Technology should cater to normies

Technology should cater to normies.
If it doesn't then it isn't good technology.
That's why pic related will always be infinitely superior to Linux.

I am making this argument unironically.
People always accuse others here of making this argument. Usually with something to this effect:
>>technology should cater to retards
>t. retard
But I've only ever seen people arguing against more complex arguments by reducing them to this argument as a form of mockery. I've never actually seen anyone argue against this argument proper. I believe people dismiss it out of hand and don't take the time to consider an actual counterargument because they assume the falsehood of the claim is obvious to everyone. But obvious truths are not always truths. Sometimes what seems obvious only masks the truth by providing an excuse to go on without examining it.

So, here it is. Clear as day. The argument you all use as ridicule for other arguments, here for you to actually analyze it and speak your mind about just what's so wrong with it anyway. Technology should be designed for retards. There, I said it. Have at it. Let's hear your objections you seem to think are so obvious.

Attached: Microsoft.jpg (577x289, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pW-SOdj4Kkk
youtube.com/watch?v=kZRE7HIO3vk
tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

there's nothing wrong with designing for normies, but without stuff that is designed by/for autists, we wouldn't have stuff designed for normies at all.

Are you sure about that? Maybe if the stuff designed for autists were designed for normies, we'd have even more stuff designed for normies.

>"I am making this argument"
>makes no argument

Attached: 11df4e.jpg (505x567, 37K)

yes, because it's history

how do you think we got personal computers? a bunch of RMS types sitting around in a circle at the homebrew computer club, jerking each other off about how they got some lights flashing in a different order on their altair, that's fucking how. educate yourself

It's not a better/worse kind of thing, but a compromise. It's kind of the same thing as C vs [insert preferred higher level language here], or even authoritarianism vs freedom.
A product made for the casual user will inevitably be found lacking by the more invested, and a product made for a power user will be daunting for a beginner.
Arguing that one is better than the other, or that one should take the other's place is silly.

Attached: daily_picdump_3179_640_high_50.jpg (600x800, 68K)

Just because things did happen that way doesn't mean they had to. We could have had better computers, and had them earlier, if the necessary resources were streamlined as consumer products and the necessary knowledge were broken down into things retards could understand. That's the way it always has to be, people who understand things first opening the way to people who still don't get it. If they choose to keep that path closed, they're making the wrong choice, and their discoveries won't proliferate and develop as fast.

>Stating your conclusion alone doesn't constitute an argument, you also need premises and connective logic! Hurr! Durr!
Gtfo non-normie logician-autist.

Tech should be aimed at both nerds and normans. When you design software exclusively aimed at nerds you get GIMP 1.0. When you design software exclusively aimed at normans you get MS Paint.

Yes agree. But there's no reason to keep the two separate. Technology should have the features nerds want and the ease of use normies want at the same time

your entire argument is so stupid that it's only worth mocking and nothing more, but here I go

accessibility at the cost of everything else holds everyone who knows what they're doing back, and slows down progress. if it weren't for proprietary, bloated software which takes away what you can do or forces things you don't need on you, you could get so much more out of your computer, this applies to videogame development as well, most games made in unity run very poorly because unity is made to make it easier for anyone to make a game. if those games had developers who made their own engine or were coded in lower level languages then they'd run so much better, but that's harder (even though the greybeards were doing it decades ago)

I'm not against technology being made easier to understand or use if it doesn't come at a cost to someone who is tech literate, for example I think GUIs are a good thing and generally better than command line, even if you know what you're doing

>We could have had better computers, and had them earlier, if the necessary resources were streamlined as consumer products and the necessary knowledge were broken down into things retards could understand
you're just flat out wrong, a normie retard isn't going to be able to make anything new or make any progress. and the computers would be worse because they'd sacrifice performance and optimization at the cost of accessibility and dumbing shit down so retards can understand

here's two videos which are hours long but will hopefully help you understand why it's important that what you're arguing shouldn't be how it's made

youtube.com/watch?v=pW-SOdj4Kkk
youtube.com/watch?v=kZRE7HIO3vk

you can't always have that, even when you do you usually have to put something so that normies won't stumble into that stuff and fuck their shit up

>you can't always have that,
This is the core of your entire counterargument and I disagree with it. You can always have it, you just don't. And wherever you don't, that's bad design.

Linux is easier to use. the only reason people think windows is easier is because they're baby ducks.
And honestly no, things shouldn't be "designed with normies in mind". it's one thing to make things easier but it's a completely different thing to make them more retarded just so absurdly stupid people can use them. If you can't learn how to use something that even kids can use then you shouldn't use it. It's an embarrassment if you can learn something basic yet refuse to do so. The more things you know how to do the better/more valuable person you are. Stop pretending like being a useless sheep is a good thing and stop promoting the retardation of human population.

Yes, you fucking idiot. Tools were always used by non-normies and were always designed by and for non-normies. Normies, aka people who have no idea what they're doing, have never been an initial target audience because they're/we're useless. You can't have someone who has no idea what they're doing be an important part of technological advancement unless they're the ones being experimented on.

I mean, you're making a good argument for the importance of the steve jobses of the world, but you are neglecting the importance of the steve wozniaks

The point I'm trying to make is that there are no discoveries without the wozzes. Basically no people (or at least very very few) are good at both the discovering and the breaking down, we need both kinds.

Why should the kinds of people who are doing the discovering want their discoveries to "proliferate" anyway? Why wouldn't they just keep the knowledge to themselves so they can be computer gods among all the peasant normies?

