Where the fuck are you guys getting jobs where you don't do shit? I'm stressed out by my fucking weekly deadlines...

Where the fuck are you guys getting jobs where you don't do shit? I'm stressed out by my fucking weekly deadlines. Joining a start up was a mistake.

Attached: 1080p.mkv_snapshot_19.50_2019.07.20_13.52.35.jpg (1920x1080, 661K)

Do nothing jobs are disappearing. Everybody is getting squeezed.

>suddenly Affirmative Pro-Action Koding Ninja Solutions Mastermind was not such a great job

What's the name of this cartoon?

work at a defense contractor
work life balance is mandated by the DoD

Usually the jobs that pay semi less than average or right on average. Then you just do what I've done in every other job to get into a comfy position
Step 1: Don't try to take on too much that you can't handle
Step 2: fix anything you don't like ASAP via scripting or upgrading the solution
Step 3: Don't do anything hugely stupid that could get you fired or blow up in your face
Step 4: continue working that job, plan out everything moving forward with a little effort

Syphogear AXZ

Attached: 1563049722818.jpg (3840x2160, 835K)

By no means are they vanishing in the US, they only vanish when you fail to show the business the work you do.

I've had friends working with IT jobs doing a good chunk of work but basically never relayed anything or showed others that they were doing said work. When shit hit the fan as it always does, they assumed these were due to him slacking off and didn't understand shit. I document all my work, set up a small ticket system to log hours, and have automated reports and shit send off about stuff. Suddenly everyone at work thinks I do about 4x the tasks I do.

No wonder every military project outsourced to civilians overshoot their original budget and get delayed ad infinitum.

Dunno what he is talking about DoD requirements are stupidly overlooked most the time. Usually you do sit on your ass because of all the SoP's and red tape in the way.

I know people who work overseas re-imaging PC's all year for 90k tax free and cost of living funds. Though that's all they do and are allowed to do. Fuck I'm going to work in Japan doing that for a few years because the pay is good and why the fuck not.

Be the CEO.

Corporate contractor in QA, it is a mix of doing a lot of shit one moment and finding shit to do the next, but it depends on the client you get assigned to.
In your free time you just learn new tools.
If you just laze around and do nothing in your free time to remain in demand you'd eventually loose your job.

Corporate IT, pretty much any department that's not client facing.

Don't waste all of the free time though unless you don't like raises - study new shit and use company money to pay for certs

Programmer for a big company. We work in 2-week sprints and me and my team mostly get to decide what we do in each, therefore the workload isn't ever harsh. Deadlines don't really exist, which isn't to say you should take forever with everything, but if there's a legitimate reason something cannot be completed on time according to an initial estimate there won't be trouble over that.

>start up was a mistake
i was in your place user.
go to IT/sysadmin leave the development stuff for the low IQ pajeets

You literally join a start up for insane amounts of pay and to be worked like a dog either hoping to be bought up or change after 6-12 months.

Only a fool thinks startup long term is an option

Seconded. Fell for the start up meme for 3 years and got sick of learning 8 different languages for each job only to get fired out of the blue because suddenly there was 5% less money that quarter than expected. Now I'm blowing peoples minds by googling a problem for five minutes and implementing a fix instead of playing ticket tennis with the pajeet QA team for 4 months before looking at a bug.

Grow the fuck up. People everywhere would die for a good working job with a good pay. Take off your panties and work

>Startup
I worked my ass off at the startup I worked for and never got anything other than more work. Now I work for a massive conglomerate where I'm drone number 5891 and no one gives a shit what I do as long as I look like I'm working and show up to the meetings.

>Where in the name of heaven are you guys getting jobs where you don't do much work?
You mean senior management? You do not apply to such a job, you get promoted to it. That means starting low, making the right connections, and doing enough work to earn your senior management role a.k.a do-nothing-but-get-paid-big-bucks-job. Take note that earning such a promotion in a large established company is difficult, and it is easier to found a company or join it when it is in the infancy stages.

>go into work
>work 8 hours
>go out feeling fulfilled
doing nothing all day was the absolute fucking worst. Nothing feels like a bigger waste of time and demotivating then knowing that nothing you do matters.

