Is there any reason not to use this?

is there any reason not to use this?

Attached: 250px-Glenda_bunny_mascot_of_plan_9_from_bell_black[1].jpg (250x319, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_operating_systems#1960s
codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/
osnews.com/story/15235/investigating-the-plan-9-operating-system/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no

if you can deal with no proper web browser and no ability to playback video, it can be pretty comfortable
you'll be missing a lot of software in general, really

no software

yeah but isn't that a good thing? i basically picture it as a sandbox you can make things in rather than use. i could build it from the ground up and make it my own personal OS.

you can do that with lfs and get an actually usable system at the end, unless you're literally talking about writing and porting software and libraries over to 9meme.

You can make things yes but modern web browsing and video are just not achievable.

Yes

Attached: robert.jpg (500x335, 20K)

>Rob "The Nob" Pike
Yeah, I'll pass.

what if i make my own browser?
yeah i was thinking porting some tools, like modelling programs, drawing programs, stuff to help with productivity.

this is what I was going to post are you me

instead of that, go help serenity user if you know c++, your """talent""" will get actual use there.

github.com/SerenityOS/serenity

I use it every day

Attached: ima_31a6251.jpg (1928x1446, 161K)

How do you like it? Do you have installed as an OS or are you using just the utilities?

I have it installed as my main OS, but I do have plan9port installed on my work Linux box as well.

>to help with productivity
You don't care about productivity.

>is there any reason not to use this?
Yes. Your time.

I've been interested in using Plan 9's C compiler and library for a while. However, when I install it and start programming in a normal C file, I try to include but it seems to not find it. This is a little specific, but do you know what I fucked up?

It's hardly more usable for every day tasks than TempleOS. Probably less actually.

Is your PATH set up properly? That's the only thing I can think of

I'll double check. Pretty sure it is.

> t. retard
The difference in usability is abysmal.
I can't understand people why people speaks without knowing what they are talking about.

>The difference in usability is abysmal.
Plan 9 didn't even have a web browser last I checked, what's supposed to be the difference?

> Plan 9 didn't even have a web browser last I checked

If that's your only metrics for OS usability you are clinically retardes son.

Why don't you find out?
> 9front.org

I use it, you can spurn a Linux VM and pipe the browser over with X for your faggy web needs and use it like a chad for all else.

well, if you use 9front you can use linuxemu in order to run modern web browsers

do you run mothra

Attached: 1512348014665.jpg (500x319, 15K)

Can I read PDFs and do C programming in it? That's all I really need.

Dude he's memeing. That's just a image he found online. No one actually uses it

He's clearly not using plan9. He glued to a three button mouse and the keyboard

He's not glued to a three button mouse and the keyboard. He's not using plan9

What's your favourite thing about Plan9?
What's your least favourite thing?

For me, I like the compiler and building tools.
Someone should make a windowing system that isn't Rio.

Attached: Plan9 portabiltiy and compiler design.png (666x1052, 71K)

> What's your favourite thing about Plan9?
Pretty much everything. (it's "Plan 9", with capital P and space).
From the technical features to usability.
If you use it for a couple of months as your daily driver, switching back to Linux/BSD feels clumsy.

> What's your least favorite thing?
The small community, lack of application/drivers: ie everything that comes from the lack of manpower and time

It came from Bell Labs.

rsc wrote the text editor Acme using C in plan9.

>productivity
>I'll just make tools for myself first
Level of procrastination is amazing

It has 3 browsers and has done for most of this century.

The most blessed setup on Jow Forums, should that really be yours.
Explain 9front's (double/triple?) ironic anti-swastika on their website to me please.

Punk ain't no religious cult Punk means thinking for yourself You ain't hardcore cos you spike your hair When a jock still lives inside your head Nazi punks Nazi punks Nazi punks-Fuck Off! Nazi punks Nazi punks Nazi punks-Fuck Off! If you've come to fight, get outa here You ain't no better than the bouncers We ain't trying to be police When you ape the cops it ain't anarchy [Repeat chorus] Ten guys jump one, what a man You fight each other, the police state wins Stab your backs when you trash our halls Trash a bank if you've got real balls You still think swastikas look cool The real nazis run your schools They're coaches, businessmen and cops In a real fourth reich you'll be the first to go [Repeat chorus] You'll be the first to go You'll be the first to go You'll be the first to go Unless you think

Poor software support. Poor anything support, really.

