Get job as IT jr sys Admin

>get job as IT jr sys Admin
>first gig feels good
>everything using windows 7 still
>one task they brought me in for was to set up imaging and upgrading to windows 10
>want me to use WDS for it, even though setting up a linux server for it would be better. Explain it to Systems guy they all laugh, and say to using windows
>setting up linux on the server and workstations could solve virus issues, save tons of money, and make the workstations run so much better
>LOL user I know this is your first gig but you got a few things to learn, the work place runs on windows
>explain most the internet runs on linux and many call centers like dell and HP are switching to linux for their desktops, even fucking M$ has linux desktops
>Nope sticking with windows LOL!

Why are there so many dipshits in IT who are complete dinosaurs?

Attached: 1562214780040.png (757x720, 498K)

There is nothing fancy or new about Linux. My uncle put mint on my grandads laptop because it is a simple OS that meets his needs.
Windows meets your workplaces needs. Does linux have adobe suite, microsoft office, visual studio or a decent accounting package?
>But linux has many open source options for those.
Yea and maybe if my time was worthless I would pursue those.

>Does linux have adobe suite, microsoft office, visual studio or a decent accounting package?
Gimp will do most the shit adobe will do for changing text banners or putting fixing a cat picture and takes no time to learn.
Open office/libre office can still type your shit just fine even has more plugins that aren't crap
Accounting can be done with a slew of free shit that isn't coded by poos and is probably spyware ridden

>talking about setting up a linux server
>clueless retard starts talking about simple OS for grandfathers and adobe suite and microsoft office

I actually wish there were competent/not troll Windows shills on Jow Forums I'm actually curious if there is some sort of advantage or if it's just uninformed obstinence

you are a fucking retard nerd get a grip

you can't beat exchange tho

Most people don't know what an OS is. They were conditioned in school to use Windows and to them Windows and 'Computers' means the same thing. If a normie is struggling with an issue with Windows, they never say 'I hate Windows' they say 'I hate computers!'. You will NEVER get these people to use Linux or any other OS, it has taken years of conditioning and practice for them to just barely get by 'using' Windows.

>Yea and maybe if my time was worthless I would pursue those.
You had to put in time to learn the proprietary shit too the only difference is your school probably conditioned you on how to use M$ shit. You shouldn't be happy about that.

Dont take it personal OP, enjoy having a job, making money and some stability or risk burnout/alcoholism like I did.

Freetard cope. WInchads win again LMAO

Slack

Yea okay because gimp can replace Photoshop, illustrator and In Design. If it could it would, but its not reliable and not easy to use because adobe wrote the rule book.
I would rather use office online than the waste of hdd space that is open office. You can tell when your reading a file made in those knock off products. And I don't have time for finding plugins if I can buy a package ready to go.
>Accounting can be done with a slew of free shit that isn't coded by poos and is probably spyware ridden
I am not even sure what your trying to say here, plenty of good packages such as MYOB or Xero.

I'm not trying to convince you to use windows, I'm just telling you why I won't use Linux for anything more than a hobby.

Any tips on getting a jr sys admin job?

But user YOU are the dipshit in this situation.

>>explain most the internet runs on linux and many call centers like dell and HP are switching to linux for their desktops, even fucking M$ has linux desktops
I got side tracked by this, I thought OP was retarded enough to want to make everyone use linux. Sure a server can be linux depending on what its for.

Have a family member in HR/Management

Know the correct people

No I want to switch everyone to linux instead of windows 10 spyware paid edition.

Linux would run far better on the machines without needing SSD's to make windows 10 load. Use less ram and cpu for everyday tasks, never need to worry about spyware/viruses. Free so costs can go to our salaries or equipment. It would save so much time and money for everyone, I wouldn't have to deal with someone downloading FREE SUPER BOOSTER.EXE or any shit like that.

>set up imagine server
>image pc's with ubuntu
>change people to firefox+addons like noscript, ublock, etc for safety
>have scripts for shares and printers to be added
>done

No need for a domain or anything it's so cheap and easy. I works fine for me I even switched my parents over, only hang up was a faxer they had but it was a crappy bargin bin one so I got one from frys that was better anyways and it worked fine.

Actually there was a paper in my degree, I think programming operating systems. We used ubuntu for it. But degrees are a meme for enslaving the future workforce.

Ha you see? He is an idiot! Why would you even want a HDD in 2019.

Nigger, boomers can barely open their email
Switching your company to Linux would grind everything to a halt.

