AMD is leaving Intel in the dust on die size, with no 7nm Intel chips until 2021

digitaltrends.com/computing/inel-delays-7nm-die-size-shrink-to-2021/

>Not only is Intel just reaching 10nm manufacturing as AMD rolls out 7nm chips, but the Ice Lake chips Intel showed off are not intended for desktops, but exclusively for mobile or versatile 2-in-1 devices.

What went wrong bros?

Attached: 1525362785884.png (552x661, 288K)

Other urls found in this thread:

semiaccurate.com/2019/06/05/a-look-at-intels-ice-lake-and-sunny-cove/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Mobile and 2-in-1s have much larger market share

See:

Based momma Su has a giant strapon and is ramming Intcel senseless every single day, the copelet lake crowd on Jow Forums are fucking hilarious

>Mobile and 2-in-1s have much larger market share

Or their yields are so fucking low, that they can't produce anything larger than mobile chips.

Cool, so where can I buy a laptop that uses this amazing 7nm technology you speak of?

likely the reason tbqh

intel should close its own fabs and use TSMC or globalfoundries already, their engineers clearly have no idea what they are doing

Or you're a coping AMD fanboy whose company sucks so much at profit forecasting they're always a generation or more behind in the mobile space.

How did they fuck up this hard? I thought this was all an industry stardard

Hes right though. Laptops and 2 in 1s sell 2 to one compared to all desktops and parts

not really. It's the higher ups that fucked up. The engineers actually wanted to backport some 10nm tech back to 14nm just in case.

and consoles sell more than them. guess who supplies chips to consoles

Are you retarded? Over 160 million laptops shipped in 2018 ALONE. That's about on par with ps4 and xbox 1 family LIFETIMES. Businesses are the primary consumers of laptops, they have no need for baby machines like consoles. And AMD said their for the ps4 was 15%. Their average gross margin for 2018 was like 40%, consoles grossly underperform. Intel's gross margin was like 50-60%

TSMC only very recently dethroned Intel from everything Qualcomm and Apple threw at them. GlobalFoundries has miniscule volume, no working 10nm or 7nm node, and only has 14nm thanks to Samsung.

I enjoy drinking their desperate tears quite a lot

>My oc'ed to 4.6 6700k is quieter and cooler under load than idling Ryzen 3000
Kek nice try marketer.

Even bulldozer beats that garbage after security patches.

Have you gotten used to the fan noise by now?

I'm surprised you're capable of making posts while installing 1771 security patches

> COPING
< COPING
> COPING
< COPING

Attached: 1550814060882.png (585x527, 271K)

Otis

>Intel’s woes don’t end with AMD’s lead on die size, either. If Microsoft goes forward with its rumored switch to Qualcomm, Intel will suddenly lose out on a massive opportunity to supply the highest-selling device in the tablet product category.
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING INTELBROS QUICK SHITPOST HARDER

Attached: 1492855909643.png (1228x1502, 944K)

>This admission of Intel’s shortcomings makes for a welcome sign for AMD, validating their aggressive strategy of die shrinks and price undercutting. Beyond AMD’s flashy Computex 2019 launch for its 7nm Ryzen 3000 CPUs, the manufacturer also has a threadripper waiting in the wings that Intel has no plans of contending with
IT'S NOT FAIR BROS SPREAD MORE RYZEN FUD WE MUST SAVE OUR DEAR COMPANY

Attached: 1506977173618.jpg (882x758, 324K)

>Intel's latest 15W part decimates a 3900X
>usb-c thunderbolt ubiquitous
>pci-e enclosures that support dedicated GPU

lmfao Intel knows there won't be a fucking desktop market.

>Not only is Intel just reaching 10nm manufacturing as AMD rolls out 7nm chips
That's an intentionally misleading sentence since 10nm and 7nm are essentially the same specification and actual physical sizes wise. Yes AMD beat them to it but it implies intel is much more behind than it actually is because number "7" is smaller than "10".

Basically a
>SMALLER NUMBER GOOD
NPC meme applies here

It's not as big of a problem since '7nm' from tsmc and '10nm' from intel are only nominal sizes.

Attached: 21824-slide4.jpg (1256x707, 88K)

For those who can't be bothered to do research.
Intel 10nm=TSMC 7nm with Intel having better clocks.
Intel 7nm=TSMC 5nm
These NM numbers are just marketing shit.

Intel's 10nm is currently in full rate production.
But we won't get any 10nm desktop parts for a long time. Intel is going hard on mobile and OEM chips because that's where the cash is.

what

AMD can't into Laptops.

I smell much cope

Stop with the cope, kid. Its really unbecoming.
Intel isn't producing large die high clocking parts on 10nm because they still can't. Tiny die parts with low clocks is all they can fab without losing money per candidate. Thats why they release mobile chips and low TDP locked SKUs first.

