Why did it not become as widespread as USB?

Why did it not become as widespread as USB?

Attached: fire wire.png (480x480, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/the-rise-and-fall-of-firewire-the-standard-everyone-couldnt-quite-agree-on/
youtu.be/3IBM6DZcF7w
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's that app?

Mactoddlers

Proprietary

Isn't USB also proprietary?

I don't really think firewire was ever really meant to do that. It was meant as a high-speed interface for stuff like cameras and HDDs, and USB just got the job done for most people while being easier to implement for hardware manufacturers (in terms of IP). And as USB developed, the necessity for firewire just kept diminishing until USB 3.0 killed it.

But that doesn't mean it failed, it did its job perfectly well at a time when USB couldn't quite fill that role, and then went away after it became unnecessary.

it was a fucknugget

No, it's universal

Apple wasn't the only company to develop firewire

USB overtook it in speed and versatility fairly quicky w/ USB2.0, the daisy chain on Firewire is great tho, i miss that

>firewire
apple faggits

It's IEEE1394

Nobody cares, you autist.

Their logo was garbage

Attached: .png (2400x2400, 78K)

Jews

And the ports looked like garbage too.

Attached: .jpg (600x600, 53K)

Apple demanded 1 dollar per port

It's UNIVERSAL SERIAL BUS!

Intel killed it because it could operate without a computer as a host, reducing the need for purchasing chips

an alternative to something that didn't need an alternative

iToddler BTFO

Attached: iTODDLERS-btfo.gif (540x304, 1.77M)

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/06/the-rise-and-fall-of-firewire-the-standard-everyone-couldnt-quite-agree-on/

I had Firewire on my Windows XP laptop, dipshit.

i have firewire on my motherboard have never used it

What is it?

Well, first of all USB did need an alternative in the early days when transfer speed was shite, and second, the SCSI interconnect DEFINITELY needed an alternative back when Firewire became a thing.

so? every bloddy consumer part (yes even the ones for windows, like my external harddrives and the addin card for my pc back then) called it Firewire, as you can market that much better than IEEE1394

just like "Serial port" is alot more common than IEEE1298 or whatever it was

Attached: USB.jpg (610x403, 270K)

>Serial port
is a generic description
>Firewire
is a cancerous marketing term for Apple to artificially differentiate themselves from a commodity standard

It wasn't meant to be. Too bad I used it a lot.
Also similar case with Lighting. It is better than type-c, but Apple.

EVERYONE called it Firewire, you moron, not just fucking Apple. Are you this autistic in real life, going around spewing alphabet soup instead of just saying "firewire" like a normal person, and then wondering why everyone thinks you're annoying?

Doesn't lightning use the USB-C connector now?

>EVERYONE called it Firewire, you moron, not just fucking Apple
You had to license the word Firewire to use it to describe your IEEE1394 device.
Go check old copies of PCmag or Computer Shopper. They all listed their ports as IEEE1394 or they had a disclaimer mentioning that they used the term Firewire under license from Apple.

Wait, nevermind, I got it mixed up with thunderbolt. Not sure how Lightning is better than type C, unless transfer speeds have gotten way better since I last checked. Unless you meant the connector?

Simply as a port, not transfer speeds. Type-C feels very cheap, even compared to micro-usb.

So let me get this straight.

You're still so butthurt about Apple's trademark shenanigans from over two decades ago that you're going to cry and whine that everyone should call it IEEE1394 instead of firewire, even though pretty much everyone already knows it as firewire. And because of that connection to apple, you think everyone that does call it firewire is an "itoddler" - because there's no possible way people could just be saying firewire because it's easier and everybody recognizes the standard by that name, no, it has to mean you use exclusively apple products and still suck jobs fucking dick years after his death.

Thank you for that. Genuinely. I am now going to be able to derive a deep, sensual pleasure every time I type or read "firewire," knowing the sizzling, burning rage it induces in autists like you.

FireWire.

butthurt itoddler detected

Now that you mention it, it is probably the best connector I've ever used just in terms of ease of insertion, having a satisfying click, and feeling robust and sturdy. The fact that it's just one solid piece of metal probably helps with that. But shouldn't that also mean that the pieces that risk breaking off are in the phone you're connecting it to rather than in the cable, which is significantly cheaper to replace? Not that I've heard of lightning ports breaking or anything.

You don't get it.
This is a large part of the reason IEEE1394 failed

iTurdlers BTFO

Cry all you want, it's still Firewire.

Attached: dog.jpg (1777x999, 115K)

Which, Apple killed. What a waste.

>ascribing your butthurt to me
apple niggers eternally niggers

>ascribing
Weeeeew lad, maybe you should go back and finish high school instead of posting here.

b8

Attached: 1563976986692.gif (480x286, 1.71M)

That icon sure brings me back.

