Career Thread

I've made it boys. Thank you for the career threads and tips along the way. 2 years ago I was a security guard making 10 dollars an hour. Ive got my first tech job a year and a half ago at a call center helpdesk for 15 dollars an hour. Now I'm going to a law firm for what comes out to $24 an hour.

So ,
>age
>state
>job title
>salary

Attached: Made it boys.png (720x736, 222K)

Other urls found in this thread:

su.dk/English
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>$15/h
If it is after taxes, thats doubles what a senior software developer is paid in southern EU right now.

In Southern Europe nobody works anyway

Im in a state with a low cost of living. Its 15 before taxes, but I actually switched to third shift and made an extra 2.50 an hour for shift differential pay. So I would provide IT support to Indias and the UK. Some France/Japan/South Korean/ and Germans as well. So it would be me, a translator, and the european customer on the line. All for some "free" support a microsoft partner is providing to help with migration.

Any technical writers here? I was a csci major for two years before getting burned out on coding and switching to English with an extensive focus on technical writing. Getting into the tech field isn't my only considered option after school but I am open to it.

>27
>shitty eu country
>system administrator
>25k€

>24
>Dublin, Ireland
>IT Maintenance Engineer
>€23.75/hour

4 weeks mandatory paid holidays, with an additional 2 weeks given by the company

>100k
>manager at wendies

Congratulations. How did you go from security guard to your first tech job? What certs or courses did you take?

>22
>CA
>recruiter
>$300k starting

Attached: 1563907564165.jpg (1092x1935, 240K)

>31
>London
>Engineering Manager
>£70k

I can just about afford a broom closet in zone 3. Am I winning or losing here bros?

there's no way they didn't suck their way into those jobs.

$44hr + $88hr for overtime shifts
Plant operator at a nuke power plant

not bad for a 2yr mechanical engineering degree

How's infosec? Seems like my least retarded option for a discipline with my program, I just want a decent worklife balance, reasonable stress and comfortable pay.

Also as much as certain other board are ruining Jow Forums, at least career/uni attention whoring is reasonably contained unlike /sci/

wa
submarine nuclear propulsion plant operator - reactor controls
$40000

>18
>Denmark
>Student
>402$ a month of passive income from the government
su.dk/English

Their job is to attract nerds. They don't gave to suck. They just have to look good on LinkedIn, take phone screens, and be outgoing.

Sr. Software engineer
180k base,
Bay area

> Slavic Pajeet from Eastern Europe.
> Test automation fag
> ~8.5$ / hour

Congratulations, NERD! N-E-R-D!

Meant to add -- 100k bonus between stock and cash

I applied for at least 35 jobs. The job I finally landed stated in the job ad " Will train " so they were expecting people with no experience. I didn't have any certificates or even a degree.( I still dont have any. ) The work experience made a huge difference. After a 1.5 years experience and updating my linked in/ indeed , almost everywhere I applied had phone interviews and I had 5 actual interviews before I landed this job.

I was getting quite discouraged and was about to abandone the job hunt until I get my associates. Luckily I didn't stop looking.

HR is already a majority female field

My college has a navy engineer program for subs. It seemed very interesting but my enlistment just ended and dont want to go.

the job itself is cool, the bureaucracy and bullshit you have to deal with to do literally anything is not.

gratz op.

>22
>uk
>gamedev (programmer, junior 1 year exp)
>£23k

Attached: 1405688876055.jpg (597x472, 66K)

I've got a phone interview for a junior software engineer position tomorrow, how do i appear somewhat competent?

Attached: 1446173190136.jpg (311x376, 120K)

Data engineer, $80k base atm (I get a pay band + market re-eval bump next month), 6% 401k match + EOY 19% 401k profit sharing bonus, EOY 8-10% bonus and quarterly 2% bonuses.

user my starting salary as a shitty webdev was more than that 10 years ago. You know you're fucked forever in gamedev?

I do it cause I enjoy it

A lot of my uni friends currently earn about £30k starting and that's soon going up to about £35k, we did the same degree and all got similar marks, i could happily move if I wanted.

I may switch around soon in a few years but for now I'm having a lot of fun

(plus the starting wage for a junior game dev is *especially* shitty compared to middle-weight and lead game dev jobs where the salary gets far better in comparison)

>28
>North Carolina, United States
>Senior Developer / Lead (Entirely all backend development)
>$125,000

I really enjoy the autonomy and freedom my job provides. I just hate having to work with so much shit code that is left over from before I started and when the company was a smaller startup. Luckily we are actively working to unfuck our code and refactor out stack to be less shit. It has just been a slow process.

Attached: 1558047642346.jpg (1088x855, 272K)

I hope you enjoy it because you're much more likely to burn out than to make it into senior roles.

You're somewhere up north at least so you can afford to live?

Yep, moved up north.

I'm not too worried about burn out since I spend a large majority of my free time doing gamedev on personal projects, too, as its how i prefer to spend my time, but time will tell

>31
>FL
>Sr Developer
>$82000

I just want to be a NEET.