Someone has to, and you only have to do it once. Then you can use it forever, and so can other people.

9chrome is in development and is almost complete! almost i swear!

9chrome is impossible because the code is so shit

9chrome is unnecessary because 9front is better off the way it is?

pick your poison

Having real hardware seems like a good reason to not use it.

Please don't say you are upset that a German project is anti-nazi. This is the real world.

It doesn't support my hardware.

I am not, even though I am one myself. It would be silly to not use or be upset about the technology itself.
Someone claimed however that it was tongue in cheek, this is why I am asking.

It’s not

source? This isn't reddit

They used to have mein kampf in /lib and swastika on their page, but when uriel died a sjw antifa shithead took over and you have what you have now.

Incorrect. Uriel gave his creds to his close friends who continue to run it.
They used a lot of Nazi and general German imagery because they thought it was funny and a lot of them are German however people are stupid and took it seriously. So they had to add disclaimers to limit the number of people joining their channel going "hello my fellow Nazis, nigger nigger nigger amirite".
This is David Bowie by the way

Attached: 9frontfell01.png (338x450, 129K)

Incorect to the antifa bit sorry. They did used to distribute Mein Kampf. I'm not sure why they stopped, some people claim copyright but it could also be people getting the wrong idea.

Attached: 9inferno01.png (500x347, 745K)

kek at the image. Thanks for clearing things up user.

>Productivity
>Reinventing the wheel
Yeah.... no

What are some things you use daily for it?

Programming, writing/reading papers, read mail, study how the os works.
But good chances are that 9front is not for you, it is written in the doc

>using wooden wheels

I run mothra but usually end up using a linux VM for Firefox. Too many websites require javascript

Is it difficult to setup the vm?

Nope, just read the manual

their mascot sucks

Cirno is the strongest, my man

>no software
are you retarded?
git clone X
cd X && ./configure && make install

Plan 9 is worse than snake oil. Plan 9 was created to make distributed computing look like snake oil. Like UNIX compared to Multics, it arrived years after working distributed computing protocols and is still worse. AT&T's "research" is inferior to what was already on the market and will always be, no matter how much time and money is put into it. It's "research" that results in an inferior OS, increases costs on every single level, decreases productivity, replaces simple solutions with complex problems (sometimes so complex that nobody believes they can be solved), makes things worse for users, and prevents real researchers from doing what works because of "compatibility" with horrible interfaces. UNIX and Plan 9 are anti-research that shit on 60 years of computer science. That's why UNIX technology like Plan 9, BSD, and Linux in 2019 is worse than what Multics did in the 60s. Plan 9 uses "tar" to copy directory hierarchies not for any "philosophical" reasons, but because the version of UNIX it was based on didn't have "cp -r" and they were not capable of adding it. It doesn't have dynamic linking because they weren't smart enough to copy Multics or another mainframe system that does it properly. It still has the same bc calculator and all that other UNIX bullshit. What sucks is when Plan 9 weenies point to something that UNIX does wrong and blame the entire thing itself instead of the broken UNIX implementation.

It uses you a nonstandard version of C and doesn't have any of the libraries programs depends on you tard. good luck compiling anything.

Your full of shit.
cp -r is """missing""" to avoid having recursion reimplemented in every tool that needed it. The smart thing to do was to separate that task.
Dynamic linking was removed because it was literally a shitty hack and only ever existed because they ran out of disk space and had to add another 10MB disk (which is also why /usr exists too).
Have you ever used multics it was dropped because it was a clusterfuck.
>muh unix ruined 60 of computer science
It was literally the first operating system written in a high level language and brought us the concept of piping. 9 front was a deliberate effort to de-shittify unix after berkley and mit fucked everything up. Plan 9 had a viable X replacement decades before wayland and it managed to not be absolute shit which is something I can't say about wayland.
Only brainlets who can't figure out how to use pipes and console redirections to make everything faster and easier hate unix and plan 9. This is because of the microshit and applel style gui that made computing IQ drop world wide by 50 points. When you literally cannot do shit that secretaries and interns did decades ago on shittier slower hardware you might actually be retarded.
If you need to use a gui you're a nigger, the command line is for the white man.

