Here's your SSD bro

Here's your SSD bro

Attached: samsung.png (496x374, 303K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rsOL8iebGoI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Awesome, fits right inside my 2.5" dock. Thanks for following industry standard sizes!

Couldn't they make it half the size so you could fit two in one tray? They have no moving parts so two screws are enough.

And before you ask you just route the other one from the "front".

They do

Attached: m2-ssd.jpg (2000x1333, 207K)

>fit two in one tray
how do you I/O that

Attached: 1413950059426.gif (400x220, 3.23M)

Meme

Put one in master mode

I'm guessing just like Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3

Based

Attached: wtf.jpg (640x960, 162K)

Mandatory raid 0

On a serious note, can this fuck up the ssd in the long time?

this

the retards could sell two for one slot

dumb companies

>Couldn't they make it half the size so you could fit two in one tray?

They decided that a full-sized drive that fits as one unit in one tray would be the ideal way to go.

Why the fuck do you need two half-size drives? Why not just have one good drive?

>fit two in one tray
Oh my god I really love stacking together 2x240 GB drives in the same bay, what the fuck are 480 GB drives anyway?

retards
it's cool to have two
and better because no partitions, they reduce the life of the ssd

/thread

>partitions reduce the life of an SSD
What?

Attached: E16A2270-9D26-4CD0-B516-8A66F6A94812.jpg (720x960, 64K)

why would you have two SSDs with no partitions?

on top of that, how in the fuck do partitions reduce the life of a SSD?

Attached: 1413920534819.jpg (433x380, 25K)

What SSD's already are technically, a bunch of NAND in RAID

Attached: kingwin 2x2,5 to 3,5.jpg (1000x1000, 42K)

Did it work tho

SATA SSDs have better thermals, are cheaper and performance wise are perfect for normies and gaymurs. Very few people need NVMEME M2 drives.

>that spacing
Why

cooling, presumably

not a meme, I have four of those in a single 3.5 inch drive mount

I could stock it with 8tb of ssd storage.

thanks maybe I can fit a second ssd into my xps without removing the battery like the docs say. Never realized it doesn't fill the case

Cooling. If you stack two 2.5" 7200rpm HDDs without any space in-between, they can overheat.

There are SSDs in that picture, not HDDs.

NVMeme

>and better because no partitions, they reduce the life of the ssd

Attached: PEEP it.png (420x420, 174K)

>SSDs have no moving parts like CPUs therefore the electricity generates no heat
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

fpbp

Yeah I know, you mentioned HDDs though.

>10x larger than a micro sd card
thanks nigga

What the fuck

here's your 2280 bro

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1024x576, 64K)

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (800x800, 90K)

>literally a rebranded SanDisk piece of shit
Remember when Western Digital made good storage?

Based.

based
industry is shifting towards m.2 now though at least

I still have no idea how these things are meant to work

what do you mean?

How? It's pretty simple. It's storage the goes on the pcie bus.Can be sata or nvme. Not any different than your chipset doing your normal sata ports and it going to the processor.

Attached: 1449806603427.jpg (640x480, 57K)

tell me more

is it msata but in a sata enclosure?

microsd sucks tho
they fail too much

those are m.2

pic related is msata

Attached: msata to 2,5.jpg (640x480, 27K)

does it work as primary driver?

They still do. At least mechanical drives. SSDs there are only two brands even worth considering, Samsung and Intel.

bro what is this 2008?

2,5" hdds exist and can be put in the same bracket.
go to sleep, user.

Not him, but how are they faster than HDD? USB is also flash based, but they are much slower. Is it because they get a dedicated power?

SSDs can get hot, too, especially the higher end ones

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x720, 163K)

HDD needs to spin the disk which means you need to wait however long it takes to literally move the data towards the read thingy
solid state just accesses the data directly
USB is limited by its interface speed
PCIE has a higher bus speed than USB

For any kind of ssd m.2 or sata it's faster because of flash memory. Usb sticks are slow because they have shit controllers.

NVME has a higher bandwidth than USB or SATA

Yes, and? That bracket can be used for any 2.5" drive.

