Rust

Hello bros
What's your thoughts on rust? It seems really nice and I want to start learning it. Is it true that it can replace all of my C/C++ programming? The community looks alright and the syntax looks very clean.

Attached: motivation.png (520x520, 261K)

very nice ooga booga

Rust and C++ are shit. Just use C99.

Could you explain why I should do this? This meme always pops up where I should be using lower level languages as a medal of honor for the 'true' understanding of code. General consensus around here is that package managers are for the weak. Why do you hold your opinion or are you just memeing?

It won't replace C, because it's not a C replacement.
It will replace C++ however. C++ is shit and it's time that it dies.

I agree, thank you

No problem, have fun with Rust!
I recommend learning using the official book, since it's well written.

Yeah just starting to read it now. I really seem to like no starch press because they generally know how to write well, the added benefit of a well written table of contents too. A lot of authors seem to miss this.

I understand the appeal to enterprise devs but I like C so whatever

What I really like about their online book is the fact that I can adjust the color of the book to a darker one (they offer 4 themes IIRC), therefore I can read it at night without having eye strain.

C++ is better

Why?

It's not, it's a shit language with decades of legacy crap and a shit syntax. Any sane person who works with C++ code can agree with this statement.

No nigger. C is dogshit tier and only brought up for le memes.. If you do use it, enjoy not being able to do anything in it. In which case, it's only good use is that after learning it, you became grateful that other languages exist so you don't have to give yourself a literal handicap while codemonkying away in a hellish environment.

Fuck off.
Rust will never replace C because it doesn't try to be C, C is intended to be a simple, minimalist language with a focus on low-level programming.
Rust is more of a C++ replacement, where you want the extra data types and abstractions with extra safety and without getting into the headaches of C++.

Ive worked with some C++ code, dependency building and management is a bit of a pain in the ass but generally it was pretty comfortable for me and has served me well though a few internships. I think it's time that I step to rust though because it's more likely to be used in the future (although learning javascript would be more value/time (but js is for cashouts/the weak)). I don't particularly like spending dev cycles on learning a framework that is so large you have to simply trust it.

I started with the standard C books, it's really nice for the first steps into programming and has helped me grasp lower level concepts, basically fundamental (which people get caught up in because of 'purity' = goodness). C will always be great

What would you guys say is the biggest headache of C++?

I'm not your bro you fat ugly dumb attention whoring anime pedo degenerate

>What would you guys say is the biggest headache of C++?
The standard is extremely bloated.
Not only you have the old horrible C++, they attempted to remedy that crap with a 'modern' standard (C++11 and above), where you end up with two versions of the language, the older, horrible C++ and the newer, bloated C++.
And you're not even guaranteed to be working with the modern one, because it's so new (about 8 years old), many legacy code will still be written in the older version of C++.
C++ is a mess and it's time that it dies, once and for all.

dilate basement boy

>Is it true that it can replace all of my C/C++ programming?
it is, but do you actually want that?

I think rust is a nice addition to the manually managed memory languages space. rust has lots of nice things going on for itself. But lots of problems too, and I do not want rust to be thew new standard language to use. I really believe we can make better than that, and if we're going to replace something as big as C/C++ it certainly ought to be better than that, because it will be another 60years commit.

>better than that
What parts of the language do you want to be improved, specifically?

>What would you guys say is the biggest headache of C++?
too many pitfalls and other weird/surprising corner cases.
I don't believe in the bloated argument, because sepples has managed to (mostly) only make you pay for what you use, most C++ projects limit themselves to certain subsets of the language which make it very manageable.

Why do you care about others opinion?
Are you that shallow?

the biggest would be the borrow checker
I do not think the BC is the solution to memory safety. I do not know what the right solution is desu. Or maybe it is the right way, but the BC just doesn't go deep enough into Linear types. Again, I don't really know. But the BC is mostly too restrictive for no reason, and lots of people just end up circumventing it.

there are other small little things, but I guess no language would be perfect for everyone, and I fear it would sound too much like nitpicking.

The only alternative to the borrow checker is garbage collection, which is an old concept that introduces many problems and extra overhead.

you're either ignorant or an incredibly dishonest shill

generally because a few people are a lot older than me here, I wanted to know if it's good/used in industry. Why should I put in the time into finding out something is bad when someone else with experience can tell me it's bad and save me the hassle.

Im also shallow
Sorry for breaking the android v apple circlejerk threads