteries for my game boy advance and my family's old 1 megapixel digital camera, and they didn't last very long at all, far less than disposable AA's, but you didn't have to buy them every week.

as does the cc17:

The auto-off feature will automatically shut off the charger when the batteries are completely charged.Charging times shown in Table 1 are only indicative and can vary depending on temperature and battery status.

this is a classic case of 'common knowledge' being co-opted by corporate marketing because on a practical level there is no distinction between them and there is a very clear incentive by the companies who make the batteries to give bad and inefficient information to spur more battery sales

also you wouldn't get the advertised battery life on the box with rechargeable ni-cad batteries

>a lithium battery will output the same voltage throughout its entire charge
Wrong. It goes from 4.2v down to 3v (well, really lower but most cut off drawing from the battery at that point since draining a lion battery to 0 causes all kinds of shit). If you go over the full range it's 4.2v down to about 2.5v, nimh is 1.5 down to 1.
You are correct about lion being more energy dense than nimhs and the charge retension being better, but you also don't get them rupturing and exploding when over-discharged or shit goes wrong.

Alkaline spends 50% of its lifetime at lower voltages than nimh.

is he ok

Attached: 1539540438363.png (407x402, 87K)

besides computer mice and tv remotes, the last time i put a AA battery in a different device was probably my original game boy advance in 2002. and the first two use cases are pretty much fine with disposable batteries. it's tech that's been dead for almost two decades

I'm more keen on getting batteries that don't leak if you leave them in for longer than a year.

Bought like 24 eneloops a few years ago and shit changed my life yo

Eneloops are based, my steam controller lasts like 60 hours running on them, and I don't even have the high capacity ones. Never realized how much of a meme built in rechargables are.

"because my devices are too thicc"

user, imagine a world where your phone, your laptop, your remotes, every portable electronic device used the same standard of battery. Would it not be better in every conceivable way? This is what rechargeable AAs could have given us, or standard 18650s. But no. Normies chose the "muh thin, muh light" paradigm.

>NiCds don't
Europoor want to ban good things, so no more NiCd

Because even shittiest alkaline battery has lower self-discharge than NiMH, which is really important in remotes and stuff.

Honestly how does this work? They're no name brand batteries but outlive duracells by years

These are pretty good lithium batteries. I've had 2 that I switchout with my bose QC 25 headphones and they last a long time and have accepted recharges without failure for the last 3 years.
Only recently has one died and won't charge
I hate that they're Chinese, I don't understand why they're the only lithium batteries on the market

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (721x722, 75K)

>Carrying around an ecig sized mobile phone so you can have replaceable batteries like your TV remote
You're the normie

I'm serious though. What could you have that still needs these old ass batts with garbage cycles.

>being such a manlet you can't carry around something the size of a Nintendo DS with you.

>What consumer product does this these days?

Analogue synths, you retarded FUCK.

Oh, what? You don't construct battery boxen to plug into your synths so you don't have to do the "plug into wall" rigamarole?

I thought this was /tech/, and the simplest electronics project you skimp on.

Sad F cells cost so much.

So a high-drain device could never use batt's because they're only allowed to use one "standard size" batt of yours that is not ideal for anything.

>he fell for the ENELOOP branding meme
youtube.com/watch?v=Jeo_hv-8bHI

Attached: 2019-07-20_19-51-34.png (1117x754, 96K)

>mfw bought some rechargable batteries when i was in middle school and didn’t retire them until after high school
Literally hundreds of dollars saved

Attached: 34320DCD-B82A-4E66-9816-291FDECCAC1F.jpg (225x225, 10K)

WANT TO BURN DOWN YOUR FUCKING HOUSE GOING WITH A CHEAP CHARGER1111!!!!!?????

NIMH TOPS OUT AT 1.2 PER CELL YOU FUCKING RETARD! ALKALINE IS 1.5V

Your battery packs are often made of AA cells, retard.

>No, it's not impossible. The reason is that NiMH has a much lower internal resistance than alkaline. In other words, if you ask for a whole amp of current from a single AA cell, the NiMH cell will shrug that off and give you a full amp at nominal (1.2v) voltage. The alkaline will sag quite a bit, and droop quite a lot more as it discharges.

Word, BASED NiMH is like having a fucking wall outlet in your hands!!1111

(Am I speaking like a proper white man now? I used profanity, should I talk about chopping off "pedo"/"chomos" legs? That's a white-man talking point.

This is what white men think about NiMH:

>No one is saying that fathers shouldn't be able to make arrangements for their daughters and another man but do you really think if that was the case you would get to diddle some kid you fucked up pervert? No, you're a fucking loser, degenerate piece of shit who should have a bullet put through your head for literally acting like a reptilian faggot. I can't wait for the civil war to dump your corpse in a mass grave along with all the other fucked up pedos in this world. Just try coming around my daughter and see if I tie you down to a saguaro cactus, skin you alive and let the coyotes have what's left. You need a good beating boy, as in, you need to be beaten so hard your eyes pop out from your skull and your legs are broken in so many places an amputation will seem like mercy. Or maybe I should just amputate your legs so that you will never be able to diddle a kid again? I think that would be a solution.

