/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:

-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: 1562939343166.png (5904x4000, 1.57M)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd.org/errata65.html
openbsd.org/loongson.html
openbsd.org/plat.html
theregister.co.uk/2012/06/12/stallman_laptop_stolen/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot_criticism
why-openbsd.rocks/
openbsd.amsterdam/servers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Previous

Attached: Stallman vs. BSD.png (499x499, 236K)

OpenBSD sucks ass.

When will docker be available on OpenBSD? I'd run it but I need a dockerized torrent solution.

On the 12th of never

>Most secure operating system in the world
>Can't easily dockerize softare to prevent it from escaping sandbox

T-thanks Theo.

A better question would be when will OP give up and stop begging for help with his failed OS from 4channers? I mean is this guy trying to copy the Haikufag that keeps shitposting his shill thread? Even the Friendly Windows General thread is more productive.

>This whole thread
BSDistrofags BTFO

Docker relies on too many Linux-isms like /proc, which requires a Linux compatibility layer.
You can use FreeBSD, which has a Docker port alongside a Linux compat layer.

can i play video games on bsd

>Docker relies on too many Linux-isms
>You can use another BSDistro
That's not how shilling your defective OS projects work.

If you can tolerate TUI dungeon crawlers and TUI Tetris, sure.

If you want retro/emulated games, yes.
Other than that, I wouldn't recommend using *BSD for gaming.

A reliability fix just got published today.
Run syspatch now!
openbsd.org/errata65.html

Why would you post a reliability fix, when you posted this whole shill thread to demonstrate just how "reliable" OpenBSD is?

>tfw:
>Linux is insecure bloated trannyshit
>OpenBSD is a featureless archaic meme
>the new microkernel OSes aren’t usable as a daily driver

Attached: 0A10599A-14FC-4DCE-B018-E166F5BBFA92.png (917x871, 139K)

HardenedBSD then, maybe?
Redox OS seems pretty usable these days, assuming that it has drivers for your hardware.

Are you literally retarded user?

>Shills the reliability of OpenBSD
>Oops; OpenBSD isn't reliable anymore, so here's the fix
That's not how reliability or shilling for reliability works. If it's reliable, you don't have to fix its reliability. But that's what happens when an OS isn't POSIX-compliant like Inspur K-UX, EulerOS or Adélie Linux.

>why OpenBSD
>pic related
LMFAO, I think I'm gonna pass.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-24-14-36-29.png (720x1280, 183K)

See

Haven’t tried redox in a while. Does it actually have software now?

It has the Rust compiler and LLVM, they also made their own C library (written in Rust) called relibc, which is said to improve compatibility with C/C++ software, so I assume software compatibility is good over there.
It is also MIT-licensed and POSIX-compliant, so it's ideologically compatible with *BSD.

I really think to go away from linux shit and install openbsd on my chinkpad.
This guys do serious things.

>It is also MIT-licensed and POSIX-compliant
>so it's ideologically compatible with *BSD
None of the BSDs have ever been POSIX-compliant since their creation. See

Thanks, I don't need a troll to tell me what POSIX is.

You're the troll for claiming that any of the BSDs are actually POSIX-compliant, when none of them are.

>inb4 macOS
macOS is only POSIX-compliant as a result of mixing non-compliant BSD components with components from NeXT.

>Gets upset over Linux having more POSIX-compliant distributions than any BSDistro ever will
Retard detected.

How do the OpenBSD guys deal with Intel Management Engine and AMD Security Processor backdoors?

Attached: zero-day-exploits2.jpg (357x450, 43K)

They deal with it by disabling hyperthreading, which is why OpenBSD runs so much slower than other OSes by default.

don't use x86 CPUs

when you get older and your parents stop paying your bills you will learn why people work for money not for free

If it only was possible to circumvent it disabling hyperthreading...

So what kind of computers do they use?
You have some example of such machine?

Attached: QuantumSupremacy-2880x1620_LEDE.jpg (2880x1620, 803K)

Attached: postedagain.jpg (400x400, 96K)

lmfao if people needed OpenBSD to do work node.js wouldn't be out of date.

