/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

>Choosing, downloading, installing, activating windows / office
rentry.co/fwt

>LTSC 2019 ISO optimization & debloating
rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

>recommended windows software (infograph)
s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png (embed) (embed)

>windows 7 updates to avoid
pastebin.com/a1htBUby

Attached: windows10chan.jpg (1920x1080, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rentry.co/ltsc_optimized
zdnet.com/article/microsoft-accidentally-releases-then-pulls-windows-10-preview-release/
techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/
i.imgur.com/orYMOUn.jpg
pastebin.com/4zXnmWGm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Thanks

>share their experiences
I wonder was it 10 that made me an MS fanboy or was it Blizzard going to shit?
Maybe it was getting a job and having to work with macOS, iOS, Android, and shitty Linux stacks.

best windows distro?

LTSC, It's the most stripped down debloated version of windows 10 straight out of the box possible and is officially the stable release of windows that recieves no BETA updates.

After the install go to group policiy editor, disable windows defender, set telemery to 0 (basic), and force windows to notify you and get your permission to download and install updates.

I use ltsc with more group policy edits than this but that is a good start.

See >rentry.co/ltsc_optimized
Did it last week and love it.

Also

Attached: ltsc.jpg (471x436, 53K)

Use Pro and don't be a faggot like Chances are you, yes personally (You), user, should not be disabling updates. You think you know what you're doing but you really don't.

>disable windows defender
Why?

Attached: npc.jpg (500x541, 159K)

Pro is infested with bloatware and cortana spyware that unless you're really good with powershell and DISM can't be completely removed. It's also receives BETA updates like this little gem on a regular basis:

zdnet.com/article/microsoft-accidentally-releases-then-pulls-windows-10-preview-release/

Telemetry also can't be set to basic and updates have been known to rever group policy changes.

I'd use LTSC, but it doesn't support the newest hardware, right? I'm building a zen2 rig.

I wanna fuck win10-chan

hello frends

Attached: 2E0DCD36-98F0-4DE4-BA43-2AC4C87BB9D4.jpg (1920x1080, 247K)

>It's also receives BETA updates like this little gem on a regular basis
How fucking dense are you?
This was literally beta ring users receiving beta software
This has no relevance to normal Windows editions unless you willingly choose to be an insider and being an insider means you accept that you might get buggy untested software

frend

Attached: 1549700926135.jpg (1920x1080, 701K)

>I'd use LTSC, but it doesn't support the newest hardware
Where did you get that from? Post source.

Attached: 289690.jpg (225x350, 20K)

my LTSC is at version 1809 build 17763.557

Do you use Ryzen? Post specs, need to be sure.

Has the question mark at the end of that sentence escaped your notice? I was asking whether or not I can use the newest LTSC with Zen 2 processors. If it's possible, sign me the fuck up.

And are you using a Zen 2 processor?

He is probably talking about the scheduler changes which is only included in build 1903

It's possible to use Ryzen 2 on LTSC you just won't get the scheduler changes included in newer builds

Ryzen works on LTSC but it doesnt have what this dud said

Well shit. Which version of windows 10 is the least shit for using modern hardware and gaming then? And will I have to reinstall and debloat (optimize offline, win10debloater, o&osu) windows 10 every time M$ pushes a new meme update out?

>Which version of windows 10 is the least shit for using modern hardware and gaming then?
See >rentry.co/ltsc_optimized

Fren

Attached: Screenshot (17).png (1440x900, 1.56M)

If you really want that ryzen update for 1903 then go win pro. But honestly ryzen works regardless anyways and it'll probably be patched to LTSC sometime

It does NOTHING, except verify Windows Updates, which you for the most part don't want.
It also COULD be used to track torrent downloads, but that's another story.

>it'll probably be patched to LTSC sometime
When?!

Have there been more official Madobe Touko wallpapers released by Microsoft?