I'm jealous
I love rewriting shit from the ground up
And backend is my favorite

>age
>state
Canadistan
>job title
Remote software engineer
>salary

Attached: your_anger_only_makes_my_smug_folder_stronger.jpg (439x392, 31K)

>careers thread
Time to get depressed, I wish I had high IQ or was born in America. Careers here are shitty, Msc in STEM makes about 80k USD, median. Thats before 30-40% in taxes.

At least uni is free but dear god do am I failing at that too

>32
>TN
>Any Job I want, Math PhD
>300k starting

Attached: file.png (640x427, 351K)

PM
Eur 80K base

Though it gives me anxiety to know how little one can make working for somebody. Guess I have to launch a platform where people can sell their used underwear, bath water and shit whilst you are sitting on your ass, becoming a zillioner on commissions.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 00.41.29.png (828x1394, 1.67M)

The problem is nothing was documented. So most of the time is spendt trying to figure out what the fuck it is supposed to do. To make matters even worse, most of it is written in Python which has a dynamic type system. This makes it next to impossible to tell what the fuck is going on since their is no type declarations for any data structures.

Attached: 1562806118504.jpg (500x500, 34K)

>26
>Upstate NY
>Student/Software Dev Intern
>$20/hour

Attached: tostinos.jpg (1280x719, 116K)

Is gamedev as shitty as they say it is?
>long hours
>shit pay

Anyone? Also how are sysadmin/analyst jobs? Kind of curious since right now that's most what I'm learning but it seems like unnecessarily stressful nonsense

Just b urself, also be sure to ask them questions.

By those criteria, yes. Typically you'll be working longer for less.

I'm willing to do that because I genuinely love my job, but if all you care about is working 9-5 and making a living then you shouldn't get into games

>29
>Germoney
>Sec Analyst in a CERT
>61k before tax, 36k € after tqx

>23
>california central valley
>remote web dev
>80k

Languages?

>31
>WA
>Sales
>50k

Kill me.

Node, and golang if I can help it
Start in a week

Attached: haHAlulululuha.jpg (675x450, 42K)

>21
>new zealand
>software support engineer (I do random shit, mostly development but also maintenance and i suppose in the ballpark of really brainlet sysadmin stuff)
>US$33.5K/yr

I was told i would make 40-45k US by my university

what a nice wagie you are

What's it like being homeless in SF?

Attached: 1524379385427.gif (300x424, 2.56M)

dude is 50k even enough for one grown man to survive in WA wtf

NY
Sr. software security consultant at a law firm
$130,000 yearly

I come here sometimes to offer people job advice and whatnot. If you drop your email and tell me why I should help you I'll consider mailing you an invite.

IN
sr. software support engineer
~80k/y

been in the industry under four years and have a beer fridge at my desk, so i can't complain

Attached: 1562455558360.jpg (653x490, 41K)

NY
Web dev

NH
Software Engineer

What did you do before and how did you get in? I ask because I'm around 30 and looking to get in.

Where are all these 100k software jobs for juniors? I've never seen anything like that.

Just post your advice here sperg

Attached: BonbiBonkers.backbon2.png (927x777, 991K)

This is within the City Centre, right or did you get extremely lucky?

SoCal
Software Engineer
$80k

can someone in Sydney give me a software job, pretty please?
I'll work for pennies(cents)

Attached: 1562633247343.jpg (600x725, 65K)

I met a guy at last year's C++ conference and they ran a 4 man algo trading business (1 researcher, 2 programmers and a guy who used to work at an investment bank). He couldn't have been more than 30 years old and he has made hundreds of millions of dollars. Puts my remote job to shame :(

>tfw IT Support Analyst II in midwest making 42.5k

Attached: 1322193461219.gif (480x271, 2.05M)

>22
>canada
>dropped 50k/year job for starting a math major
>4k in my bank account left

Why do euros make such garbage money? I see them shit talking Americans like “haha you guys don’t have healthcare for free”. But when you look at wages they make and taxes taken out, the majority of you guys are living in poverty by American standards. For example trade workers where I live seem to make more money then tech jobs in Europe. For instance pipe fitters(kinda like plumbers) where I live make 45$/hr with free healthcare, dental, and full retirement(no contribution needed the company pays into a retirement account in addition to your wages that gets you around 60-70k per year for life after retirement. This wage barely makes you middle class where i live. Yet in Europe I see people making 30-40k in software jobs, then get fucked by taxes. That’s what high school dropouts make here. You guys are basically third world compared to here, amazing euros have the gall to shit talk Americans when you are all living in poverty. Also, why are you all living in poverty? Anyone know?

>23
>So Cal
>100k
>Software Engineer

i grew up poor and struggled through college but now it feels like I made it.

Attached: D78B92C2-D4C4-4807-AB5E-16831A009F61.jpg (1200x800, 63K)

Move somewhere with a high cost of living and you’ll find them easy

Grats friend, were in a similar boat. I was slinging pizza for $12/hr for 3 years. Got my AAS in cybersecurity now I'm getting $17.50 at an MSP as a tier 1.5 (I'm a tier 1 and split tier 2 duties with my boss while we look for an actual tier 2.)

