Explain why you don't use the greatest programming language

Explain why you don't use the greatest programming language.

Attached: commonlisp.png (2880x1800, 562K)

Other urls found in this thread:

braveclojure.com/introduction/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

shill lisp for me

I just started to learn python instead. It means I should start over. Not that I am not interested though. Lisp looks so much elegant than python.

How do I learn it? Can I get a job within a month of learning it?

But I already use Python.

I'll get you guys started: braveclojure.com/introduction/

Attached: book-cover.jpg (350x489, 99K)

(((lisp)))

I tried om.next but the reconciler is broken in 1.10 for me and according to the githib it's been broken like that for months. What's a good active project to make web pages?

What do clojure and scheme have that common lisp doesn't?

Baggers convinced me to start learning to program with Common Lisp. Still have a long way to go, though.

But I do.

On what type of projects ?

I like lowercase letters

>a lisp designed by a comittee
I prefer clojure
>inb4 muh JVM
The JVM is fine, it's Java which sucks, besides, the idea of Clojure isn't inherently tied to the JVM, you could implement it in any other language (see CLR, JS)
SBCL is still based.
It really is the most powerful programming language.
For some reason I found the book tedious and tiring. Too cute.
I can attest to clojure:
Immutable structure sharing persistent collections.
sequence and collections abstractions. No more car, cdr, and cons, but first, rest and conj, which work on all sequences (lists, vectors, maps, sets). All sequences have first class reader support (in terms of code is data, (1 2 3) is a list, [1 2 3] is a vector and {:fred 1 :ethel 2 :lucy 3} is a map), generic sequence operations. Concurrency semantics: atoms, refs, agents, dosync, commute, promises. core.async (channels, actor model). Very good Emacs plugins.

Attached: have-seqs.png (728x2184, 516K)

Why use Common Lisp when Clojure exists? What does the former do better?

>Be me
>Learn python
>use it once, "Oh that's pretty cool"
>Ignore for a long ass time
>Learn Perl
>use it often, "Nice, I could do this all day."
>Suddenly, Python becomes popular, and everyone is praising it for how easy it is.

Moral of the story is:
Fuck Pyhton for getting popular without my knowledge.

Attached: wtfum-Trashed.jpg (283x331, 27K)

there's literally no excuse to not using lisp.
you can make it use lowercase letters if you want

lmao, there is (almost) no job for Lisp
the only thing you get is respect from hacker/programming community

use whatever lisp you like

> but muh jobs HURR DURR
don't be mediocre. innovate

I did a bit of Ocaml at school, it was fun to write but it always feel pointless so i never tried lisp

no types, next

>no types, next

Attached: 1562976670707.png (323x570, 214K)

Weird, when Lisp can run faster than C.

But I do.
The only times I don't is when some other language already has a convenient third party library that can get the job done quickly.

There are Common Lisp implementations for the JVM as well.

It's not tied to the JVM, while being able to use it.

Python is a slow and unstable piece of shit

What is Common Lisp used for?
If I learn Common Lisp, what are some languages that will be easier to pick up next?
And, most importantly, WHY learn Common Lisp?

Attached: 1554116919340.png (441x349, 187K)

I think just old codebase really

Personally what got me to try Clojure was watching some of Rich Hickey's keynotes.

nigger

Attached: types.png (1664x2056, 548K)

Learning lisp unironically makes learning every subsequent language easier.
Too bad lisp itself is not used much in the industry lately.

What language is most Lisp-like with a decent popularity in industry?

im a python faggit, that's why

clojure

Python

Haskell gets you more hacker cred tbkh. Also more jobs somehow lel.

Attached: AA643CF6-851E-479E-84D4-7A6CDBBD89B2.jpg (457x652, 36K)

The point isn't the JVM, but what are the internal data representations, if it's compiled, performance, etc.
It's not lisp-like, it's a real lisp.

Lisp or Haskell or both?

Common Lisp is multiparadigm, unlike Haskell, which means is more useful in the long term.

