/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOP, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: 1999_10-11_GeForce256.jpg (1024x1024, 285K)

Other urls found in this thread:

planet3dnow.de/cms/48837-ryzen-3000-zu-hohe-idle-spannung-wegen-energiesparplan-amd-ryzen-balanced/
pcpartpicker.com/list/h6kfJ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/cj3wTB
youtube.com/watch?v=Kl3H4vMqYNo
pcpartpicker.com/list/9rspq4
imgur.com/a/kJlu2BQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do not buy Corsair PSUs

Post your Vega Undervolt/Overclock

Attached: index.jpg (193x261, 11K)

Buy Corsair PSUs
Seasonic a shit

What about the AX1600i?

brought to you by AMD shill tm

Yeah that user is wrong. Tons of ATX cases fit EATX boards without listing compatibility for it.

1080p 144hz displays are also common yet tons of games are locked to 60fps. lol.
The reason adaptive sync exists is so games which run at lower FPS still look fine.
60fps in all games, and 100-144fps in some, is a more reasonable goal. Generally it's GPU that would be the bottleneck, no matter what GPU you have, given how fast the 3600 is.

Here's a 5700XT one
>1070Ti/Vega56 performance at 90 watts

Attached: 5700xt undervolt testing.jpg (1904x343, 148K)

Do Ryzens typically run hot or is mine fucked? Full load is 85 and it goes around 55ish when gaymen.

t. Jew

There are no Corsair PSUs. Just Super Flower ones.

>1080p 144hz displays are also common yet tons of games are locked to 60fps. lol.
boy you can tell this guy doesn't play games

I'm from 2012. Since when did 1080p 60fps gaming become considered midrange?

More like 1080p 144hz

Thanks. In that case do you recommend going for a 1080p144hz or 1440p60hz monitor for my GTX 1060, knowing I'll probably upgrade GPU within a couple year.
I've never played above 60hz yet, so I can't say not going for 144hz would be much of a downside.

When 1080 144 became the midrange. 1080 75 is low end. 60hz is bargain bin $25 shit.

Ironic, one of the main reasons Corsair PSUs got a good name was because their original OEM was Seasonic for years, only later did they start changing around OEMs.

I haven't noticed mine get too hot although I did see it getting into the 70s just from downloading a terabyte of steam games for a few hours
I don't remember exact numbers or spin but I remember reviewers saying the series was fairly hot as they go

1440p 144hz would be a meme but for the fact that async is a thing nowadays, so people look at them and think "yeah my 2070/5700 is going to be lucky to get 100fps, but async will make it not choppy, and my eventual 2370/however AMD's naming scheme works will be able to a few years down the road and this will be the new monitor standard so I'm ahead of the curve".

>buying Ryzen 3 before AMD fixes voltage issues
>inb4 its just a measuring error!
sadly its not

planet3dnow.de/cms/48837-ryzen-3000-zu-hohe-idle-spannung-wegen-energiesparplan-amd-ryzen-balanced/
A workaround according to AMD is changing energy profile until its fixed, because having your CPU run at 1,45-1,5V isn't gonna increasing its lifespan

pcpartpicker.com/list/h6kfJ8
How does this look for a maximum-value mini-ITX build? Not specifically for gaming, just for general purpose work.

Doing a 9700k build. I need a mobo and 32gb RAM suggestions. Reusing my GPU and PSU. Maybe a case too, what case has the most amazing airflow potential? Looks don't matter

My 9700k just works.

8GB RAM in 2019? Come on dude. You know the state of modern web browsers.

G*ermans

What are the best performance/quiet case fans?
I want only your strongest and quiet fans.

Ok which generation of gpus enabled and 1440p 144hz midrange and 4K 1440p to be top tier?

I cant imagine Nvidshit or Amdcrap realing GPUs that did these

Again with this fucking meme.
It's fucking harmless to run at 1.4-1.5 when there's no load. ZERO HARM IS DONE.
Yes, I understand it itches your autism and increases idle temps by a couple of degrees but it is not damaging your CPU.

be quiet! Silent Wings 3

What did he mean with this?

