I/Ocaust

Every single manufacturer out there is making sure you get less and less ports to choose with each release.

What's their endgame?

Attached: powerbook_vs_macbook.png (1280x1024, 326K)

Other urls found in this thread:

panasonic.jp/cns/pc/products/rz8k/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

to drag luddites like you kicking and screaming into the present

USB-C replaces all of that and more.

This.

This

>muh ports
based

>What's their endgame?
To maximize profits and leech off post-consumerist, drooling retards like

>USB-C replaces all of that and more.
Good! Now where are the rest of them? You don't expect me to go back to 2001 and use a hub/dongle, do you?

>implying that's post-consumerism
based retard

Lots of ports looks retarded and unaesthetic. Just give me 2 TB3 ports on each side and I'm happy.

I just plug in 1 port these days, and that includes charging, two displays, and ethernet, super nice.

Attached: 1554095473759.jpg (1920x1080, 205K)

NO SHUT UP! I WANT 15 DIFFERENT PORTS AND STANDARDS SWISS CHEESING MY DEVICES FOR MY LEGACY COMPATIBILITY! NO I WILL NOT JUST GET WHATEVER ADAPTER I HAPPEN TO NEED AND FEEL THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE RELEGATED TO MY SPECIFIC HARDWARE!

I've been thinking a bit about this lately, my ideal laptop would have:

Left side: 2xTB3, 1 HDMI, 1 USB-A, 1 Ethernet, 1 Audio jack
Right Side: 1 TB3, 2 USB-A. 1 SD card slot.

My reasoning is that ports most likely to be connected "long-term" when you use the laptop in a desk should be on the left, while ports you use to connect stuff in and out should be on the right. Audio jack should be in the left too, to avoid getting in the way of the mice.

easy just ban linux/gnu

What's the point in uploading that picture ?

>too poor to afford a $20 dongle

blame aesthetics fags and "ultrabook" meme

fuck ports. what about my goddamn upgradability for the CPU,GPU.RAM, and SSD? the only people that supports this still is fucking alienware of all the things. imagine losing out to them.

Attached: game-pod.jpg (780x425, 38K)

VAIO doesn't have this problem.

Attached: VAIO sx12.jpg (1820x1213, 212K)

Less I/O means more cloud dependence
The future is non-upgradable shit heaps (thinmeme) and you will rent extra compute and storage space
And dont forget, cloud computing is glownigger approved

>Every single manufacturer out there is making sure you get fewer and fewer ports to choose with each release.
Fixed.

>what about my goddamn upgradability
How many laptops have you upgraded, user?

Just give me 3 DP out, 2 ethernet, 1 tb3/usb4 and 4 usb 3 and I'm happy.

>less and less ports

I would honestly prefer if we could change all ports to same standard that can do everything from interfacing with USB drives to driving external gpu and charging.
Why is that a bad thing?

Kek, gee luddite in a nutshell

panasonic.jp/cns/pc/products/rz8k/
Peak aesthetics.

Attached: rz6_06.jpg (620x500, 24K)

It's bad because in practice nobody does that. They give you a port that in theory can support charging, video out, and everything else, but actually you can't really know what it supports since there's no good marking scheme everybody follows to clearly label the capabilities.
And even if they did, honestly, having to add circuitry for everything to every port sounds dumb. Having five charging ports will just drive the cost up a ton, and you never, ever need more than one.

You have a point there, no arguing with that.
What I was typing to say is, it would be great if the industry would agree on using one standard port for everything, at least when it comes to PC, laptops and phones.

That way you only need few ports, there would be no need to support gazillion different drivers and shit, whatever you need to do there's standard interface to do it.

With only one, we can do security better too and the total price will go down as everyone would still be competing to stand out.

Less ports needed.
Ethernet, audio jack, 4 USB-A and 4 USB-C would be all you need nowadays.

How is C better than normal USB?

what am i expected to do now?
current laptop is from 2008, not sure what i'll get when it's time to replace it

>no SD card slot
I also think it's high time we began to upgrade from RJ-45 to a more compact, rugged connector. With modern fabrication techniques there's no reason for the damn port to be 10mm tall and 15mm wide or whatever it is. The brittle plastic clip on the top is also a pretty out-dated feature too.

get a thinkpad

i have a thinkpad

off to a good start then

>I also think it's high time we began to upgrade from RJ-45 to a more compact, rugged connector. With modern fabrication techniques there's no reason for the damn port to be 10mm tall and 15mm wide or whatever it is.
they're small enough to assemble by hand, they don't need to be any smaller
you DO know most ethernet cables are made up to the length they're required, right?

>they're small enough to assemble by hand
this came out wrong, i mean they're small enough that assembling by hand is already a bit tricky

>they don't need to be any smaller
All that wasted space though, there's like 4mm of solid plastic without any purpose. Fold the connector up on itself, make it a ~6mmx6mm square connector, two pins of each twisted pair on each side. The rear of the connector would be flared to something more like 10mmx10mm, so you could still insert wires by hand. The crimping tool would be a simple die inserted in one of those 4-sided crimping tools. Since all the pins would be closer to the centre I argue it would be easier to crimp than when all the pins are in a row. Of course you'd need to index one side or corner such that you wouldn't plug it in the wrong way, as it wouldn't be ambidextrous.

Can't we just use coax for everything like the good old days? Plus the ethernet standard requiring isolation is a bit of a pain in the butt, continuous shielding everywhere from the coax could alleviate that, and you could even put DC power over the coax with basically a crossover circuit at either end. Pretty easy to crimp too.
'course the stiff cable is a pain to work with in other ways.

