/cyb/ + /sec/ - CYBERPUNK/CYBERSECURITY GENERAL

Previous threads: [ archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/search/text//cyb/ /sec//type/op/ ]
THE CYPHERPUNK MANIFESTO: [ activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html ]
Last thread: [- - - - - -
/cyb/erpunk [24 JUL 2019]
The Cyberpunk Manifesto: [ project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/cyberpunk_manifesto.html ]
The alt.cyberpunk FAQ (V5.26) [ ftp://50.31.112.231/pub/Alt_Cyberpunk_FAQ_V5_preview26.htm ]
What is cyberpunk?: [ pastebin.com/pmn9vzWZ ]
Cyberpunk directory (Communities/IRC and other resources): [ pastebin.com/AJYry5NH ]
Cyberpunk media (Recommended cyberpunk fiction): [ pastebin.com/Dqfa6uXx ]
The cyberdeck: [ pastebin.com/7fE4BVBg ]
- - - - - -
/sec/urity [24 JUL 2019]
The Crypto Anarchist Manifesto: [ activism.net/cypherpunk/crypto-anarchy.html ]
The Hacker Manifesto: [ phrack.org/issues/7/3.html ]
The Guerilla Open Access Manifesto: [ archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt ]
The /sec/ Career FAQ (V1.11) [ ftp://50.31.112.231/pub/sec_FAQ_V1_Preview11.htm ]
Why Privacy Matters: [ youtube.com/watch?v=pcSlowAhvUk ]
"Shit just got real": [ pastebin.com/rqrLK6X0 ]
Cybersecurity basics and armory: [ pastebin.com/v8Mr2k95 ]
Endware: [ endchan.xyz/os/res/32.html ]
BBS archives: [ textfiles.com/index.html ]
Reference books (PW: ABD52oM8T1fghmY0): [ mega.nz/#F!YigVhZCZ!RznVxTiA0iN-N6Ps01pEJw ]
Learning/News/CTFs: [ pastebin.com/WQhRYB59 ]
FTP Backup: ftp://50.31.112.231/pub
thegrugq OPSEC: [ grugq.github.io/ ]
#! sec guide [ pastebin.com/aPr5R1pj ]
EFF anti-surveillance [ ssd.eff.org/en ]
- - - - - -

threatpost.com/samsung-lg-android-spearphone-eavesdropping/146625/

So now the accelerometer can pick up sound waves. Thanks, smartphones.

Attached: cybsec.gif (938x1032, 3.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

is2.Jow
pastebin.com/3qw34s2M
youtube.com/watch?v=1KJpYvV1n5w
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/dataspii-inside-the-debacle-that-dished-private-data-from-apple-tesla-blue-origin-and-4m-people/
threatpost.com/vlc-media-player-plagued-by-unpatched-critical-rce-flaw/146611/
trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/22474
sciencealert.com/scientists-have-printed-droplets-of-permanently-magnetic-liquid-and-boy-is-it-trippy
lwn.net/free
linux.slashdot.org/story/19/07/24/2124240/vlc-developer-debunks-reports-of-critical-security-issue-in-open-source-media-player
allegro.pl/oferta/zestaw-startowy-sredni-l-arduino-uno-r3-starter-6912140493?bi_s=ads&bi_m=listing:desktop:query&bi_c=NWE2OWMyNTctODhjNi00MGZkLWFjNTQtMGRkYzhiMDQ2YTE1AA&bi_t=ape&referrer=proxy&emission_unit_id=ec3cc5a7-09c5-41ea-afaf-74b3923c6d9c
smoothwall-info.net/dataking/mods/fail2ban/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Last thread: [
Yes, once again felled by the Euro night.

I have an old motherboard, which didn't get patced BIOS for Spectre/Meltdown/etc. Will a simple microcode upgrade with up-to-date OS keep me safe from CIA niggers?

Likely, yes. Spectre/Meltdown etc. are processor vulns, not BIOS. Exploits for them are, by themselves, not persistent. But update BIOS just in case anyway, it's mostly useful.

A few threads ago I saw someone post a magnet link to some OSCP literature. Anyone got that handy?

There's "Penetration Testing with Kali Linux" in the OP's "Reference Books" Mega link, but it's several years old.

Cyberpunk has nothing to do with cyber security. And cyber security sounds like a buzz word and means pretty nothing.

You are late. And you missed out on the last thread.

you sound like someone who has never checked to see whether any of your accounts have had their details leaked in a data breach

Not him but I am a bit sceptical about entering my collection of passwords into a web page for it to check if there is a match. Who knows what they do with the input. I'd rather have a list I can download and search myself.