Big sorry, phone posting

Nice try marketer shill. Please draw a curve again and show the pbo boosting at 4,75

pcpartpicker.com/list/cj3wTB
Better?

der ewige

Could you crank it up to 1.6V for gaming?

sounds like a fuckin maxi pad or summing. get noctua nf-a14

If you like housefires

Looks fine to me user, Team T-Force are cheap but I haven't heard anything particularly bad from them.

Where are my 3900x bros at?

Attached: 912B2FE403DD4F678ED291BF542C01E5.jpg (819x1024, 194K)

Do multiple monitors impact performances in any significant ways?
I am going to upgrade soon and will probably have two displays left and a bunch of vesa mounts I salvaged from an office closing nearby.
Is having say a game displayed in one, spotify on another and discord on the third any different than having a single display with the others running in the background in terms of CPU or GPU performances?

you need a maxi pad to clean up your noctual emissions

Nice argument you smoothbrained fuck. Learn what current is.
No, obviously. When there is an actual load it drops to ~1.33v which is completely safe and normal.

It will do damage in the long run

So what's the fix?

No it will not.

You can't handle my case fans, they're too quiet for you.

Attached: artworks-000405376812-ikvbtf-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 33K)

Shopkeeper, I'm telling, I am building a PC and I need only your strongest fans

>still waiting for restocks

Attached: 1qkcaj.jpg (500x500, 107K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Kl3H4vMqYNo

>tfw drove 300 mile round trip to buy 3900x last weekend at a random microcenter
Feels good man

Jude.

Attached: jidf_unmasked.png (1438x1079, 1.36M)

I would have done but somehow they ran out of motherboards before CPUs at my closest one and those haven't been restocked yet either.

55C during gaming is nothing wtf.

your $150 GPU is barely going to do 1080p@60 wtf are you talking about.

>kids on Jow Forumspcmasterrace complaining about component prices
>thinks a 1080ti build is 'mid-range'

PC building is economical if you understand that budget builds will run almost everything on High @ 1080p. Fortnite generation want 4k/144hz though because of all the flexing in the community now.

Attached: 1540630943_12568263_933952753392023_1730614151_n.jpg (428x428, 73K)

pcpartpicker.com/list/9rspq4

Is the power supply good enough? It's from my previous build from years back. Also waiting on the 5700xt AIB.

using Windows energy profile "balanced" until there's a proper fix

Don't complain.
It's their retarded purchasing decisions and demand for unnecessary performance that funds development of more and more powerful silicon which raises all our boats.

Corsair CX series is pretty low-end. in terms of wattage it's fine but long term use definitely want to get something better

It helped that my brother lived in that city, so I hung out with him for the day. Still glad I did it though.

what mobo buy

Appreciate the input.

what is a good target temperature for 9900k overclocking?
this will be my daily oc

no but really what are best fans for heatsinks that aren't loud

this is more to do with laptops, but I purchased replacement li-ion battery for my y50-70. I installed it and nothing boots anymore. I reinstalled my other battery (77% health lol) and it works just fine.
The battery labels both claim 54Wh, 7400mAh, 7.4 nominal voltage. What are the odds that the aftermarket battery is just a dud? Did Lenovo include some sort of battery DRM in their BIOS?

They're all shit.

8700k+1080Ti build is midrange now. You get the roughly the same performance out of a $1000 3600+5700XT build.

85C is fine for peak temp under stress testing, but I'd try to keep under 60C for a gaming load.

It's ever been thus.
Distorted perspective exists on the "budget" side of things too, whereas instead of "just get a 3600 instead of the 3600x bro" it's "never spend more than 50 dollars on a single part, trust me, 1080p is still a meme that will never catch on, who the fuck needs 2 gb of vram" and so on.
And for noobs who don't know what they'll get from different product combinations, I think the majority would rather overspend for satisfactory performance than end up with unsatisfactory performance at any price.

i heard ek vardars are really good so are noctua fans

What are some good compact cases for ATX?

gotcha, thanks

What are the specific model numbers of the old and new batteries?
Odds are it's some incompatibility that's hard to account for, or else just a dud, especially if it was sold as a replacement for the laptop model.

cerberus

Attached: mitx matx atx.jpg (4032x2268, 1.35M)

what temps do you get on what cooler?

