Audio tech redpills

Planar headphones are a meme, not just STAX. Planar magnetic drivers are decades old technology being sold at a premium price. They do not offer any tangible benefits compared to a proper dynamic driver headphone.
AMPs are a meme. Their only purpose is to increase the output volume of an audio device. They do not make the sound of said device any better. Any effect that might come with expensive amps such as tube amps is placebo and could be replicated under Windows/Mac applications.
Open headphones are a meme. Nearly all of them lack in the low end and they usually have harsher highs while also leaking an immense amount of sound and, most of the times they provide ZERO isolation.
Vinyl turntables are a meme. No, there's no distinguishable difference in quality NOR DETAIL from a decent 320Kbps V0 MP3 or FLAC file from a brand new well mastered vinyl disc. For fuck's sake, that's WHY we migrated to digital CDs goddammit. The only noticeable difference (and a major drawback) is that you'll have to deal with the classic vinyl crackling noises (depending on your turntable and your record).

Attached: 5b1c83af361e4f2808d5296892a119cf.jpg (2508x3541, 831K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/logitech-g935-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro/801/440?usage=4997&threshold=0.01
youtu.be/2V6YN-mshmY?t=1269
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

which headphone should I get?

Under 80:
Creative Aurvana Live (CAL)
Over 100:
Sennheiser HD 58X

you got btfo from /hpg/ again, eh kid?

That place has been garbage for months now. I haven't bothered with it for a long time.

What about HD6XX? looks nicer and sounds a little better.

>Planars are a meme
True
>Stax are a meme
True
>Amps are a meme
False
>Expensive amps are placebo
True
>Open Headphones are a meme and lack in the low end.
False, you can get ones with decent bass.
>Open headphones provide zero isolation.
You don't seem to understand why people get open backs do you?
>vinyl turntables are a meme
true to some extent, lots of people know the quality is lower, but it's a nice physical, tactile experience.

quit talking to yourself faggot

>sounds a little better
Pretty subjective there, but they do have very very slightly less overall distortion.

>AMPs are a meme
Fine then, hook up your headphones straight to a DAC or anything else that solely outputs a line level signal
Oh that’s right it sounds terrible and has no bass
Amplifiers are not just about making things louder, amps are about providing sufficient current to power or drive speakers (or headphones since they are just tiny speakers)
The only reason you can get away with using headphones on most things like a phone or PC is because those devices do provide some amplification that is good enough for headphones people often use but sometimes it’s not enough for headphones with a higher impedance

>buy 150Ω+ impedance headphones @ 90-100ish dB sensitivity
>low volume unless you use an amp
>have to carry an amp with you all the time
>buy portable amp
>portable amp battery dies
>have to listen to headphones @ low volume
>buy 300Ω+ headphones
>realize your shitty portable amp can't drive them
>realize that the options are mostly non-portable expensive ones
So smart!

But amps can legitimately produce less distortion than other amps.

Open headphones can be EQ'd for bass easily. Lack of isolation isn't a problem for many people.

Tubes are for people who like that kind of distortion, but they are literally less accurate. It could probably be replicated with DSP though.

Vinyl is a meme, but it's for people who want a physical artifact for their music and a more ritualistic process for listening to it.

CD quality FLAC is worth it over 320 MP3.

EZ just buy good low ohm headphones for on the go use, nice high ohm ones for at home, use a desktop amp like JDS Atom or Schiit Magni 3.

This.

How deaf are you that a regular DAC doesn't provide enough power for speakers strapped to your goddamn ears?

Also to add to this, there isn't much point getting expensive headphones for portable use, with how much outside noise there is it makes it too hard to be able to properly appreciate the sound anyway.

Did you read his post? he explains that it's not just the volume but not powering high power headphones enough can result in worse sound. He is saying if you plugged it straight into a DAC sure it would sound good, but because your headphones are underpowered it isnt gonna sound that good.

Ah yes, the EQ meme. The thing I forgot to mention in the OP:
EQ is a meme. It's only really worth it if you're doing music production and want to either:
1 - Compensate how your headphones sound in order to make them more flat (gutting some bass in bassy headphones for instance) just so you can produce with proper expectations and orientation as to what the song should sound like when reproduced in regular devices.
2 - Adjust your track when mastering.
Thing is, there's no universal solution for a software EQ on all platforms (desktop systems/mobile). Not only that but most EQ applications are only either 10/31 bands (or even less). Even if you have your EQ properly set up on all platforms (your desktop/laptop/smartphone) you still will have to deal with the fact that an EQ won't solve your headphone not being ideal for that kind of music.
You're better off buying 2 or more headphones with different sound signatures.

