Are tablets just a normalfag meme or is there any actual use for these...

are tablets just a normalfag meme or is there any actual use for these? they just seem like oversized "smart" phones and nothing else

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com6666666666666666.jpg (950x534, 72K)

manga, comics. ereaders are better for nonimage books

This, it's a glorified ebook reader with email and light surfing.

this. the problem with reading on a monitor is that you cant rotate them conviently. watching videos on them also sucks since you have to hold them and if you mount them, you might as well just hook something up to a tv/monitor or get a laptop

Attached: file.png (1001x792, 1.12M)

I use mine for watching yt and pirated series, better than small ass phone screen.

fuck. now i want a tablet arm.

Good for reading books. Pretty much the only reason I bought one.

Civil engineer here and I used it for daily computer work on construction site.

Using ipad daily to
>Reading diagram
>Taking note and do checklist on it
>Taking inspection photo
>Reading email
>Typing note on site
>BIM viewing

Con is ipad frequently overheat on hot day.

mipad 5 when?

>reading notes
>reading pdfs
>browsing Jow Forums
>watching youtube/netflix (seriously better than a fucking smartphone, aslo most cases include a kickstand)
>light ftp / ssl

The main advanage compared to a laptop is that the battery in a tablet last much longer when consuming media.

Just dont get one for productivity

Tablets will be better when they're portable aka foldable phones. When I can have a Galaxy note that folds out into a 9" tablet then it will become useful.

SNES + GENESIS emulator
Traveling/flights for movies
Backup for google authenticator codes

That's about it.

Boomer fb machine

Sounds condescending but it fits well with older people with below average eyesight that simply want a social media machine

>buy samsung origami for $1500
>noticable scratches on screen after a month
>broken screen after 2 years

>SNES + GENESIS emulator

I think you mean

manga and shitposting on the shitter

didnt even know this existed

They *are* just oversized phones (yes, especially ipads)
Most people implicitly understood this years ago when the meme died down. Now they are a device for the technologically impaired: Boomers and little children that are too young to have phones.

Windows tablets are slightly better because they can do stuff your phone can't, but they're still mostly inconvenient floppy laptops.

If you """need""" a device to read comics that much you fit into the child category.

i just want to watch youtube in bed user

phones are just to smoll

I basically use mine as a web-browser laptop/streaming device.

This. I use mine in the garage for reading up and taking notes. Much more convenient than a laptop but doesn't fit every use-case.

let me of my own volition purchase this device for computing which (a) i cannot see the contents of the source code of and (b) has the mechanisms and ability to automatically update itself. hmm yes this cant possibly go wrong for me, the gentle consumer

They are if you get a decent one not some fucking Samsung shit

>implying "smart" phones itselves is not a meme

true open source smartphone OS when?

What's a decent 7" tablet for cheap?
I literally want it just to read docs and PDFs.

Yoga laptops are just better in every aspects

I use it as glorified bed computer and for lightroom editing on the go.

guess that's why many medical schools and related schools ask or even require students to buy an ipad. Not just a tablet, an ipad.

Surface is a better laptop than the ipad could be with the attached keyboard, but stop pretending like there isn't a legit usecase for a tablet device for the sake of it being a tablet, not a shitty version of a laptop.

If you can't imagine use cases for a tablet with a pencil, then you are a brainlet.

Yes, they are normalfag devices.
>Hard to fuck up, but a chance at it because people download stupid ass shit on android devices.
>"Easy" to use.
>Portable (This reminds me years ago when the start of everyone wanting a fuckin laptop because they can take it anywhere but have no real use besides getting on the internet and using IM.)
>It's mostly a toy for them that can be easily replaced when fucked up or breaks.
>Stupid ass games that target kids and middle aged women. (Reminds me of all the flash games that kids use to play at school when I was in the 5th grade and go on.)
>Parents think their kids are good with tech because they know how to use a tablet. (Same in the past with computers, but kids fucked those up.)
>Most normalfag tablet/smartphone/laptop users think WiFi is internet.

in my city a lot of smaller businesses use them as POS and i kind of like that. otherwise yeah they are meme tier, i got an asus zenpad like almost four years ago and haven't used much recently. it was kind of useful for playing hearthstone and streaming it while out in public, but eh.

I tried to do this back in like 2012
But the tablet just falls over. Smol laptop is better for this.

>that's why many medical schools and related schools ask or even require students to buy an ipad. Not just a tablet, an ipad.
Sounds like an american thing. Schools also (used to?) force you to buy overpriced books that sucked and just scrambled the information every year. Doesn't mean it's good just that it was lobbied.

