How slow and old is your processor on your main desktop computer?

How slow and old is your processor on your main desktop computer?

Mine's a Q8400. Made in 2009. Still pretty good for most desktop tasks, but not that great for gaming.

Attached: core2duo_logo_01.jpg (508x600, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/38512/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q8400-4m-cache-2-66-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75122/intel-core-i7-4770-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html
ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/42915/intel-core-i5-750-processor-8m-cache-2-66-ghz.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You mean e8400?

ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/38512/intel-core-2-quad-processor-q8400-4m-cache-2-66-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

No, this one:

OK, the pic refers to processors with 2 cores, but I was really referring to the era.

Thanks user. Beaten by two seconds.

Have an Atari 520ST as a reward.

Attached: IMG_3450.jpg (913x1280, 227K)

Just updated from q9550 to 3700x, feels good man

2500K from 2011. Still perfectly fine for internet usage, starting to really sweat in some games.

Attached: 1525388794348.png (380x349, 77K)

Get this Jewish url out of my face ffs

Intel Core i7 950 made sometime in 2009... I think

Holds up for gaming, and seems totally fine ever since PC gaming moved to more GPU dependent performance.

Me too.
This thing is going to last another 5 years at this rate. I don’t really game anything heavy on mine.

>2500K

You'll still be fine for a lot of games, but FPSs are another matter.

I wonder when I'm going to have to upgrade my whole machine with the Q8400. But I think it'll be good for another three years or so. Five at a push. I think things will start to get difficult after that.

Judge for yourself

Attached: 2019-07-21-230249_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 162K)

Using a Core i7 4790K, OCed to 4.7 GHz.
No issues with it so far.

Just recently upgraded from an i7 6700 to an i9 9900k.

FX6100

cant even run dota 2 at max 1080p 60fps

Attached: 1542933720992.jpg (643x599, 34K)

q8300 here
Still good, but yeah gaming sucks now
I really need to upgrade

I have a box with an e8400 clocked to 4ghz
Just browsing the web causes it to spike near 100% use
Fucking webshits

Erm is your processor from the 90s?

3770 running Gentoo great

Attached: 1555402418096.png (345x325, 164K)

Nice one bro. We're nearly the same. Although mine's a little bit faster. Yeah, I would love to play the new Tomb Raiders but I don't think that's going to happen on this machine.

threadripper 1950x
it's old, I know, I'm thinking of replacing it

i7-4770

It's ok

ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75122/intel-core-i7-4770-processor-8m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html

good goy

>Just browsing the web causes it to spike near 100% use

That's weird, I don't have that problem at all. Usage is generally very low, as in under 5%.

what window manager is that

FX-6300, not gonna talk the year because it's embarassing how shit it is for the year it was made in.

Specs look good to me.

Sep 8, 2009

Attached: file.png (401x401, 49K)

Attached: x5460.jpg (259x195, 16K)

running this too since 2011, runs well at 4.8ghz with a CM 212

How much did you pay for that at the time?

That's why me and many people bought into FX, it seemed nice on paper.

thats without any extensions to block scripts. With umatrix set up it's maybe around 10%

17$ a year ago.

rare cpu here

Attached: cpu-z.png (403x402, 24K)

Got it. Not that great, eh?

Ah nice.

>tfw you never got yours to clock that high
Oddly it seems like a recent thing. Back at launch the goal was 4.4 or 4.5 GHz, lately everyone claims they're running their trusty old 2500K or 2600K at 4.8 GHz.

my i7-3930K is 8 years old, still holding up.

>Erm is your processor from the 90s?
Almost

>i7-3930K

Yes but that's a pretty nice processor. Expensive if bought new at the time, but good futureproofing.

>Got it. Not that great, eh?
Nah, it'd be okay if it was made 2-3 years earlier.

I think I got this rig in 2013

Attached: 2019-07-21-161844_482x320_scrot.png (482x320, 12K)

What about video streaming? Must be difficult.

Phenom ii x4. Too poor to upgrade.

What the motherfuck is Swagarch?

i7-920 clocked to 3.6ghz. Only feeling old when encoding or compiling.