Here's your "REDPILL":
You don't NEED anything more than RP-HT010 for inside
You don't NEED anything more than RP-HJE125 for outside

Most decent headphones don't even need an EQ anyways.

redpilled my cousin who thought he spent a lot of money on a 300 dollar pair of beats and wouldnt shut the fuck up about it when i showed him my ADX5000

I got these. Am I in the clear?

Attached: beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm.jpg (1000x1500, 184K)

No. Sell it and buy the 880.

Volume == power, it's literally electricity driving an electromagnet. The electrical energy is converted into movement of air and the cone minus electrical resistance. The only way to balance the equation of needing a DAC is if you're using wires made with fucking tungsten or some other high resistance metal, or the headphones are the size of a subwoofer (greater surface area moving larger volume of air), or the cones are made of fucking lead (more mass to move).

Not the one you replied to but that's just because you're increasing the gain on all frequencies. And thus, you can hear such frequencies better.
There's nothing magical about it. An AMP is and AMP.

Yes its good literally just use EQ for the treble peak or elevated bass if you need to, distortion is great.

s/DAC/AMP/
Also left out another option: you blow out your ears.

Like said, AMP == more energy a.k.a volume blasted out.

Idk if it's just me but my Logitech G35 w/ 7.1 virtual surround sound, sounds better than my 770..

>But amps can legitimately produce less distortion than other amps.
>Tubes are for people who like that kind of distortion, but they are literally less accurate. It could probably be replicated with DSP though.
The ear is a really bad distortion sensor. Take a look at a masking curve sometime and see what I mean. The typical dominant products are the 2nd and 3rd order. The overtones for a sinusoid fall into the zone of the strongest masking. When you play music, you make more harmonics and intermodulations, but these will generally be dominated by even more musical frequencies that create more masking.
Audio tube amps don't normally go for the metal guitar sound, much more subtle. Too subtle oftentimes, and the distortion is not easily heard. You may be more likely to pick on other things induced by lack of feedback such as the noise floor, roll-off, voltage divider issues in the frequency response.
Simulation of guitar amps is tricky, but it is getting much better. These are highly nonlinear systems, made complex by the amount of self-interaction. Convergence is simpler for typical audio amps.

That's because the DT770 is a really crappy headphone.

Yes that is true more power does equal more power. That was not my point

*volume

You probably just prefer the overall FR of the G35.

The higher end Logitech headsets unironically aren't too bad.

rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/logitech-g935-vs-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro/801/440?usage=4997&threshold=0.01

But some amps and shitty DAC's produce distortion outside the masking area and can reach up into audible range (100db or higher). You don't have to spend all that much money to get something that keeps all distortion products below audibility, but many products at all price ranges don't meet these thresholds.

There's also channel matching issues and output impedance irregularities which are also common design failures.

Equipment that meets these baselines should be considered bare minimums.

>output impedance irregularities
The voltage divider problem. That is how you describe what results.
>breaking masking
Even something like hard clipping takes several dB to be detected.
Not everyone gets this, so this snippet should hopefully put things in context.

youtu.be/2V6YN-mshmY?t=1269
Go to 29:50 to skip the background and the demo.

DACs and amplifiers can produce very audible distortions, particularly badly designed class-AB and class D amplifiers, and R-2R style DACs. Higher harmonics breaking masking are the easiest indicator among classic techniques, and the statistical version demonstrated in the video is definitely another interesting way of examining the problem.

lcd2 close back is godlike. dark and warm is a quite pill!

Attached: LCD2-CB_Thumb.jpg (1000x1000, 293K)

Why do most of the music producers on youtube wear closed backs?

I made my 650 to sound even more warmer and it includes more bass as well..

They gotta get those shill money brah

When I was younger I really wanted the thump thump sound of bass, even got a subwoofer for my car. Now I can't stand too much bass and find it annoying. I'd turn to bass down on equaliser level of I have to.

>Planars are a meme, they're actually objectively inferior to dynamics
>Stax is not a meme
>Amps are not a meme
>Open headphones are not a meme
>Vinyl is a meme, it obviously has much lower quality compared to cd
Fixed