Attached: P1U7HBS.png (1920x1080, 2.68M)

buttslut

Attached: Madobe2015WinterWallPaper_01.jpg (1500x844, 421K)

>bloatware
Meaningless buzzword. It has barely anything preinstalled and that "barely" has no impact on performance.
>cortana spyware
Tinfoil autism buzzword. Cortana is one of the things that can be disabled with a single GP setting in Pro if you really want but the whole approach of "Cortana spies on me!" is genuinely stupid.
1) No one is interested in you;
2) Cortana has little to do with MS having full-time access to your microphone - if they want to spy on you, Cortana has nothing to do with it.
Hell, Cortana even sometimes disabled by default.

I can respect people being paranoic and caring deeply about their privacy but those people should not really be using Windows then. Only Open Source, no package managers, make everything yourself, read all the code first - only then can you claim you actually care about your privacy.
>It's also receives BETA updates
It does not. It receives major updates and security fixes. Major updates are generally pushed twice a year - LTS* does not get those. Security fixes pushed to LTS* just as often as they are pushed to Pro.
>ike this little gem
This update was not pushed to Pro, though. It was pushed to the Insider ring, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Insider is an opt-in feature and the issue described in the article you're linked is that even the "slow" ring got the update that wasn't tested enough to the "skip-ahead" ring, which is a limited-time opt-in.
Nevertheless, applying for Insider program implies understanding that things aren't guaranteed to be "stable". Amusingly enough, things tend to be pretty stable.
>Telemetry also can't be set to basic
It can. It can not be set to "Security" which calls provides MS with *marginally* less information but does not disable telemetry entirely.
The "basic" level is already not providing enough data for MS to properly fingerprint your device. Unless they are openly lying, of course.
>updates have been known to rever group policy changes
Two. Years ago.

Attached: Madobe2015WinterWallPaper_02.jpg (1500x844, 483K)

>shilling this hard
Fuck Linux!

Why would MS dislike Linux if they are openly adopting it with WSL, Hyper-V, Azure, and WSL2?
You have no idea what you're talking about and is generally stupid, user.

>connect pc to big tv
>windows 10 automatically sets the GUI scale to 150%
Magic.

it happens to me too, probably because windows assumes that you are distant from the tv

Yuu-chan is objectively the best Windows tan.

Attached: 60805D4C-CF89-4707-A79C-FA5164BEE86F.jpg (1920x1080, 438K)

Well yeah, what I am amazed of is how the os knows it's a tv and not a monitor. Maybe I'm just getting too old.

Not Nanami and her official canon thunder-thighs.

Attached: windows-7-madobe-nanami-wallpaper-preview[1].jpg (728x834, 108K)

There's actually some 2 way communication going on with DVI/HDMI.
Displays will report their manufacturer/model, resolutions they support, and modes they support. Windows probably has a huge list built in full of device models and what they are.

macOS has been able to tell screen size of a screen for awhile now, I assume Windows uses the same EDID data to determine scaling
My 49" 4k TV defaults to 300%
It's not just TVs though, Windows 10 will set a 150% scale on a 20inch CRT set at 1920x1440p

Does LTSC actually make a difference in terms of performance. Or is it just privacy?

The RAM usage numbers are sightly lower so I guess that would make it feel faster

Nanami is fine too.

Attached: 078E79A7-1E8E-45F3-84A8-C33287B99E57.jpg (2400x1800, 1.15M)

no bloat

We just discussed that LTSC doesn't have the 1903 scheduler update yet

When is the chromium transformation of Inori-chan going to ship?

Attached: 2FAB3815-07C1-40F9-BF51-489BDABF03A0.gif (500x281, 881K)

Just built my new PC and installed Windows 10 on my M.2 SSD in 10 minutes. God it feels great no longer having to wait for an hour or two to get it installed.
It'll be in a case soon. Had to fix the Bios issue on the b450 Tomahawk with the 3600X

Attached: Snapchat-1643569685.jpg (1800x3200, 1.82M)

Mainly privacy but on older dual-core systems with HDDs and slow internet: most people report a huge boost in performance as telemetry and cortana spyware tend to use a significant portion of HDD, RAM, CPU, and data resources on those.

hello, stax

Why would you need 1903 for? 1809 is good, too.

