/hpg/ - Headphones General

How to request purchase advice
>location
>budget
>open/closed/semiopen
>on ear/over ear
>sound signature (if unsure, what music do you like best?)
>previous headphones
>bluetooth?
For IEMs Previous thread:

Attached: 1.jpg (222x238, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPXiOirncTA
amazon.com/Neoteck-Headphone-Amplifier-Rechargeble-Computers/dp/B01MS22YWV/ref=asc_df_B01MS22YWV/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309818644684&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11787379139198631146&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028036&hvtargid=pla-570116115330&psc=1
aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190720070222&SearchText=superlux
youtu.be/b5ttxDRiZls
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

his mustache looks like a turd

First for END GAME

Attached: 2DB35331-0DB7-4EC5-9576-6EDBCFDB808D.jpg (4032x3024, 2.18M)

>buy 58X
>checking forums/google
>many say they are good if you have no amp, but suggest 6XX are better with amp
>have a decent amp
Did I fuck up?

Why are you here 24/7 doing this?

Serious question.

Pickering PH-4955. God, they were awful. Just like everything about the '70s.

I am a loser.

what are everyone's thoughts on the Hifiman HE4XX's?

Would be good for prog rock & would I need a amp?

Attached: M26XWv5oTRi6HXFT1RQa_hifiman.jpg (500x500, 32K)

Has anyone ever gotten to listen to the Orpheus headphone from Sennheiser? Its kind of legendary for being the world's greatest headphone and has a pricetag to match ($55,000) and was created in 1991, during the peak of audio equipment/ headphone enthusiasm.

They have these dizzying specs according to the site: Open-back, diffuse-field compensated. Transducer principle: electrostatic, push-pull. Frequency response: 25Hz–75kHz, –3dB. Distortion:

Attached: z_z_digitfreak_000019.jpg (800x449, 61K)

Supposedly the sound quality is so great that most people cry on their first listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=QPXiOirncTA

Attached: maxresdefault (3).jpg (1280x720, 58K)

Still waiting for my ATH-M40X to arrive aaaaaaaa

It's called marketing

I've listened to it and despite the exaggerated hype it really is the sound of heaven. Its way beyond the budget of anyone in /hpg/ though.

customers cry because they realize how much money they wasted on that overpriced trash

but you can still be a loser and post like 50% less. It would be much less annoying that way.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 20K)

Rude.

I'm assuming I will need an amp then.

>US
>$100
>Closed
>Over ear
>Hard rock from 90's
>Koss KSC75
>No bluetooth, wired, bonus points for detachable cable

When you're shopping for one, try to get a vacuum tube amp, it'll be well worth the investment for the HE4XX's, don't settle for a cheap amplifier like this: amazon.com/Neoteck-Headphone-Amplifier-Rechargeble-Computers/dp/B01MS22YWV/ref=asc_df_B01MS22YWV/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309818644684&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11787379139198631146&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028036&hvtargid=pla-570116115330&psc=1

Attached: bad amp.png (451x404, 135K)

>Germany
>150€
>closed
>over ear
>lotta bass, house and techno
>Sony MDR-XB500
>must have noise cancelling, must work wired, no bluetooth

the Sennheiser HD 4.50 btnc seem to be a popular choice, do they work on wire only?

rubbish

I have a max of like $80 for a amp, is there anything good under that price?

Has anyone tried Ragnarok 2 with its apparently revolutionary Nexus™ gain stage?

Attached: 342FFEAF-2A7F-4CEA-BB7A-F655034513B2.jpg (960x720, 69K)

its probably garbage

Thoughts on hdv820, used, for a decent price?

Attached: DSC_9291.jpg (700x467, 104K)

What price? We need to know what Schiit amp you could get for the same price...

The cheapest one is 1200£

I don't get this meme. Headphones can only approach accuracy, asymptotically I should add, they can't make a sound sound better than it would in real life just by virtue of being played through the headphones. Right? Is this assumption wrong somehow?
If not, then why would anyone get emotional over amazing headphones? Nobody cries when they go to a concert hall and listen to live music - which is the most "real" for of sound, with no digital processing anywhere whatsoever. (I guess things like resonator chambers found in various instruments would count as analogue processing, but if you're not this pedantic then you could also add that there's no processing whatsoever, at least not after it leaves the instrument.) And concert halls are very carefully designed to minimise any acoustic distortion based on seating location, which is obviously not always perfectly possible but you just have to not sit in some retarded $5 spot in a bumfuck nowhere corner to get good sound.

So what in a $50k headphone could possibly make people more emotional than hearing the raw, original, unprocessed sound?

No idea about the headphone, I was laughing at the prog rock part :)

Let me enjoy my white man music. I don't mock yours lol.

