Why aren't you using Sway, the best WM for the modern Linux desktop?

Why aren't you using Sway, the best WM for the modern Linux desktop?

> user, I...

Attached: swaybg.png (2048x1536, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/michaelforney/velox
github.com/michaelforney/oasis
github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/984
github.com/ihebchagra/dotfiles
twitter.com/AnonBabble

show pics

>no Debian repos
compiling from source will kill pic related

Attached: dims.jpg (429x360, 17K)

>no BSD or System 5 UNIX support
pass

Because I'm waiting for way-cooler

Because it's a copy of i3 which is the worst tiling wm only made popular by redditors.

Shame there isn't a dwm or xmonad Wayland clone.

into the trash it goes

Attached: file.png (656x275, 34K)

Nvidia graphics (yeah, i know) and I cam't be arsed to rice a distro. Looking forward to a new PC and manjaro-sway

>sway
>WM

>Susan Wayland (born 1980), German glamour and latex model nicknamed Sway.
Based

Attached: Creativecommonsa1.jpg (533x800, 321K)

>tiling
>modern

Attached: 1549502673743.png (512x512, 674K)

Looks like a druggie hooker.

Because I have a job and therefore use Windows.

MOMMY MOMMY GIB MILKIES

FF is not wayland yet

>i3
>tiling
you're doing it wrong

>FF is not wayland yet
completely wrong

it hasn't
your fedora meme build doesn't count

i am

Attached: rice.png (1365x767, 607K)

just add env variables ya git

Nixos + sway has to be one of the most meme combinations I have ever seen

Attached: 1545009253211.png (1533x832, 46K)

lol i know, i won't lie and say how hipster it is isny one of the reasons i stuck with it.
But it's surprisingly great and since its nixos insanely stable and recreatable. Anyone can now clone my dotfiles git repo, type nixos install and get my system setup easily. I like that aspect of it

Retard. put either
export GDK_BACKEND=wayland
or
export MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

into your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc or whereever you set your env variables.

>Retard

lol how stupid do you have to be

>GDK_BACKEND=wayland
that's gtk default

but i am on sway. feels good having no x. does not feel good when my language switcher for jp input (fcitx mozc) decides to spasm and flash wildly.

>i3status
>sway, which is visually exactly i3
>transparent terminals
>only terminals
>pywal

Attached: 1554417714623.png (441x385, 165K)

looks like a trannie

Because has glitches on some GUI programs that I use

>Shame there isn't a dwm or xmonad Wayland clone.
>velox is a simple window manager based on swc. It is inspired by dwm and xmonad.
github.com/michaelforney/velox

It's what the men uses in it's own "suckless" linux distro:
github.com/michaelforney/oasis

Attached: oasis.png (1920x1200, 814K)

that bar not i3status

Too bad Velox is written in C, the best part about Xmonad is being able to configure it in Haskell.

there is a wm called waymonad, its mistly xmonad compatible

waymonad is pre alpha stage software

I was, but stopped doing so because Sway 1.0 dropped swaygrab and their custom IPC for making screenshots and screencasts in favor of putting a Wayland screenshot protocol extension on the security TODO list, something that every other sensible Wayland compositor including Weston supports.
github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/984
Notice how isn't exactly 1366x768, but one pixel cut off in every direction? Virtual machine.

no i didnt bother to write a shortcut for fullscreen scrot do i did it by selecting the area

here is a full screenshot

Attached: screenshot.png (1366x768, 714K)

absolutely wrong. grim and slurp already exist.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I do feel pretty bad now that I've migrated to Ratpoison plus compton.
In fact, that empty checkbox only seems to refer to lack of security controls on the ability to make screenshots.

baka you're on 4channel you're not supposed to admit fault
pshhht look at this dude saying sorry
a true autistic Jow Forums user would upload a basedwojak and say
>implying these tools are usable in the first place
or something

make a floating windows fork and I'll use it
no, way-cooler, wayfire etc all suck and will only be ready by 2039

Might try it soon, what's unique in sway as opposed to any other wm

Just need to build libwlroots and sway, less than 1 minute in old thickpad, just type meson build && ninja -C build install

How did you get Sway to work within NixOS?
I tried doing it myself but even when I specified the package and tried masking the GDM service to start it, My configurations failed.

Can you post your dotfiles?

>can't into proper keybinding that overwrite everything
>Can't even preselect next window spawn direction
Thanks, I'll pass even without all the other negatives of Wayland.

