I'm done with Winshit

Redbull me on Hackintosh. Give me the truth. How stable it is? What works and what doesn't? Can you update the system without fucking shit up?

I'm mostly using it for music making, so audio is the main priority.

Attached: hackintosh___a_logo_by_complxdesign.png.jpg (894x894, 80K)

Install Linux Mint. If you don't have some audio tools on Linux then just stay on windows. Hackintosh is not worth it.

Why do they always have to make these "I'm 12 and this looks cool" logos?

Unfortunately, Linux is not an option. It's missing too much software, for starters.
I know my way around Windows, but it's just shit for some music related things, like multi-client audio/midi.

tonymacx86 is a decent resource, basically some people who compile other peoples' work into easy to use packages and take credit for it
I stopped hackintoshing in 2014 because Linux started to suit my needs better but back then you could get things working 100%, including updates, and there were no stability issues. This was right before Apple started all the system integrity protection bullshit, but clover bootloader would basically handle everything by injecting kexts (drivers) and setting other options at boot time, so the actual install of OS X could be completely vanilla, no custom shenanigans needed.

if you value your sanity just install Linux or buy a Mac

>Hackintosh is not worth it.
Op go suck dicks.

>wanting music related things
you have to be over 18 to post here

>How stable it is
perfectly stable if you use vanilla and know what you're doing (vanilla)
>What works and what doesn't
applications that save information to nvram, so imessages don't work without extra work
>Can you update the system without fucking shit up
yes

why would you go through the pain in the ass of nigger-rigging a system to use a fisher price OS? If you're not going with windows, there's literally no excuse not to pick linux instead.

you have to be over 18 to post here

This, hackintosh is a novelty.

Can confirm, Hackintosh is fun to mess around with to get it working if you're into that sorta thing, but maintaining it as a means of productivity can cost you way too much time to be worth it.
You'll also need to look up stuff beforehand, compatible hardware and known issues, and try minimizing incompatibility. You're guaranteed to go insane otherwise.

>Redbull

Anyways OP, I have used hackintosh between 2016 and 2018 for certain periods of time.

>How stable it is?
Here's the thing. The base system is pretty fucking stable by itself. Whatever is fully or natively compatible doesn't break easily. That is until Apple decides to push out an update that adds a feature, so said feature might be buggy. APFS was a bit of a headache, and the first two versions of each major update are usually not the best to keep. The trick is to keep using 10.x.5 or 10.x.6 for a while until the next version has reached .2 at least.

>Can you update the system without fucking shit up?
Minor releases yes. Major releases can become an issue and require newer stuff. It's important to install all kexts (kernel extensions or basically, drivers) on the EFI partition rather than your main partition in order to make that shit not delete itself after an update. There's a tool that lets you download kexts automagically and put them on the right place and everything these days.

>I'm mostly using it for music making
Keep in mind compatibility. Many dedicated sound cards do not work with hackintosh at all. Most people who use hackintosh use onboard realtek stuff which works mostly fine.

It has a bit of a learning curve, but if you have a basic understanding on how to set up a friendly linux distro you'll have no problems with this, unless you have fairly obscure hardware. You'll learn that certain things, like power management do require some setting up. Also that your graphical performance will take a hit. Latency wise you might not have problems at all, again, it all depends on the hardware that's natively supported. Also there's some USB 3.0 fuckery, so be careful with that one.

I don't use the system anymore (because honestly it's fairly limited in functionality) but I'll admit it's nowhere as shitty as some people make it out to be. Nowhere. For basic stuff and editing it's completely fine.

>I'm mostly using it for music making, so audio is the main priority.
If it's something you mainly want to do on your computer, just get a refurbished Mac, nigga. The amount of work it takes to make Hackintosh work in the first place is rarely worth it unless you already have hardware which would work 100%.

I mean you could vm it with passthrough on a linux base system but why would you want to do that?

>Recommend the worst possible option for audio production

>how stable is it?
Great, it is a stolen OS, so stability is great.

>Many dedicated sound cards do not work with hackintosh at all.
Damn. That pretty much settles it then.

I forgot, I meant internal. Anything external, as long as it works on mac, it works there.

With enough tinkering, it is actually very usable!
I had to flash the BIOS to a custom one, swap out the Wi-Fi card, put more RAM in it, and now, I have it hooked up to a 22" monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse.
It's running High Sierra 10.13.6, has Homebrew, and it runs just fine.
Keyboard combinations are the things that drive me nuts, I barely use a mouse for file manipulation, typing, doing stuff, and the Mac's "command" key bugs the shit outta me.

Attached: mmexport1562347090301.jpg (1080x1478, 144K)

Everything depends on your hardware. Check the hackintosh boards to see what other people are using. Right hardware, easy as installing a linux distro. Unsupported hardware, pain and misery.