Everything over the network, everything a subscription, everything behind a paywall.

based and usbcpilled

USB-C replacing them wouldn't be as much of an issue if there were an equivalent number of USB-C ports as there are with total I/O of older laptops.

My old laptop has 4 USB, 1 headphone, 1 mic, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 power. For a newer laptop to match this, it would need 11 USB-Cs, which you know damn well it does not. So not only do you need to get adapters for everything, but then you have to either use an awkward splitter box on top of that or juggle around what you have connected at the same time.

And for what?

oh, and I forgot ethernet. Make that 12 USB-Cs

MUH THINNESS is the biggest meme. All that really matters when it comes to laptop dimensions is the length and width, because that's what determines how bulky it is in your bag, on your lap, on your table/desk, how big the screen is, etc.

But the thickness? Whether your laptop is a quarter inch or half an inch thick doesn't make the slightest fucking difference in terms of its portability. The only purpose it serves is too "ooh and ahh" peopel over how thin it is. A literal meme. That extra quarter inch of thickness isn't making it any harder to carry, use, or stow. It's not like a phone where thickness matters because you generally carry it in your pocket and don't want bulging pants.

Attached: 1270542116.jpg (74x126, 4K)

this
also phone thickness doesn't matter

Yeah, that too, it only matters to an extent. Especially when thinness is used as an excuse to get rid of 3.5mm jacks on phones. Fuck that shit.

gotta plug them analog holes
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_hole

>What's their endgame?
Laptops are low margin products
Dongles are high margin products

selling a few dongles makes a company more money than a laptop

USB-C makes a very convenient docking port, assuming the laptop actually supports all the features relevant to the dock. I still want a decent selection of USB-A, ethernet, and hdmi/dp ports on the laptop itself tho.

oh shit, it all makes sense. I thought it was all just about the manufacturers trying to jew you into buying expensive bluetooth headsets

Attached: wee bey shocked.gif (288x288, 1.88M)

lol don't have this problem on my PCs, man up and build your own PC cunt

How long until we're back to how things were in the early 2000s where you have to buy a separate dock to plug your laptop directly into in order to get full I/O

>dude just build a laptop lmao
And it's not just apple doing this shit. Whenever apple shits out some one-step-forward-two-steps-back garbage, all the other OEMs decide to follow suite as well.

what makes you think it has to be one or the other?

hence my use of the word "just"

my bad. i'll blame that on sleep deprivation.

Dongles.

Buy our adapters, goy!
They may be hundreds of dollars, but don't worry: To compensate for this, we have made our devices hundreds of dollars cheaper... no, wait... we made them more expensive!
AHAHAHAHA OY GEVALT SUCKS TO BE YOU, GOY!

Well, at least you'll only have to buy them once, goy. Unless, of course, we change ports again... heh heh heh...

Why the fuck would i want to have to carry around dongles for a device that's whole purpose is convenience and portability. Might as well just build an ITX desktop and carry that around with a keyboard and monitor.

Why would they care what you want? They just want to make money.

well you see, as the person who has the money, i can decide to buy something based on what i want. we do in fact live in a society after all : )

All you need is a single usb 3.0. A usb C. A network port and an rca jack.

And theyre not getting my money as a result

Yeah, fuck having both a mouse and usb stick plugged in at the same time while charging

See you still need separate drivers, or alternatively a megadriver that can do everything. DisplayPort is dramatically different from standard USB protocols, for example.
Now, if the industry did standardise on a set of standard features for USB-C, possibly excepting charging since you never need more than one charging port, and then you could be sure that plugging in a screen, a LAN cable, a mouse, a 40GB/s external SSD, or a headset into any port whatsoever would work, that'd be nice. But you can be absolutely sure that there'll be manufacturers cutting corners everywhere, making like two video-capable ports and making the rest be like USB 3.0 if even that.

(Also, this isn't even relevant to the discontent about modern macbooks: those have two problems unrelated to this. The first is that two (2) ports is laughable regardless of how universal they are, and since that includes charging you're down to one(1) peripheral port most of the time. The second is that while a standard is nice, it's only as useful as it's supported, and a vast amount of things today still don't support USB-C - e.g. ethernet cables pretty much never have a USB-C jack at the end, vast swathes of even new monitor models still only take DP or HDMI, plenty of audio equipment (especially high end) still uses TRS jacks - in large part due to phones btw - or sometimes even 3.5mm jacks, etc. etc.)

Mine has most of these except for VGA in a 15.6 body. USB C is just whatever they're calling regular USB 3 now though.

Let's not over complicate things.
I agree current situation is a clusterfuck, so your points stand from that point of view.

I just said that ultimately it would be better if we could have single interface for everything.
Thunderbolt is pretty good shit for example.
And in the end it could be something like EU that said phones should have universal chargers.
In the why would every manufacturer have his own property special snowflake port?

Give me universal interface to everything.
You set the standard on hardware, based on characteristics. Have universal api.

Sounds simple but it's utopia. I don't get fags that want 15 different ports on their devices.

Because it's not just hardware standards, it's software standards too.

I refuse to buy laptops without a vga port, what's the point.

And? Build a cable that can theoretically do all the things, make it a standard interconnection for most of the things. Software will adapt to that. It wouldn't be an issue if there would be a law to fuck off with snowflake design and give universal connector and access to information to all.

I would never buy a laptop without Ethernet, HDMI, USB-A, and a 3.5mm audio jack.
Inb4 donglets
Yea I'll just buy a MacBook and carry 3 dongles instead the cables.

You need to buy more dongles, which boosts the economy.

Except nobody buys these.

bluetooth exists