Whats wrong with Debian?

Whats wrong with Debian?

hardmode: no systemd

Attached: AB846A6A-F532-41C7-B613-E510B7909284.png (300x395, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Features_Matrix
michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2019-03-10-debian-winding-down/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The new update (Chronic Cobweb) holds too many packages back

you know you can just replace systemd right?

Literally nothing; Debian is the best of the 3 GNU/Linux distros that exist. You could argue that Fedora is better, if you like sucking corporate cock, but you better drink that cum while it's still warm, because it won't last forever. You could also argue that Ubuntu, if you're ignorant, but you're simply wrong.

10 is such a basic number

nothing its comfy, ive moved to arch and think i prefer it because of the aur but still run debian on my server and some thinkpads

Attached: 1558244027095.png (700x932, 705K)

The current version has some minor glitches. Not anything else I can think about really.

Does that include installing but not booting on some hardware? That happened for me on two of my machines.

>hardmode: no systemd
Systemd is most of what's wrong with debian, so I reject your terms.

>no package hardening by default
All of Fedora packages are compiled with hardening flags (even in RPMFusion free), which debian does not do: fedoraproject.org/wiki/Security_Features_Matrix
>bugs can go years without being solved even if bug reports exist
The i3 creator made a blogpost about leaving debian: michael.stapelberg.ch/posts/2019-03-10-debian-winding-down/

And by default hardening Debian can take some time configuring sysctl.conf, setting /tmp to actually be temporary, enabling APT’s new hardening flags, etc.

In my own experiences Debian also will have packages that need updates but doesn’t push them. In particular, youtube-dl, and when it was around, dnscrypt-proxy. For dnscrypt, after 2 years the project had moved to a new maintainer and the servers it had defined were out of date. So I downloaded new server definitions, but the point being you can left dead in the water. Youtube-dl is also useless in debian stable since it requires constant updates to even work. I also remember not being able to use v3 onion URLs because this feature was only part of a newer Tor release.

As for corporate cock sucking, you do realize that debian uses the same exact technologies as fedora and opensuse right? The source does NOT matter in FOSS software. I don’t care if microsoft or jewgle died this very instant, but their contributions are part of the kernel like it or not. To conclude, I like debian a lot, but it’s not perfect.

Recently installed (net iso of course).
I installed firmware-atheros but i get a weird error message bug that says something about not being loaded after the /sda popup when i boot in

AppArmor. Since Debian 10 it's enabled by default. Still best distro.

systemd is everything that's wrong it.

If it weren't for systemd I would still be with Debian.

>systemd is everything that's wrong it.
there's also th efact that it's a bineary disptro

ubuntu is better than debian stable
debian testing is better than ubuntu

:^)

>the 3 GNU/Linux distros that exist
install gentoo

will do it as fast as my new western digital ssd comes

Devuan is a fork that is non-systemd. I only used it a couple of days as I was quickly trying out different distros, but I found that it was good enough to make a disk image of the install for later restoration. Unfortunately I never went back to it as I'm happy with artix (non-systemd fork of Arch).

Some stuff, but compared to every other distro, it's probably the best to get shit done and build stuff on top of it.

im back to oldstable after performing benchmarks (even with spectre/meltdown/etc mitigations disabled), probably apparmor related

>The i3 creator made a blogpost about leaving debian
All the stuff he as a developer thinks are bugs, I as a user regard as features. In fact the slow-moving, if not cumbersome, nature of it is why I chose it. I don't want developers to "move fast and break things". The more a project (whether an individual application or a whole distro) favors what's now usually called "programmer productivity", the more that causes problems for me. Developers are incredibly novelty-seeking and always want to be on to something new. I'd much prefer to set up something that works and then have it keep working without disruption, even if there's three ways it could work better that the developers would try in turn if possible.

Yes, there are a few things for which a very current version is necessary, and youtube-dl is a good example of that. But those are small in number and I can either get them from backports or build them myself. More than 99% of the packages on my system are not at all like that. And for those, Debian's stodgy nature is exactly what I want.

I mean, I use Devuan because I liked debian before the systemd cancer.
I installed it and cannot be happier

it doesn't agree very much with my rtl8822be network card

debian is literally sucking fedora's cock tho
remember systemd? hell every single major distros are following redhat

how? debian apt has some auto configuration when you install packages that rely on systemd

>packages that need updates but doesn’t push them. In particular, youtube-dl
I've even seen youtube-dl become functionally obsolete on Xubuntu, so it doesn't surprise me Debian can't keep up with it.

A somewhat autistic package maintenance: old packages, needing to install anything only from their repos and only as they told you, else your install will shit itself sooner or later.
Some questionable decisions made lately, as embracing systemd and SELinux. The first one goes against Debian's old stability standards; the fact the later was considered in the first place is a big red flag.

If I wanted outdated packages and prioritized stability I would choose CentOS or RHEL depending on my budget. Debian is an amateur project compared to what memehat is doing.
If I wanted an stable workstation environment with commercial support (or just instructions for it) I would choose Fedora. It just works.
If I were a power user and/or cared about poetteringware, I would choose Void Linux or Gentoo.
And finally, if I cared a lot about security I would learn to love OpenBSD.
Debian isn't wrong, or really bad, it's just that there are better options no matter your use case.

More like easy mode, the debian organization is bureaucracy at its finest.
Delaying bug fixes because the maintainer is sucking dick, and passing it out as "" stability "".
It's a fucking joke of a distribution for a desktop, at least security is taken as seriously as any other distribution.
But other bufixes backports are always leaved in the dark.
Without mentioning, how stupid is the FSH and how packaging is a pain in the ass. And how the package manager can't rollback versions, or how it fucks up dependencies at uninstalling anything.

Fuck Debian, I'm using Fedora now.

yeah, they should use prime numbers.
10 remembers me of windows

these, literally anything else but debian or based on debian.