I'm in a startup and I do the bare minimum unless otherwise needed.

just because you got a lot done doesn't mean that any of the stuff you worked hard doing matters.

>Take off your panties
how'd you know?

Die

>Take off your panties and work
Is this an excerpt out of the prostitute's manual, or what?

>that shit anime
cringe

rude

I work my projects from beginning to end, so I know what work is used where. A lot of my day is pointless wheel turning, but I know the reason behind it all and that its not wasted time.

So its nice. My last job I would go in every day miserable, knowing full well what I was making was useless and going to be trashed the moment I left. And I hated every living second of it. Sure I could fuck around all day if I wanted, but it was miserable.

>doesn't mean that any of the stuff you worked hard doing matters

Nothing you do matters, but it is nice to feel like it matters.

>he fell for the stem is easy pay meme
We work hard or more hard to make the normies life easier every day and clean up after them.

We do it because it enables our hobbies and interests.
Otherwise I'd be in the trades and make more money and stay fit.

>trades
>LITERALLY cleaning up shit
yeah... glad i'm not doing that

>>Otherwise I'd be in the trades and make more money and stay fit.
one of the big reasons people crowd into tech is because it's a desk job with no heavy lifting. When it's a 98-degree July afternoon and you're sitting in an air-conditioned office instead of nailing shingles to a roof out in the sun, all the bullshit of tech seems very much worth it.

I work non client facing and couldn't ask for a better job right now. Usually do the servers, Blades/Storage/Hypervisors, and oversea projects and usually complete some heavy ones.

It's piss easy some weeks I just do nothing because I am waiting on approvals or my job is hurry up and wait for updates to finish.

I could make more if I changed jobs and focus, but meh it's worth the little less for far less stress

Government

Attached: 1556508251895.png (400x333, 91K)

>go into work
>work maybe 45 minutes
>stare at my desk and waste 7:15 hours
>go out feeling discontent and thinking about bullshit office politics

Never thought a job that pays so much where I do so little would leave me so emotionally void and upset

The best trades are machinists and electrician.

Mid to large tech companies where you are overqualified or there's so much bureaucracy it's hard to figure out what anyone is doing.

Honestly, I'd leave if I were you.

Finding a job where you're actually happy really does make a big different. I'm still depressed and shit periodically, but I'm nowhere near as miserable as I used to be.
I think the depressed thing is just because I'm fucked in the head though

Attached: edgy_hibiki_glare.png (446x384, 232K)

This plus technicians and certified mechanics make over $30-50 a hr not counting parts.

All work indoors.

I'm tired of do-nothing jobs and I actually want to work at my local government to make my city a better place. The relevant departments have reached out to me in the past offering me a senior position, but I'm finishing up some projects this year. I live near relevant offices and my commute would be a five minute walk, so I wouldn't even mind putting some extra time in to get more shit done.

Anons who've worked in government before, do you think such a thing is even possible?

Attached: Giorgio-Tsoukalos-is-such-a-thing-even-possible-e1350602695903[1].jpg (550x384, 44K)

im a new grad working at a shitty pajeet company where i literally get paid to sit around and do nothing because they dont have projects to place me on

>all according to plan

Attached: bogg.jpg (500x387, 51K)

>I'm tired of do-nothing jobs and I actually want to work at my local government to make my city a better place.
>The relevant departments have reached out to me in the past offering me a senior position

Based.
Direct the IT drones to use FOSS alternatives.
FreeNAS or Nextcloud for their files, Libreoffice for general tasks, GNUmeric for spreadsheets.

Get them off ADOBE .pdf implementations.
Get them into a VPS hosted email service with local caching.
Use OPNSense on a itx for a firewall, setup freeIPA isntead of active directory, use asterisk or one of the VOIP setups.

The overhauls are a pain in the ass but once it's switched over the maintainance is much much lower and you will have way more flexibility down the road.

Yeah, do it
The only reason I'm kind of in a "do nothing" job is because we're part of an overfunded technology grant and have very little direct oversight so we can go a week or two without really anything to do. I just take online classes and stuff in that time though. It's actually an amazing job when there's work to do, I'm given a lot of freedom and can even work from home occasionally. I don't know how typical this is though.
I do know that I recently met a lady who was a very seasoned government IT worker and she was still super enthusiastic, wanting to try out new technologies, and all about actually improving the city.

