/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NT plus Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NT plus Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NT plus Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NT plus Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NT plus Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimize

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby

Last thread:

Attached: latest.png (657x614, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/the-windows-xp-repository.26911/
msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2018/03/23/kva-shadow-mitigating-meltdown-on-windows/
pcpartpicker.com/list/XYMg8Y
gitter.im/Open-Shell/UC-Menu-Skins?source=orgpage
classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5824
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services)
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOsevW3KdA
windowscentral.com/windows-10-lean-smaller-edition-windows-10-devices-16gb-storage
github.com/MattMcManis/Axiom
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Would this also include discussion of ReactOS?

probably yes, ReactOS is very similar to XP, since thats what they're reversing to write it's code

So would that mean that ReactOS updates could technically be used to update XP itself and extend its life?

yes, but actually no.
if you were to find a vulnerability in XP, you could fix the code in ReactOS (if it also has the vulnerability) and replace it, however reactos implementation is highly likely to be incomplete / inferior / more buggy. Simply patching the XP binary is just easier.

this should be a hoot

They should've stopped at windows 2000. It is the best version ever made after all

Attached: 1541972736364.png (480x480, 149K)

>They should've stopped at windows 2000. It is the best version ever made after all
Not that that's anything to brag about.

What's the best way to update Windows Embedded POSReady 7 while avoiding telemetry updates?

How do I make windows open apps faster? Like in linux, there's a lot of noticeable difference in disk I/O between cfq and bfq schedulers, are there such tweaks under windows or is it all dynamically adjusted?

don't know of any, closest i know is that you can change USB drives caching, since write caching was disabled due to normies pulling them out all the time

Is there a better music player than music bee that supports streaming and has that nice minimal look to it? I like it and all but whenever the audio stream is interrupted (ie dac is disconnected) it completely fucks its playback up and needs to be restarted.

I'm feeling like saying fuck it and reinstalling XP on an old computer I have here for the nostalgia, did some sort of easy activation tool ever come out for it?

not really, but here's a guide for activating and making genuine:
forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/the-windows-xp-repository.26911/

this general is already dead

just rather slow, it still hits bump limit in a few days

Is there any particular reason why push notifications are disabled by optimize-offline?

I didn't realize some shit wasn't working or notifying anything until I checked that it did just that. Sort of pointless since a lot of applications rely on these, not just store shit. Don't get me wrong, not a bad script but it does require auditing before doing stuff.

Is there a way to disable any Mitigations left on Windows 10 ???
I want to squeeze everything out of my Intel CPU lol

The only alternatives worth a shit on Windows are Foobar2k, AIMP and Winyl.

user you should have read what the .ps1 was going to do, anyway they are enabled in optimize-ltsc

I mean it's not a problem since you can revert stuff manually, but just saying that the script itself requires some reading, not just the guide or using arguments alone. Just like Set-privacy, I chose to skip it because it does have quite a bit of stuff I ain't comfortable having to re-enable afterwards.

Oh also, I know this should be obvious but do not remove OneCoreUAP.OneSync if you plan to install the store and mail/calendar apps.

enjoy your botnet morons

Serious question.
I want to configure some CMake environment to compile some shit with Mingw32. On Linux, development libraries can be installed easily with a package manager, CMake would find them and GCC would do the rest of the job nicely.
Is there a nice way to do that on Windows?

Attached: 1559657324553.jpg (582x365, 39K)

Some things like retpolines are not possible to be disabled.
However, more impacting ones like KVA shadowing can be disabled.

don't have experience with these kind of stuff but you might want to look into msys2

Kva shadowing ?
Any info on that ?
Also why raptoline can't be disabled ?

Will give it a try. Thanks.

>Kva shadowing ?
the windows equivalent of KAISER (linux), protection against meltdown. read more here:
msrc-blog.microsoft.com/2018/03/23/kva-shadow-mitigating-meltdown-on-windows/
>Also why raptoline can't be disabled ?
turns out i mixed it up, retpolines, the solution to spectre v2 can actually be disabled through registry.
Only L1TF and SSBD mitigations cannot be disabled, because they have minimal performance impact

As for disabling what can be disabled, use InSpectre tool

how can i make windows 10 look exactly like windows 7?