>If you can't imagine use cases for a tablet with a pencil
Of course I can. It seems neat to write notes on it. Problem is it's not. I've tried it, it sucks. Handwriting is plain inferior to typing. Now if the curriculum is digital instead of paper books then you don't really need to take notes the same way at all.

For art students tablets are needed but they also need windows. Stylus is legitimately useful though if the law says you need to sign stuff, and digital handwriting is fine but it doesn't have to be on paper AND you don't use cryptographic signing.

I got high quality tablets and a nice roku tv last year.
I can and do do anything I would have done on the pc with these 3 devices.
It gives me space and flexibility.
I mean, I even have Termux with OhMyZsh on it and neovim, Hacker's Keyboard for using both.

It's a new era.
This tablet has quadcore arm and 4gb ram, and without the window-focused bloat, it flies like a decent laptop.
Android is honestly good shit.

And I was gifted an rpi3b that sits under my tv and lets me play all my hoarded roms, or watch my torrented show hoard on kodi.

ARM seems to be misunderstood because you're trained to think in terms of General Computers, one device that tries to do everything. These arm devices are more like embedded stuff, it does a simple job really well, you can use them together to do more complex stuff.

It's just integration and network. The point of network is to do things remotely and modularly, a distributed system.

My phone, pi, tv and tablet create a distributed pc for me that gives me my house back. No more sitting at a fucking desk or in the same spot on the couch/bed like my life is a continuation of my fucking day job

Pardon the shilling but
Librem 5 is coming out this year in third quarter and you can preorder for 649
It has physical switches where you can turn off all connectivity if you wish apparently
And you can also hook it up to a bigger monitor, keyboard, and mouse and use it as a desktop PC since it runs PureOS and when I mean PC I don't mean like Android hooked up to keyboard and mouse i mean like actually feeling and looking like a desktop linux distro.

You can watch your anime without contracting burn marks from your ancient Thinkpad

With a keyboard it is cheaper and better than most cheap ass laptops.

I'd say an android or ios tablets are a normalfag meme for media consumption and nothing more, but windows tablets (especially 2in1 variants) took over the netbook niche, that is having maybe slow, and maybe a bit clunky, but fully functional "desktop" that you can take with you anywhere
especially if you go for a cheapo chink one, getting a few thousand dollars tablet if you could get a laptop at that price with a lot better specs and functionality is a bit retarded imo.

Attached: b0e98e44-3327-4764-8f52-87a1b0c503eb_1.43fe15ffb00b82158da6cdbd0f95090c[1].jpg (450x450, 32K)

OK, I'll give you an example.

I show up to school and we talk about the neurovascular structures of the arm and how they relate to disorders such as various RSI problems of the wrist, hand, elbow and shoulder. Problem is, we don't just talk about it, 90% of it involves diagrams.

What do you think is most productive to learn this? To type out lots of notes? Of course not. To begin with, you'd want to have the diagram open, right? What good is this on a laptop/desktop, are you going to move your mouse to each little nerve, create a text box of appropriate size, and label them? Hamfisted approach.

No. You want the diagram on your ipad so you can directly annotate and resize it as you please. No matter what anybody else says, it is not as smooth of an experience doing so on a surface. UI cannot serve two masters without compromising in one. I have a desktop at home for more intense things. An ipad is perfect for on the go things and if I want to tile 4 windows together for multitasking.

Just to get into this school, you have to have honed your study skills to perfection, passed personality/psychological testing, interviews, multiple LORs and had to have been top 5% of your class in undergrad. So it's not like the students buying these ipads are doing so out of a whim - they realized a need for them.

Ipads are the norm at medical/related schools. They may not replace the student's other computers, but the ipad acts as a useful tool.

Regardless, you violated your original argument where you claimed that ipads were for kids and boomers.

They are good to read on the go and whatnots but make sure to buy one you can install a real OS on it, my x86 tablet runs xfce4 on arch and runs pretty well, don't use KDE or gnome crap or else will run slow as fuck.

I have an Nvidia Shield tablet and I literally use it for two things:
a) As a movie player everytime I go to my mom's house since she lives in the middle of a forest in México and there's no internet connection available there (not even mobile network) and I can hook it up to a TV via HDMI.
b) As a SNES emulator with a $3 USB SNES controller I got on ebay.

I've read books on it but an e-reader is a way superior alternative and I sometimes do some light work on it (spread sheets and shit like that because I work in finances) but again, a laptop is a way better option.
I've had it for about 5 years now and I've tried to find better uses for it but so far I haven't found anything. It's basically a toy.

I agree with you but I still wanted to chime in to say you're a giant faggot