What was the goal of this? What were they trying to accomplish?

What was the goal of this? What were they trying to accomplish?

Attached: javamod2_thumb.jpg (657x355, 19K)

it is a programming language user.

"compile once, run anywhere"
AT ANY COST.

>What were they trying to accomplish?
Everything

It was good unti it pick related.
Now let it die in piece.

Attached: 220px-Kotlin-logo.svg.png (220x220, 6K)

retarded jetbrain shill

>Java: A Beginner's Guide (7th Edition):

Java was conceived by James Gosling, Patrick Naughton, Chris Warth, Ed Frank,
and Mike Sheridan at Sun Microsystems in 1991. This language was initially called
“Oak” but was renamed “Java” in 1995. Somewhat surprisingly, the original impetus
for Java was not the Internet! Instead, the primary motivation was the need for a
platform-independent language that could be used to create software to be embedded
in various consumer electronic devices, such as toasters, microwave ovens, and
remote controls. As you can probably guess, many different types of CPUs are used
as controllers. The trouble was that (at that time) most computer languages were
designed to be compiled into machine code that was targeted for a specific type of
CPU. For example, consider the C++ language.
Although it was possible to compile a C++ program for just about any type of
CPU, to do so required a full C++ compiler targeted for that CPU. The problem,
however, is that compilers are expensive and time consuming to create. In an attempt
to find a better solution, Gosling and the others worked on a portable, cross-platform
language that could produce code that would run on a variety of CPUs under
differing environments. This effort ultimately led to the creation of Java.

>The problem, however, is that compilers are expensive and time consuming to create.
that's totally understandable for the 1990s. i remember how difficult and expensive it was to get certain compilers for certain systems. but in 2019, that shit looks weak as fuck. we have access to compilers for all kinds of CPUs, and free, yet Java still exists? sad world when people keep on insisting on using this level of bloated cancer.

it seemed like a good idea at the time

nobody is forcing you to use it user
if you want to start a new project use whatever you want
the reason it still exists is because its good enough to not need to change if you've already got it everywhere
also easier to find pajeets who know java over anything else

>nobody is forcing you to use it user
where did i once mention where i was forced to use it? HIGHLIGHT THE FUCKING TEXT.
absolutely sick of you illiterate dumb cunts today. may you all fucking kill yourselves.

companies don't want to use C# just because they want to compete against Microsoft. it's going to be interesting because most companies are either on custom forks or legacy java that only has a few years of support left. Oracle Java will probably go the way of COBOL by the end of the decade.

I'll continue the passage (and format it better this time):

About the time that the details of Java were being worked out, a second, and
ultimately more important, factor emerged that would play a crucial role in the future
of Java. This second force was, of course, the World Wide Web. Had the Web not
taken shape at about the same time that Java was being implemented, Java mighthave remained a useful but obscure language for programming consumer electronics.

However, with the emergence of the Web, Java was propelled to the forefront of
computer language design, because the Web, too, demanded portable programs.
Most programmers learn early in their careers that portable programs are as
elusive as they are desirable. While the quest for a way to create efficient, portable
(platform-independent) programs is nearly as old as the discipline of programming
itself, it had taken a back seat to other, more pressing problems. However, with the advent of the Internet and the Web, the old problem of portability returned with a vengeance. After all, the Internet consists of a diverse, distributed universe populated with many types of computers, operating systems, and CPUs.

What was once an irritating but low-priority problem had become a high-profile
necessity. By 1993 it became obvious to members of the Java design team that the
problems of portability frequently encountered when creating code for embedded controllers are also found when attempting to create code for the Internet. This realization caused the focus of Java to switch from consumer electronics to Internet programming. So, while it was the desire for an architecture-neutral programming language that provided the initial spark, it was the Internet that ultimately led to Java’s large-scale success.

ok evince blows at this, Linux really can be the memeOS at times.

Yeah you wont see the end of java backend anytime soon. Problem with c# is Microsoft. They cant even figure out a name for their ecosystem they're so incompetent. They get rid of net and call it core. Now they're gitting rid of core and switching back to net. Brutal

Java was worth most of its hype, and it has had a huge and lasting impact on the industry.

People today don't appreciate that half the shit they take for granted in modern languages came directly from Java.

>Oracle Java will probably go the way of COBOL by the end of the decade.

So basically in use by everything and everyone just like it has been for decades

I mean. I'm just a python programmer so what the fuck do I know right. but if that was really the case, then wouldn't there be plenty of other languages available with the same capacities of Java and C#? why wouldn't people use those instead?

A language isn't just a language. It's also third party libraries, well-performing compilers and runtimes, interop with other technologies, and (perhaps most importantly) the number of people who know it that you as an employer can hire. Once a certain language gets enough momentum, people start writing third party libraries, which makes it useful for other domains, which attracts even more talented developers to write even more third party libraries, which attracts braniacs who can make it run faster, which attracts even more people, etc. So there's only enough oxygen in the ecosystem for a half dozen such languages.

I see, that sounds fair, thanks for clarifying

> muh better language
I would rather use Scala then

I think they were trying to do something for web TV but it flopped. So rather than scrap everything and start over, they repackaged it as something else and it just kind of took off from there.

They actually did accomplish a holistic web-engine for eCommerce in the late 90s and early 2000s - all airlines run 1.8, all logistics companies use tomcat+servlets.

Good shit, thanks user.

They wanted a safer, better c++ and failed miserably.

Power the web. Work effectively for large teams with different backgrounds. Java accomplished its goals.

That being said Go and Kotlin are eating its lunch now. Java lost its luster a while ago. Ruby showed folks they could have it "better" (true in some respects).