What settings do you use for the Jow Forums webm encoding?

What settings do you use for the Jow Forums webm encoding?

Mine are

ffmpeg.exe -i in.mp4 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -an -b:v 2000K -pass 2 -threads 4 -speed 0 -tile-columns 0 -frame-parallel 0 -auto-alt-ref 1 -lag-in-frames 25 -g 9999 -aq-mode 0 -f webm out.webm

With bitrate between 1000K-2000K depending on the type of the video. However, the resulting file is still way too big.
For example, the settings above produce a 10mb video 40 seconds long.
Whereas if I encode it into x264 with the slowest preset, I can get it down to 4mb.

Attached: 1555694330520.png (1280x624, 194K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question
github.com/Kagami/webm.py
x0.at/sD4.mkv
github.com/ekisu/mpv-webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah, sucks that there is no crf setting. When I encode memes to post here I just kind of aim for the highest bitrate that could fit within 3 or 4 mb. Also, Hiro should add support for h264, vp9, av1 and opus. Others already have.

>I'm so smart for using ffmpeg command line to encode my webms
>But I also don't know that VP8 supports CRF.

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v libvpx -b:v 1M -fs 2.8M -an -sn -threads 3 output.webm

Bitrate and size are changed as needed per video/board.
I know it can be improved greatly, but I rarely make webms so I haven't invested the time in refining it.

Ah shit i guess i was using an old build of ffmpeg or something and couldn't use crf then. Well now i know.

Attached: 1487107070634.jpg (400x300, 24K)

>vp9
since when does Jow Forums support vp9?!

Since never.

not worth it for me to make webms with such an old codec. All my video sources would be the of the highest quality which vp8 does not allow for.

>.exe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetorical_question

These are mine for general video encoding. Thoughts?

ffmpeg -i C:\input.mkv -c:v libx265 -c:a copy -c:s copy -preset slower -crf 20 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -x265-params --deblock=false:--sao=false:--b-intra=false:--weightp=false:--weightb=false:--frame-threads=3:--cu-lossless=1:--analysis-reuse-mode=1:--analysis-reuse-level=10:--limit-tu=0:--max-merge=5:--rc-lookahead=40:--b-adapt=2:--bframes=16:--bframe-bias=100:--ref=6:--tu-intra-depth=4:--tu-inter-depth=4:--rd=6:--early-skip=false:--fast-intra=false C:\output.mkv

#!/bin/sh

set -e

if [ $# -eq 6 ]
then
ffmpeg -y -ss $2 -i "$1" -vf scale=-2:$4 -an -sn -c:v libvpx -threads 4 -quality best -b:v $5k -pass 1 -f webm -t $3 /dev/null
ffmpeg -ss $2 -i "$1" -vf scale=-2:$4 -an -sn -c:v libvpx -threads 4 -quality best -b:v $5k -pass 2 -t $3 "$6-$4p-$5k-$2-$3.webm"
else
echo "usage: $(basename "$0") FILE START LENGTH RESOLUTION BITRATE NAME" >&2
false
fi

Attached: 1536532333156.webm (200x200, 157K)

Aim for max compression

webm is just bait to hook people to watch your youtube video, no need to provide quality

I am impressed

What is the source?

I just use the webm script for mpv. It just werks.

Might as well ask here.

With x264 and x265 you can use a constant rate factor (crf) or constant quantization parameter (qp). libvpx on the other hand offers a cq level for constant/constrained quality mode. My question is, what is cq supposed to represent? A factor for perceived quality (crf) or rather strictly mathematical loss (qp)? vpxenc's help text doesn't help me either.
--cq-level is described as constant/constrained quality level, but --min-q and --max-q as min/max quantizer and they use the same same scale from what I can tell.

>For example, the settings above produce a 10mb video 40 seconds long.
Like expected
>2000Kbps * 40s / (8 * 1024) ~= 10MB
x264 shouldn't produce a smaller file size. For a target bitrate slower presets will provide a better quality, for a target quality slower presets will provide a smaller size.

>It just werks.
Except when you want to hardsub bitmap-based subtitles. Both encode.lua and webm.lua use simple filters exclusively.

>he uses bloatware media player to encode his videos
Nigger what are you doing

>mpv
>bloatware
IIRC works fine for me, I'll check later when I'm home if thread hasn't 404d

I thought this was the official Jow Forums webm converter ;^)

Attached: 1560611742261.png (1448x1920, 686K)

>Wanting to fast forward straight to the product instead of learning a bunch of stupid ffmpeg calls is considered "dumb"
the absolute state of autismos

Text-based subtitles work fine. Bitmap-based subtitles require the overlay filter though, which is a complex filter as it takes two input streams. You'd need to add it via -filter_complex or --lavfi-complex (depending on whether you call ffmpeg directly or mpv), which neither script does.
>encode.lua
if #filters > 0 then
append_args({ "-filter:v", table.concat(filters, ",") })
end

>webm.lua (master) or webm.lua (ffmpeg-support) with mpv backend
for _index_0 = 1, #filters do
local f = filters[_index_0]
append(command, {
"--vf-add=" .. tostring(f)
})
end

>webm.lua (ffmpeg-support) with ffmpeg backend
append(command, {
"-vf",
table.concat(filters, ",")
})

It's made for non-gentoomen who want to shitpost but are too dumb to use cli.
>faster
>gives more control
>cross-platform
>bleeding edge encoders
>cli baaaaaaaad

I like webm for retards. How the fuck can you accurately crop, trim, etc. with only CLI this easily?

Attached: 1558207184898.png (2186x1408, 530K)

do you have a sample file? might add that, if it's not too complex.

webm.py -i in.mkv -vp8 -an -l 3.0 out.webm

github.com/Kagami/webm.py

Attached: 1540277165785.webm (600x619, 105K)

>.exe
cringe

Here you go. You could also use any subtitle track ripped directly from a DVD/Blu-Ray.
x0.at/sD4.mkv
As a heads-up, these subtitles are a bitch to work with. Trimming included (and I had to trim them as I can't easily upload a >1GB video with my shit internet connection).
If you want to hardsub this file with overlay, you need to use overlay=shortest=1, because the timestamps got fucked up when I trimmed it. Hardsubbing directly from the original file works fine with the default overlay filter.

github.com/ekisu/mpv-webm

Attached: sample.jpg (1280x720, 321K)

bump

I want to marry undyne