>2021
by 2021 it'll be late 2022

7nm Intel in 2021 seems optimistic. More likely it will be 10nm+.

>laptop

Ice lake for laptops will be very limited like cannonlake was, in reality the vast majority of laptops will have 10th gen comet lake cpus on 14nm

>amd on latest cutting edge tech with an extra two scoops of cores and threads
>intel on outdated 2015 shit
>intel still wins in gayming benchmarks

RYZEN SHINE, INTCELS. RYZEN SHINE.

>>intel still wins in gayming benchmarks
I'm interested in how well will it preform in gen 9 games. It's a second gen where consoles utilize amd cpus. More and more engines focus on using all of the CPU cores.
It will be really fun to watch intcels seethe.

Does it not get too hot in your house in the summer with your Ryzen? Or are you posting from your phone?

I'm Russian. We have as −273°C whole year here. I'm fine

Attached: Copelet lake.jpg (780x405, 136K)

Intel's 10nm process is almost the same size as TSMC's 7nm process, though.

Also, if Lakefield turns out to be a good long term investment, then it will be literally impossible for AMD to compete in a few years.

>Cope
Is that the only argument you can make?
Try using facts for once.
But then again you fags thought Zen 2 was gonna be 5.0ghz cuz fine wine 7nm.

How old is this though?
I think I saw the same pic at least a year ago and intel really changed their 10nm to try and increase yields in the last couple of years

>ice flake
>sunny cope
lmao.

semiaccurate.com/2019/06/05/a-look-at-intels-ice-lake-and-sunny-cove/

Its based off of publicly disclosed figures. Intel hasn't actually admitted to changing BEOL pitches on their 10nm process. They never admitted to doing it with their 14nm process either, even though we have definitive proof of it.

Is there any to to date info on intel 10nm?
I've seen the same numbers floating around for some time but I think they toned down their expectations in order to actually produce dies

>Is there any to to date info on intel 10nm?
No. They're never going to say a word about it on the technical side. The only info out there is what they published in a slide deck to present to investors and tech media, and that was back in like 2015 when Krzanich was claiming everything was on track.
There was a marked decreased in xtor density from original Broadwell to Skylake parts. The process had CPP and MMP pitches loosened up to decrease total density. Intel never disclosed this, but people knew something was up, and a few places like Chipworks dissected chips and compared them which confirmed it.
It'll be the same case with 10nm from intel. Their marketing slides never line up with what they actually deliver.

>t. Intelcuck

Alright so I'll just disregard any claims about intel 10nm being the same as TSMC's 7nm

THE COPE RISES

On what, fucking Geekbench?

now this is real cope

shitty cope*

being this jewish should be illegal

No, 10nm and 7nm are on par.
& Jim Keller said himself that the current 10nm will have no clock regression over 14nm++.
The big difference is 7nm is currently working.
10nm is currently making low end 2 core chips for laptops and OEMs.
Mainly due to low yields and desktop is a small piece of the pie.

>being intentionally retarded
>lying on the internet
Why would anyone do this?

Supposedly Intel's new laptop parts will be able to compete with Ryzen 3000 and Coffee Lake in singe threaded loads, according to a leaked screenshot of benchmark results that didn't identify any of the details about system specs or anything really except the scores and clock speeds. Except, this benchmark puts the new part at a 40% IPC advantage over Coffee Lake, which is way higher than Intel is estimating, so this is either an application that heavily favors the new architecture or a fabrication. Either way, it will absolutely not compete with a 3900X in anything that can utilize more than 3-4 threads.

Don't you have paint thinner you should be huffing or something?

This is bullshit. Even with the original numbers Intel's 10nm was going to be slightly less dense than TSMC 7nm, and we know they had to make some changes to the process to get it working so it's probably closer to an actual 10nm process from any other vendor. Not to mention, Intel isn't going to be producing anything but low power laptop parts until 2021 at least, by which point TSMC will have already moved to 5nm so Intel would still be behind. No matter how you try to spin it, Intel has lost their process lead.

Ryzen 3xxx puts off less heat than current gen Intel parts.

>he doesn't understand the difference between heat and temperature

Jim Keller did say their new shit was gonna do a lot more at once with better efficiency.
We don't know exactly what he meant, but he wouldn't state any IPC numbers.
You are probably right about the new chips just being optimised for laptops ex ex.

2021 is 7nm EUV not 5nm.
And considering how disappointing 7nm is, I wouldn't get your hopes up.
It's 20% more power efficient and that's it.
It carries huge clock regression over past TSMC nodes.