Attached: IMG_20190626_203008.jpg (1600x1200, 281K)

>Despite rising Mac sales, Apple's financial situation remained dire. The company needed more income. After being informed of IBM's hundreds of millions in yearly patent revenue, CEO Steve Jobs authorized a change in FireWire's licensing policy. Apple would now charge a fee of $1 per port. (So if a device has two ports, that's $2 per unit.)

>The consumer electronics industry was outraged. They saw it as untenable and unjustified. Intel sent its CTO to talk to Jobs about the change, but the meeting went badly. Intel decided to withdraw its support for FireWire—to pull the plug on efforts to build FireWire into its chipsets—and instead throw its weight behind USB 2.0, which would have a maximum speed of 480 megabits a second (more like 280, or 30 to 40 MB/s, in practice).
thx steve

It was less supported and widespread and cost more to implement. You also couldn’t hot plug it which is pretty shit when computer used to take 1-2 minutes to reboot.

Bottom line costs. IEE1394 was always going to be more expensive then USB. It was overkill for throughout most of its life with the overwhelming majority of the market.

>You also couldn’t hot plug it
Well, a lot of people are going to be surprised to hear that.
We've been hot-plugging it since Day 1.
In the days of 10BaseT it was faster to copy a file to a FW drive and then to plug the drive into the target machine.
You could boot from FW and daisy-chain drives etc together; the only limitation was power draw.
You could also use FW as an IP network.

>MacBook G4
Very nice. Back when Apple didn't suck.

Steve Jobs was a straight up asshole. I don't blame Intel for crushing FireWire.

>Back when Apple didn't suck.
But that didn't stop you dissing Apple at the time.

>Steve Jobs was a straight up asshole.
So was Gates and Ellison and a host of others.
That doesn't stop you from drooling over their photos.

bumpan

thread theme: youtu.be/3IBM6DZcF7w

So was pretty much anyone else with a spine in the industry.

Firewire was fucking based. RIP

Desktop wintel always had an aversion to scsi for some reason.

CEOs have to deal with other CEOs. Nearly every one was a sociopath. Iff you weren't you got eaten.

Only if you were a pleb who couldn't afford it

comfy

It's a shame FireWire died, especially so early. Thunderbolt was a worthy replacement but we're just now reaching a point where it's going to be on non-Intel devices.

Because it was trying to exist at the same time as usb as something else, instead of being integrated into it somehow.

License fees
USB 2.0 was "good enough"

*Conspiracy!* Jobs did the former so the cost cutting PC makers would not bother, making Macs the default choice for media professionals.

Attached: dacs.jpg (900x600, 63K)

Firewire 800 would like to have a word with you
t. Mac Pro 2007 owner

Get an external HDD case with a SSD that had Firewire 400
Worth it

based

USB isn't ironically not, "universal."

Attached: usb-tutorial_connectors.gif (650x627, 128K)

I've owned nothing but Macs going back to G4 days but I've never used a single Firewire or Thunderbolt device since they're always massively more expensive than USB. AMA.

Why the fuck did you own macs?

big if true

Attached: 5F9C4636-EBBF-40E2-B567-0E9245D999C3.jpg (300x300, 13K)

But you could take any one of those connectors and rewire it to any of the other connectors and it would work.

>rewire

Attached: 1563116486528.jpg (1000x665, 140K)

Yes.
You could take any one of those connectors, cut the fucking connector off, connect the wires properly to another connector and it would fucking work.
Because the BUS is universal.

left-to-right
>awkward smile
>awkward laugh
>scared
>scared shitless
>grossed out
>turned on
>rapist
>rape

Sure thing, kid.

I am completely right.

They just work.

>>Serial port
>is a generic description
Serial ports were RS232 ports, both 9 and 25 pins, also called COM ports you insufferable zoomertrash!

Don't be delusional, he wasn't even born back then

But did you do something that exclusively required Macintrash?

Not having time to repair Winblows opr lettiong Winblows rape my hard drive and documents whenever it pleased completely blocking access to the computer for 5-10 minutes is all the reason why someone would buy a Mac.
It is also called having a job that not specifically about tinkering with computers.

he's right though, it's not "universal serial connector"

You can do the same thing with thunderbolt nowadays.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 119K)

>have to change to yosuba blue to read it
hello sir, can you please make your pictures work for all themes, thank you.
anti aliased text on a transparent image is NOT okay.

You missed the retarded plug the Olympus cameras use.

>isn't ironically not,

Attached: 1507023634343.png (645x729, 43K)

>anti aliased
user, I think you mean aliased.

or ethernet

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1920x1080, 430K)

He meant anti-aliased alright.

Attached: file.png (122x67, 3K)

>I've owned nothing but Macs
>AMA
Why can't you swim?

Applel licensing costs. That's pretty much the entire reason.

Why are you a homosexual?