>32
>Work from Home (USA)
>Sr. QA & Automation "Engineer"
>100k
Pretty comfy but desu I miss going into an office and seeing people, meeting friends, etc. After almost 5 years of WFH my social skills, which were already kind of degraded, are slipping even further.

>100k
>CA
You're still poor though user.

>IT support analyst
>50k p.a.

I feel I'm being had. I've got a physics PhD, work actively on scientific satellite missions, and go home with 57k p.a.

At least I like my work ..
and I'm totally not lying to myself.

No offense man but that sounds like shit money for a tech job. That’s like unskilled labor money, or a job at a warehouse or something. Hopefully you live in a low cost of living area

Similar offer as an EE tech. Except I'm salaried non-exempt so I can get overtime. I've been at the job for a few months now and it's pretty good. I'm actually legitimately enjoying the work.

I'd never post my offer letter though on the remote off chance that someone recognized some tell that gave away the company and that somehow came back to bite me in the ass.

how far are you from the beaches?

are you OK with basic phone bitch tech support?

Its different than helpdesk but theres a lot of it anyway. It's like a career path to sysadmin type job so this kind of pay is what I'm expecting until I get some experience and certs.
Unfortunately it's not a super low COL area - we just bought a 1k sq ft house for 220k. Nice neighborhood and house but it's not a new house by any means.

I know what you mean. When I am not working I get really lonely too, and depressed over time. However being in an office(or any workplace) 40+ hours a week is too much imo and wears me out. I’d love to find a job where you worked from home half the time and worked on site half the time. That would be perfect. Getting out of the house, making friends, possibly meeting girls, socializing is important imo. It’s why neets get so depressed a lot of times

He got lucky and worked hard
Don’t feel bad user

>22
>VA (cheap area, not DC)
>Data Engineer/Cyber Engineer
>92k

CA
DBA

How the fuck do you afford that house on 17 an hour. I make 30 an hour and I couldn’t afford that(well I could but I’d be broke).

>eastern Europe
>$2/hr working in IT
CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

My wife makes 15.50/hr. We currently pay $1,300/mo rent. This mortgage will be $1,322/mo. Fucking Californians are buying up the real estate in this little town so locals are getting priced out. Its not like this area even has any industry that can sustain locals, it's just tourism and a little bit of manufacturing. Given tourism is the key, richfag Californians move to Seattle, buy houses here and convert them from affordable rentals into Airbnbs and VRBOs.

>24
>bay area
>code monkey
>150k

just jammed out a bunch a certs (comptia, microsoft, etc.) and did helpdesk for a year or two and made a name for myself because i could talk to people.

not to sound like too much of a faggot, but it helps to be able to hold a conversation with clients and know somewhat what the fuck you're talking about in laymen terms, which you can take you a long way.

three and a half years ago, i was unemployed on this board begging for job help after i got my certs looking for recommendations, but it took a few months and worked out eventually. sounds gay, but just be a somewhat competent and approachable person and you'll get by alright.

Bullshit, you don’t really make 2 dollars an hour right? I have always wondered how people who make a couple bucks an hour manage to afford shit like tvs, smartphones and laptops, those things for the most part aren’t effected in price by what area you live in. Saving up to buy a 1k laptop making 2 dollars an hour seems impossible. Like, you would have to get a 5 year loan for a laptop lol.

Damn dude you and your wife combined make about the same as I do and I don’t feel like I could afford 1300 a month for rent. Good luck in getting a raise man hope things work out for you. I live in Vancouver btw and my brother lives in Seattle. Fuck traffic there

>bay area

Dear god I feel bad for you user. If you're looking for a way out lemme know, I might have a job for you that's around that salary range (150-180).

its not ideal but i suppose its just my starting salary and its only up from here. my tech stack is comfy though and work is fun

lol jesus, alright that's nice enjoy your life :s

Seattle area here too. We're currently saving about 4k a month towards a down payment for a house, hopefully next year...
Of course knowing my luck, the market around here will finally crash the minute we get one.

>the northen beaches?
I'm nowhere close to there unfortunately

>are you OK with basic phone bitch tech support?
at this point i'd be ok with anything as long as it's in the industry

Attached: 488606CC34344B4AA60BFFDED8649860.png (344x398, 189K)

What is your degree if I may ask and GPA if relevant? I'm hoping to do something similar with my physics degree from UC San Diego once I finish Winter quarter 2020. I'm just hoping to bring my GPA over 3.0 when I finish...

Ontario
NEET

I feel bad for zoomers. Because hiring is becoming so automated, anyone graduating in 2020 and beyond will most definitely have to go through a GPA screening. It's over for you son.

Australia
Biometric shit for government
100k base + 20-30k based on overtime, on-call and bonuses

Norway
Ventilation fitter
23USD per hour.

No formal education is required though.

Attached: two-ventilation-fitters-installing-a-ventilation-pipe-BR9F64.jpg (1300x956, 150K)

Sounds cushy, mechanical engineering technology degree you mean or what?