Tell me why people wont move to reactos when is beta released?

Tell me why people wont move to reactos when is beta released?

Attached: 827.png (680x638, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reactos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can it run software that doesn't run on Windows XP but does work on Windows 7 yet, like say, the latest version of Firefox?
How good/bad is its drivers support? Can I install a Windows 7 or 8.1 driver on it and have my GPU working correctly?

ReactOS won't run anything that can only run on newer Windows OSes. Its chief goal is to reverse-engineer Windows XP.

security practices from 3 decades ago
linux with wine exists

>How about Windows Vista™/7 programs and drivers?
>The present compatibility target for ReactOS of Microsoft Windows Server 2003™ (NT 5.2) does not mean that features present in later versions of Windows NT™ based operating systems will not be implemented in ReactOS. Work is continually done to implement newer APIs or to provide for their future implementation.

In other words, it won't run anything that can ONLY run on NEWER Windows OSes. How illiterate are you?

>In other words,
Coming Soon (tm). It's not fully out of the table to make software that only runs on newer versions of Windows compatible with ReactOS (probably leaving out of the question things like UWP), but it's not a priority either.

>How illiterate are you?
Funny.

>It's not fully out of the table to make software that only runs on newer versions of Windows compatible with ReactOS
It is if it won't run on WINE properly.

Nowhere in that specific part of the FAQ is WINE mentioned. You're bringing it up yourself.
ReactOS doesn't fully utilize WINE, but it does use code from it and 2 or 3 other sources as well, if I remember right.

In any case, WINE runs any Win32 program, so as I said, Windows 7 levels of compatibility are not the priority, but they're still on the intended features list. Compatibility won't be limited to Windows XP levels like you said earlier.

Because it was outdated 20 years ago.

I didn't say that it's strictly for Windows XP compatibility only. That's why I called you illiterate.

I said that they'll aim for programs that are still compatible with XP as well as newer versions. That's what you keep getting wrong. The reason being that it's still compatible with XP and that they don't have to reinvent the wheel by reversing Windows 10's kernel.

>I didn't say that it's strictly for Windows XP compatibility only. That's why I called you illiterate.
>ReactOS won't run anything that can only run on newer Windows OSes.

As I told you earlier: Funny.

As I told you, illiterate. Please learn to read before you try to refute facts.

>I said that they'll aim for programs that are still compatible with XP as well as newer versions.
>As I told you, illiterate.
What you are failing to understand here is that ReactOS WILL aim to run programs that are compatible with newer versions of Windows alone, as long as they were made using the Win32 API.

It's really funny to see you calling me an illiterate, when you've been proven wrong from the very beginning.

>What you are failing to understand here is that ReactOS WILL aim to run programs that are compatible with newer versions of Windows alone
>as long as they were made using the Win32 API.
You truly are illiterate because that's exactly what I said. I said that they're aiming for programs that work on XP as well as newer versions.

The Win32 API is designed to work with XP through to 7. That means that every program made for Windows 7 that works with this API is meant to also work with XP. It's really funny to see how illiterate and autistic you are; it's like you refuse to get a 2nd grade education.

>The Win32 API is designed to work with XP through to 7.
And what you don't seem to understand, considering how you're still arguing with me, is that it will also run software that doesn't run on XP but does run on modern versions of Windows.

>It's really funny to see how illiterate and autistic you are; it's like you refuse to get a 2nd grade education.
Right back at (You).

>is that it will also run software that doesn't run on XP but does run on modern versions of Windows.
No it will not. The Win32 API isn't supported by 32-bit Windows 8, 8.1 or 10 anymore; those OSes require you to run Win32 API programs in compatibility mode, by right-clicking their executables and setting them to run in Windows XP mode.

>>is that it will also run software that doesn't run on XP but does run on modern versions of Windows.
>No it will not.
Yes, it will. That is a direct effect of the efforts that are going to go into implementing newer APIs, a task stated in that piece of FAQ quoted earlier, APIs used by modern software, APIs that are not compatible with Windows XP.

If ReactOS didn't intend to be compatible with Windows 7/8.1 software at the very least, it wouldn't receive even half of the attention it currently gets which is small enough.

So can you explain why it is that a huge number of XP and 7 programs designed with the Win32 API can't run on Windows 10 without compatibility mode enabled? And how would ReactOS solve this issue with cross-compatibility across different versions of Windows, while not reinventing the wheel?

>why it is that a huge number of XP and 7 programs designed with the Win32 API can't run on Windows 10 without compatibility mode enabled?
Because those programs were made to run on older versions of Windows specifically and wouldn't run correctly on newer versions of Windows unless you indicated to them (via the compatibility mode) what versions of Windows the program in question is supposed to run.
I'm not seeing how relevant that is here, however, as there is software like the current versions of Firefox as another user asked up there, which will simply not run on Windows XP due to files and APIs that are missing, but that are not missing on newer versions of Windows.
That would be one example of software that doesn't work on Windows XP, but eventually (if it doesn't already work), would work on ReactOS.

>And how would ReactOS solve this issue with cross-compatibility across different versions of Windows, while not reinventing the wheel?
Including all the necessary APIs for the programs to run...?
That is basically what Microsoft refuses to do in order to push their newest shiny versions of Windows down everyone's throats. They make software incompatible with older versions of Windows to create the false illusion that the software in question could never run in older versions of Windows.

I don't work on ReactOS though, so I suggest you to go to the forums of the project and ask there instead.
reactos.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

>I'm not seeing how relevant that is here
>which will simply not run on Windows XP due to files and APIs that are missing
You just answered why it's relevant... Especially when one of those missing APIs is the Win32 API, which is the key to producing XP-compatible programs, regardless of their incompatibility with Windows 10.

As for Firefox 6x not working on XP, that means ReactOS would have to reinvent the wheel by reverse-engineering more than just those APIs that are present in Windows 10; they'd also have to reverse yet another kernel altogether.

>That is basically what Microsoft refuses to do in order to push their newest shiny versions of Windows down everyone's throats
I'm glad you have at least this much reading comprehension to see what I was implying. Too bad you're wearing rose-tinted glasses, though. Enjoy your hobby OS.