I work for a giant entertainment company

pretty cozy in the big data department with corporate culture

people here have families and lives outside of work so 9-5 is expected and anything more is not

That's XV

Yeah to be honest I have no idea what their internal software situation is like, but the department I'm interested in has been publicly struggling quite a bit in the past 5 years, and I'd like to improve it.

Glad to know it's possible to be productive even with government bureaucracy. I'd rather be obsessive than lazy at work, I've done both and obsessive is more satisfying.

Yeah funny how most companies want to see you providing value for them. You could be doing nothing but people think you are and get a raise or the opposite of doing a lot but get fired.
A little networking and showing you do shit goes a long way, further than being a autist genius who no one understands

I truly don't do shit wagies.

Attached: r078troi0ud11.jpg (600x333, 43K)

Pretty much showing some metric of your value to the company is a good way to avoid the chopping block most times. It's stupid easy to
>ticket comes in
15 minute increments no less
>project
measure in hours
>documentation
30 minute increments

Congrats if you only work 10 hours of actual work per week you just now have a method of making you hit 40 in no time. Tons of shit can just be stuff you let run and check later like windows updates, or checking backups once a week. I do backup testing once a month, always put it down as 4ish hours of work. Realistically it takes me about 20 minutes to restore a test machine and verify it

I got a good paying job ow, the best salary i ever had but fuck me it has a lot of fucking work. Just a few weeks ago i had to work 2 weeks back to back to be able to finish a project and i was lucky enough to have a few third party delays that helped me by pushing the deadline forward a bit.

One guy that works with me pushes me to the limit almost everyday and he is stressed as fuck, i've been having anxiety attacks every now and then and haven't been able to sleep all that well. He always talks shit to me but what he says is not entirely untrue since i dont have a lot of experience in the field and every time he asks me something that i dont know the answer he shits on me.

It is the best paying job i ever had but my health and sanity are slowly going to shit. The worst of all is that i feel incompetent as fuck, just today i spent the entire fucking trying to set up a local nginx config on windows to run a few vue apps i have but i want able to make that shit work for the life of me, i even had to ask a question at stack overflow without an answer yet. I ebt i'll spent the entire day tomorrow trying to work out that shit just to discover it was some really small little thing that was fucking with me.

All i wanted to do was stay chill, work a little and play vidya in peace.

Also, i dont know about your start up OP but the most chill job i ever had was at a start up. they had to let a bunch of people go due to lack of funds but it had the best environment and coworkers i ever worked with. Now at a big company i feel like shit and stressed almost everyday

Attached: the CHAD tier list.png (1285x418, 598K)

btw i am probably gonna try to get a government job. you dont get fired unless you fuck up immensely or do something criminal so i wont be that stressed and will have some time for hobbies and fun. this last weekend felt like i spent a few hours having fun.

2 friends of mine got government jobs and one of them works only 3 days a week most of the time. depending on the job you will probably have a better quality of life.

this is what happened to me.

It's really only possible in the smaller towns and cities because there's less lock-in by software/companies and contractors that want to keep them locked behind prebuilt machines and legacy software.
These small towns are desperate for younger more modern IT people that can keep up with standards and it is our chance to get the foot in the door.

We need to be the people to make the change we want to see.
When you are able to prove that the FOSS model works you lead by example and it spreads to the medium cities and soon enough by worth of mouth we might be able to change the system.

Be honest and remember you are representing the FOSS community.
When I first got my gig it was all windows workstations and it drove me mad because they said it was impossible to switch to linux.

One by one I swapped out and after about 7 months everything with alternatives and now I administer all Linux workstations.

They didn't even need hardware upgrades that would have been required with windows 10 because it was so much leaner than their previous setups.

I never get calls anymore unless they need me to whitelist something in the browser.

In my new gained free time I continue to study to improve the systems for security and optimization.

I got a software developer job where I receive very little micromanagement. And while I do work some, at least 50% of my day is just fucking around on the internet. And the boss man still praises me for getting things done fast, lmao.