Python is multiparadaigm, and actively used this century, unlike Lisp, which means it is actually useful.

a comunity

The most powerful programming language is Lisp. If you don't know Lisp (or its variant, Scheme), you don't know what it means for a programming language to be powerful and elegant. Once you learn Lisp, you will see what is lacking in most other languages.

Unlike most languages today, which are focused on defining specialized data types, Lisp provides a few data types which are general. Instead of defining specific types, you build structures from these types. Thus, rather than offering a way to define a list-of-this type and a list-of-that type, Lisp has one type of lists which can hold any sort of data.

Where other languages allow you to define a function to search a list-of-this, and sometimes a way to define a generic list-search function that you can instantiate for list-of-this, Lisp makes it easy to write a function that will search any list — and provides a range of such functions.

In addition, functions and expressions in Lisp are represented as data in a way that makes it easy to operate on them.

When you start a Lisp system, it enters a read-eval-print loop. Most other languages have nothing comparable to `read', nothing comparable to `eval', and nothing comparable to `print'. What gaping deficiencies!

While I love the power of Lisp, I am not a devotee of functional programming. I see nothing bad about side effects and I do not make efforts to avoid them unless there is a practical reason. There is code that is natural to write in a functional way, and code that is more natural with side effects, and I do not campaign about the question. I limit my campaigning to issues of freedom and justice, such as to eliminate nonfree software from the world.

Lisp is no harder to understand than other languages. So if you have never learned to program, and you want to start, start with Lisp. If you learn to edit with Emacs, you can learn Lisp by writing editing commands for Emacs.

Python is slow, made by slow people for slow people, unlike Common Lisp.

>So if you have never learned to program, and you want to start, start with Lisp
Terrible advice richardo

Why do you think that?

>if it's compiled, performance,
Not intrinsic properties of the language, these are properties of the implementation.
For some reason, a big selling point of Clojure is "runs on the JVM!" when Lisp programmers have always been those who understand the distinction between language and implementation better than anyone else.

Python itself isn't slow. The most popular interpreter is.

Yeah, better start with C so that you "understand how computers work", right?

Because I use the superior Lisp dialect, Scheme.

Lisp's syntax is so different from any modern used programming language

Are you 8? LOL

God is all-knowing, god is everywhere, god is good, god looks after you, god knows what you think, god is well-meaning, god will punish you or reward you depending on your actions.

There, did I make you a christian?

No, because the concept of "god" is anything but exclusive to Christianity.

>learning how to program is about learning syntax
Jow Forums in a nutshell.

Attached: war_of_the_worlds_0.jpg (720x529, 80K)

So? Syntax is the least of your concerns when learning programming languages. Just go to learnxinyminutes, click a language and scroll away.
Fuck off, newfag.

I do! Except for when I have to do schoolwork or anything with GUIs, those projects lend themselves to other languages better.
can't tell if this is bait or not, nobody should be this retarded...

And I use the superior Scheme dialect, Racket.

Attached: Barrus naris.jpg (778x335, 96K)

no (compiler enforced static) types, next

Can someone please translate pic related in either Lisp or Scheme?

Attached: example1.png (458x165, 9K)

Ok
(loop (let ((a (progn (format t "Insert a number:")
(parse-integer (read-line))))
(b (progn (format t "Insert another number:")
(parse-integer (read-line)))))
(format t "Sum: ~a~%" (+ a b))))

what are "progn" and "parse-integer"?

Okay. I can get the question about "progn", it is not obvious from its name.
But "parse-integer", seriously?

Why, this is the programming language.

All the fundamental concepts and idioms are there.

To know Common Lisp (or even Racket) is to know all about programming.

Now fuck off.

But it doesn't actually matter what dialect of Lisp you learn right? For as far as I've understood if you learn any Lisp you'll be able to pick up any other in no time at all (as long as you understand the different programming paradigms other Lisps have of course)? I'm planning on starting to learn CL soon'ish since I feel that whatever the case, I'll definitely get something out of it.