Do your job ffs
You just seem autistic

>someone downloading exe files on the internet
someone is not doing his job lmao

For that your coworkers are right. As long as microsoft office holds it iron grip you won't get windows out of workplaces. If you're enthusiastic try to get into backend, it's all linux (sometimes even BSD) there.

Attached: 1555277027372.jpg (1080x2220, 940K)

because windows sysadmins are a complete joke

Windows = people who contribute economically to society
Linux = parasites of society

Even then I could set up virtual servers and deliver the app to the user. Or set up a startup script to open a VNC session to a windows server for the apps.

You have never done real work before if you say Open or Libre are good enough. Try opening a 100 mb excel file and tell me how smooth you can scroll trhough it without crashing.

truth has been told here

Attached: 1550280515272.jpg (223x227, 8K)

>in the real world people use shit software :)
Why even bother saying this

>sysadmin
>windows
You picked the wrong OS. Enjoy your deadend job.
Or look for a unix sysadmin job ASAP.

>muh excel spreadsheet which is probably functionally nothing more than a csv
>windows is fast
>windows saves you time

The thing about sysadmins and other systems maintenance people, particularly those that work in the public sector, is that they're really just the types of people too incompetent to actually be creating anything new. Particularly people who work in the public sector are really just there because they're too incompetent to get an equivalent job in the private sector.

As such they're obviously only going to know Windows and be openly hostile towards anything outside of their area of expertise. This is usually just a defense mechanism against having to come to terms how they're not technically inclined people, just ones who have used a particular vendor's software enough to know how to keep it running.

Webserver admins are a different bag, but they do need to have development knowledge and experience so they're obviously going to be on an entirely different level and thus not going to be hostile towards anything that isn't running Windows.

So in other words: Don't worry. They're obviously all just incompetent. I've worked in the industry for over a decade and I've never ran into a windows sysadmin that I could actually call technically inclined or actually competent outside of Microsoft-specific use cases.

And how is that simpler than just slashing windows on every PC and who's gonna fix it if you're leaving the place? Look into a mirror and realise that you're currently trying to burden yourself in work just for the sake of it. Again keep it low and try to switch to back end.

It has more to do with the adaptation effort (even if small), it's not broken so they don't want to fix it. Relax user, you are new and while you ideas might be good or correct, it's hard to make people change their mind from the start, specially if it's about something that A: already works and B: has being so for a long time.
Give it some time, gain some respect by doing whatever they need the best you can, do listen to advices and suggestions as people appreciate you caring for what they think (it's more of a "showing humility" thing, you can still be right and know more than them), rise a bit in the company. Eventually you will have power enough to make more choices and changes while having backup from the people around you.

you're a junior; shut up and do your job, get your industry experience to put on your cv and a good reference and move on. nobody likes a smartass junior

>what do you NEETs think about my imminent firing?

Kinda wish it was a hard requirement to know linux before working in IT

Nah, they'll just dead-end his career until he quits on his own

It's not your job to decide things like that. It's your job to do what they say so just fucking do it.

>IT jr sys Admin
>walks in and demands the entire infra be changed to linux
>calls everyone dipshits
Now you know why freetards are all jobless NEETs.

Attached: 1544826348196.jpg (800x450, 45K)

Just be yourself

>it
>linux
neckbeards don't work

Imagine being this autistic
I thought you just wanted to install Linux on some backend server

Nothing wrong with pushing linux to desktops in 2019

bro who cares if its shit just do what ur told to do desu

honestly i'd say the same thing if some cocky newbie came in and tried to start changing shit. it's a sign of immaturity to just assume you know better than your more experienced peers

You're a retard and will be fired in 3 weeks.

Holy fuck kid IT is not for you. Find a new career.

>Be new kid
>Try to implement changes nobody asked you for
Just do your job newbie.

running a rigged kerberos winbind bullshit on linux is a nightmare. Active Directory is the only way to manage windows workstations you fucking neet noob.

>all these windows shills

If I knew Jow Forums was such a fucking win shit place I would have just complained back on somethingawful

This.

You cant expect to come in as a newbie and expect everyone to bow down to your ideas.

Thats how a lot of issues at work start.... someone wanted to do it a "new" way when change wasnt really needed and now the servers been down for 17 hours and customers are getting PISSED.

Sorry to break it to you but you were/are the dipshit. If you have at least half a brain and work a little longer you will eventually learn...

>Thats how a lot of issues at work start.... someone wanted to do it a "new" way when change wasnt really needed and now the servers been down for 17 hours and customers are getting PISSED.