>github.com/ihebchagra/dotfiles
there is a pretty popular overlay for anything wayland related

you can't use a display manager with sway currently, you need to srart it from console.
In my configuration.nix i have a quick bash script at login

>le epic infinite shadow meme
user, I...

meanwhile in Rust it would take 6 hours to compile

I just use ibus. I had to write a script for it, but after that it just werks

but I am. It's not bad but still has a lot of graphical bugs and the config file syntax is horrific.

sddm works

oh that's good to know, very nice

iirc only SDDM and GDM have wayland support.

Tried it just as I saw this thread, and virtually nothing I pressed or clicked did anything. Had to switch to a tty and reboot.

you need dmenu or rofi or at least a terminal to launch programs from

have you tried not being retarded

>Anyone can now clone my dotfiles git repo, type nixos install and get my system setup easily.
sounds dope, thought nixos was just a meme but that sounds useful

Both of these have X stuff in their descriptions or dependencies. Are these the packages I need or are there wayland/sway specific ones?

All the BSDs (FreeBSD, DragonflyBSD, NetBSD, HardenedBSD) actually support Wayland, OpenBSD didn't bother to port it yet but I heard that there was some interest to port it over.

wayland which means high performance, high security, and minimal bloat compared to X

There's a bemenu port for wayland.

I've heard that you have to rewrite most software for it to work in wayland, is that true? I might be mistaken though

Will try
thanks

I'll use Sway when GTK themes work on it.

yeah nixos and nixops are by design devops solution
It was the result if a PhD study to solve the problem that docker and other similiar stuff try to solve. Scientifically the idea behind nix is solid and is straight up great. The work to implement the idea is pretty tough tho and takes time like anything else in this world

XWayland makes it so anything that works on X works on wayland. It works flawlessly.
So you're wrong there. You don't need to rewrite. just write new shit that works natively and legacy X software is still supported
besides both qt5 and gtk3 all work on wayland natively, some other libraries do too

Neat, does xwayland introduce noticeable lag on toaster hardware

>it works flawlessly
it does not work flawslessly, there are many issues with scaling performance and other issues. But you wont notice on you 1366x768 thinkpad

not sure maybe, i have a decent 7th gen i7 and i dont notice issues
Probably on older hardware problems will arise, its a compatibility layer after all, if not given enough resources issues will show

I'll use Sway when GTK themes work.

Cool, have you tried gaming on it? Not necessarily the most recent AAA games, retro games like Fallout or Doom or Serious Sam or whatever are fine too

>AOTP: Gorillas

I never thought I would come across such a cultured individual on Jow Forums. Have a lovely day.

Attached: 1559854095047.jpg (362x447, 155K)

hehe thanks buddy
legendary song, always at the top of my playlist when out running

Lacks some features

Whoever uses the most obscure wm wins
Bonus point for claiming how much more productive it is compared to other wms

Not him, but it does introduce input lag, not as bad as just in-game vysnc, but it is still noticeable.
note: the only game I tried was tf2

I play CS:GO on Wayland sometimes and it's fine as far as I can tell.

Does any of those 2 have a way to select a region to screenshot with the mouse? I can screenshot my whole screen which is good. But to screenshot a region I need to type the range in pixels whose coordinates I don't now, so you probably can imagine that I've never succeeded that way.

I do like sway on my thinkpad though. That, and having to export an environment for Java applications to display correctly are the only problems I've run into so far.

Used it for a bit, wayland isn't that well supported sadly. i can't wait till wayland fucks xorg in the future

why the FUCK is it called wayland? what a shitty fucking name, X sounds much cooler.

I compiled Gnome wayland on the newest freebsd but I haven't tried sway because I'm a brainlet and never tried tiling wm before.

based music + distro taste

wow. i'd forgotten all about that slore.

nvidia

Thanks, might try it soon

selecting a region is slurp's job

To be fair, a lot of i3/Sway users just use it as a glorified full-screen window switcher with a status bar. There are some minor issues like applications that do not communicate well that their dialogs are modal and subordinate to their main window, so they turn up tiling instead of floating as well.

grim -g (your range in pixels)
or if you want to select it at the time or pressing the scrrenshot button
grim -g $(slurp)

actually in sway that changes, you can stright up just swap two windows even if they arent in the same container
you move children in and out of cobtainers and between them
just press the mod key and wherever you drag the window it goes and it eve' has a quick preview
Im sure there is a keyboard way to do it, but i only installed this like 2 days ago and im not sure of the syntax

>Xwayland
>have to use alacritty
>not obvious to me i.r.t reducing mouse speed