What 1803 are you talking about? I don't have 1709! Here's your 1703. This 1609 should be good enough.

Oh god oh fuck

wat

forgot to say
i come from win7 and never upgraded because it was too shady for me that they'd handout win 10 upgrades for free
i'm planning to put it on a new rig
how do i proceed?

Zen 1 or 2?

still don't know yet
zen 2 is the most probable but give me info on both paths

/fwt/ - fuck white trannies

based haha

tick tock 7 users you better update or I'll do it myself.

Attached: watch out 7.jpg (800x555, 79K)

subscribed

How did you get the start window customized like that? Some beta update or software?

how can I get my start menu like this?

It's StartIsBack++, check the bottom of the ltsc guide in the OP for a link

thanks

Appreciated

Attached: 1547276411768.jpg (480x525, 24K)

The gist is the 3600 is best bang/buck in general with it being on par with a i7-8700K in terms of single thread performance and on par with the 1800X in terms of multi thread performance. Unless you can find the 2700 for a bargain on places like microcenter the 3600 would be the bare minimum imho.

techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/

Also if zen 2, you'll have to put up with windows 10 pro for a while until LTSC 2021 is out

>3600 is best bang/buck in general
20% increase over 2600 for 70% more cost
i can get a 2600 now and upgrade to 3700x or 4700x in 5-6 years for roughly the same price of 3600
ok

>want to use LTSC
>dont understand anything in the guide
is this what I get for not knowing anything about software technology?

Attached: D667334D462944BF8E4DA1F2F94EC8CC.jpg (387x464, 28K)

I couldn't be arsed
Could someone upload their windows iso?

I know LTSC doesn't get new features updates right away but does it really not get hardware updates for years like this?

Better than a toothpaste TIM APU I suppose. You're probably doing the right thing, the GPU is always gonna be the thing you should invest the most in anyway.

Attached: pcbg.jpg (563x675, 46K)

what things you don't understand? it's very easy, it just takes some time

literally any step in the guide, I'll probably stick with pro

LTSC is meant to be unchanging, you get security updates and critical bug fixes nothing else
If you don't manually update to a newer LTSC release you will get no feature updates for 10 years after the initial release of the version of LTSC you installed
This is kinda why I don't like LTSC IMO, I look forward to some of the feature updates so I run normal Windows 10 Enterprise

You can reinstall future LTSC releases. I updated from LTSB a week ago and it was painless since I have my shit on other drives and reinstalling software is barely an issue.

Can you still download the POS updates for XP? Of course those have ended bhut can you still get the updates from April?

Your waifus are all shit.

Attached: windows_xp_tan_by_lorddiablo006 (1).jpg (640x480, 201K)

Wasn't sure if I should post this on the stupid questions thread, but this seems to be a Windows specific issue so I'll ask here.

Anyway, there used to be an easy away to download videos from Onlyfans where you could just right click > view page source and get the link ending in .mp4, paste it on the address bar and get the video from there.
They recently changed their pages so the .mp4 file doesn't show on page source. Instead I now have to go to "inspect element" and search for .mp4 in the HTML and from there I get the address ending in .mp4, but it only leads to a blank page.

The way I found to work around this was to get that link and paste it directly onto 4k Video Downloader, a software that is used to download YouTube videos, but some other sites also work on it. Surprisingly enough, some Onlyfans videos can be downloaded this way, but the majority of them I get a message about the filename being too large. You can see the message here i.imgur.com/orYMOUn.jpg (my whole range is banned from uploading files fuck hiroshimoot)

Even when I try to shorten the path or the filename down to one character in the save as window dialogue that message still pops up and I'm still unable to download the video. Can you think of any way around this?

If it helps you help me, here are two links: the first one works, the second doesn't. Had to do it through pastebin because Jow Forums was detecting as spam.

pastebin.com/4zXnmWGm

1.) Yes it does, nobody asked for candy crush and botnet cortana

2.) Cortana actively collects user input/audio "disabling" her won't stop her botnet ways.