The management engine runs on ring -3, OpenBSD's kernel runs on ring 0.
There's nothing any operating system can do about it.
The only way to deal with it using OpenBSD is by loading a flasher device (like a raspberry pi) with OpenBSD then connecting it to the GPIO pins of the motherboard then loading a script like me_cleaner

ARM, RISC-V

openbsd.org/loongson.html

Attached: lemote.jpg (600x400, 57K)

very based

>memegenerator

AFAIK me_cleaner doesn't remove everything, because some things related to IME are required during boot. It also can just break the firmware.
Do they even have a RISC-V computer available yet, apart from some FPGA stuff?

Based Longson Lemote is based, but they're not produced anymore and very hard to get. Anything else?

Nope, they aren't related to boot most of the time.
What Intel processors do sometimes, is that they stop after 30 minutes of uptime when the ME is completely removed.
Some people have reported on the me_cleaner issue tracker that these measurements aren't available on some Intel processors, making it possible to run a completely ME-free processor.
To this date, there's no complete list about what processors don't have this measurement.

>It is also MIT-licensed and POSIX-compliant
wtf did I just read?

OpenBSD doesn't support RISC-V (yet).

openbsd.org/plat.html

>yet
I don't think it ever will.

There is a 2011 revision being sold somewhere.

Attached: loongson-3a-1.png (721x809, 415K)

>OpenBSD doesn't support RISC-V (yet).
Makes sense, the boards are incredibly expensive right now, very few people have access to them and they're extremely limited in terms of functionality. I'm pretty sure that they'd rather spend their money and resources on something else.

>Makes sense, the boards are incredibly expensive right now
But the bastards got paid $3850 to port shitty scripting language interpreters like Node.js! Where the fuck did they squander all that money?

That's the same laptop that Stallman went full autist about:
>It was a very sad moment. He was really distressed. He started yelling and punching himself in the head.
theregister.co.uk/2012/06/12/stallman_laptop_stolen/

>Stallman's laptop got wiped and OpenBSD installed on top of GNU/Hurd
And this is supposed to have been an improvement?

>and free free software
Did they achieve a new level of freedom?

>Where the fuck did they squander all that money?
none of your business user

Of course it's my business. If OP comes here to beg us for money, he better not be spending it on prostitutes and alcohol because he was being paid to improve his OS, not his meaningless life.

The OpenBSD foundation publishes all of its expenses online.

Maybe they meant free (as in free beer) free (as in freedom) software.

>his prized laptop, wallet and passport were nicked at a conference in Argentina
Always the fucking Argies...
ALWAYS

About to Install OpenBSD for the first time

Do I have to disable SecureBoot? It's an HP laptop by the way.

During the installation, yes.
After that you can sign the bootloader with your own keys, making secure boot possible.

>Extra work just to get an OS working
Why do you even need to disable SecureBoot? Is OpenBSD not secure enough to even run on a PC with SecureBoot enabled? Would running OpenBSD on a UEFI motherboard open more backdoors into the OS that it claims to have closed, by disabling hyperthreading in software?

Do you generally think that reduced efficiency is a sign of proper security?

that's what he gets for trusting nargies

>Yelling
>Punching himself
Signs of high-functional autism, makes sense, most of his followers are autistic.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Secure_boot_criticism
>In 2011, Microsoft announced that computers certified to run its Windows 8 operating system had to ship with Microsoft's public key enrolled and secure boot enabled. Following the announcement, the company was accused by critics and free software/open source advocates (including the Free Software Foundation) of trying to use the secure boot functionality of UEFI to hinder or outright prevent the installation of alternative operating systems such as Linux.

He's a troll, here's his behavioural pattern, or as I like to say, formula:
1- read something he knows nothing about
2- do some very light research about the topic
3- make deliberately misinformed replies, in order to gain attention
4- keeps making these replies, despite being corrected.
5- claim that he's not the same person that made these replies
He's a very pathetic person and most people like him end up killing themselves at an early age.

I know, that's why I pasted Wikipedia instead of replying seriously.

Is openbsd any good?
I want to use OPENBSD + SEABIOS + SUCKLESS and full encrypted system.