I actually got really lucky with this, bought my uncle's old PC when he was upgrading, thing turned out to be a beast.

kek

Arch for retards, comes with Budgie and uses the calamares installer (and a sweet name, cooler than regular Arch imo)

I guess, if your mobo can handle it, you could try to hunt down a x6 or gamble on some Zosma core (like 960T) and try to unlock it to x6

Yes it's a really nice piece of hardware. We're lucky we live in an era where these processors are built to last. One day it'll be planned obsolescence and they'll last five years tops before burning out.

It's fine as long as you are streaming the video from a video player like mpv and you are not running anything newer than Debian Wheezy (the GPU drivers broke after that and were never fixed).

It won't be so bad, you will probably be able to get on the upgrade plan so that you can upgrade once a year if you lock into a contract or something

That's still totally shit by comparison to what we have now.

>49.67 bogomips
wew

p8600

can't play fhd streams otherwise it's fine apart from running really hot

Celeron G1820. I got it really cheap and it is good for any desktop usage. But now that I'm getting into video encoding I do miss dem AVX instructions, more coarz and ghutz

Phenom II X3 720 from 2009. Had 4th core working for ~5 years then it died. Works for browsing and can handle videos up to 4K@30FPS.

>Had 4th core working for ~5 years then it died.
Or perhaps its fault was drawing too much power and it worn down your motherboard to the point it can no longer support it.

Take a look at

Still does a great work.
Gaming is a mixed bag, though.
Newer games optimized for moar cores run very nice.
I can play Tekken 7 on ultra and I get 110+ FPS on Doom 4 thanks to Vulkan.
On the other hand, I had to overclock to get decent framerate to play Amid Evil.

Attached: Capture.jpg (787x745, 68K)

I had x4 unlocked to x6 but after a couple months one of the unlocked cores died. It still worked as a x5 for a few years until I upgraded though.

An i3 8100, not a terrible processor, it still works well despite being 4c4t.

I just upgraded from an Athlon II x240, which was a massive piece of shit.

>it still works well despite being 4c4t.
Well 4c4t is still ok. I love how Zen basically killed 2c CPUs. They are there but they're virtually non-existent in people's minds.

I just bought mine this year.
> It replaced an Athlon XII from 2009-10

Attached: 1530173315077.jpg (633x640, 51K)

Still on Haswell here.
I also kept my previous hardware, so I can fall back on that temporarily if the current stuff dies on me.

Probably people weren't brave enough to push it that hard back then, but nowadays it's just
>meh, if it dies I can get a better one nearly for free

>be me
>build new pc
>give old one to brother so he can part it out
>forgot there's a 2500K in it
Oops.

He will pass it on to his grandchildren as a family heirloom

i've been running a pentium g3258, the 20th anniversary unlocked multiplier thingy with the copper core stock cooler, iirc it got released with devils canyon back at q1 2014 but i'm not sure.

it's running at [email protected]/ [email protected] with the stock cooler for about a year. hits 65c max under %100tdp load and 40-ish when idle. no case or gpu either, just the psu, ram sticks, mobo and the chip. all on a table

it's still really good at doing what i want it to do, i've had no problems whatsoever. i set my systems up in a fairly minimalistic but not crippling manner so multitasking, browsing and building software is not an issue. i've used gentoo with this for for about a year until i made a full switch to lfs and no matter how much time it takes or how many cores/vulnerabilities it has, the sentimental value of it is immeasurable for me.

Attached: grab-1563747164.png (205x121, 12K)

Haswell reporting in. Being replaced by Zen2 this week though.

i5-7500. It's still good but 4c/4t worries me a lot since I am planning to keep it for two more years.

E8600, Made in 2008, only good for web browsing

i5 6400
it can't handle 4k60 on YouTube and 3d Google maps without stutter

Intel i5-750

ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/42915/intel-core-i5-750-processor-8m-cache-2-66-ghz.html

It is a couple of years old now. TR 1950x. I would've been perfectly happy with some AM3+ FX or older LGA2011 CPU. It would've been a lot cheaper for me if I got one of those, and I would be just as happy too (maybe happier knowing I didn't waste too much money on a new system when my needs would be served well enough by an old system).

>I love how Zen basically killed 2c CPUs
This was long overdue. Two cores has been the land of lowered expectations for years.
I hope they raise the entire line to at least four. Better yet, 4c8t.