DT770 Pro

>DT770 Pro
This. Sennheiser has a great name but they don't even produce their stuff in Germany anymore. If you want great headphones for a fair price go for Beyerdynamic

it's sh(i)it

But beyerdynamic don't give you replaceable cables till you buy the high end stuff.

thank you I will check them out
I haven't had a headphone cable break so far, and the use is limited to desktop, I think/hope it's not an issue for me

>Reskinned Hd 650
>Good
Lol

Now I finally can tell you where is ath-es10 got boosted or in other words got shines through. Around 5k and 10k boosted in 3db and 1,5k 2,5k got boosted in 1,5 db. It got balanced in the bright side

Attached: OMNISCIENT POWER.jpg (3264x1836, 1.35M)

>650s are bad
everything sux0rz xd

A 280$ made me cry couple times lol

Is the galaxy buds a meme? Should I buy it or are there better alternatives?

>under $80 for a headphone amp

Attached: image.jpg (480x360, 101K)

Heard them at CamJam and they're a meme, a status symbol. They sound no better than any modern high end electrostats or planar. Anyone who says otherwise is experiencing placebo.

This is the audiophile version of the bugman.

I need a powered USB hub to hopefully stop some noise I'm hearing from my USB DAC.

Heard people say that USB 2 is preferred over USB 3 for some reason, plus wouldn't mind one that has a USB-C input so I can try the $10 Apple DAC that's apparently good.

Anyone have a similar setup? Recommend any powered hubs?

Attached: pope's here bitch.gif (400x223, 1.53M)

All amps sound the same lol.

Looks like a shit on his lips lmao

Planars are typically more difficult to drive. Never listened to those, but pretty sure they'll need an amp last time I looked into it. Do some research.

>gizmodo
>crying
colour me surprised.

HD6XX is better but 58X is still good. Better leave this place before people try to convince you all Sannies are veiled and you shoulda bought STAX

>laughing at prog
That makes no sense.

Remember to use a low output impedance source if you don't want your headphones to sound like shit. This is from an HD 599.

Attached: HD599.png (788x736, 81K)

Schiit Magni 3 B stock for $79.
Amps are important. Especially if you want accurate frequency response from your headphones.

Hi, looking for headphone advice,
Amazon
20-30 bucks
Preferably closed
Over Ear
I mostly use them to play games
Previous headphones where Hyperx cloud 2, They broke I dont need the headset to have microphone anymore because I have a separate Microphone, Just want new headphones
No bluetooth

Thanks

Stay away from this place if you want any good advice, it's few and far between. HE4XX are pretty good though. Yes, you'll need an amp. Check out JDS Atom.

KSC75 for open and good sound.

Idk, maybe Monoprice Premium Hi-Fi DJ Style if you have to have closed.

Do DACs matter, though? I've been into this hobby for years and never bothered to replace my cheap DAC because /hpg/ sometimes said I didn't matter between two shitposts. The thing is I still don't really know because I didn't get to try anything else.

>because /hpg/ sometimes said I didn't matter
it didn't matter*
Of course I don't matter.

DAC or AMP? Amps matter more. Output impedance is important. See

Thanks, the ksc75 are clip right? I dont like that, Ill check the Monoprice

DACs. Of course amps matter.

Attached: 1497843818424.jpg (1024x1024, 76K)

I'm trying to look into this as well, but it's fucking expensive to buy shit just to test it.

I take a u d i o p h i l e opinions like a grain of salt, these cunts have no idea what they're talking about. One guy reckons $500 cables make a difference, the next reckons they don't sound any different. Both have tested them,

And there's so many points of failure when you look at possible problems with audio quality.

You can't win. Just buy a 32 ohms DT770s and call it a day. No amp, not this, no that. Just plug them in and listen. Otherwise you'll go nuts chasing the dragon. And you'll die never knowing if he existed.

>I'm trying to look into this as well, but it's fucking expensive to buy shit just to test it.
>I take a u d i o p h i l e opinions like a grain of salt, these cunts have no idea what they're talking about.
More or less this. /hpg/ would probably need a pastebin redpill on that in the OP but we don't really have any cohesion anymore so that wouldn't tell much.

For a DAC are you using your motherboard out into your amp? A good DAC will output 2.1v, so that's one main advantage. A motherboard will not do this. Also some lesser DACs don't have accurate frequency response, some roll-off. So in my opinion a good DAC (Topping D10 will do just fine) is completely worth it for peace of mind. It's not a huge investment. $72 on Amazon US right now.

Before you do that, see if you can stretch to a ATH-M20x.

I recommend increasing your budget at least a bit for over ear gaming headphones. Maybe superlux681evo for example, ~$50

Oh yea, forgot about Superlux. Some really cheap options on Aliexpress too.

aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20190720070222&SearchText=superlux

I'm just using the DAC part of an E10K into an O2 amp.
It's probably fine already, but you can only know what you're hearing, not what you didn't get to hear. I'd assume >$200 DACs don't improve anything beyond pointlessly high bitrates and side features.

Thanks, the superlux and M20x look like what im looking for, I can stretch it for the m20x, are the superlux better? does the sound quality change that much?