Sounds like a windows issue. If you know linux and implement it right you never need to reboot it

>hired to do X
>"Why don't we do Y instead?"
user if you hired a helper to install linux and they just cried all day that really the whole business should just use macs would you think well of them

Quality bait.

windows network stack is garbage, and even MS uses linux servers now

I use linux at work managing hundreds of linux and BSD servers and routers. I have one windows server under me and it's trash. We only use it cause it has a pretty good eFax software for customers stuck using it still

>society fucks you over
>hurr contribute to society!!!!1!!1!!!1!!!!!!!1!
|
|>
|
|

Just do the work and exit out of there after a year or two. By then you should have enough experience to work most anywhere you want.

If you really are struggling to find work, you can suck up to some contracting house as well.

That's a rather poor excuse when so many projects are starting to outclass the proprietary offerings nowadays.

>he puts adobe suite, office, visual studio, or accounting software on his
>SERVER

the state of Fortochki-fags, everyone

How do I become a sys admin?

>By then you should have enough experience to work most anywhere you want.
No, because he will only have experience with Windows servers, which no one in any high paying job uses. He will be stuck working for peanuts with no verifiable Linux experience.

As a graphic designer, don't ever tell me Gimp can do the same shit as Photoshop. That's not what it was designed for.

>IT

That's already a dinosaur job though. Everyone else is running on AWS/Azure and managed by devops.

Attached: 1553316893183.jpg (715x720, 41K)

>As a graphic designer, don't ever tell me Gimp can do the same shit as Photoshop. That's not what it was designed for.

The fact you state you are a graphic designer means you have no say in anything.

You need to consider the human component.
While linux might be better, getting the whole company to change operating systems overnight would definitely upset some of the less tech-savvy people.
So now you're decreasing morale, and wasting your (and possibly your coworkers') time responding to tickets about the new OS, and decreasing productivity as people learn to adjust.

Did you know that employee acquisition has a cost, user? If even one boomer with a 100k+ job quits because of this (which is likely desu), you're looking at 10k+ just to replace them. Your superiors were right. The best compromise in this case is to negotiate setting up a few linux servers, if possible, as a POC, for things that don't require windows. Then, when you demonstrate their viability to your superiors, you can continue porting your backend things to linux.

Dude learn the fucking windows infrastructure. It doesn't matter if linux is better.

Is this bait? LARPing? lmao
>jr
act like it, noob

They're not gonna say it, but it's just they don't have experience with Linux.
They will rather lie than admit it. Very normal behavior.

And even if you can persuade them who's gonna manage the box? They're not gonna do it, they have 0 experience in Linux.

Samba works just fine as an AD DC

>people still run BSD in production
and other hilarious jokes you can tell yourself

connections, that's it

op you need to learn to let go. use your goodwill in your personal projects, do at work what they pay you to do. sucks dick, but you try to learn skills that bridge you into working on better places and more interesting things, or getting rich fast so you can retire and do whatever the fuck

>waaah they don't let me, a jr who's been in the company for 2 days, replace crucial infrastructure with whatever shit I find good due to my autism
you won't last there

AWS / Azure / Devops?

If you're a linux system administrator, you're already 80% of the way to those jobs, retard.

Learn windows and do your fucking job so you don't get fired.
If they want to install trash systems and pay you to do so, that's their business.

The average office drone shits his pants when the start button if off by two pixels, but doesn't care when the mouse acceleration is completely brokenly retarded.

Switching to Linux is a hard sell.
How will you let them run MS Office without Windows? Don't say LibreOffice, if you do that just means you never actually used Excel and shit. That just means that you are one of those guys for whom GUIs and usability are "for these other people who aren't me".
You will never be able to push Linux until you understand that people are doing actual fucking work on their PCs. To a certain degree, they are attached to Windows because of inertia, but there's also legitimate usability and compatibility reasons.

Tell me, will your Linux installation support an outdated ActiveX applet that only runs in IE6? Will it support that one accounting tool that doesn't run in Wine? What about power users who actually write batch scripts for daily tasks? How do you intend them to continue working when the GUI is suddenly just an addon built over the command line and the shell of choice is bash?

As usual, OP is a clueless fag.

Attached: 1460469682809.png (807x700, 445K)

>company pays you to do X thing
>I-I don't know about X thing, can I do Y thing instead? Everyone does Y thing
>no, we need you to do X thing, the cost-benefit to doing Y-thing is too sharp for our current prospective environment
>>h-hey Jow Forums, look at how delusional these people are. It has nothing to do with me being bad at my job, people are just bad at being customers. This is the correct way to view the world and I refuse to see it any other way.