Attached: honklhonk.jpg (800x450, 47K)

Are they the only ones doing MIPS pcs in current year?
I could use a good RISC netbook.

I don't even use OpenBSD and I know about his pathetic "trolling", I see him doing the same in Haiku threads and I've seen him doing his thing in a thread about Busybox a few days ago.
I'm surprised how the mods haven't banned him yet.

>Seabios
Should work fine. Don't use GRUB as the payload though if you want full disk encryption.
>Suckless
Should work fine.
>Full disk encryption
Should work fine.

Yeah, it works perfectly well as long as you don't replace too much in regards of Suckless software (replacing core utils in Linux distros works well because they're separate things, but using sbase in OpenBSD may not be possible). Also, many people have reported usage of coreboot/seabios with openbsd

>why-openbsd.rocks/
For privacy reasons, the OpenBSD team disabled audio recording for all devices by default in the kernel. This can be toggled on/off with a simple sysctl change, without rebooting.

wow thats really good idea.

Thanks guys. x230 8g 120gb enought for that?

Yeah, it's ok.

More than enough. I'm using a T440p with 16 GB RAM, but its RAM usage rarely goes over 2 GB

>low quality meme from a tripfag
what did you expect?

Have these accusations been proven in court?

How do you know it's the same guy? Or are you just assuming things as usual?

I'm surprised at how pathetic you are in trying to track individuals online, to the point that you even save archived threads to shitpost when you suspect it's "him."

An even better idea would be for manufacturers to include physical kill switches for audio, camera, wifi, bluetooth and 3G/4G modems in all computer hardware.

>He's a troll
>But he's correct about no BSD being POSIX-compliant
I'd say he's more intelligent than you realize, if you're the one getting so riled up over posts like when you stupidly think that BSD actually tried to be POSIX-compliant.

>tfw you discover the toggle to disable Bluetooth in your smartphone doesn't completely disable Bluetooth.

Purism is doing that AFAIK.

I encourage you (and anyone reading this) to send email to the Jow Forums adminstration complaining about the lack of rules enforcement throughout this board. It's getting ridiculous.

>Samefagging
You seem butthurt that people actually use a social media platform to be social

HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

Attached: 13385400943126.png (1021x554, 100K)

>Polish last name
That explains the mental handicap shitpost on a mental handicap social media platform.

Mind you, at least OpenBSD gets $3850 more than the fag who sells coffee mugs for Haiku.

>using deprecated religion

how does BSD (Open) manage services

Using rcctl.

Using that for my own corebooted OpenBSD system with dwm. Works flawlessly.

Just like how most ports on OpenBSD are deprecated

It’s one of the mods.

i'm pretty sure stallman himself has acknowledged that he may have aspergers and was never diagnosed

Can we make this into a /bsdg/ instead of JUST Obsd? Free and Net have several interesting features and use sets.
Better yet, it would be better to make a /aosg/ (Alternative OS General) where people can discuss BSD, Solaris/Illumos, Plan9, etc

Attached: 1554588722578.png (800x741, 175K)

look at this
openbsd.amsterdam/servers.html
this is amazing. non bloat and minimal as hell.

>The images are coming from a different host, they might trigger your adblocker.
What; is their OpenBSD install so limited, that they can't even host small-footprint images on their own server?

>Alternative OS general
Like ReactOS? It's technically deprecated Windows for poorfags.

I think you're better off just integrating everything BSD into its own thread, everything Linux into its own thread, Windows to its own thread and macOS into

>Free and Net have several interesting features and use sets.
What about DragonFly?

We can make a thread called /npcg/ for Non-POSIX-Compliance General and lump every non-POSIX-compliant OS in there. This will make the iToddlers feel lonely and lump them with the Inspur Cucks.

Don't use Seabios with a X220. It has a bug that causes AHCI disks to not show up.

Don't forget that Linux is non-POSIX compliant as well.

See Inspur K-UX, Adélie and EulerOS are all Linux distributions that fully meet POSIX standards.

>Damage control
All of BSD and most of Linux is non-POSIX, so they both get lumped with Microshit, ReactOS, Haiku and all the other hobby OSes like TempleOS. The POSIX Linux distros you listed can get wrecked with macOS.