Besides the answers you already got, it also has to do with the quality of the flash chips.

this. Why is this board full of dumbasses?

this

As silly as it sounds I don't see why this wouldn't work. Maybe it would require a switch to change from a regular drive to being add on storage, but I think it's still possible

Is it even worth it to get an U.2 drive even for a good price? You'll need an adapter and extra cable to use that with your M.2 slot

Tbh I want my Sata SSDs not any bigger than it needs to be so they can just hang off the daisy chain PSU cable free in my case

Thats why theres so many slots just raid them

>16 TB effective size RAID6 array of microsd cards
imagine

>Copy - Copy(2) - Copy

It depends on the computer but generally yeah

If my laptop only supports SATA2 connection is it still worth it to upgrade to SSD?

Simple:
A nano-scale logic gate is set to either opened or closed in a huge array of billions of other logic gates.
These gates represent 0 and 1.
With these two numbers, you can represent anything mathematically. In this case, it's just data.

These are all on flash chips that keep their gate states without power. There may be multiple flash chips on the PCB. These will be controlled by a microprocessor that maps the data, translates it to addresses, and preforms other tasks like wear-leveling.

Then you have ANOTHER microprocessor that translates that information to information that can be transmitted and received via the PCIe or SATA bus, so the CPU can grab it at will and read or write data as needed.

In some models, they will even have a cache chip where data can be temporarily stored for pending writes to the flash chip, since writes of small data sometimes take a while.

There are also other tiny passive components that act as resistors or capacitors, or voltage regulators on the PCB.

Mutiplex it with a controller chip.
Addresses above one chip gets automatically multiplexed to higher addresses.

yes, the main advantage of SSDs is their IOPS, not their throughput

Yes. SATA 2 is like 350MB/so you're not losing out on much

Random access time will be drastically reduced even if you're capped at 350MB/s, resulting in extremely noticeable improvement in boot time and general performance

Even on SATA 1 it's worth it

Technically, you should still go for upgrade since even in SATAII SSD is still somewhat faster than a HDD not to mention being much more resistant to mechanical impact, though at this point you might as well as save your money and buy a new machine instead. A new-ish T440 cost less than $100 if you know where to look

Shut up racist!

Brands aren't everything, you fucking retard. All Samsung drives are stupid expensive

Sabrent is the real patrician choice, for those of us who don't want to support monopoly gooks and zionists. Sabrent blows everyone else out of the water in bang-for-your-buck

it's just worth it in general
even things like using SD/CF cards in IDE adpaters on really old machines it's worth it (good/modern SD/CF cards, mind, that at least compete with the hdd in throughput)
the only reason old computers didn't use flash was because the chips were small, expensive, and the throughput wasn't too great, but even early on, the IOPS (access times, simply) btfo hdds, so flash getting bigger and cheaper meant it was only a matter of time before they replaced hdds

>manlet consols BTFO

Cheap CF cards tend to have garbage random write speed, fast UDMA ones are expensive, and SD to IDE adapters are buggy and not very cost effective.

Absolutely. I put cheap SSDs in a few duo2cuo era machines at work and it made a HUGE difference.

I imagine that would have terrible response time.

Intel doesn't make their own controllers or flash anymore, their drives are the same shit as adata etc.

i meant "worth it" more in the sense that they are notably faster/more responsive than hdds, not necessarily that they're worth the cost difference
naturally, sata ssds are the cheapest, since they're contemporary and common
on the plus side, in general you don't need a large amount of storage with old hardware

pic related, 16GB, 50MB/s for $28 doesn't sound good compared to a typical sata ssd, but it'll still beat the 10GB hdd you have in your windows 98 box, preferably getting a pci sata cart would be best, but that's not always possible
i've seen people use SD>IDE adapters successfully, though i can't really speak for them

this is a based thread

ahem, pic related

if you have a bit more money, they also have 32GB, 120MB/s ones for $55

Attached: 2019-07-23-024025_784x334_scrot.png (784x334, 119K)

Unironically, this is entirely true