How fo I run office 97 on Windows 10

Attached: D5D4E0C3-C0FC-4F77-9319-9DB3311CC000.jpg (778x553, 83K)

Just use Windows Update normally (don't bother with optional updates, but it is safe), no embedded version includes telemetry updates. You can verify this using the update catalog site.

turn off windows write-cache buffering flushing
>but its not safe!
i've used this for years and not had any data corruption, and it gives me a noticeable performance improvement

Antiwpa 3 uses a hook, so any updates won't risk breaking the machine. Antiwpa 2 directly patches winlogon (the component that checks activation). First search engine results, don't fall for fake shit.

Should I be using optimize-ltsc or optimize-offline given the latter has been updated? The objective is to create an LTSC image with the store added (for like 3 things) and removed defender.

optimize-ltsc has been targeted at LTSC so you're probably better off with it

Words cannot describe how badly I wanted one of these bad boys.

Attached: handheld-sharp-hc-4500-color-mobilon-vintage-cestuche-D_NQ_NP_980647-MLA29005517866_122018-F.jpg (1200x900, 262K)

WinCE was pretty trash though, so its good only for the aesthetics at most

Not to mention once the battery on those died, your data went with it.
Still felt pretty futuristic though and the fact that you had exotic architectures such as Hitachi SuperH and MIPS running Windows was part of the appeal.

I think I'll stick with optimize-offline, I've tried several times and it gets stuck disabling windows features.

Works for me

I had to skip disabling any system apps related to the lock screen for it to work. I don't know why.

hey lads, I was planning a PC build, and it's most important goal is being a windows 7 build
do the ryzen 3rd gen and b450 motherboard work with windows 7?

pcpartpicker.com/list/XYMg8Y

Is there a script for debloating/debotnetting live LTSC? Or should I just use WPD (botnet)?

you can't, the best you can do is install openshell
someone has tried to make a win7 clone theme but the color trying to match the transparency is just faked meaning backgrounds other than default won't work
but here it is anyways:
gitter.im/Open-Shell/UC-Menu-Skins?source=orgpage
classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5824

"unsupported" cpus can be made to work with win7, but microsoft doesn't give updates for those systems

it's possible to bring back aero, but it requires some hooking around in DWM

that's fine since I don't install updates anyways
so how do I make it work? I just want to make sure everything will work before I order anything. googling and /pcbg/ have given me no solid answers, I just want confirmation before I buy it

How's directx on windows nt? I heard it has some limitations. I want to recreate a Win 95/98 feeling with multi-cpu support.

pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt

MsWindows 2000 best windows ever.
Run over a 486dx really faster than windows 95 or some linux from the era

All I remember was that just about nothing worked on NT 4.0 except Age of Empires.

thank you user, you have eased my mind

>AoE

that's all you need though

I think games that support opengl are the ones that work fine using it. But why crippled support for directx?

How does /fwt/ feel about the Windows Restricted Traffic Limited Functionality Baseline for W10?
(docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/privacy/manage-connections-from-windows-operating-system-components-to-microsoft-services) ?
Does WPD make it redundant?

Its for actually good windows versions, zoomers only know 8 and 10

it manages to break some things in windows and still not get rid of all spying. wpd or W10Privacy (or both) is better and more configurable

Would you guys have any guide for someone used to Linux since high school, who just got a job and now have to use Windows every working day all day?
How is that Linux on Windows thing?
Is there something like xcape to remap caps lock to both ctrl and esc?

Let's say I want to install windows fresh and a bunch of applications, then clean that up and make some sort of image of it to go back to in case I have to reinstall windows.

What would be the best method for that?

you can literally download Ubantu on windows now and bash away

m.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOsevW3KdA

now say thank you sempai

Is it like a VM? Or can i, say, access the same files?

Nah I mean like already having certain stuff installed (like 7-zip, firefox and such, maybe some heavier stuff). However this is pretty useful for the unattended part, thank you senpai.

maybe something in Windows ADK

>Minimal install
>Still manages to get candy crush saga and all the store crap
The method presented in this thread with LTSC is much better

it's hilarious how OP never uses the latest Windows logo (W10) or his poo smeared threads
it's like he also knows Windows is shit

how do I install screenfetch on Win 7? is it even possible?

