Redpill me on HDD

are they actually more reliable than ssd? I personally do not trust things that are all digital in terms of reliability, but fags say that ssds are 100x more reliable than hard drives as there are "no moving parts".

redpill me /gl

Attached: western-digital-wd10ezex-1tb-sata-iii-3-5-desktop-hard-drive-54.jpg (900x800, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/extreme/82086-build-your-own-sata-hard-drive-switch/2
amazon.com/s?k=hdd power control&ref=is_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you buy HGST datacenter drives they'll last until the end times.

this, they just keep going and going

Attached: keep-going.jpg (1284x1504, 148K)

I've never seen SMART actually predict a failure.

Both HDDs and SSDs can fail at any time with no warning. I've seen both happen. You don't get out of making backups by picking which thing is more reliable.

SSDs failure modes are known and predictable, HDDs often fail suddenly and catastrophically

the reliability depends on what SSD you buy. for example an A400 won't last as much compared to a 860 PRO
also if you want to be so autistic about endurance that it surpasses all realms of autism present in this universe, go for an intel optane ssd.

But I thought WD bought HGST and shut it down

Refurbs and WD still sells rebranded HGSTs

>slower
>louder
>bigger (3.5" ones)
but
>cost less
>more storage
>more reliable
>much easier to recover data
Most people only care about the first 3.

Generally HDDs are reliable as long as you:
1. use them for long term storage - don't spin them all the time - moving parts simply wear in use
2. keep them in cozy temperature
3. make sure they're protected from physical trauma

there hasn't been results on some ongoing 10+ year test with powered retention/corruption HDD vs SSD
in read-only situations, I think (only think) SSDs can retain their data near-indefinitely so long as they're powered

>much easier to recover data
This is probably the best thing about HDDs. Even if the platters themselves are physically damaged, it is possible (not cheap though) to recover at least some data. If there's any physical damage on your flash chip, you can just wave goodbye.

Yep. I have an external HDD that I keep anything important on. Rest of my system is 2 SSD's.

also, SSDs have a TBW rating (terabytes written rating). Good SSDs also let you check the terabytes that you've written to the SSD.
For 1TB versions:

KIngston A400: 300TBW (99$)
Crucial MX500: 360TBW (109$)
860 EVO: 600TBW (149$)
860 PRO: 1,200TBW (279$)
Optane 905P: 17,520TBW (1,141$)
DC P4800X: 110,000TBW (3,000$)

I've seen ssd corrupting files and usually they're not for long term storage, in the beginning they used to corrupt files after a few weeks or months with no power, now this problem is supposedly solved but makes me think about very long term storage (more than 2 years with no power). But yes, I use an SSD as my daily external storage since it can't break if it falls and it's faster.
3.5" HDD are still my go to for storage, they cost next to nothing per GB and the only weak point is the spin motor that can break after a many years. Also when one falls or is hit while running r/w heads can collapse on the disks and this kills the HDD.
Magnet disks can keep datas for decades but the mechanical weak points means that you must handle then with care and keep them in the same place for security.

Also backups are a thing and the lower cost of HDDs means they're better for that.

Never trust a single USB 2.5" HDD with 4 TB from Amazon, they might sound as the comfiest solution but you'll eventually break it. Been there, done that when I was young, lost 4 years worth of memories. Also that's the n.1 tech fuckup I usually see, that's why big disks and backups are the only way

>ssd's get bit rot over time unless the cells get a refresh. this should be handled by now by the controller, but yeah - cheap ones might not.
>ssd's suck for write intensive workloads due to cells wearing out
>price per gb is bad.

they are great as a l2 ARC if you cant afford a lot of ram. or as a vm data disk, since you would be supprised how bad disk io is with lots of vms + the overhead of the vmdk / ovf containers. for a nas, shuck some 8tb+ wd portable hard drives since they are guarenteed to be a 5400k rpm relabed red drive, and then just raidz2 (raid6) / raid 10 them all (if you plan on expanding out your datastore over time / need better write performance / dont mind the 50% disk capacity after raid vs 80 some odd percent)

Flash cells wear if u write on them. They lose charge over time. They are okay longterm storage if powered. HDDs have better data retention if unpowered. I never had a dead ssd but multiply dead hdd. never trust a single point of failure. SSD is more shockproof.

yeah, most ssd's are rated for about or over 1000 g's if your on a laptop and questioning this, just slap an ssd in it and be ok throwing your faptop arround

You meant to say 6000000Gs

2 hdds in raid 1

never used ssds because people said they are limited in writes/reads and the price per gb is shit.

when you delete a file on ssd, is it possible to recover?