You don't need to enter your password... If you enter your email address on haveibeenpwned it will tell you if the data dump contained your password, or a hash, or whatever other details were leaked

That's up with the OP image and Jow Forums? Opening it in a separate window gives me
is2.Jow Forums.org/g/1563952637764.gif
which throws NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

looks fine to me, post the certificate details?

I have the same error.

OK, several parts:
NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID
Subject: *.Jow Forums.org

Issuer: Let's Encrypt Authority X3

Expires on: 24. jul. 2019

Current date: 24. jul. 2019

PEM encoded chain:

The rest is huge.
pastebin.com/3qw34s2M

how much could a rogue browser add-on do to a person's privacy?

Could it send all your desktop activity, voice chats on skype/discord/etc... and other info to the centralized server the add-on operates with?

Depends what permissions you gave the add-on.

Attached: 1562866350379.png (427x482, 227K)

it asks you for permission to use. However it auto updates itself and has been un-ironically been considered a botnet by people that actually use it.

Is CYBERSECURITY interchangeable with hacking?
By that I mean do I get to understand and get better with how hacking works by getting more experienced with cybersecurity?
And the reverse, do I get better with cybersecurity by learning how hacking works?
I feel like this thread is somewhat of a treasure trove but I can't seem to use it properly.

Giving the add-on permissions will let it do basically whatever the fuck to your in-browser activity, but extensions have repeatedly ignored it. It'd take some high level faggotry to let it gain access to your desktop shit, but it's definitely possible.

>Is CYBERSECURITY interchangeable with hacking?
Not entirely, though "hacking" as a term is ambiguous. In its origins, "hacking" was to do something unexpected or something nobody even thought possible. Passing through security measures is then a subset of that. After Hollywood and the press had their days, hacking tends to mean malicious acts that violate laws and security by people in dark basements wearing ski masks.
Some proposed using the term "cracking" for malicious acts but that never caught on.
>By that I mean do I get to understand and get better with how hacking works by getting more experienced with cybersecurity?
Probably, yes.
>And the reverse, do I get better with cybersecurity by learning how hacking works?
Yes, though in the full scope of the original term you learn a lot more than that.
>I feel like this thread is somewhat of a treasure trove but I can't seem to use it properly.
It is, and it is the comfiest general around here. We all started from scratch back in the day, so welcome, and do hang around. We talk about these things and much more.

Attached: HM2019.gif (1080x1440, 640K)

whats some cool cyberpunk/cybersec stuff i can do with a RaspberryPi? not gloposting

youtube.com/watch?v=1KJpYvV1n5w

Attached: mist-rising-from-the-bog-at-sunrise-foggy-marshland-scene-in-the-early-morning-with-pine-trees-and-g (1920x1080, 1.32M)

happening ona whole server of 4 chins
seemingly one of its cert just expired

You can set up a honeypot with honeypi.
why aren't honeypots that shit malware onto anyone dumb enough to connect called wasp nest?

HIBP lets you download the entire list of hashed passwords. I had the same concerns so I just did it myself.

Just use look or sgrep to check your password hashes

This year it is 20 years since the first Matrix movie and I don't think any other even comes close.

I need shades but it is too hot to wear a black coat.

We had a discussion a while ago about returning zip bombs to pesky persistent attackers. Not entirely kosher, it was said.

As an alternative one could perhaps generate a HUGE stream of randomized usernames for non-existing accounts. I see some sites have that for scrapers.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/dataspii-inside-the-debacle-that-dished-private-data-from-apple-tesla-blue-origin-and-4m-people/

threatpost.com/vlc-media-player-plagued-by-unpatched-critical-rce-flaw/146611/
trac.videolan.org/vlc/ticket/22474

looks like an oob read and the devs are saying "it doesn't crash so it's not a bug." silly devs.

its a good idea to throw people off their trail

attacking attackers is unethical and causes doubts about who really did what of illegal. as a rule of thumb you should always be capable of considering calling the police with incriminating evidence without endangering your case on whatever happens just because of liability

I can see two ways
a: respond to links with an endless maze of auto generated new pages, with heavy payloads
b: respond with en endless stream of unterminated random data
As an optional extra start tarpitting where the response goes down to a few bytes per second, just to keep their ports busy.

Euro night strikes back. Hang on in there.

Attached: Daybreak_by_Parrish_(1922).jpg (3463x1999, 1.35M)

naw, i gotta hit the bed soon.

so VLC is now shit?

Attached: 1a1TF.jpg (405x500, 43K)

welp. goodnight

Attached: 1365829858753.jpg (1118x1626, 708K)

no, but the devs do not understand security bugs. they are working on a patch regardless of what they say in the comments.

