TP-Link is cancer

Anyone else have any experience with these piece of shit Deco MX wi-fi routers? Had the pleasant experience of discovering that they are only accessible / manageable through their shitty mobile app. Not to mention they look like a retarded mix between the sydney opera house and a fire alarm. Only reason I'm peeved is because a client uses them and I'm forced to use TP-Links proprietary bullshit to configure these fuckers.

Attached: VSiKbe8[1].png (299x168, 65K)

Legit I'm fucking seething, why do these exist? Am I really that out of touch? I've been doing network management for years but this is the first time I've had to work with these little bastards. Look at this shit:

"The TP-Link Deco M5 does not self update. According to the User Guide the mobile app tells you when there is an available update and then you have to manually install it by clicking a button. It doesn't say if there is any passive notification for people to never go into the app. In fact, it doesn't say much at all. The User Guide is lame as heck. That its only 18 pages tells you all you need to know; but, 6 of the pages are legal stuff. That leaves 12. Take away the cover page and table of contents and we are down a 10 page pamphlet.

The mobile app requires a TP-Link ID to even get started. It has the mandatory one and only one guest network. It includes Trend Micro antivirus software that we have seen, when used with Asus routers, can spy on you. For more on that see here and here.

The Deco M5 can not disable UPnP."

A router that can't disable UPnP? What? Also these things list online for $300 (the cheapest I could find is $276). WHAT? Fucking christ Jow Forums, what the help is happening?

you absolutely cannot flash them with something else?

Just setup batman on an array of openwrt routers then.

That deco shit is the consumer normie version. Your client is a cheap ass. Enterprise WAPs from TP link are actually competitive with other enterprise WAPs. If you're a pro obv you're not going to like the "make an account and use an app" normie standard. You think a consumer is going to add the devices and then find their DHCP leases for management via a web UI? More than that, set a static IP or reservation so they don't lose it every month?

what's the most cost effective way to connect a wired network (unmanaged switch and a few devices) to my main network via wifi?

my powerline adapters constantly drop out and it'll really just be for internet anyway (which its more than fast enough for)

>Legit I'm fucking seething, why do these exist? Am I really that out of touch? I've been doing network management for years but this is the first time I've had to work with these little bastards. Look at this shit:
Yes you are. Almost all of these new "home mesh" systems are meant for the normiest of normies and only have phone apps with somewhat limited options. If you wanted a mainstream mesh system with more control you should have gone with ASUS's aiMesh enabled routers that are just routers but can be used as a mesh network

Just bridge a wireless adapter to the ethernet port on a computer, and then plug it into said switch. That switch will now issue DHCP from the router.

nope, you can't flash them with anything. No access via PuTTY, no developer tools (at least made public), no accessibility via web UI or terminal. Literally just overpriced garbage.

I wish I could, the client insists on using this hardware. Might have to sit them down and discuss the reality of these things. Also already confirmed that the mobile app phones home when you're using it, so that's great. God knows what backdoors allow them to monitor your web access, or use your analytics. Just really trashy, especially from a company like TP.

openwrt / tomato have always been my go-to. I think I'd have better luck going to goodwill, finding some cheap n300/n600 routers for like $5 (they always seem to have those) and just going the batman route like that user said.

Cost effective? An extra long ethernet cable.

Otherwise a repeater.

you're right in that most consumers aren't going to take advantage of that functionality, but the fact that the big networking manufacturers are moving those features away from consumer products that used to have those features is disheartening. 15 years ago, any 'consumer' router could be turned into something only limited by its hardware potential. I remember doing custom dns redirects, vpn at router level, bandwidth monitoring / alerts, dns injection (notifying users right in their browser window when they had reached bandwidth limit or if internet outage had occurred), freedns ddns so that my domain always pointed to my IP address (didn't want to pay for static, shitty ISP) the list goes on and on, and this was on a router that cost maybe like $60 new at the time.

Now, we have hardware that's so locked down, we can achieve maybe a tenth of those things out of the box, and they further try to obfuscate functionality by making the experience 'streamlined' by pushing everything through an app.

Honestly, I've always been into tech and I've always been on the up and up and tried to understand modern trends, but this might be it -- this might be what breaks me.

Consumers used to be hobbiests for this market, now it's normies. The products reflect that. Your sky is falling routine tells me you're embellishing your "Experiance" even when so loosely defined as "I follow tech trends"

>TP-Link is cancer
Are they now producing 5G hotspots?

>Buy TP-Link Powerline adapters last month
>Plug them in
>They work great and gave me a huge uplift over my previous shitty wifi card

Sounds like a wireless problem to me.

Attached: 1558816496028.jpg (901x853, 119K)

are you in a newer building? any problems when high draw things like a fridge are doing stuff?

>That deco shit is the consumer normie version. Your client is a cheap ass. Enterprise WAPs from TP link are actually competitive with other enterprise WAPs.
Came here to say this. Rocking a couple EAP225's and 245's, shit's great for the money.

Attached: eap245_1.png (800x600, 140K)

Have you tried putting the powerline adapters on their own circuit?

Kek my business uses Dlink (which is basically TP-link clone) for ultimate cheapness

>are you in a newer building?
Nope
>any problems when high draw things like a fridge are doing stuff?
Nope
>Have you tried putting the powerline adapters on their own circuit?
Nope, I'm an American, they're certainly on separate circuits. Still manage to get north of 12MB/s, capital B, which I'm sure you'll agree is an improvement over the 3MB/s I was getting before on a good day when the stars align with a wireless card.

when will the AX version come out?

No idea about their APs, but their adapters are unironically based. I have an Archer T2UH, and it just werks with standards up to AC on Linux without having to compile some out-of-tree driver.