So what's the actual correct way of keeping a smartphone battery healthy...

So what's the actual correct way of keeping a smartphone battery healthy? Some say "Just charge to 70-80% unless you absolutely have reason for 100%", others "lol dude just make sure to hit 100% everytime". Which is the "correct" way of doing it to ensure maximum battery life and health?

Attached: terry.jpg (890x441, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just charge it to 100% and dont over use the phone. Try not to use battery saving mode unless you need to. Generally speaking modern smartphone batteries can last quite a while if u take it easy on them.
I tried the charge till 70-80 thing and it didnt make a difference so i think its just a meme

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

LiPo can be charged indefinitely because unlike older NiMh batteries it doesn't suffer from memory effect. You can charge it to 100%, just don't leave it on the charger all the time. However don't overstress the battery, don't let it go below 20% unless you have a good reason to. The threshold I set for myself is 30%, if it gets between 30% and 35% I definitely put it on the charger. I also charge daily, if it is only 70% I still charge it. Only noticed performance issues when I completely drained it a couple times. These issues heal slowly over time, but not fully, every time you completely discharge you will lose some of your battery capacity that don't come back in 10-20 charge cycles.
When I hear about battery fires I always think about the many idiot around me being clueless and happily overstressing their batteries with facebook and other useless shit.

Easy. Avoid heat.

Except that's not easy at all, is it?

Well, there's your answer.

Overstressing is solved at the hardware level, you can't overcharge modern batteries. Just don't let it get hot.

Batteries today are sturdy, they should last long even if you pay no attention to how you charge them. But the theoretical best is still to not charge them quite to 100% or drain them to 0%.

Yes, letting it heat up from whatever is also bad, but complete discharge is worse and the reaction doesn't stop at a solid enough ,imit you can set by hardware or software. Under 20% the Li starts to associate together forming small plates also forming H2 gas. Atomic H also gets into the grain boundaries in the electrode slowly breaking it off. When you go under 20% you are introducing small permanent damaegs to your battery, it only gets worse while you discharge further.A single complete discharge will give you measurable damage, you get much less battery time but it can heal up in 10 charge cycles. If you regularly do complete discharge then you will quickly see a puffed up battery and/or battery fire. That is the nature of chemistry.
I am not a CS brainlet, I'm an actual material sciences engineer so I know this stuff.

>Yes, letting it heat up from whatever is also bad
You can't agree, and then say the opposite of what I said.
And I was mostly talking about overcharging, which I thought you meant by overstressing. Besides, lower charge voltages prolong battery life.

I never got those people that only depleted their battery to 20%, then recharged it only to 80%.

Yeah sure, the battery may degrade less but you are only using 60% of your battery capacity that way from day 1. Youll only see better battery life than an always fully utilised battery after years and years of usage, whats the point?

at least i get consistent battery life this way, compared to normies' batteries getting worse and worse each day
it could be an issue if my battery didn't provide enough energy out of these 60%, but that's not the case as i easily get 8 hours SoT from 80% to 20% and i rarely need more than that, so i just charge to 80% each day and that's it, there's even an app for this on f-droid so it's not like i have to monitor the charge level by myself to unplug when it hits 80%
and then for the occasional need for more energy, like going hiking or such, i can still charge the phone to 100% and get 15-16 hours of screen time

It's better to not charge or discharge all the way, unlike older battery technologies. Just remember to plug it in when it's getting really low, and don't wait for it to hit 100% like you might be used to for older batteries.

Don't charge it to 100% unless you're about to take it on a plane. Store it at 50% for anything longer than overnight. Some phones report 100% when they're not actually full because the battery lasts longer.
Look at rc car groups, their batteries cost a fuckton so they know how to make them last.
Some better laptops have charge limits, if yours does use it.

Lots of bullshit in this thread.

>lots of CS brainlets in this thread
Fixed it for you.

Also for the rest of you brainlets, how about you finish an actual engineering course before you start yapping about things none of you idiots understand?

Lmao, you were one of the bullshitters mate.

Fuck this autism if my battery fails I'll just order a $10 replacement

I had that same idea when I bought my current phone. Turns out it's actually 40$ for a genuine battery, or 15$ for a "genuine" battery. One "genuine" battery I had for a couple of months already expanded to twice its size. None of them have valid thermometers. Seems impossible to to that safely now.

I ignored all battery life extending suggestions and I was smashing my battery on purpose charging only when battery was between 5-15% all the way to 100%. Three years later battery in my phone estimates 88% of original capacity, managing battery seems like complete waste of time these days just charge it whenever the fuck you want to.

Fuck this CIA nigger world I'm building a phone powered by a small nuclear reactor

Imagine getting your PhD at Battery University

Attached: 1490427613542.jpg (258x245, 12K)

too difficult for (You)