>It was literally the first operating system written in a high level language
It literally wasn't. That was Burroughs B5000.
Why do people keep spreading this lie?

Who is white?

Enjoy living in the 60s with zero progress in computing, dumb kid. Following T3H UNEEXZ WAE is just clinging to an outdated past which was fine at the time because it's all we had, but computing has progressed and evolved past that for the benefit of everyone.
Grow up, kid, and stop parroting a bunch of bullshit you read that was probably said as a joke. I'm likely old enough to be your dad and I don't cling to some fucking outdated system beyond simple nostalgia and curiosity.

>Enjoy living in the 60s
The funny thing is that the 60s had shit that was already better than Unix in some ways, and that's before Unix was ever created.

>the 60s had shit that was already better than Unix in some ways
What systems & how were they better than unix in some ways?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_operating_systems#1960s

Yes operating systems existed prior. Apparently multics was the direct competitor, according to the jargon file. I know there were huge multics unix wars.
What I'm asking however is - in your opinion - which systems were better and in what ways?

>computing has progressed and evolved
If you mean that software has progressively gotten slower and evolved to use more memory and disk space you'd be right. If you mean it's gotten better you're delusional.
Has any "modern" software actually done anything new? It's all the same shit really, the only difference is that all of this great progressed and evolved software is slower than shit that's half a century old now.
Does reimplementing everything in a gtk front end count as improved? Is using a javascript framework that emulates an entire browser to run inside of a browser so something as braindead simple as a website can be displayed on my screen at the expense of 3 gigs of ram progress?
Programmers have been 100% reliant on hardware improvements for decades now to cover up the fact that their software is irredeemable shit and now that moores law has plateaued I'm looking forward to seeing all of the retards in industry disappear.
But by all means provide specific examples of these legendary feats of computer science that we have now despite unix holding everything back. I'm not going to hold my breath.

>Has any "modern" software actually done anything new?
I'm honestly not sure if I'm being fucking trolled or you really are that fucking goddamn horribly STUPID.
Kids, get off the internet and get some fresh air. Your brains are dying.

I'm not him. I think Unix was great and Plan9 was even better from a systems perspective.
I think what would revolutionize computing would be a mixture of Plan9 and TempleOS running on a microkernel, using an androidlike gui.
If you think I'm joking, look into serious reviews of TempleOS.

codersnotes.com/notes/a-constructive-look-at-templeos/

And
osnews.com/story/15235/investigating-the-plan-9-operating-system/

>my specific example is that you must be retarded
So nothing.
Genius I wonder why no one else has tried that before... Its almost like you know somewhere deep down that you are full of shit bit are too proud to admit it.
Computing hasn't switched paradigms since Unix.

>look into serious reviews of TempleOS.
I actually have played around with TempleOS. My lack of knowledge got me nowhere. However I also later did read serious reviews. It really is an innovative operating system. So ugly though, but that's superficial & wouldn't be hard to change.

What I found amazing, was the lightness, the ability to draw over the shell. Finally the programs as actual schematics (flowcharts?), and from said schematics you can go right to the respective files.

nope, plan9 is not gentoo, it has a custom c compiler which is non-standard. but nice meme retard.

templeos straight up doesnt have networking. stop posting retard, you never actually installed either.

epic

fuck you bitch, say it to my face and see what happens

based system bro.

>the 9front argument triangle meme: the thread.

Software bloat is mostly an overblown myth.
The reason software is larger and uses more resources nowadays is, more often than not, because it's doing more.
Plus, the so called "Unix philosophy" encourages duplication and wheel reinvention by making everything a separate binary and thus forcing every single command to serialize and deserialize data at every step. It's the main reason pipes are beyond retarded.
So I find it ironic that it's mostly Unix worshippers complaining about "bloat", because their philosophy is precisely what encourages it.

>no PowerPC support

That's just an image posted on their site

> Plus, the so called "Unix philosophy" encourages duplication and wheel
It's the contrary but it's obvious you are trolling, you can't be this stupid.

> forcing every single command to serialize and deserialize data at every step
Since when every single command has to save data persistently?
And if you mean serialization into a buffer it's inevitable for any "message passing" paradigm.

You are really really stupid and it's obvious you don't know what unix philosophy is

9bump

I don't think so. Image search lead to a GitHub account.
I don't recall ever seeing that image on cat-v nor on 9front.org