>Even then I could set up virtual servers and deliver the app to the user.
My company uses Citrix professionally.
It works, but it's also a bit of a shitshow. The Linux receiver for Citrix is completely abysmal, the only way to get it to actually work is to use Igel OS, because the actual package does not even work without Igel's secret sauce.

Igel clients are nice, especially with their remote management interface and the possibility of pushing arbitrary packages and scripts onto any number of clients at will, but Citrix constantly shits itself - Windows suddenly travel into the upper left corner, outside of the screen, apps behave as if they were a layer further to the front than they are and thus react to clicks into another app, sometimes software just glitches out entirely.
It works, but needs constant babysitting. At this point, most users know how to disconnect and reconnect their sessions in order to not need to call the IT department all the fucking time.
And man, switching to Igel has caused quite a lot of whining until people got used to it.

Yeah, and so is anyone who reads a freshmen-level book on AWS. All the specialized knowledge SysAdmins have is irrelevant. All you need is some Associate's degree with a cert or a dev who's willing to learn.

It's the ifconfig problem.
Instead of updating ifconfig, you get an entirely new command with an entirely new syntax and have it pushed without any indication as to why ifconfig is suddenly not available on your distro.
OS fags really love their half-baked redesigns, as well as autistic adherence to outdated designs.
They never find the middle ground.

>Posting on /g
>Thinking your time isn't worthless

kek

I know it's easy to project, but the thing you have to understand is that people don't behave logically. All time spent on Jow Forums is worthless. This is true. All people who spend time on Jow Forums's time is worthless. This is not. See, people whose time is extremely expensive will often do things which are worthless just as a kind of will-to-power, matter-over-mind thing. And I think you see that more and more each day. As people who have, by all intents and purposes "escaped Jow Forums" (having done what many people do in years, grown up and gotten jobs) come back, at first to gloat, but then engulfed in the sheer- eh, stopping there. I don't feel like it, I have work tomorrow.

We use FOG to image machines to Windows 10 because server 2012R2 WDS has a bug when using the unattended setup for UEFI machines. It denies the domain admins group from changing the password on the computer object it creates meaning the unattended setup fails.

Rocket.chat

>forcing your freetard way into other people
Kys

>My coworkers are all married.
>I'm single.
How many Windows servers did you try with? You just need more experience (with Windows administration) I think.

>Implying loonix and libre shit can replace Microsoft's business suite
Not in a million years kiddo.

Attached: 1467839204239.png (1520x855, 771K)

>Linux admin
>DevOps

Other way around actually. Devops are software engineers.

just setup a fucking firewall so the users cant download shit like youtube2Mp3Converter and shit
its your job to keep the business save and not to switching everything to linux fucking retard

a lot of applications of the realword dont work for windows like taxsoftware and shit

>hey user, why is there no MS Word ? I only found some shitty program that looks like Word but keeps crashing.
>hey user, how do I open this PDF file ? It doesn't allow me to install Adobe. What is going on ?
>hey user, why are there no more VPN options only PPP in here ?
>hey user, I was using this application for years to get my work done but its only for Windows, are there any Linux alternatives ?

Attached: 1jp45n.jpg (1280x720, 52K)

I would unironically fire you on your first day. You are clearly not mature enough to be in a working environment. Someone in HR fucked up when they interviewed you. In a job you do as the company and coworkers need, not as you read in some autistic chinese porn website, you retard.

>too incompetent to get an equivalent job in the private sector.
Never, EVER, underestimate how bad the private sector can get. Ever.

Attached: index.jpg (271x186, 11K)

>junior sys admin
>JUNIOR
do as you're fucking told, jesus

Shut the fuck up. There are legitimate uses for server-sides linux. Linux dominates web-servers and phones for a reason. The only thing it lags behind is Desktop use, and that’s largely because the DEs are fragmented.

Bruh you walked into a new job and tried to convince them they should rewrite all their applications and blow up all the existing workflows because you didn't want to do the thing they asked you to do. Is the company a startup with like 15 employees? It would be acceptable then to have that debate, otherwise you're asking for a massive unnecessary paradigm shift because "muh linux"

My company still runs our billing via an AS/400 because there aren't enough dev hours to rewrite the process while also releasing product updates and fixes. Maintaining business infrastructure is very different then fixing your dad's PC.

I’m a senior dev in a very respectable company and I’ve managed to do it. The trick is to do the backend stuff first. Server-sided stuff, not for desktop use.
We’r upgrading all out stuff from Win and AIX to red hat and CentOS

Someone in IT with autism and a fixation on linux? How unusual!