TLDR: >Chop legs off, MUUHHH WHOIT WUUUMAN.

VOTE BIDEN. OPPOSED HERETIC WHITE FUCKING MORONS.

If you had a high-drain device, would it not be more convenient for you to have a large collection of spare batteries that were interchangeable between your devices? Maybe you have a device with the standard battery that you're not using at the time. Just swap them. ezpz.

Some more gems from BASED white men regarding the NiMH chemistry!:
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/218492404
>Because pedophiles are the lowest of the lowest form of humanity since they prey on kids.
>
>Look man, there is nobody more redpilled than a prisoner or a person who was on the path to going to prison. Myself? I was the drug lord for North Texas. I sold drugs from Sherman TX all the way out to Louisiana and you niggers never caught me. I quit on my own volition after awhile of playing cowboy, fucking the system up and shitting on the braindead normie retards.
>
>You know what we have in common? I'm a predator who takes advantage of the low IQ American consumers who need their next "fix" to find meaning in their pathetic lives because they've rejected god, holiness and all that is good about the world. I did a lot of things, the state militia was even eventually called into Sherman because of how much fucked up shit I did in that state. I never sold drugs to kids though and I never pushed drug use as something that was "cool" in order to make a sale. Everyone destroyed themselves willingly with the drugs I sold them.
>
>Pedos on the other hand predate on innocent children. Children who adults are supposed to be protecting instead of raping or fulfilling their sexual/degenerate fantasies. Children don't understand the world, they don't understand killing your best friend who stole money from you, they've never gotten the thrill of watching the whites from a man's eyes fade away as his soul leaves his body, they've never fought in war or stolen from someone. Frankly, kids are innocent until they've been polluted by the fucked up shit in the world around them.
>
>I'm a bad dude and none of you should ever aspire to go down the path of life that I've gone down. But pedos? As bad as I am pedos are even worse because they want to literally rape your children.

BASED!!!!

No it would not, you stupid white fuck.

That's like saying "hey, I know you want a cute young girl, but wouldn't it be easier to swap between old fat diseased whores, like we based white men are allowed and support?"

What'chu going to say now? "Anyone with better battery packs gets their legs chopped off!!! MAGA! WHITE POWER"?

Attached: biden1552301501658.jpg (846x1024, 138K)

It's time to take your meds, user.

Couldn't follow the metaphore?
Do you even know how batteries work?
"Yes, pull high current through this tiny cell!"

Thing will be dead in a moment.

Add more cells.

No it would not, you stupid white fuck.

That's like saying "hey, I know you want a cute young girl, but wouldn't it be easier to swap between old fat diseased whores, like we based white men are allowed and support?"

What'chu going to say now? "Anyone with better battery packs gets their legs chopped off!!! MAGA! WHITE POWER"? .

We're not using your tiny battery anymore then. We're using a parallel-wired battery pack, or a series-parallel if we need more V and more current. Stupid fuck.

Attached: anime1520428418103.gif (244x300, 1.23M)

>Wire a billion tiny cells in parallel, hope you don't fk anything up.

>LiON devours the stick-built town.

>Don't mfg larger capacity cells.

This is what white men think about NiMH:

>No one is saying that fathers shouldn't be able to make arrangements for their daughters and another man but do you really think if that was the case you would get to diddle some kid you fucked up pervert? No, you're a fucking loser, degenerate piece of shit who should have a bullet put through your head for literally acting like a reptilian faggot. I can't wait for the civil war to dump your corpse in a mass grave along with all the other fucked up pedos in this world. Just try coming around my daughter and see if I tie you down to a saguaro cactus, skin you alive and let the coyotes have what's left. You need a good beating boy, as in, you need to be beaten so hard your eyes pop out from your skull and your legs are broken in so many places an amputation will seem like mercy. Or maybe I should just amputate your legs so that you will never be able to diddle a kid again? I think that would be a solution.

TLDR: >Chop legs off, MUUHHH WHOIT WUUUMAN.

BAAASSEEDDD WHITE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!
BASED!!!11111111

>KILL ALL PEDOS, CHOMOS, CHOP OFF LEGS, TORTURE!!!!! JEWS!!! SHLOMOS!!!!!

>.t white man

What are you talking about? all my devices are belong to Eneloops. Mouse, radio, tribander, penlight, remote control are all using AA eneloops. I have not purchased alki's in years.

all my Eneloops are made in Japan. Is this a recent development?

Yup, you're right. Nvm.

>KILL ANYONE WHO LIKES GURLS, MUUUHHHH WHOITE WUUUHHHHMMAANNNNN!!!!!

>T. WHITE MAN

What is your opinion on... QuakeC

Literally what?

Mine are from this year and made in Japan, no idea what he's on about.

Also what's with the schizo?

Ate too many batteries as a child. Blames white people for it.
You know, the classic AA NiMH rape story, I ain't gonna explain shit. .

based

Q U A K E C

(Quake-See)
Aka: Sepples Minus Minus, Minus Minus

Attached: anime1454757231424.jpg (428x428, 44K)

Says the 5'3" boylet to the 6'1" manlet

not sure if those are still good

I can't believe people here still talk about NiCd like NiMH isn't a thing. Seriously people, what the fuck?