Which Linux for a newbie?

I've been using Linux for a short time before, but I don't remember anything by now, so I'm looking for accessible distro for a totally newbie. Any suggestions with which one should I start?

Attached: 1200px-Tux.svg.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/CD/netinst/
dwm.suckless.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

debian.org/CD/netinst/
dwm.suckless.org/

Fav combo

Mint or manjarno should be good

dwm is fearureless cancer. Use LXQt.

What desktop do you want?

GNOME
- regular Ubuntu 19.04 or 18.04 if you want stable and older packages
- Fedora 30 GNOME
- Manjaro GNOME (this one is probably least suited for a newb, it's Arch with an installer and defaults)

KDE
- KDE neon
- Fedora KDE
- openSUSE Leap or Tumbleweed (leap probably better for a newb)

XFCE
- Xubuntu 19.04 or 18.04 LTS
- Fedora 30 XFCE
- Manjaro XFCE (again this is rolling release based on Arch, so might not be ideal for a newb since sometimes some things break)

There's also LXQT which is an extremely light and barebones desktop. You can get it on Lubuntu (IIRC) and through Debian's netinstaller.

Personally I'm using the Deepin Desktop Environment, on the Deepin distribution which is based Debian. You can also get it through Debian netinstaller, but Deepin is easier for a newb.

Just look at screenshots and see which desktop environment speaks to you, and then work from there.

also worth mentioning is elementary OS, which uses the Pantheon Desktop, which is based on GNOME but acts differently, more like macOS. The default theme is pretty too. It's based on Ubuntu 18.04 so it should be pretty easy for a newb.

Oh and I forgot MATE
-Ubuntu MATE 19.04 or 18.04 (again, depends if you want newer packages or more stable)
-Fedora 30 MATE
-Manjaro MATE

>GNOME
bloat
>kde
Bloat
>xfce
bloat
>lxqt
super bloat

>Deepin Desktop Environment, on the Deepin distribution
Enjoy your Chinese spyware.

Manjaro

My first distro was Debian. I was a young newbie and I did a lot of mess on it that I regret because it would take a lot of time to remove all of it. I wouldn't recommend it to beginners.

I like LXQt as an alternative to XFCE4 or LXDE, but today I just use i3wm or XFCE4 because I find them simple and stable.

Mind opening my eyes, why is lxqt is bloated?
It's the only De I've ever used and can actually feel comfortable using.

Been rolling with window managers for these past years but still.

dwm is where buddhahood is at.

Attached: Ux_FcEqbEoEEpSxW-7G-oY1lqXUTQydtEgmpnuL1Oe0.jpg (500x637, 84K)

Attached: arch2.jpg (650x4377, 949K)

I tried it and it's shit.
I don't have the time and patience to fine tune every patch I install because nothing works out of the box.

Most of the patches aren't even supported on the newest dwm builds.
I used it for a like a month and probably will never again.

i dont patch dwm because its already perfect

Mint, you don't need anything else.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

based and greenpilled, I'm using Mint right now
the only downside is that if you game at all you will see a significant performance hit, CS:GO on W10 gave me 176FPS, Ubuntu gave me 160, and now Mint gives me 144, at which point I said fuck it and gave up and just started playing Quake

CentOS?

Fedora, Solus or Manjaro (KDE Plasma)

This. Debian offers all you need, stable branch, middle ground and rolling release(well more like testing but the non official testing brand is experimental).
If you want shit done easily with no stress install it, or even Slackware. Both are the oldest linux distros and known for rock solid stability(I think Red Hat is also just as old, could be wrong).

>people unironically recommending sucksmore garbage and manjaro for new users
neck yourselves

From easiest to easy: mint/ubuntu, debian, or fedora. Choose whatever de you like but the original distro's default is usually the more stable choice except for the ubuntu distro, its alternatives are sometimes better. I still use stock ubuntu (and stock fedora) because i enjoy gnome.

SwagArch

install gentoo

Solus os, out of the box !

for distros manjaro, solus, or any debian derivative. easy installation without much setup. for DE go with kde or gnome, kde is better but has a lot of options that might make you lost. gnome is retard proof but heavy on resources

mint or ubuntu mate or maybe rebornos

>implying bloat is a bad thing for newbies

Kubuntu if you have a good computer, Xubuntu if you don't

Install Clear Linux

>Which Linux for a newbie?
Mint. Even my mom can use it.

ubuntu or trisquel, ignore the other suggestions, if you want to distrohop in the future then do so later on once you understand more

Attached: 1557309787398.png (259x374, 89K)

Yeah... What GPU do you use? Nobody wants to do decent Linux drivers sadly.

Ubuntu.

>I don't know anything about Linux and just want something that works and feels like the non-free OS I'm used to
Mint, Ubuntu

>I don't know anything about Linux, but I was a Windows "power user" and want a functional desktop that I can fiddle with.
Fedora, openSUSE

>I don't know anything about Linux, but I want to learn the inner workings of it and can afford to spend as much time reading manuals as I need to get it up and running.
Gentoo

>I don't know anything about Linux, and I want to learn the inner workings of it, but right now I just need something I can install without too much hassle and I'll read the manuals for rest when I have the time.
Slackware

>I don't know anything about Linux, but I want to feel like I do so that I can install and start ricing as soon as possible
Arch