To add to this, no, it can't steal any data the browser doesn't have access to unless there is a permissions issue with the browser security model or there is a bug which allows them to read anything from the filesystem.

eurobros are more cybsec than murricans.

sciencealert.com/scientists-have-printed-droplets-of-permanently-magnetic-liquid-and-boy-is-it-trippy

hacking physics because reasons

What are your opinions on the intel microcode patches for spectre? Have you applied them or are they a backdoor?

All major ships are likely backdoored already so I cannot see any reason why microcode patches can make that risk bigger.

opinions on the Sec+ exam? Been going through prof messer videos and seems super boring. what's the exam really like? Been off and on in IT for a decade with half a dozen other certs and MIS degree.

How many graphic novel from William Gibson, are there?

I can only remember two
- a partial Neuromancer
- a complete Alien-story (cannot remember which one) based on his script rather on the films

Are there any cyberpunk graphic novel from other authors that are similar

The /cyb/ FAQ lists several but uses the term comics rather than graphic novel. Transmetropolitan is perhaps one of the better known ones.

Latest free LWN issue is out: lwn.net/free
Interesting stuff on load tearing for creating wild pointers.

ethical hacking is for faggots and women.

Why? Do you enjoy imprisonment?

How to check if a motherboard BIOS has been maliciously modified? I read about this new malware that replaces the BIOS and is resistant to reflashing, which would mean the general ways of detecting and fighting malware would be of no help. So how would one detect this, if it is possible at all?

Also, are there other programmable chips on a motherboard that can potentially be a target for malware? Could malware of this nature (firmware/hardware malware) possibly spread to other programmable chips in a system or would each chip have to be separately infected?

You'd have to have at least a checksum, if not the whole original ROM, disconnect the suspect BIOS ROM chip, connect it to a programmer and dump its contents, then check them against a known good ROM. Not too complicated, but pretty involved.

It COULD spread to other PROMs in the system, but the payload would have to be designed specifically for each device infected that way. All this is likely too expensive for your threat model.

>Also, are there other programmable chips on a motherboard that can potentially be a target for malware?
Potentially all major chips such as graphics, networking, disk controller and more.

>Could malware of this nature (firmware/hardware malware) possibly spread to other programmable chips in a system or would each chip have to be separately infected?
Sure. A hidden track on a USB drive could reflash your BIOS. It would take a lot of effort but when we have things like Stuxnet it should not be dismissed. The effort means it wold be for high value targets.

They hysterically insist there is no problems, whatsoever.
linux.slashdot.org/story/19/07/24/2124240/vlc-developer-debunks-reports-of-critical-security-issue-in-open-source-media-player
Further on Slashdot the debunking is debunked. More fun is to be expected.

Slow day...
BTW, any news from KMS-user?

Also:

Attached: nefelibata__wallpaper_version_by_magicnaanavi_d84ry9a.jpg (1920x1080, 2.46M)

do you mean trhu a flashing tool or trhu commands to dump whats written in bios?

could the command be altered or literally denied?

Probably the best place to ask.
Do any of you know how to get apache to properly log failed zoneminder logins so fail2ban can ban them?

isnt that firewall's job?
afaik its manual but im sure you can do some script to catch those fails and send a command to whatever the firewall is

apache doesn't log web app stuff, but you might be able to write a cron script that parses the apache logs for any requests to the 'login failed' page.

this wouldnt be automatized? i suppose you could get it to run for every new error trhown, or purposefully make apache call it with failed login error exceptions?

you can run the cron job every minute since it's unlikely that you're experiencing much web traffic or need the cpu/mem/disk for something else.

i would like to start with learning embedded programming. Is basic Arduino UNO set good for a beginner, some LED's and shit?
allegro.pl/oferta/zestaw-startowy-sredni-l-arduino-uno-r3-starter-6912140493?bi_s=ads&bi_m=listing:desktop:query&bi_c=NWE2OWMyNTctODhjNi00MGZkLWFjNTQtMGRkYzhiMDQ2YTE1AA&bi_t=ape&referrer=proxy&emission_unit_id=ec3cc5a7-09c5-41ea-afaf-74b3923c6d9c

>isnt that firewall's job?
Seems there is an optional module for Soothwall with this functionality:
smoothwall-info.net/dataking/mods/fail2ban/
It is mentioned that it can easily go wrong.

So there is no way other than desoldering the bios chip?

Seems like if you get this its probably best to just throw out everything connected to it and start again.

>Potentially all major chips such as graphics, networking, disk controller and more.
Graphics on the motherboard?

