When will DisplayPort displace VGA and HDMI?

When will DisplayPort displace VGA and HDMI?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (572x346, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnet.com/news/usb-4-will-help-your-pc-phone-gadgets-get-along-in-2020/
vesa.org/press/vesa-publishes-displayport-2-0-video-standard-enabling-support-for-beyond-8k-resolutions-higher-refresh-rates-for-4k-hdr-and-virtual-reality-applications/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It did, DP for computer monitors HDMI for TVs
VGA is dead, DVI is dead

it's the preferred connector for pc monitors.

Displayport is being used for office PCs more often now because it supports daisychaining. HDMI is used more for TVs and projectors.

okay.

its not a replacement for hdmi, it's a different thing that serves different purposes.

Yep, HDMI serves the drm happy entertainment industry and DP is a worthy successor to DVI.
But really fuck hdmi it serves no purpose existing.

Thunderbolt is the most likely replacement.

TB3 allows for 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes, USB 3.1, Displayport 1.4, and up to 100W of power delivery, or 15W from a host device to a peripheral.

It also has ethernet functionality, though rarely would someone use Thunderbolt for such tasks.

i think my current gpu has one of those connectors, but i haven't seen a cable or monitor for it

Good job living in 2010 buddy. My card only has DP and hdmi and both my monitors are DP

I've had a DP monitor since I was in highschool, and I graduated in 2011.

displayport works over thunberolt 3 and 2 as well as usb 4.

take a good look here
this is the kind of person that posts on Jow Forums in the year 2019

Attached: homosexuality isnt right.jpg (1280x720, 415K)

Thats more or less what I said.

But you're wrong, it doesn't support USB 4.0

Only USB 3.1 10gbps.

that is usb 4.0

weird, nobody i know uses it, my monitor is from 2012

No, it's not.

USB 3.1 10gbps has been out for years.

USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 is 20gbps

USB 4.0 is 40gbps.

It WILL be supported by thunderbolt, eventually, but CURRENTLY the Thunderbolt 3 controllers on the market have NO support for anything beyond USB 3.1 10gbps.

Attached: 2019-07-21 08_36_02.png (686x276, 18K)

is there a need for displayport if thunderbolt exists?

usb 4 is thunderbolt 3 but standardized.

>Based on what we know about the USB4 specification at this point, the new standard will use the Thunderbolt protocol, but it will not be exactly Thunderbolt 3 as its functionality will likely be different.

it hasn't been finalized yet, so you're just talking out of your ass.

It isn't currently doesn't exist as an official standard. USB4 != TB3 just because you want it to.

When poorfags stop demanding manufacturers to put dvi on gpu.

It's partially all you fags fault. Telling people about "muh futureproofing". Now you end up with a bunch of faggots that refuse to let go of outdated tech.

>USB4
Final specifications are about to be publiced (around mid 2019), however you won't see any USB 4 supported devices untill late 2020
cnet.com/news/usb-4-will-help-your-pc-phone-gadgets-get-along-in-2020/

Attached: 381e4f8f-dd76-4664-92c6-f69f105f5e7d.jpg (548x520, 42K)

Around 2012? I think. Haven't bought anything new that didn't use DP or HDMI since late 2010's.
HDMI is for multimedia, DP for computers.

Literally never, if you mean for everything. HDMI is more likely to kill off DisplayPort than the other way around.

hdmi and thunderbolt/usb c are the ports of the future displayport is a meme

Why isnt DP used for TVs?

because tvs don't have the need for the high bandwidth signal very often and hdmi is what everybody uses for tv related stuff, every game console and dvd player or whatever else all use hdmi

The entertainment industry. They view DP as being dangerous to their drm. It's not as locked down as HDMI is.

no one uses display port
meme port

vga and dvi are the only good choices

hdmi is supported by homosexuals

USB-C already made DisplayLol deprecated

It largely has for desktop monitors I'd say. All 3 of my monitors use DP and they're not even all new models. My graphics card has 3 DP outputs and only 1 HDMI too.

