Desktop Thread

No edition. Just post your shit or whatever.

Attached: 2019-07-22-145632_3120x1600_scrot.png (3120x1600, 1.77M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/pascaldevink/spaceship-zsh-theme
terminal.sexy/
ix.io/1Pcy
drasite.com/flat-remix-gnome
youtu.be/UYwljDNBgeY?t=861
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 2019-07-22-212830_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.97M)

generic post coming through

Attached: rice.png (1365x767, 607K)

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 1.52.01 PM.png (1600x1200, 821K)

1600x1200 resolution of the Elder Gods

what panel is that?
also, what's that process monitor?

Sorry for deleting my post. Got Jow Forums X and Oneechan working in Falkon. Now everything is a nice Zenburn theme.

Attached: Screenshot_20190722_135530.png (3640x1920, 2.74M)

bar is plain old Polybar
system monitor is Gotop

the other terminals are running cmatrix and pipes.sh if you're wondering

I wasn't, those are well-known applications.

thank you though, nice setup.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-22_23-07-07.png (2560x1440, 2.69M)

I like it senpai.

Attached: 4.jpg (3840x2160, 1M)

Could you share your polybar dotfiles, OP?

Attached: 1540477717298.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

Makes me want to use i3 or some other window manager again..

Attached: 2019-07-22-22-18-32.png (2560x1440, 2.29M)

It's really just the example config with some modules removed and Font Awesome icons. I didn't even clean the config up (as in mpd is still sitting there in the middle of the bar unconfigured and such)

pastebin.com/w4CwLMhi

Is Solus worth it? I liked the Budgie DE, but didn't have the courage to install it.

Ubuntu Budgie is more polished than Solus. Budgie is pretty much dead now that Ikey has left, they keep planning essential features for "Budgie 11" which may or may not ever happen because it's in the hands of maintainers now.

It's pretty good. Everything I need is in the repositories and just works most of the time.

lmao hlwm best wm you straight virgins, btw this is 100% tiling.

Attached: epichackerrice.png (1920x1080, 1.66M)

This took some time. And I'm still not entirely satisfied.

Attached: desktop.png (1919x1080, 662K)

Had the opposite experience. Like 10% of the programs I usually install on a fresh GNU/Linux install weren't in the repositories. I made a package request for them to be told that since they hadn't had a release for a while (because they're stable software that don't need updates) so they'd be "dead on arrival" according to their package rules. Fuck Solus.

you should know

Fair enough.

What should I know? That thread is archived.

Gotta love some of that zsh

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06.jpg (2560x1080, 833K)

What do you like about zsh? I've never used anything besides bash.

Jesus get 4chanX already

Consider NixOS for bigass repos and a pretty easy budgie setup as in NixOS DEs/WMs are literally just a config option, not stupid shit like AUR pkgbuilds either, real packages. However I'd definitely try it in a VM first, as it's really weird. Basically the entire system is controlled via a single config file although it can be modularized, the "NixOS" way of configurating programs even involves writing their configs in that main NixOS conf. Repos are hella good though (but nonfree needs to be enabled if you want it).

There's some beautiful themes available with oh my zsh (inb4 basedboy face). I like the Agnoster theme, it really fits in with the rest of powerline that I use for vim, and makes running commands on my remote server very beautiful while not bothering to show the host on my desktop.

It'll be the default in macOS from Catalina so thought I'd set it and see what's different and what's out there in terms of addons. Stuff like autocompletion is baked in and good, seems to be better for remoting, oh-my-zsh as a framework is okay-good, and I can transfer all my functions and aliases over easily enough.
So tl;dr it's the future and bash is the past

Thanks, guys. I'll try it out someday.

not the one who posted that but personally I think it's really great because of the extensions and vanilla just generally handles better than bash in a lot of areas like autocomplete. I've got a lot of extensions, one is this thing called z which automatically guesses what directory you want when given a dir name and just jumps to it, no path needed. I have it paired with fz which basically gives it fuzzy search tab completion, it's fucking godly for deep dirs. I also have a thing that shows modes with vi binds to the right of prompt and lets it put and yank to and from the X clipboard. It's honestly amazing.

Been very happy with Spaceship ( github.com/pascaldevink/spaceship-zsh-theme ) but Agnoster is really nice, I get why it would suit that setup.

I DID IT! Yall weren't joking about those compile times

Attached: 1563828452.png (1280x800, 221K)

Yeah but it's slow as hell desu. simple prompt best prompt

Attached: prompt.png (144x54, 2K)

Kinda like your colorscheme what is it?

nbd if your machine is fast enough

Well yeah it's not like SLOW but I get really compulsive if I can't watch my prompt speed down the terminal at vanilla zsh rate by holding ^C, it's stupid I know but it bothers me and if I really needed git status that often I'd likely make a quick script that outputs it or even just bind git status to something in zsh.
tl;dr yeah it's really not that big of a deal but I'm autistic about making it as fast as humanely possible

terminal.sexy/

go to Scheme Browser/collection/navy-and-ivory

Ah okay nice. might consider porting that to base16 with a few modifcations, it's pretty.

