Machine Identification Code Removal

Okay, the situation of inkjet printers printing id codes unique to specific machines is what we all have have known about for a while, but is there a way to find out where this happens this and modify a printer so that this doesn't get printed?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Identification_Code
>inb4 JTAG
That shit is practically impossible without finding the actual taps, for which the company won't release any schematics. Is there any software or something that stops this?
>inb4 laser
same shit different tech probably:
eff.org/wp/investigating-machine-identification-code-technology-color-laser-printers

Attached: Printermarkrp.jpg (717x466, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/nicholasclewis/inkshield-an-open-source-inkjet-shield-for-arduino
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=149&v=RVSecWR5YgY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where's the Foss printer?

When the first IBM Copier IIIs arrived our branch had the asset number engraved on the photo-drum. Everything printed on that copier carried that mark.

You print using black ink only.

>You print using black ink only.
yeah no it still prints it, shine a blue light on it and the yellow dots show up easy

print on yellow paper

Attached: 1480294769662.png (807x935, 208K)

I'm genuinely curious as to why they even bother. This is so asinine that even the most retarded conspiracy theorist can't concoct a situation where it'd be useful to big brother.

IIRC they literally have made arrests using this (when some terrorist or "activist" or whatever made printed material available before going off to commit a crime)

It's in the firmware and it's proprietary. So, no.
You can write your own firmware and drivers, though. Which is what BSD does.

if you printed out a nasty letter to the President then they'd be able to track you down.
It's a bit pointless nowadays, but probably in the 1980s and most of the 1990s it was an ingenious way of tracking people down... when they actually used to use paper.

That's very unlikely and the government has no problem achieving convictions without relying on ridiculous happenstance. I could circumvent this method of tracing printing by just going to a small library and paying ten cents to use their's.

A lot of modern printers require full manufacturers software install to print high definition prints, or to order ink. Have you tried installing software like that? When setting up my hp, setup exe tried to make like a 100 different connections to various servers/hosts. I am sure that my printers serial number was sent to hp and stored on their servers. Now if there is sort of document printed, an incriminating photo, a leak maybe that police or some goverment agencies want to find out where it came from, they will just read the serial on the document then compare it to the ones on hp,canon, epson servers.
This is pretty trivial if you are aware of this stuff but 99.9% or normies and even a lot of technical people dont know about any of this.

What is unlikely? That the arrests happened? Look it up, it's literally a fact.
>inb4 burden of proof
You're not wrong but if you're too lazy to care then I'm too lazy to prove anything to you.

>you could circumvent it...
Oh you could, but criminals still leave fingerprints, do you think the obscure and well-suppressed fact that printers secretly print yellow dots is really at the forefront of every mass shooter's opsec checklist, assuming they even have one? Most criminals are stupid, and the overwhelming majority aren't planning geniuses educated in the minutiae of every single aspect of their lives - especially for something as common as printers, which everyone always uses with no second thoughts.

I'm just saying that this method of tracing is ridiculously complicated as compared to law enforcement's ability to otherwise accomplish the same job with simpler means.

>Oh you could, but criminals still leave fingerprints
The rest of your post is something we agree with, but that's my point. Why the fuck would you even bother trying this gotcha on random criminals? Even a police state would find a hard time making use of this, they just don't need it, for legitimate or illegitimate purposes.

Where did you get that drawing of me?

All libraries today have CCTV cameras, and require an account to use the computer. All printouts, login times, etc, are logged.

the cia boomer idiots didnt even encrypt the messages. thats why it got cracked eventually. it isnt ingenious.

just write ur message by magazine cutouts like a normal person

It's really not. Maybe the original development was, but now that the systems are well-designed I'm sure the actual production cost is minimal, and it's not like margins are really tight for printer companies. Plenty of more idiotic things have had their development funded, and ended up being far less successful.
>Why the fuck would you even bother trying this gotcha on random criminals?
More avenues is always better. You can catch the two guys who didn't wear gloves, but out of the two guys who did, would you like to also be able to catch the one who printed out a manifesto, or let them both slip?

Also, if we're talking about (domestic) terrorists specifically, those are usually the kind of people that do wear gloves. But they also print out manifestos. And unless they've already heard of this (which the vast, overwhelming majority of people haven't, even today), they're not gonna search for "is my printer tracking me", of all things.

Any free as in freedom printers?

just pay with cash and wear a mask when you buy it

Nooo, that's not suspicious at all

Attached: 20-209595_anime-face-template-smug-please-don-t-bully.png.jpg (820x598, 92K)

Run a blank page through multiple printers multiple times

Interesting problem. Assuming you got identical models, and the patterns are in the same place, could you obfuscate the number with only 2 printers? If not how many?

Fujitsu bought it

Wow, a 12 year old on a Mongolian basket weaving forum calling members of our government's intelligence community "idiots'
Oh, the irony

bootlicking cuck

Wait, can someone explain to me why it isn’t trivial to remove this dot thing from my Brother cheap printer?

>When setting up my hp, setup exe tried to make like a 100 different connections to various servers/hosts. I am sure that my printers serial number was sent to hp and stored on their servers.
Fuck. I have zero doubt your IP address was forwarded as well. I thought you'd be safe if you didn't register your unit, but if there's a server ping then you're fucked.

>thought you'd be safe if you didn't register your unit
I thought that at first but I cant really be sure, its a network printer as well, where is the guarantee it didnt try to connect to one of the open wifi networks there is near me and ping hp servers though them? Also I checked specification, its cheap printer but it has like 800mhz cpu and 256mb of ram, capable of printing raw, jpg, pdf, where is the guarantee that even if its not registered it wont read, raw, jpeg exif data, pdf ownership/signature, store it in memory permanently, and (if data exists) print camera model and serial number, date/time pic taken, and fucking gps coordinates in some encoded format thay even if you can read the dots you still wont know what they mean.
Its a cheap printer, I am thinking of opening it up, to see the mobo and were wifi module is connected, then just throwing it away (into electronic recycle) and buying the new one, same model and removing/disconnecting wifi module before even turning it on, then only using it with really old laptop with linux on it not connected to the internet.

How does that work if your printer only has black toner?

Black/grey dots that (slightly) contrast with the background color.

A recent "leaker" got arrested because she gave photocopied information that was originally printed on an inkjet and got caught by it.

kickstarter.com/projects/nicholasclewis/inkshield-an-open-source-inkjet-shield-for-arduino

This is quite interesting

probably, use two printer and print one page 2 times each while rotating

What if you completely remove the color cassette?

Refuses to print

2012, any progress ?

Just print like one tiny black square in the corner from multiple printers before printing whatever it is you want to print, the yellow markers should overwrite each other and make identification harder if not impossible.

Get an old printer and print from an old OS. Postscript Level 2 on a Laserwriter and Mac System 7 will do fine. And most anything will print to PDF these days, which can handily be converted to Postscript.

Have fun printing $20's, homie.

The backend is based on blockchain tech so if they can't implicate you with the printed serial they'll just pull the ledger from your neighbor's lasagna recipe.

stop lying, you stupid faggot.

different user here
On my canon printer the colour cartridge was empty and I was wondering why I couldn't print b/w only.
I HAD TO put in a new colour one to print b/w.
What the fuck?

Different user too. No, you didn't.

This was for , not .

Buy printer used at goodwill. Set it outside first and examine for bedbugs. Once clear, wipe it down. Profit. Untraceable printer.

Pay in cash and wear normie clothing so you don't stand out. Thats how I get my tannerite.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=149&v=RVSecWR5YgY

Buy a typewriter for your blackmailing letters. As simple as that.