Lolwut

DP is dead, no office computer uses it. Most modern office equipment use VGA and HDMI, VGA mostly for legacy shit like ceiling-mounted projectors that would cost a lot to replace. HDMI works fine and is cheap to produce for normal applications.

DVI isn't dead and is the only cable capable of carrying >60FPS content. You can't use anything else on a 144hz monitor.

I guess the only company that ever cared about DO is apple and well lol

I still use VGA
ama

What year is this post from? How did it travel here from the past?

he's right display port is deprecated. look at thinkpads. they started supporting displayport and then removed it because literally nobody uses it.

Leave the basement and you'll see how often DP is used in professional environments.

Thunderbolt got abandoned in place of new USB standard. TB3 already used USB-C connector and had full compatibility.

displayport is what's used on high end high hz monitors because it has the highest bandwidth of the main connections

that's the main use case of displayport right now

>DVI isn't dead and is the only cable capable of carrying >60FPS content.
Why the fuck do people still post stupid shit like this?
Any HDMI or DP cable made in the last 10 years has higher bandwidth than DVI.

I had to switch cables on my office PC from HDMI to DP, because HDMI didn't support high enough resolution for the displays.

>literally nobody uses it
This is what a modern graphics card's connectors look like. You need to go back to your own decade, this one is too advanced for you.

I don't know retard-kun, the Thunderbolt docks for Dell business laptops at the office all come with DP and mini-DP ports. People use those to connect to their monitors. Maybe you're just working for some dinosaur company that got left behind if you don't see DP in the office. Even the older non-TB docks which are 5+ years old now come with 2 DP outputs.

Attached: outputs.jpg (960x720, 201K)

you were just using old hdmi cable

Can DP deliver audio as well as video?

His equipment probably doesn't support HDMI 2.0, because HDMI 2.0 was late to the party and for a while only DP had the bandwidth to handle 4K 60Hz and other display modes which used a similar amount of bandwidth.

Yes

the new hdmi spec only barely covers modern devices as well and will be outdated in 2-3 years lol

So what's this USB-C talk? I have a USB-C plug on my GPU that's officially meant for VR, am I gonna be able to plug a monitor into it at some point?

Every major TV manufacturer is part of the committee that works on the HDMI standard which is why it'll never ever ever disappear from TVs. The only reason monitors got DP was because NVIDIA and AMD forced them to start including it to be able to run their GPUs.

>hdmi has a higher bandwidth than dvi

DVI-D is inarguably better than hdmi in literally every measurement, and that includes bandwidth. The only place hdmi is acceptable is when you're using shitty TVs, and there was no better option.

>Thunderbolt got abandoned in place of new USB standard.
Thunderbolt never got abandoned.
In fact, it's the new protocol underlying USB4

I'm pretty sure you can use it for a monitor right now with the right adapter, though I haven't tested it. You can also use it as a regular USB port, it does 10Gbps. If you've got a VirtualLink port I'd guess you also have 3 DP and 1 HDMI so I don't think there's much reason to bother with an adapter though.

>being objectively wrong so much
for what purpose

all the pcs at my work are dp. there design pcs but still

>USB 3.2 Gen 1
>USB 3.2 Gen 2
>USB 3.2 Gen 2x2
Did they hire a literal retard to name the USB versions after 2.0?

usb is such a fucked up spec holy shit lol

already you can buy 100 usb c cables and not 2 of them will be the same. the cross support for the standard is so fucked up it's hilarious. I've already run into multiple times where a certain device can't charge with a certain combination of ports and plugs that all fit together. there's no markings either, you're just expected to know exactly what obfuscated standard each one is trying to fit.

Thunderbolt 3 offers bandwith for high framerate display out and datastream in for eGPUs, simultaniously. It doesn't just used as a display connection, it is also used as a video card port.
It can handle simultanious display outs in one port.

>posting from 2008

The biggest issue with dp is that 90% of the cables on the market are cheap garbage that can't actually support the connection. I had to get oem dell cables because they are some of the only ones you can buy that actually work. The dp standards website has a list of cables that actually meet spec and they are all no longer available or cost $30 or more.