3.) Those major updates are almost always buggy and broken in one way or another. Some of us don't want to be BETA testers for broken windows features, is that too much to ask for?

4.) need to read up on this more but I believe due to the nature of the LTSC target audience (ie medical equipment it collects significantly less data than windows pro and setting the lowest telemetry on windows pro doesn't actually do anything.

5.) Nope, home-pro users have been experiencing updates reverting group policy/registry edits this year too. It's barbaric to say the least.

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 13K)

what does win98 and win95 look like?

>5.) Nope, home-pro users have been experiencing updates reverting group policy/registry edits this year too. It's barbaric to say the least.
source on this?

What are some comands?

See for yourself. Install non LTSB/LTSC/Enterprise windows 10, "disable" cortana, windows defenser, windows store, and update. Your shits gonna get reverted back to day 1 install settings. It's even worse for home users who have no group policy editor and do changes through the registry and scheduler.

which chan is the blonde?

Fine I'll entertain
I use education which is a non LTSC edition
Cortona was disabled by default, education was like the only edition where you didn't even have the option of cortana, they have since allowed it in newer builds but I've never been bugged about enabling it
Defender is still disabled with group policy, it's the first policy I edited and it sticks between builds
I actually use the windows store so no reason to disable that
Even the telemetry GP to set it to 0 is still enabled

High rate of false positives
Not as good as other third party solutions
It's also more taxing, its impact can be definitely perceived on lower powered PCs

bitdefender, kaspersky and eset nod32 are all better by quite a margin on every single one of those aspects, just set them up so they're not annoying / don't fuck with anything you don't want them to fuck with.

Pretty much this, if you're too brainlet for common sense, windows defender is NOT the next best thing.

I've been using LTSC for maybe 4 months and a half and experienced no reverting stuff (I did see some of that on Pro). However the difference is, I'm not disabling much shit. I don't set telemetry to a security level, so I still get some of the updates, and I don't block every single thing I see, because that does break some stuff that I don't want breaking. The trick to using Windows 10 is to be aware that it is indeed a fucking botnet and that you can definitely disable some shit, but fucking around with updates and such is prone to leave you with an unstable piece of garbage. Microsoft is not known to let people decide what they want to do.

Attached: desk.jpg (1920x1080, 572K)

Well shit I read the original post wrong, my bad.

Memes aside

You realize that every single newer version is much more prone to breaking because you're essentially betatesting for these motherfuckers right? 1809 is still being maintained. It makes more sense to stick to a slightly older version that has been polished to the point it doesn't break stupid shit anymore than just to go with whatever is new, unless there's something really important in there. I don't know the impact in performance on zen 2, maybe it's worth it. But what else? Sandboxing shit? The xbox PC pass? A clear theme? That's all you get from "newer". IMO they should stop doing stupid shit and just polish it.

Not him but I have had it revert my UAC settings (I'm not disabling it btw) 3 times. Something that LTSC has never ever done to me. I'm the only one who does shit on my PC, I install the same software. I don't just wake up in the middle of the fucking night and turn the slider up. So yeah, it does revert settings when it feels the fuck like it. Maybe based on false positives, who the fuck knows.

This, it's petty but it makes me feel like a whore.

Attached: 1475445191873.png (174x200, 59K)

I somehow am still running windows 7 - just through not using a pc i left at home for uni. I had disabled security updates and all that shiz so it wouln't go into windows 8. Thinking of just going to w10 - do u guys recommend?will there be any problems with my files/video games downloaded? thx

>pic is how i feel rn

Attached: 1511347109485.jpg (660x495, 114K)

Best software for adjusting brightness on all monitors at once?

Attached: 1390939986927.png (874x789, 524K)

Lets be honest. Windows 10 AME is clearly the best since it comes telemetry free

Attached: AMEmp4.webm (768x600, 718K)

Aren't the creators of this Russian?

You're replacing a botnet that works with one that doesn't essentially