>I have no idea what I'm talking about
7nm EUV is in volume production right now, kid. AMD's 7nm+(EUV) Zen3 platforms launch in 2020, not 2021.
TSMC's 5nm node brings clock uplift over 7nm EUV, not a regression, you dumb lying nigger child. Test chips already exceeded early projections on clocks and power. They're not touting 30% improved power and 20% perf uplift.
Don't come here and talk out of your ass.

Attached: 1541702343913.jpg (679x263, 88K)

and fyi 5nm EUV is in risk production right this second

>7nm
>barely matches intel's 14nm performance
Why is AMD so lame?

>Imagine 7nm still getting ass rammed by 14nm core for core

Attached: Stock.png (1382x2535, 126K)

this is how intcels cope lmao

Every single store has Ryzen laptops.

yeah at fraction of the cost and power draw 7nm is not just about speed

>imagine needing 8 more threads to almost match it

lel

AMD = Another Massive Disappointment

Please don't forget to post tomorrow also about how AMD is going to beat Intel, ok? Maybe AMD will deposit that promised ₹10 to your account.

>gayming

Attached: 1562301462849.jpg (520x397, 33K)

>not understanding what process node is or does
Its cute that you try, little kid.

Drones always have to have something to prove, I wonder why that is?

I've reported this post to the ADL and AIPAC as anti-Semitic hate speech.

>Single core cpu metrics don't matter!

Remember to turn your SMT off nerd.

Attached: silxdjhfgsdkuihfgskduihfgb.jpg (1920x1080, 413K)

literally in the article it says "in certain benchmarks", aka single core with avx-512

I know exactly what it does, To bad TSMC and AMD wasn't up to the task of making a faster chip even with a 40% shrink. But hey, You still have your 12 core glacier melter.

>4.7ghz

>I totally know what it does and I'm not bluffing at all
Sure you do, kid. Thats why you brought up gaming benchmarks instead of power metrics which process actually contributes to. Poor form, kid. Poor form.

that's cool, just don't forget to report yourself to the showers

Yeeeah...I don't care anything about power metrics, Only per core performance which still lacks. So you can take your form and shove it strait up your ass there britbong.

>talking about process node
>dumb sperg shows up and conflates it with architecture
>he legitimately can't tell the difference
lmao you really are just helpless to your own stupidity

AMDrone here. Intel is too big to fail. Expect an absurdly good successor to Core to come out of nowhere at some more or less distant point in the future. It'll still be backdoored, more vulnerable and overpriced though.

>Drones always having to have something to prove.

Having doubts on that "process node" you been shilling for? You have to come to a weeb site to justify your discontent?

Attached: 1551867439199.png (396x408, 165K)

>act like a giant retard
>actually are just a giant retard
>pretend like you're not retarded when someone points out how retarded you are
Keep it up, user. You're doing great things here.

So AMD is for tech literate then
Damn that's why AMD can never compete

This has to be the funniest cope in the thread

>their engineers clearly have no idea what they are doing
What a brainlet

Intel's fabs lost to TSMC because Intel's fabs make Intel stuff while TSMC makes stuff for Qualcomm, Apple, Huawei and every mobile phone maker; companies like Nvidia and AMD are just low-tier in the totem pole

TSMC and Samsung's factories are being pumped by the billions of dollars from mobile phones allowing them to leapfrog a mainly PC semiconductor company like Intel

Their engineers aren't clueless, Intel execs failed to see that mobile shekels jumpstart process nodes and fablet companies like AMD are reaping the benefits

Enjoying your 50c idle temps?

The real cash comes from the enterprise market, servers and HPC. Unfortunately for Intel, AMD can and probably already makes Rome chips. The only thing that could save Intel right now is the industry's slow adoption rate. If they don't pump out 10nm 40-60 core Xeons by the time big corporations have to replace current servers in LCM, which usually lasts for 3 years, they're fucked.

I'd pay attention to Jim Keller's work and if Intel starts growing confident after they lose market share, it will probably be a good time to invest some money in stocks, just like AMD when Zen rumours started surfacing.

It's not just this. Intel's process have to scale for different TDPs and transistor counts, since the smallest CPU they make are usually 10-20W TDP and the biggest are those 300w monolithic monstrosities. By contrast, ARM mobile chips are rarely optimized for >10w TDP. This is where AMDs genius "glue" with ryzen lies. Since they use smaller chiplets, they can easily adapt to whatever optimisations new fabrication processes have.

Mobile optimized process -> lower optimal voltage, scale from low TDP laptops to high TDP servers by increasing number of chiplets
High perf optimized process -> higher optimal voltage, scale from mobile to server by TDP config

Attached: 1563149086354.jpg (1200x1077, 238K)

7nm itanium when?

Intel 7nm superpower 2077

If by decimates you mean the literal definition, sure, it maybe gets 10% the way towards destroying it.

For me, it's Intel's 22nm.

if 7nm is so good how come intel is better at 14

This
quality of the chips is superior to size of the die