Hey anons, my newly built desktop won't post. My Mobo RGB comes on, along with CPU fan, and some other motherboard lights, but my case fans, and my LED around my power switch won't work, even though the button works.

Here are images of the guts of the PC if anyone can see anything wrong. imgur.com/a/kJlu2BQ

Attached: 9899677.png (540x555, 71K)

65c under full gaming utilization with a 280mm AIO (corsair 115i platinum - got it on prime day for $100)

Oh, I forgot to say, overclocked to 5ghz

Why not? I got a used AX860 Platinum+ for $7 4-5 years ago and its served me well.

Anyone else's Vega 56 got bad coil whine? Even with an undervolt whenever it comes under load it whines like a bitch.

both old and new batteries are model L13M4P02, there's a second model-ish identifier 2ICP5/57/128-2 on both batteries as well
Plugging the computer in and looking at the energy information module, they report similar statistics for voltage and full design Wh

Where's your RAM?

If I'm nit buying a factory OC'd card is it safe to go with the founders edition or would a third party non factory OC card still have better thermals?
t. buying a 2060 super

Need an answer please. A good cheap mobo $150 or less preferably.

Well you don't have any RAM and your rear case fan isn't plugged in

Literally everyone hates you though

Check your eyes

I saw a single stick of corsair ram, and you might want to move it to the other slot of the same color
also plug in that fan

Too pricey, looking for a sub $150 case at most.
Something like a carbide 275r or eclipse p300. bequiet cases also look really nice

>designed and engineered in Sweden

Is this a sneaky way of saying "Made in China"?

Attached: 11-352-097-V01.jpg (640x480, 31K)

Nope. I have the Red Dragon, and sometimes there is a little whine as it is going from low load to high load, but it goes away after like 3-5 seconds.

>9700k
>cheap board
Reconsider your choices. You need to spend $170 to get a Z370/Z390 board that is equivalent to a $110 B450 board.

of course

Yes

I missed the image with the RAM but that rear fan is still unplugged regardless

Why are motherboards so expensive these days? When I built my 2500K PC, I think I spent $120 on an upper end, but not top, board.

I have a Sapphire Pulse and I got told it was a solid brand so I didn't think too much about it. Then got told a bunch of times that the coil whine will fade eventually.

NZXT H500 or Fractal Design Meshify C?
same price if i get meshify without window

Attached: 1563755644629.jpg (1925x2381, 722K)

Got a new 2080 TI today. Didn't fit in my case so I had to do some modifications.

Attached: new gpu.jpg (4032x3024, 3.15M)

my Nitro+ V56 whines like an absolute FUCKER under any sort of load. It's not a total dealbreaker since I've got it in a Define R5 that does a decent job of damping it but it sure is fucking annoying when the rest of the system is so quiet.

What are the absolute best fans to to replace the dead stock ones on my NH D14? Are those industrial PPC fans any good at low RPM?

christ almighty

I like your priorities user. But that's nothing, check out this

Attached: well well what do we have here boys.jpg (2085x1075, 601K)

>my Nitro+ V56 whines like an absolute FUCKER
But I warned you, I fucking told you people for weeks not to get tricked by AMD shills and that vega cards have massive coil whine ranging form absolutely insufferable to it's pretty loud

Wtf

What's a quality b450/x470 board for a budget ryzen 2600 build?

I was going to get the tomahawk because a lot of people recommended it, but I take it there are some issues with the board regarding zen 2 compatibility that's why a new MAX version is coming out, so I guess getting a tomahawk at this point is a bad idea.

Are all MSI boards affected by this problem? I'm only putting in a used 2600 right now, but it would be nice to have zen 2 (or maybe hopefully even zen 3) compatibility some time down the road.

I'm not planning on doing any overclocking/anything fancy with the board, I just want something reliable that has the potential to for a future zen2/potentially zen3 upgrade in the future.

Attached: 1537104732247.jpg (901x1200, 94K)