Raspberry Pi suggestions

Raspberry Pi Foundation LLC employee here...
What would you like to see in the next Raspberry Pi SBC?
We want to hear from you!

Attached: DF731C93-112C-4300-9907-FF054B985D78.png (620x350, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

riscv.org/membership/4531/raspberry-pi/
lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/ThinkCentre-M715q-Tiny/p/11TC1MT715Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a cpu that is not vulnerable.

Panini press peripheral.

entirely free firmware

A "Western Heritage" edition, before western civilization gets totally annihilated by based govern imposed sharia law, gay killers and women rapists.

Attached: 1563757016084.png (600x606, 89K)

Maybe make your USB-C ports actually work, niggers

Attached: D64C768B-498F-4D76-87D5-7051D2E0EC82.jpg (640x471, 66K)

Honestly an exposed PCIe port, but that's perhaps a bit expensive. Alternatively, a USB-C port that actually fucking works.

PCIe.

How about a proper EFI on top of Coreboot instead of booting from a fucking file on an SD card. That might be nice. Make it boot from mSATA or USB instead. Also, it needs a clearly defined front and back. The current layout is retarded. Put the microUSB, two USB ports, and Ethernet in the back and two USB ports and the audio jack in the front. This is how I would use it on my desk at home. I don't want some shit jutting out of the sides like some failed abortion of spaghetti.

Mini usb power port is a menace.

Some built-in flash storage would be nice so I can actually use them for projects that need reliability. Can't really do anything serious with an sd card.

Its pretty decent as is, just make it faster.

stop promoting homosexuality

+1

Seriously fuck Broadcom.

I want to see rpi compete with the sopine clusterboard, i.e. an updated sodimm pi and a cheap switch to plug them into (ideally, a 1u)

Attached: PINE64-SoPine-Cluster-Board-Large.jpg (4160x3120, 1.78M)

how does that cluster work? does it see one sopine module as a one core or what?

>A USB-C port that actually works
>More than 3 units in stock in New Zealand of the 4GB model
That's my suggestion

> in stock in New Zealand
Order from somewhere else then, dumbass.

Switch to 7nm ryzen embedded apus.

Attached: file.png (1035x661, 288K)

More powerful raspberry pi zero W.

Quad core Raspberry Pi Zero. Better cooling for the next main board and maybe an official cooler for the Pi 4B. Throttling seems to be a real problem for the Pi 4B. Ideally switch to RISC-V but I doubt that will ever happen.

Yes

What interesting can I do with a Pi and an RTL-SDR dongle?

able to play fortnite @ 1440p 60fps

This plug allow you to boot from USB without a microsd.

Allow me to also boot directly from ext4 without fat32.
Include RTC and DC battery headers with lipo charger circuitry.
Has optical audio output.
PCI-E x1, standard graphics card style heatsink mounting holes.

they are all individual computers. the clusterboard is just a network switch essentially

better specs so n64 emulation wont lag. I got better results on Odroid xu4.

Nah, what you really want is better emulators.

Proper BIOS with firmware source code released. No binary blob at all.

Could they just make their own SoC? With the volume they ship and a cheaper node like 28nm or 14nm it shouldn't be hard.

>switch to RISC-V
Why?

I have a wireless router that only supports 2.4GHz. Would it be possible to use a Pi to connect to the 2.4GHz Wifi and then share it as a 5GHz AP? I do understand that doing this would affect the speeds, but I have my reasons.

Hardware that isn't from Broadcom.

Barring that, your resignation letter or possibly a suicide note.

Maybe just your home address.

>tripnigger
>weeb
>reddit spacing

you might as well end it now

Attached: 1556899428181.png (600x842, 142K)

>frogposter

This.

4 improved speed, more ram, though the dual micro hdmi is dumb, no one cares about using dual monitors on a rpi. one single normal hdmi again. even if you are trying to get into the desktop market, no one using a pi for desktop are going to use dual monitors. waste of space/money. aren't usb 3 backwards compatible? like using a usb2 device in usb 3 will just work at usb2 speeds? so make all ports usb 3. maybe sata ports?

okay so to recap:
fully free hardware/firmware.
back 2 regular hdmi, singular.
next model should be 2/4/6gb ram
1gb doesn't cut it anymore.
4x usb 3.0 instead of 2/2
sata ports?
maybe some onboard storage if it wont increase price.

but out of all, most important, FREE FIRMWARE. no proprietary blobs.