>DisplayPort
first time i hear about this

Attached: 1492480995041.jpg (1024x845, 82K)

No, it's intentional obfuscation to trick uneducated consumers into thinking cheap shit is faster than it actually is. They changed the names after the introduction of the third USB 3.X standard solely for this purpose.

Yup, but again, that doesn't mean Current TB3 devices are suddenly going to work with USB4 devices when they come out.

Chad VGA is based analog signal, doesn't even SUPPORT DRM, you faggots can shove your KEK digital connectors up your ass.

BASED VGA.

what really? i usually buy cheap alogic or amazon basics ones and they work fine

its frustrating when i used to sell this stuff because even finding which spec a laptop was for example was difficult

really?

No it didn’t lol

>even finding which spec a laptop was for example was difficult
It's a jumble of garbage at this point. You have one connector on the fucking laptop and in order to buy a proper cable or some shit for the thing, you basically need to find out and look out for:
>is it TB or just plain USB?
>what sort of video output support does it have?
>wait, does it even have video output at all?
>what sort of PD requirements does it have?
>can it just receive power, or can it also act as a PD charger for other devices
>what USB speed does it actually support?
>what's supposed to happen when connecting one USB C device to another USB C device? Which charges which? Which is the host and which is the slave device?
It's a huge clusterfuck at this point with so much shit being thrown at the same port. It's nice that it can be so flexible, but it was also nice back when you knew everything a port did simply by its shape and would essentially have a guarantee that if the plugs matched it would work. You didn't need to go digging through spec sheets to understand what you can plug into a physically compatible port.

I think I only had trouble with a single cable out of dozens I've used, that hasn't been a problem for me at all.

DisplayPort is already being replaced by USB-C in modern laptops.

usb is a disaster

Because it can use USB-C as a connector, it's not being replaced, just being made more portable.

>dp is dead
>office computer
You are brain dead. DP allows incredibly high refresh rates, which is why it is common for monitors geared towards playing games.
No shit office computers don't need that.

>he wants to be DP'ed
ew

Dp is literally nothing but reactionary. HDMI 2.1 was explicitly designed to support 8k TVs. Its purpose built. Dp 2 was only designed in response to hdmi 2.1 and you need to be a paid member of the consortium to use DP at all. It's literally the bender joke about making his own park with blackjack and hookers

If you swap DP and DVI on this guy's post, it is almost correct.

DP from my understanding is mandatory for 144hz, although I think dual link DVI you can get up to 120hz.

Pretty much all new workstation deployments I witness today almost exclusively use Display Port, unless a particular monitor decides to be a cunt and decides it will only work with HDMI.

It's my preferred connector for everything.

It pretty much has taken over since 2017. VGA and DVI aren't found on GPU and monitors/A/V equipment made since then.

VGA is alreadly dead. Not a single gpu comes with that port. Cheap monitors that comes with VGA is just for legacy support and will come with a HDMI or DVI-D.

Probably, remember DVI? something better always comes along

DVI is literally the God-Tier connector. I just wish more graphics cards had more than one DVI port.

>people are arguing that an active connection should be the standard
Fuck no, display port is buggy as shit and always will be due to its design. HDMI, for all of its DRM infested issues, at least is a passive connection.

USB-C

>although I think dual link DVI you can get up to 120hz
You can run 1080p @144Hz with DVI dual link.
In fact, it was the only connector able to deliver when the first 144Hz monitors were released

You already can with some portable monitors and those 5k ones that Apple pushes.

vesa.org/press/vesa-publishes-displayport-2-0-video-standard-enabling-support-for-beyond-8k-resolutions-higher-refresh-rates-for-4k-hdr-and-virtual-reality-applications/

Attached: VESA_DisplayPort_2.0_Chart.jpg (750x1240, 236K)

I just don't see how they're gonna manage with copper cables over any decent length.

Especially if they want to keep cable diameter to something reasonable.