>Graphics on the motherboard?
Sure, including on-chip with the CPU.

hey anons, i got a problem here, sorry for the quality, im no paint artist
the prob is, my admin page only lets directly wired pcs log in to it(pc1 for example being allowed meanwhile pc2 cant), no problem there, the problem now is that i have a wifi repeater that has its own ipv4 so everyone connected to the wifi repeater (the most used in my house bcos of its layout) has that ipv4, no problem there too, the problem is that wifi repeater is wired, so everyone connected to it is capable of login in to the admin page (which is represented as pc3), which is making me quite paranoic, is there any way i can block that ipv4? thanks in advance

Attached: Gimme free info.png (1750x1582, 970K)

whitelist?

what do you mean user?
sorry for sounding newbie but i really cant find a whitelist page for the configs

Where would you guys recemmond buying/investing in Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencys?

monero and zcash are very cybsec.

Asked my manager to pay for SANS’ SEC401 boot camp in Raleigh this September and she said it should get approved. Any other anons gonna be there?

Why are untrusted people connected to your WiFi?

I had an UNO and learned embedded programming isn’t as cool as it seems. Now making a mini OS with it? That would be cool. But too time intensive for me

I was talking about stuff on the motherboard itself, not things connected to it. Worrying though that even an iGPU can be affected

well i sometimes invite people to my house and let them connect to the wifi throught the repeater.

I wouldn’t worry about your friends hacking your admin page. They probably don’t even know it exists, and they’re your friends

There's no place to list the MAC addresses of connections you want in the admin? Maybe in the same place you set it to wired only?

yeah i know but should i reinforce the pass of the repeater? i mean its a differentwifi whilist being a relay so the main router has more security
the wired setting is set by default and i cant find where to change it

If it has its own IP address it’s not a real repeater because repeaters just repeat the physical signal. You can increase the password length by a lot if you want

i called it a repeater since i dont know how to call it, relay?
the thing is that relay is the most used so id prefer being able to config it as a kind of "guest" wifi so they cant access the admin page, im going to check on the relay page and see if that lets me blacklist that page for those connected to it

Ik this sounds cliche as shit but what are the first steps to "becoming" a cyberpunk

leave the botnet OSes(windows, debian, osx)
leave the botnet programs/languages (all of javascript, java, and all of non FOSS programs)
read 1984
leave all botnet things in real life (watching tv, using credit/debit cards, having a bank account in genereal, using social media and the like)
join anarchist groups (that you search for yourself :*))
now your cyberpunk

So I have PIA vpn set up and it seems to work. I have the kill switch on. Am I good to go? I use transmission for my torrent client. Do I have to configure anything with that? Is there a way I can verify it is using the vpn?

Ah, like the SuperMicro story?

Hello.
I currently use Trisquel with a librebooted X60. It runs the LXDE desktop and has a quick login screen and lock screen+screensaver. It had all this stuff built in so I could get right to work.
I would like to try Parabola. But I don't know how to go from the empty Parabola base to a full desktop+login+screen+lockscreen without a an assload of work. Plus all the documentation on the subject seems to require systemd, and Parabola does not used systemd.
What should I do or look at?

Attached: GunOwnersOfMaine301.jpg (320x323, 17K)

there are bios flashing kits that have a clamp like adapter so you dont need to desoder the bios chip

dont do this
bitcoin itself will crash when zucc releases his coin

Start by reading the FAQ.

What is oob? Out of board?

Hey guys. So right now one of the biggest things I do is run power word doxing for my boss who occasionally loses peoples contact and wants to cold call x, I just use Google or a spare landline to sign up for those bullshit services

What websites does everyone use to get peoples information like phonenumber, addy, email, shit like that.

I work in embedded security (secure boot, tpm/hsm, anti-tamper etc.) but it's honestly so boring
-- the field is unbelievably slow compared to websec, netsec, appsec etc.
What do? I have no certs but strong programming skills. I can't see myself working like this much longer.

You know you don't have to make up stupid stories to ask questions, right?

Eurobros live in 1984

Someone in britian litterally looked at orwels house and said "this is the PERFECT" place for a government surveillance camera

you really think libra won't be regulated to shit by then? the doj is starting antitrust investigations into google, amazon and facebook. many democratic presidential candidates have endorsed the idea that facebook is too powerful.

out of bounds. fuzzing is also referred to as boundary condition testing and memory sanitizers typically test for things like oob reads/writes.

I see. So it's like an mysql injection that leaks userdata

So how do you exploit VLC? I mean I have mpv and parade but...

Also is VLC worse on linux? I just feel it's worse then the win10

What kind of projects have you done in the past?

it's an in memory exploit where it can read past a certain data structure and into things beyond it. that could easily allow aslr bypass by figuring out relative memory addresses.

What encryption framework for servers can I find that only allows remote access? it needs to completely isolate the system from physical access, I know I can just uninstall the input device drivers put that would be too sloppy, I'd like to use something that was made for this. If it comes with the same handiness as TC that would be nice, though I'd like it to have a decryption function as well, just in case.

Does ssh fit the bill?