OS X or ChromeOS are much better examples, Windows is massively messy and overly complex. Forced updates, poorest UI out of any desktop wm including freetard stuff, inability to strip out "consumer" shit like xbox, worst in class enterprise management, by far the largest attack vectors for malware out of any OS, shitty UAC, mostly old stateful win32 apps with no enforced policies around security or migrations,, the list is eeeeendless.

>Technology should be over simplified so that brain dead niggers can use it
Nope. If they can't read some word before clicking the buttons, they don't deserve to live in the first place.

user you're just fucking stupid if you believe you can make some shit so that a retard can understand without experienced people being annoyed or held back in someway
it's also just so much extra work to even make it like that at all, the amount of extra effort that could be spent improving whatever software you're making is just getting wasted for sake of retards

I've seen this trend in videogames enough and it's so detrimental to them for anyone who wants to enjoy them. getting beat over the head with tutorials for basic concepts I understood naturally as a child is fucking annoying shit

how about this user: a guide can be made to teach the retards, see tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
this shit treats you like a retard, but also goes in depth and you'll probably be able to find something and learn something you can use to optimize your computer and get a little bit more out of it

may I ask why you believe this by the way? is it too hard for you to understand how to using things, did you try linux and it was too hard? why do you believe something so retarded? you obviously have never made any progress or innovation with software, so why are you trying to tell those that have how they should do it?

Dude lol just let the autists implement the functionality and let the normies implement the UI
>may I ask why you believe this by the way? is it too hard for you to understand how to using things, did you try linux and it was too hard?
i use gentoo and am quite happy with it
>you obviously have never made any progress or innovation with software,
that applies to most people who write software to be fair
i use C and am working on a ground-up imaginary architecture for a VM but i've never been employed + still in college
>so why are you trying to tell those that have how they should do it?
because they don't include UIs suitable for brainlets

just buy a Mac and use macOS. at least then you can learn more advanced shit like shortcuts, terminal and more

I'd like to interject that video for a moment. The vast majority of the size of the Linux kernel comes from drivers. The actual size without it is tiny.

>let the normies implement ui
here's your ui bro

Attached: 4L_4V4H6Dpw.jpg (800x637, 97K)

>pic of unironically good ui
my point exactly

lmao, not even Linux can fuck it up that bad

Oh ok, so you're trolling.

here's your ui bro

Attached: 4L_bAwZYa20.jpg (852x514, 59K)

shut the fuck up you fucking nigger cattle. you want your little consumer device? you can have it but don't start speaking out of turn about technology as a whole. know your place. your interests are meaningless beyond putting money in my pocket. i will always seek technology in a different manner from you because a producer's viewpoint is inherently different from a consumer, aka you the cattle. do not ask why i must have a fine tuned whip to tame you with, just eat your fucking grass and shut up.

no dude, i like the windows UI just fine, dunno what you're talking about. cinnamon is better admittedly but i wish they didn't drag in polkit and try to do way more than a UI should try to do, i use icewm now because it's the only linux UI i can find that knows its damn place. not that windows is any better in that regard, it's much worse. but it's still a well designed UI. didn't have a problem with it to be desu, only reason i switched to ubuntu was because it came on the laptop my dad got me, accidentally broke the install one day which forced me to get deeper into linuxshit while still in 9th grade, slowly realized i liked linux better and now i use gentoo because i genuinely prefer it but let me tell you there's no way i'd prefer it if i hadn't been forced to use the command line, the functionality is great but the UI (at least before you install xorg + a DE) is abysmal compared to Windows, comma,

>t. babby duck

If it hadn't been for normies, literally none of us would be here because computer technology would have never developed without them to become a subject of anynomous conversation between people from all over the world.

If it hadn't been for normies, not only wouldn't we have Windows, we would not have GNU\Linux.

>a producer's viewpoint is inherently different from a consumer
then explain how I'm able to adopt both viewpoints and make a thread like this whilst'd've looking over + understanding kernel code UwU

because you're willing to comprimise the quality of being a producer for the sake of convience as a consumerr. this is known as being an amateur.

meanwhile, someone who goes the other way, that is, they compromise consumer convenience for performance, is known as a professional. this is the distinction.

so i guess to answer your question is that this world has amateurs and professionals, and a professional won't make compromises.

/thread

No, I'm not willing to compromise, I just believe it's always possible to have it both ways without compromise no matter what and anyone who doesn't accomplish this is doing it wrong :^) :^)

Based on your "logic" PC gonna be irrelevant in the future and micro&soft have not much business with the handhelds and it's already in progress.

Even if you have, then someone come up with a weird name to call it bloat (feature creep)

>has to look over multiple windows for different tasks
>isn't compromising

Someone's lying ;3c

based

get back to your help desk you utter normalfag

A normie wouldn't be able to implement a UI that appeals to normies.

Almost every single "cool" thing normies enjoy is thanks to specialized research (including military) or plain nerdism.
Videogames (including CGI tech), the Internet itself, etc...
Take the last fad app that every normie is using: FaceApp.
As you know this tech was not developed to please normies. It comes from research and even hobbyist nerds.
Do you think normies would ever make something like this? They are baffled by it because they don't even think it's possible. And you can't create anything if you can't imagine.
Maybe some entrepreneur, taking 200 years more, would eventually come up with something similar from scratch. But you know how much effort has been put in CV/ML to get here. It is very unlikely.

Sometimes you cannot reduce complexity without adding hampering constraints or running up cost unnecessarily. You need complex layers to create simple functions and interface. Developing the accessibility of the end user's experience is related to the existence of complex technology as complex.