15k comments

>15k comments
>3k selected answers
>900 badges
>Ex-mod
>member since 2003
Replies I don't know the solution to your problem but I hope you solve it:)

Attached: 242625225.jpg (738x415, 22K)

FUCKIN QUEEAS

>here's your fix bro just click this link
>link is 404d

GABBA

>I pm'd you the fix :^)

why do people do this. the guy asked on a public forum, just post the answer in the thread.

Attached: why at computer.jpg (550x550, 70K)

>Why would you need to do this?

God, this one.

*Marked as answer by mod*

Attached: 1452041004909.jpg (170x208, 5K)

>Search problem on Google
>First link is to some tech forum with the OP having the exact same issue
>Pissed off mod replies, is mad about some asinine rule violation
>Tells person to "just Google it"
>thread locked

Attached: 1511196794467.gif (324x324, 184K)

I will slightly defend them on this one. I always ask clients this as there may be a better way to go about things.
That being said, it's a better question in direct conversation and assumes the person is a retard that hasn't reached that point by assessing other options.

>maybe if you didn't pirate it you wouldn't be having that problem!

Attached: 1512022509612.jpg (306x306, 20K)

>your thread is being locked because it has already been answered multiple
>search for that problem on their site
>there are over 20 threads and only one thread with actual solution in between 15 pages

Gay meme responses like install gentoo

Attached: 1563498396580m.jpg (1024x854, 121K)

>just use this library
>mfw
I'm not asking this because I'm a shit tier contractor. I want know the actual best (performance/maintenance) way to go about it. And I've looked at the library and it's shit.

Attached: starter.jpg (595x334, 24K)

Dear sir, please running SFC /Scannow to fix the problem.

Rajesh Singh
MVP
Please mark the ANSWER as COMPLETED

Most of the time the "people" who deploy this line do so to dishonestly argue their own preference in a subjective matter where the person asking the question has chosen the other way of doing things and is just looking for technical help on how to implement the option they want.
A legit time to ask "why would you need to do this" is if OP said "How do I do A,B,C to get to result X?", and the commenter is asking why he'd do A,B,C if he believes doing task D would bring about OP's desired outcome in fewer steps. But the illegitimate use of the "why would you need to do this" question is when OP asks "How do I get result X?", where X is a desired result and OP wants to know how to implement it.

>just see this pic bro and you will get your answer
>you cannot access the pic if you are not a member
>sign up and click on it "this attachment doesn't exist anymore"

>find forum post with what you want
>it's in a link
>links are for forum members only
>check bugmenot for any working logins
>lolnope
>use a temporary mail service to make an account
>doesn't allow the temporary mail service
>repeat several times
>every temp mail service is blocked
>finally buckle and use real email account
>log in to forum
>still can't view links
>need to jump through arbitrary hoops like "make a post introducing yourself" and "make 20 posts" before earning the privilege of seeing links
>finally go through all this bullshit
>click the link
>megaupload.com

>Go to some thread, person has asked the question I am trying to fix in it
>nEcOing, closing thread, pls make a new thread
>Go to new thread
>wE aLreAdy hAve a tHead foR this, pls us seArch
>Doesn't link to said thread
>Search function is complete and utter shit and uses a captcha each time, nothing is pinned and the forums are organized like hot garbage

Attached: Resized952019041695162609956566.jpg (1244x2560, 172K)

A while back I had a client ask about how to forward emails to faxes.

I mean of course there are services that do this and I could have sent them there, but asking why the hell they wanted faxes in 2019 was the right idea. Apparently their 50MB videos were being rejected due to attachment sizes and they thought faxing it would be a workaround. Can you imagine the cluster fuck if I set up some eFax and told them it's done?