Ikr I went through so many schemes and this one is almost perfect, although you'll wanna lighten the dark purple and darken the backgroud, as you can see comments are almost invisible

Attached: 1563829817.png (1280x800, 90K)

yeah my modifications are generally to make the hue go from red to blue in proper order (red > orange > yellow > green > blue) and play with saturation.

>manual tiling
>confusing tiling for my low tier brain
I really wanted to like herbslutwm but i couldn't, what's the bottom bar and the fetch btw?

the fetch is a little custom script I made, want it? The bottom bar is lemonbar, you want that as well? Be warned, a lot of the stuff it does is integrated with other scripts I have in place to make it event based so it could need a good bit of adaptation.

Did you understand the idea of frames? Because if you don't hlwm makes no sense and if you do it's really pretty simple. Basically frames let you split your screen in half vertically or horizontally and once you do each of those halves functions a lot like its own little contained workspace, which can be resized. Splitting within a frame of course, just splits that frame.

background is too blurry for terminal blur to be nice

moar Xfce I see. This one is ok, I don't like desktop icons though, nor scroll bars on terminal windows.

nice resolution. what are you using for your progressbar_look in ncmpcpp? I also like the colours

too homosexual for me, but i like the fat blurry fonts. pretty ugly window decorations, worse than stock macOS

This is me, so I'll refrain from rating. (Pls rate)

Looks like you need compton, or if you already run it to add some shadows. just my taste. also compton can give you some nice terminal blur if you're into it.

nice terminal windows, if you're not going to get blur might as well make them opaque. pretty standard cinnamon, did you install it from an ubuntu netinstall? or did you install vanilla Ubuntu and then add cinnamon?

nice bold fonts for terminal, dunno why you'd use Solus for GNOME though. Even Solus for Budgie is not the best distro. But that's just my opinion.

very good fonts, look almost macOS-like, i also like the seperate panel elements. colors are a little busy, but i'm not supposed to give my opinion

is this nighttime with redshift enabled? feels pretty gross imho, but if you like the colors go for it.

pretty ok homosex rice I guess

Patrician resolution and Gentoo. colours look like a comic book, but for me that's not a good thing.

appears to be the same thing, you need to rice ncmpcpp a little bit.

yeah lmao I'm aware, I usually bump saturation on most of the base16 schemes I use.

>worse than stock macOS
That is stock macOS.

>is this nighttime with redshift enabled? feels pretty gross imho, but if you like the colors go for it.
Just tried something new. I went for a more nuanced colorscheme before but wanted to test something in the red-ish area. I think I'm going to change it soon, this is not good for late night programming lol

yeah but it's like really monochrome, like your syntax highlighting is barely distinct lmao.

OP here. I got no terminal blur. It's all just the background. Too much detail in my wallpapers gives me severe headache because my vision is impaired. I get ike 70% on my left eye and 85% on my right eye with glasses on. I mean, this is really only necessary when using a floating WM that shows a portion of the wallpaper all the time, but I've grown used to it and I like the aesthetic.

great colors. cool blur.
nice colors + bar.
classic.
>hlwm
its my favorite too. why dont use just use floating?
great colors.
cool prompt.
its great when u get used to the manual frames.

Attached: grab.webm (1280x800, 935K)

>Did you understand the idea of frames? Because if you don't hlwm makes no sense and if you do it's really pretty simple. Basically frames let you split your screen in half vertically or horizontally and once you do each of those halves functions a lot like its own little contained workspace, which can be resized. Splitting within a frame of course, just splits that frame.

i understood that, but seems a bit too manual if you know what i mean, so do people like define layouts from the config file and use them or do you have to manually set these frames?
also i want this comfy fetch script pls

Ok that's fucking based, looks like i didn't quite understand how this wm works, i use bspwm atm and i wanted to change to openbox because floating but this shit is too fucking nice

looks super awesome. I'm really sad I can never have this
I've used tiling on my X200s and several other X series laptops but in the end the lack of screen real estate made me literally nauseous. I can only use floating on something with such a low resolution and I have no idea why. I mean, shouldn't tiling be ideal for these devices?

what is that smaller screenfetch? uf?

>i understood that, but seems a bit too manual if you know what i mean, so do people like define layouts from the config file and use them or do you have to manually set these frames?
im but i like how manual it is. i can control where exactly thing spawn and their size. its not for everyone tho. i have a few layouts in my config but i also manually set layouts.
ive heard good things about bspwn and openbox is great. in the webm im tiling using frames in herbstluftwm. then i open a terminal in the same frame as my browser and make that terminal float while the others are still tiling. the borders that flash around the terminals after i close neofetch are the frame borders. then i resized the frames using my mouse, which u can also do with the keybinds.
>I can only use floating on something with such a low resolution
ive heard this before. it doesnt bother me, but everyone is different.
ufetch. search for its github.