WD is using HGST tech in their own drives now.

>price per gb is shit
Removing the bottleneck write speed alone makes up the difference.

> when you delete a file on ssd, is it possible to recover?
It's easier to just not be stupid.

Helium is fine, they said...

Attached: okay.png (838x68, 6K)

The speed is something you just cannot buy other than with a SSD, then there's the silence, the ruggedness, the lower power drain, the small size, the lightness, less heat, the much lower latency, no spin-up delay from sleep... and so on.

I heard HDDs hate being spun-up(?) over and over. That it's better that the HDD is powered on and "awake", rather than it getting the opportunity to spin down and then up again, assuming you use the HDD a lot. So I'm using KeepAliveHD to keep it from sleeping
I think there are some settings in windows that are supposed to keep it from sleeping too, but they don't work for one of my externals at least

AFAIK datacenter and NAS drives have a mode where they spin slowly (~500-1500 rpm) to use less power, but don't actually stop.

Something on the PCB board is likely to give out after several years of daily use due to problems like corrosion of contacts and the weakening of joints with RoHS compliant lead-free solder. Trying to replace it afterwards can then prove to be a difficult endeavor.

For mass storage still a better option. But is a matter of time until we see SSDs with 3, 4 TB of capacity get selling at a reasonable price.

This.
You also have to sing to them gently and sacrifice a small goat every full moon to please rust gods, otherwise CLIK CLIK CLIK CLIK CLIK

It works better if you monitor it. I've seen remapped / pending sectors appear a long while before actual failure.

This, I'm still somewhat skeptical until we've seen how long these newer drives last. However WD's CEO retired after the merger and HGST's boss took over and runs WD, so I'm somewhat optimistic.

Attached: wd_red_hdd_678_678x452.jpg (678x453, 40K)

HDDs are less reliable these days. Their only advantage is data density on the cheap. SSD can beat HDDs at data density but at an insane cost (Ultra-dense SLC/MLC are not cheap to make).

HDDs consume the most energy when they start-up and it puts the most stress on the bearing like any mechanical device.

Corrosion is only an issue if you are in humid environment over a long period of time (decade or so) unless you got a leak (you got bigger problems)

generally i use both
hdd as external hard drive to store all my files on
ssd for the os and games/programs

My computer does a great job idling and turning off my backup drives. I like to rotate my main hdd with a new one making it a backup every once in a while. I got one 1tb still running after 10 years.
It's scary how cheap these drives have gotten over time.

>I personally do not trust things that are all digital
You better don't use any computer then.

is there anyway to keep a second HDD asleep when I boot until I tell it to turn on? I reboot quite a bit so I think that would be a healthy thing to do

seperate power switch for that hdd.

how do I go about doing that?

I've been paranoid about SSDs for the longest time, especially the "write life" and shit back in early 2010s. I still archive a lot of my stuff on WD Blacks / WD Reds and they have maybe 7 years of power on time while on my SSD I go out of my way to
1. Disable Hibernation in Windows
2. Move temp files to hard drive
3. Change all the download/music/desktop default folders to hard drive
and have the SSD be boot and some games/programs.
My SSD has had 4 years of on time and has only used maybe 5% of it's "predicted write life" so I'm starting to come around I guess. It's an 850 Evo.
They're reliable today, right? Are datacenters using them now? I tried buying a dell poweredge server and only 2.5" drive bays were available and that pissed me off

extremetech.com/extreme/82086-build-your-own-sata-hard-drive-switch/2
They can also be bought: amazon.com/s?k=hdd power control&ref=is_s