>I'm using a Schiit Fulla 2. Using it as a DAC/AMP: no noise.
>Using it only as a DAC, with another amp (NuForce HA200): noise.
>Using the NuForce on its own: no noise.
Cannot win.

E10K into an O2 should be just fine. I wouldn't worry about it then. Only noticable thing from a better DAC would be slightly higher output I'd imagine.

I'll take your word, then. Thanks for the peace of mind.

The Superlux are pretty bright, not sure if you are sensitive to that or not. You might like that, idk. I would read some reviews.

No problem. E10k is a respectable little unit. I also love my O2. Got it from Massdrop.

Buy Stax

Thanks

Remember, if you have any problems about choosing gear, always rely on pic related. Z for Zeos!

Attached: 6E95A16E-CF53-401C-BFDC-BC030E9963FE.jpg (512x512, 13K)

My Superlux HD668B are still the best headphones I've tried. The sound is clear and feels dynamic, more so than other more expensive headphones I've tried - I also have Sony MDR-100X (wireless, noise-cancelling), and it sounds seriously muffled compared to the Superluxes even with the noise cancelling disabled. I've also tried a few mid-tier (definitely not high-end) headphones from Beyerdynamic and others, and they kinda didn't sound quite as snappy as the Superluxes from what I remember.

Do I just have shitty taste, or are the Superluxes really that good? And is there a clear upgrade path from them, considering they're fairly uncomfortable to wear with glasses?

Attached: 118525-p171020.jpg (489x600, 41K)

Quick Q: Do you turn off your Class A amplifiers, or leave them on forever?

grado sr225e or audio technica ad700x? id also like them for playing games

If I were you I'd thanks the good lord above that you love shitty headphones and never turn back.

If it sounds good, it is good (to you). And that's all that matters. Don't go looking for trouble, it's not worth it.

>Stay away from this place if you want any good advice
Sources of useful headphone information
>audiosciencereview
>headfi
>Jow Forums circa 2011
>reddit
>facebook
>tumblr
>nexopia
>myspace
>Jow Forums current day

If the SR225E is like the SR80
and the AD700X is like the AD700 (it is)

No competition, AD700X. Much (much) more comfy, decent sound. Good sound stage (okay imaging) for gaming. The AD700X will be much more comfy, as they sit around the ears, instead of over. This is a very big point. Grados usually good for rock music and that's it.

Disclaimer: I have no tried either of these headphones, but I own the AD700s, and my mate owns the Grado SR80s. So I have tried those.

***quoted wrong post***

If the SR225E is like the SR80
and the AD700X is like the AD700 (it is)

No competition, AD700X. Much (much) more comfy, decent sound. Good sound stage (okay imaging) for gaming. The AD700X will be much more comfy, as they sit around the ears, instead of over. This is a very big point. Grados usually good for rock music and that's it.

Disclaimer: I have no tried either of these headphones, but I own the AD700s, and my mate owns the Grado SR80s. So I have tried those.

I get your point. I've wasted enough time in my life getting sucked into equipment autism so I'm trying to avoid that here.

I should have no issues sticking to budget headphones then, especially since I've understood some Superlux models are really decent youtu.be/b5ttxDRiZls

>id also like them for playing games
I personally don't see the need/appeal to consider gaming when investing in audio. Literally anything can handle the loud explosions and other noises exclusive to game content? Just buy for music imo

Gayming basically means bright cans with good imaging. They're mostly all bright (bass makes everything else harder to hear), but then they have shitty 8.1 meme drivers that don't help at all.

I'd avoid anything labelled gaming (that goes for anything outside of headphones too) and search for something with good imaging.

You are used to boosted treble. That's why you feel that way. It's as simple as that.

Whatever you do with any other amp.

I do like high treble, probably have a natural preference for it since I still prefer the sound of HD668 even after mainly using the MDR-1000X for about two years.

Checked mein fuhrer.
That's why Jow Forums thinks Sennheisers are veiled and shit (they're not).

Have you ever tried SHP9500s? You might like them a lot. The treble is not as boosted, but the sound is clear and very good.

The more I use my HD 650s the more I see why they're so good.

Other amps don't have on/off switches.

Class A needs to warm up, and last time I turned it off, it had a buzzing sound as it warmed up, that sounded broken.

The age old question: is it more harmful to keep electronics on forever, or turn them off then on, and give them a jolt of power every time.

No I haven't but thanks for the rec! They seem pretty nice and well-reviewed, definitely goes on the top of my list for the next headphones to buy.

I've never been one to leave my equipment on 24/7. Nothing stays on for more than 12 hours at a time. I've never had any problems.

I have the HD6XXs, and to be perfectly honest, every time I listen to music it's juts so wonderful. Never had this feeling with any other cans.

They're incredible honestly. Do you have an amp?

>Do you have an amp?
No, I'm a bit of a pleb honestly...

You should get something. Just make sure it has a low output impedance. JDS Atom is a good option. For $79 you can get a Schiit Magni 3 B-stock. Pretty solid option. Idk where you live though.