E5450 @ 3.8 ghz

I7 2600k since launch.
5.1ghz 1.55V on a custom water cooling loop.
Max temps in the mid 70's
Does alright in most tasks.
My videos don't have many layers so they only take 20min to render.
I don't game anymore so I'd how it holds up there.
Waiting for 7nmEUV or whatever Intel has to respond in 1-2 years.
>Inb4 cringe
Rig was made in 2011 when I had shit Gaymer taste. Too lazy to change anything.

Zen also made 4c and 6c non threaded chips obsolete.

Attached: What you cant see wont hurt you..jpg (1836x2596, 3.08M)

Comfy

Attached: OkgtPCi_d.jpg (640x480, 28K)

Genuinely curious as to what you're using to cool that

Probably a fridge

Not him, but I had a 4790k clocked at 4.8GHz across all cores at 1.275v on air. It was a 120mm Phanteks cooler I was using. Best clocking chip I ever had.

mine was doing 4.8 at 1.42 volts. not ideal for daily . so i kept it at 4.5 1.35 volts since 2011 . started to degradet last year. now can only hold 4.2 ghz . thinking of getting a 9700k , can t be bothered with AMD problems

Still Rolling on. Only play older games anymore (1999 -2k4) so hell this does fine.

Attached: Speccy.jpg (894x588, 239K)

>Win7
>900p
>GT740

i7 4770k is what I'm running

Had that same cpu paired with a 6870, played at 1600x900 so it performed alright. Later upgraded to a 7950 which was great. Ran that 955be at 4.0ghz for years.

Do you have 3D acceleration?

Nope, I just have 2D acceleration. Not a big deal for me, since this cannot run any games.

In theory, newer versions of the Radeon driver have 3D acceleration. But they are so buggy that they don't even run, and the screen freezes, so I stick with the older one.

>But they are so buggy that they don't even run, and the screen freezes, so I stick with the older one.

This is exactly why I ask. I tried installing Debian 10 on the same mode iBook you’re using, and the non free drivers wouldn’t even work. Without the no free drivers, even typing text into a terminal was a laggy experience.

My main server has an older Xeon E3 quad core w/24GB ram. Still more than enough power to push 3x 1080p streams via plex with no issues so I guess I'll still roll with it till it just dies. I don't got a 4k tv and frankly I don't need one. My living room ain't gonna grow any bigger and my current 65" is plenty for the space.

Mine's a 5820k. I'm surprised it's lasted me almost five years. I could afford to upgrade, but it seems like a waste of money considering how well it still works.

I have given it some upgrades, like an NVMe drive and a Vega 64.

AMD Athlon II x2 250

i had mine at 4.5GHz and had it paired with a gtx 660. was great and it was the first cpu i bought for myself. replaced with an 8600k now but it still powers my media pc

4.7GHz 4790K. Quite happy with it, still performs decently but I'm looking for an upgrade. It will probably be a 3900X, but I can't currently find it anywhere in stock.

Linux support for these machines has been getting increasingly worse during the years, to the point of newer versions becoming literally unusable.

With the 3.2 kernel, suspension works out of the box. The machine wil even suspend automatically when you are running out of battery. With newer kernels, it has stopped working. If you try to suspend your machine, it shits itself and freezes. In order to be able to use it again, you need to remove the battery (!).

The older radeon drivers worked flawlessly out of the box. But when they decided to move from userspace modesetting to kernel modesetting, the driver stopped working altogether, and, since they don't even care to test it on these old machines any more, it will remain like that forever.

Using Debian 7 makes you realize how worse Linux support has gotten. And the same can be said of the BSDs. NetBSD does not support the internal modem of the machine, so you cannot even use ethernet. The FreeBSD installer doesn't even boot. OpenBSD is the ONLY modern operating system that works decently on PowerPC, but it lacks a usable web browser, and you can't even compile one yourself, so you are stuck with Netsurf.

It makes you want to neck yourself.

Q9550 reporting in. Served me well, but in a week or so it will be replaced by a 3900X. Quite a boost in performance I'd imagine.

FreeBSD works pretty good on my Talos Blackbird, but of course that's a much newer PowerPC.