>she doesn't play candy crush saga

Attached: 1512704833436.jpg (720x630, 60K)

Why is powershell so great?
I'm about to nut just from the sight of it

any news about Windows 10 Lean? It looked interesting windowscentral.com/windows-10-lean-smaller-edition-windows-10-devices-16gb-storage

>no registry editor
into the trash it goes
I guess it's good for super low-end chink tablets.

malware general

probably dead, given it was in rs5 insider and we're at like rs7 insiders now

Why do you need screenfetch when you have a Print Screen key on your keyboard? All you do is press that key, then paste it in Paint.

why is reactos 0.4.12 taking so long to release im dyyyyyyyyyyin

Because they're doing like Haiku; reverse-engineering a deprecated OS that everyone has moved away from, even though they get more funding and professional assistance than Haiku ever will.

I mean every Haiku general thread is started by one of their dyslexic project managers begging Jow Forums for free help or money, while ReactOS gets enough funding from Google and governments to afford paying its programmers.

i got this fantasy in my head that i don't think will ever happen about microsoft partnering with reactos and open sourcing windows. reactos becomes "windows legacy edition", the final version of NT. this would happen at the same time that microsoft introduces a new kernel and OS that forgoes backwards compatibility with NT versions of windows.

i wish people would give more money to haiku, i'll probably start using it once they add amdgpu

I honestly wish Haiku had more to show for its nearly-two-decades of existence, so that people would be more interested in actually funding the project for further progress.

bump

>boomer dad
>retired
>spends days downloading stuff from youtube
Is there some software, browser addon or website that provides simple, boomer-resistant capabilities for downloading stuff from Youtube? Dad has been using some downloader webpage until now but they're usually unstable and probably mine his cpu like crazy. Please send help for dad.

Try this github.com/MattMcManis/Axiom

Am I a sort of a hacker? I feel genuinely retarded for bragging about it, but I found the internal activation codes for Windows XP and 7.

Also Youtube-DLG. Instruct him to use this easy program and he is good to go.

prolly just retarded

Thanks, frens.

What's the most recent available browser for XP? Also does the XP POS trick still work to get updates to April 2019?
No I cannot upgrade or update this particular machine before anyone suggests it. Thank you in advance.

is deezloader safe?

I just bought a new notebook that came with w10 home edition, can I upgrade it to enterprise or do I need a fresh install?

How do I change the system region/language on Windows 10 LTSC?

Yep fresh install

Like you would on any other Windows version?

Has windows 7 always been this busted? Or is it just on life support?
I installed Win7 POSReady the other day and these are the issues I came across:
>shit ton of unidentified devices in device manager that won't update via properties or identify themselves so i literally cannot do anything
>at random times, not detecting USB's plugged into the system, even with USB controller drivers installed. Sometimes other applications detect them though, such as rufus.
>many applications wouldn't connect to the internet until i installed the TLS 1.1 and 1.2 windows update manually
>A few games instantly crash, and all compatability options are greyed out on shortcuts and executables
>Steam drops its connection to the internet every 20 minutes, interupting calls and online games
>Every hour or so, my computer refuses to connect to the internet
>With drivers installed, the system does that thing where it leaves trails behind when you move a window, indicating the display server is having issues keeping up with what I'm doing
I am happy to move to windows 8.1 since I used embedded before /fwt/ due to having msdn access, but is there like an essential fixes list for windows 7 in 2019, or should I just move on if these things bother me? My computer is fast, windows7 compatible (2012 CPU, modern GPU supported on 7), and has hardware good enough to run 99% of software on windows8.1/10 very well. Is it my computer, or are other windows 7 people who play games and using AMD FX chips / 2012-era mobos having these issues too? Thanks.

Attached: robot skeleteon.gif (192x192, 16K)

Oh yeah and not to mention the performance is literal cancer on this install than when compared to windows 8.1
Am I doing something wrong, or is it that windows 7 just can't keep at it anymore and any software released/updated these days is going to run significantly worse on it due to the nature of it being an old operating system?

its just a freak coincidence, i dont know whatcha talkin about insano

does windows 7 POSready work perfectly on your hardware? What hardware are you running?

Check out the New Moon thread over on the MSFN Windows XP’s board. Roytam1 does builds builds of several different Mozilla browsers.

Awesome thanks alot

You could get an ISO of a corporate version that doesn't require activation.

>Win7 POSReady

well, there's your problem. go with enterprise.

it sucks for youtube/html5 video though, i use this browser and advanced chrome for video (the xp version) with sandboxie (because it has tons of vulnerabilities)