>icons on desktop
>steam
horrible

cringe

all trash
ones i didn't quote are good.

Just a basic top

Attached: 2019-07-22-165839_6400x1440_scrot.png (6400x1440, 651K)

Neon looks pretty nice, haven't seen it in a while, but it's hard to rate when I don't know the defaults
You, sir, are a desktop artist

>You, sir, are a desktop artist
thank u.

I think he meant desktop autist man

with floating windows you use most of the real estate for the focused window, but tiling wms split windows evenly and that can be frustrating when half of small is too small

M$ shills still SEETHING

Attached: msfags_btfo.png (1600x900, 899K)

no lmao you don't define layouts from the config, horizontal and vertical frame splitting is done via a keybind, and there's a key to merge those frames together too.
ix.io/1Pcy
^ there's the fetch, it's kinda shit and a lot of stuff in it isn't terribly reliable, sorry about that.

looks like he might be using the herbstluftwm scratchpad script, as someone who uses it themselves (you can't float individual windows in herb). Basically it can be triggered via keybind and toggles an entire workspace that kinda floats above the current one, it can be brought back up in any other workspace it's really cool.

It can look pretty much however you want it to look like(as far as KDE goes). Like this guy making it look like Windows.

I'm playing around with this translucent look, I like it but I don't know if it will look nice with light terminals at night. Never used light termianls before, but it looks nice.

Attached: Screenshot_20190722_162004.png (3640x1920, 2.74M)

Attached: file.png (1920x1080, 1.45M)

Attached: screenFetch-2019-07-22_17-35-24.png (1366x768, 164K)

Attached: Screenshot_54.jpg (1920x1080, 1.79M)

day 1040 in the desktop thread
all the rice i plant dies
not enough water? prob not enough water

Attached: (Hi10)_Hibike!_Euphonium_-_12_(BD_720p)_(Kantai-FFF)-[05.54.062-05.55.104]-no-audio.webm (854x480, 275K)

elin butt ommnng not toe mention striped thigh highs is this the best desktop or what

Attached: 2018-10-06-215015_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.88M)

>Average Windows user
there's no defense

find Jesus

bro jesus was attracted to 15 yo it says so in the bible

A lazy screenshot for a lazy day.
I literally haven't changed anything in months.

Attached: 2019-07-22-190330_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 264K)

There's nothing wrong with liking Windows.

Attached: Screenshot (14)_4MB.jpg (3840x2160, 550K)

Attached: wrongkiddo.png (594x507, 102K)

is this the new desktop thread

Attached: Bowsette is a qt.png (1920x1080, 1.62M)

Distro hopping is a mental illness

I'm already mentally ill (schizoaffective disorder, basically a minor case of schizophrenia with a mood disorder with rare ups but usally just major depression). I'm done distro hopping though.

what's the name of the shell extension that makes the top bar look so nice?

OP here. Thought I'd show you my X61s setup too.

Attached: 2019-07-23-014438_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 525K)

Not really. Distro Hopping is sort of your Linux-puberty. It just takes time to get somewhat settled for most people. You'll switch less and less over time until you find that one pussy to surpass all pussies. Then you're gonna stick with it.

That's a theme. drasite.com/flat-remix-gnome

Nice terminal font, what is it?

Honestly? Just the one XTerm comes with out of the box, whatever it's called. I got no idea how to set this up, but it looked fairly consistent with the desktop as is, so I stuck with it.

I was just fucking with you user.
Default actually looks decent there, though.

kinda repost from my earlier but afterwards I was talking with some people and they gave me a wallpaper that I decided to make a scheme to compliment so I'm reposting with that.

Attached: 2.png (1920x1080, 795K)

Pretty unspectacular, can't be bothered to actually do something nice with my desktop.

Attached: Screenshot_20190723_021941.png (1920x1080, 886K)

sing me to sleep
and then leave me alone

Attached: 2019-07-23-033233_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 1.18M)

I am an inept retard when it comes to fonts desu.

Both of your desktops are really nice, great colorschemes
Also,
>Le Perv
>New Wave Hookers
Good taste

Sure is but hey, why fix what ain't broke I suppose

But user, I can't sing

Attached: youmutop.png (1920x1080, 1.17M)

It's actually just the Hotline Miami I & II OSTs but both are good regardless of that.

6x13

youtu.be/UYwljDNBgeY?t=861

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 7.18.34 PM.png (1440x900, 1.27M)

>say 3 times what song is playing

you guys wanna see my blog lol

I really like this. What theme is that?

Attached: 2019-07-22-212334_3840x2160_scrot.jpg (3840x2160, 3.56M)

you can save and keybind layouts in the config if u use the output of the herbstclient dump function. im using a scratchpad and single float script. what do u mean by:
>and there's a key to merge those frames together too.

Attached: grab.webm (1280x800, 1.71M)

mod o/u horizontal/vertical splits the frames, mod r merges those frames back together into one.