Poe
8gb ram model
Second sc card slot
official case with hole for fan instead of official case that is shit

>so make all ports usb 3.
They will cost more money and take more space because the circuitry is more complicated. The Pi team wants to keep the price at $35 for the basic model and the size of the board the same as before.

yet they added 2x micro hdmi instead of one regular hdmi? I mean I don't know anything about circuit boards, circuitry, lanes, but seems like a little bs, but doesn't matter, thats not a must have. like i said, the only thing i truly want in the 5, is free firmware. rest doesn't matter as the 4b fixed the only issue i had with my 3b which was the ethernet/usb sharing same bandwidth, besides that 3b is perfectly fine, so a 4b with 4gb is literal perfection for me, except the fact i have to get an hdmi adapter now, which would make for me, the only other addition to free firmware being back to one singular regular sized hdmi port.

>..and PoE capability (via a separate PoE HAT add-on).

And pay 20% more? No?
Especially when RetroPie isn't supported properly yet?

RISC V

Pi zéro W with a better CPU and more ram (competitive with an old rpi3), 4 USB type-C, 1 microHDMI
> For 9$, if it's more than 12$ nobody will buy it

Got my fan today.

Attached: IMG_20190725_153020.jpg (1954x1352, 739K)

The hat sucks, and it's overpriced, and huge. It's not the same dev and it has bugs if you use USB...

Do they have a decent version of Android with hardware accel yet? I'd love one for a car computer and maybe HTPC.

Looks gay.
Especially that heat shrink on the fan wires.

>Especially that heat shrink on the fan wires.
Feel free to peel them off.

Open source firmware, faster I/O on the SD card, maybe a SATA port if that's possible. Open sourcing the firmware would be the biggest thing though.

Raspberry Pi 4 is good, though full docs on the upgraded VideoCore VI would be nice.

Two RISC-V processors attached for real time tasks would be nice. The RPi cores are not under a real time OS normally, offloading to real time processors is a good solution. TI does something similar so we know the idea has legs.

DSPs are also nice tech that hobbyists have not yet gotten into.

A small FPGA would be nice, something that allows simple experimentation would be sufficient. FPGAs have not yet reached the hobby market but this would be a good way. One million gates are not required, just something to interface with, perhaps a simple soft core CPU. Large enough to make a DSP wold be nice.

Tangentially, not on that board, but at least with interfacing, I would like to see a monochrome unfiltered camera without Bayer pattern, for placing your own filters and experimenting with multi spectral and hyper spectral imaging. Sensitivity from 400 nm to 1000 nm, preferably 1500 nm would be nice.

Fast 4 channel high resolution audio ADCs and DACs would be nice for acoustic processing, could well be combined with FPGA, DSP and the RISC V real time processors. Would be useful for acoustic direction finding and simple software defined radios (SDR).

Attached: haven1-i_see_stars-01.png (4800x3600, 880K)

neat
had clocked 1 of mine
got stressed cos it overheated
gave up on that. sold 1 with neat heatsinks id put on it tho.
if they overheat u can't get in to reset it

oh it overheats and requires a fan? that sucks

Any CPU that doesn't overheat under high load is badly designed.

Only under high load.

Bring it to Brazil

like after how many minutes of 100% CPU usage will it shit the bed? Without the fan, ofc

What's the problem with buying Pis in Brazil? FCC certification is not good enough for you?

>official case with hole for fan instead of official case that is shit
This.
The official case has awful thermals.

RISC-V FTW!

are you guys working with the lowrisc project?

1gb flash for the os

They are Silver member
riscv.org/membership/4531/raspberry-pi/
Chances are they are working on a larger chip.

Risc v

Tbh I'd just be happy if they updated to be an A72 core, basically a single core version of the rpi4. That would unlock a lot of capabilities for it.

Alibaba announced a new RISC-V processor today.

Attached: Screenshot_20190725_180659.png (956x703, 413K)

If you're going to make shitty posts in every thread, you should at least remain anonymous

Why RISC-V is important?

It's open source.

What improvement it brings other than being FOSS?

I want one that is able to play Netflix videos, I don't think it's possible yet. Also MPV as the default player with well tweaked hardware accelerations.

extremely cheap.
most times you end up wanting one of these bastards it's for a trivial purpose that it's actually overqualified for.

It won't be monopolized by Americans and their allies.

Respects Your Freedom certification.