>"you have to be registered to see links"
>register
>"now you have to have 10 karma to see links"
>start spamming their shitty forum with "thanks"es
>finally enough karma to see link
>rapidshare

Attached: 1551571491544.jpg (600x630, 30K)

>"Locked, use Google"
>Found the thread on Google and it's the only relevant result

Attached: 1390814443192.jpg (352x398, 11K)

>mfw I've never encountered any of this bullshit
stop having such obscure problems and take the normie pill

Attached: 0651Gns.jpg (1024x681, 93K)

>have very rare issue with windows 10
>finally find a thread describing the exact same issue I have on official microsoft help desk forum
>microsoft pajeet and tells op to run disk defrag/check disk/restart/something completely retarded and unrelated to the problem
>no further comment from op
>pajeet marks thread as SOLVED
I fucking hate indians

Attached: 1539708185629.gif (403x392, 84K)

Microsoft's shitty forums are the worst possible example of meme forum answers and should get mocked more than SO.

its sad because they used to be pretty good for finding technical stuff (technet, ancient knowledge base articles) but now its 404 galore

hi just compile the package on the terminal and go into the temp folder to check the kernal

XY problem

how the fuck did they end up with conclusion that they might be able to fax a fucking video?

>getting scammed

>"sorry for the necro bump, this thread wasn't resolved and is the only result on google and is just barely past the necro bump date limit. looks like hundreds or thousands of people were having the same problem. here's the exact answer to the problem and lots of helpful reference material. hope that helps someone, feel free to lock the thread now that it's resolved. :)"
>"LOCKED, NEVER NECRO BUMP THREADS!"

why are forum mods so autistic about "necroing". I get that it's retarded to respond to a once-active discussion from years ago, but if it's a specific topic, especially troubleshooting-related, there's no reason to not just bump the same thread with relevant info rather than creating a new thread with no context.

Attached: janny viper.jpg (600x600, 36K)

jannies on a power trip

It should be illegal to let tech questions without solution be indexed on search engines.

>create new thread
>locked, there already exists thread about this

Doesn't even solve the problem. On places like microsoft support, when you ask how to do something, the "answer" you get is some pajeet telling you that you shouldn't want to do that anyway, and then marking the problem as solved.

It's not impossible, perhaps they have a lot of old paper to spare.

how do you fax a video?

Attached: pepe pondering.jpg (699x485, 60K)

>just do this completely unrelated thing

>have you tried reinstalling your graphics drivers?
dude fuck off with this shit

Attached: dyatlov come on.gif (236x250, 1.47M)

Attached: 1563613411414.png (763x325, 93K)

The worst shit is when they tell you to reinstall the OS. No shit that would fix the problem, you might as well tell me to buy a new car every time it has trouble. I'm here because I don't want to avoid reinstalling.

>dude just reinstall your drivers
>dude just reinstall your OS
>dude just reformat your drive
Every goddamn time. And if you don't just lie and pretend you already did all that, everyone will throw a hissyfit and refuse to help any further

Upvoted

>Just get this bro
>Requires account to view this file
>Requires at least 20 posts to be able to download this file
>Spam random bullshit in threads
>Get banned before you reach 20 posts

>title has same problem that you are facing
>it wasn't solved and answer was randomly selected.

>it works

I've stopped browsing forums for problems since 80% of the time since even the le epic oldfags and the retards with 10k posts leave a half-assed or plain wrong and incorrect answer or suggestion.

> post on video game forum about not knowing what to do in quest
> the translation to my native language is so bad I don't understand certain dialogue
> people replying to my thread immediately accuse me of piracy
> thread is locked without answer and warning given

I'll never understand that. Theoretically let's say I did pirate the game; this is just a small independent hobby forum with no connections to the developers or publishers. Why the fuck should any of the users even give a shit if someone else pirated. I get it if we're talking about the official forums, but elsewhere it makes no sense to give a shit.

>bbbuuut muh developers and their billionaire publishers

>administrator has to manually approve you account before you can post
>forum's been dead for 10 years

Attached: 1556226918774.jpg (474x452, 120K)

They enjoy the cosy feeling of being a part of a circlejerk. I mean, a community.

To put it another way, "Why would you need to do this?" often means "Why are you doing something I don't like or know anything about?"

There's also an element of brown-nosing involved, especially when someone has a problem relating to a big company's product. The mods and regulars take the side of the company and find fault with the poster even when their problem didn't have anything to do with their competence. They just don't say, 'Thank you Microsoft, may I have another?" as is the norm in that cosy community of people who agree with each other.

It's actually kind of funny that the entire reason SO adopted the whole "search before you ask" mentality was to declutter the page by stopping duplicate questions. As a result it's just cluttered with people having their threads closed immediately instead, and essentially no useful information. The obvious solution would just be to allow duplicates, but that would mean admitting they were wrong when they set the system up that way in the first place.

>Just import this fuckhuge library