Just got first programming job after 9 months unemployment

>just got first programming job after 9 months unemployment
>spend a month working on current project
>boss says code takes too long to run and it needs to be at least 1000 times faster
>no idea how to make it run faster
Do I just put in my 2 weeks?

Attached: 1533028164985s.jpg (250x221, 10K)

Make sure you use using statements around objects that inherit IDisposable

Hmmm what language user?

Probably creating objects in loops when you aren't suppose to.

>Do I just put in my 2 weeks?
if you're going to give up that fucking easily, then, yeah, quit now because you clearly don't have what it takes: eg: dive deep and see if you can figure out how to do this.

Just blame everything on some other part of the project (database schema isn't normalized, sysadmin is wasting resources, old hardware, etc.). 99% of the time there's some significant issue, and even if it doesn't affect you it'll at least draw the heat away.

next time make it slow on purpose and then fix it.

profile the code, see why it's so slow

this guy works

Profile and optimize

find the piece that takes the longest time, 99% of the time it's a bottleneck.
usually you can't just make it substantially faster by optimizing, probably the problem is a brute force algorithm, which you should replace with a more time efficient one.
sometimes it's I/O.

tl;dr: profile it, elliminate bottleneck

skaters gonna skate
true tho

Yep. Blame DevOps for not provisioning the correct resources for your project. Blame QA too for not having enough automated end to end test coverage and performance testing. Blame product for not setting proper performance requirements of your app.

trips confirm

People need to listen to QA more.

How does one profile async code though?

what lang

Scala

This is why Big-O is important.
OP is probably doing something stupid like checking if an array contains some element millions of times.

are you that retard who writes O(n^19) loops at my workplace?

A poo toook ur job

scala? just use c!

This. C is the master language and is only slow if your an absolute retard and don't know how a computer works

find profiling tools for your language