Attached: ryf.png (809x809, 96K)

(mini) Display Port. Get rid of that proprietary HDMI shit, as you now need Adapters for everything anyway you can use the better connector out of the box.

They use HDMI because it's much, much, much more common.

ARM's JV with China resulted in no less than 99 percent drop in result. Not everyone is convinced ARM will survive this gutting. RISC-V is then a way to avoid depending on a dead company.

They use micro HDMI. Never seen that shit before. You basically need an adapter 100% of the time. Using a mico HDMI to full size HDMI adapter is just as inconvenient as using a DP to HDMI adapter. Also DP is an open standard and you don't have to pay license fees.

>A small FPGA would be nice, something that allows simple experimentation would be sufficient. FPGAs have not yet reached the hobby market but this would be a good way.
I can't stress this enough - if there's an FPGA on board the entire toolchain has to be freely redistributable, if not FOSS. The Novena Kosagi folks (Bunny Huang et. al.) ran into this problem a few years ago and it led to the FPGA being a potato for most users. If you need to download some 6GB tarball that wraps an entire IDE and sign a three page license agreement to use the thing it might as well not exist.

More of an accessory idea than an SBC idea: offer an 80s micro style keyputer case that has proper cooling and cable/daughterboard management for all the ports, pins, and antennae, and make sure the keyboard has mechanical key switches. The two microHDMI ports should be exposed as full sized HDMI outside the case.

I've seen at least two dozen hobbyist takes on this general concept but they've all sucked because nobody has the experience or the industrial bulk order capacity to do it right for less than like $3000. You could sell them at cost plus 80% and they'd still sell like crazy for people willing to use the Pi as a desktop.

Also, on the software side, throw the Haiku OS guys a bone and help them with driver support for the Pi 4, including wiring up GPU accel support in the kernel if you have the time/money. If the Pi 4 and later get ARMv8 Haiku with full hardware support it's going to be a massive differentiator for both the RPi and Haiku.

Stop making unstable trash

This +1. The pi kernel blows. The only driving force for updates is capitalism... we've moved all our SBC projects to the rock64 ecosystem because at least we can use a mainline kernel + modules.

>Allow me to also boot directly from ext4 without fat32.
Devil's advocate: UEFI also uses FAT32 boot partitions.

>the entire toolchain has to be freely redistributable
Of course, the idea was educational so it has to be available to be useful.

What's wrong with the USB-C port?

First of all, the raspberry foundation should communicate clearly and tell people if they plan to release a new rpi0 in the near future
That would be appreciated

The input from Odroid is greatly appreciated.

Im working in a small store and supposed to replace our failing 20 year old IBM thincenters.
I want to get some efficient minimal PCs for the job – they need to run win ten, firefox and chrome with multiple tabs simultaneously and have ethernet. What should I get, Pis are too weak I think?

Do they actually need Win10 or just the ability to log in via AD? How many tabs?

They dont actually actually need it but it will be impossible to get them to accept anything else. Up to 5-6 tabs on firefox that is dedicated to run a storage and order management suite that is provided by a third company plus a couple of random chrome tabs for everything else. Its a bookstore, it doesnt need to play no videos or games or anything but it needs to be snappy with the browsers

Get the little brothers of what you've already got then.

lenovo.com/us/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/ThinkCentre-M715q-Tiny/p/11TC1MT715Q

>sub $400
>Ryzen 3
>quiet (probably useful for a bookstore)

give up on the micro sd.
use emmc
also usb bootable

I hope no one hear thinks that OP is actually from Raspberry Pi Foundation and not larping.

Pi Zero that doesn't require the use of a million dongles

>4chin poster

Attached: 25068900.png (226x226, 6K)

That's not what the zero's are for. The zero and the compute module are for deeper embedded situations where you don't need a full size Pi.

A hole to stick my pebis into

The audio jack should serve fine for that you fag.

There was a fucky wucky in the first wave of Raspberry Pi 4's USB circuitry. A resistor was missing from the data lines, so it identified itself as an analog sound device. Analog sound devices don't require power, so any device that followed the USB C spec refused to supply the PI power.
It's an embarrassing mistake for such a trusted hardware design group to make.

Maybe for your pencildick

Attached: Hund-Lustige-Maske-Humor-Pet-masken-Halloween-Hund-Mund-Maske-der-Anti-biss-Anti-picking-Anti.jpg (800x800, 91K)