/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
The Year of Parabola edition.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: Parabola+Logo+gnu+bola.png (1489x2048, 444K)

Other urls found in this thread:

daphile.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=af_T0mRfnBY
feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/encrypted-swap-partition-on/
rncbc.org/drupal/node/2017
github.com/Airblader/i3/issues/112
github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md#user-content-data-being-sent-if-agreement-is-denied
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first 4 arch

Second for Arch

Parabola is Arch that respects your freedom.

NSA psyop. Enter the void

install gentoo

it's a testbed for a BSD package manager.

And that's why it's so good.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1501692229978.jpg (640x480, 53K)

>Audio.
Yeah, you can't really compete with Apple when it comes to convenience in that sector.
One have to truly hate proprietary software to work with music production in Linux like my brother did. He basically had to learn programming on his own to make the software available in Linux do what he wanted. Most people don't have the drive to do it.

sndio (pronounced sneedy-oh) just werks.

Why don't you use something more mature if you want a bsd-like system - say, gentoo, instead of some semi-obscure os with a meager userbase? It's like any other new distro except for its package manager whose advantages are not obvious/necessary for 99 out of 100 users.

There's no difference whether you're using OSS on BSD or ALSA on Linux, perhaps with JACK for audio routing on top of either of them, if the actual software running on top of them is lacking in features and polish.

Just because they are not obvious for you doesn't mean it's not superior.

Attached: 1558909004402.png (888x894, 653K)

Linux and audio/video programs for Linux are used in Hollywood studios, in Pixar, and are very popular in certain circles. Perhaps you mean a wider area of commercial audio, but I doubt their opinions are interesting. Apple to audio industry's wage workers is what Java is to programmers.

16th for deleted my Windows partition and repurposed the SSD for Linux storage

it's for birdbrains who can't master BSD but are too pretentious to use generic GNU/ Linux.

Agreed, BSDs are the only logical next step.

Absolutely, convenience cater to the mediocre.

>logical next step
step where?

Towards the final solution of the computing question

Shrek/Linux

Attached: 2177277327_1aedf983fa_o.jpg (500x650, 335K)

>the final solution of the computing question
Yep, and the icing on the cake would be shooting yourself.

You go ahead and dial 8 first

Sorry I don't participate in competitions of retards.

GNU/Linux*

Using KDE Plasma. Ever after I installed the nvidia driver, the desktop behaves weirdly. For example, first thing I noticed after I installed it, fonts became smaller, no big deal because I just adjusted them in the settings. But then I noticed all custom themes I tried had something wrong about them, also icons would often not change or only a few would change and the rest would be invisible until I rebooted.

How do I even begin troubleshooting this shit? Also how do I go back to the default driver (nouveau I guess)?

When will Linux finally be a viable option for people who enjoy video games?

now

I want to throw together a specialize distro to be used as a jukebox. Custom kernel config, mpd+ncmpcpp for main, other features like fs automounting, optional network pulseaudio server. no gui, no dev tools, anything not related for music playback. Optional web server for mpd remote control and optional scripting tools.
What would be a good base to use? So far thought of the following.
1. debian pure blend
2. slackware based
3. manually compile everything, static linking
4. using portage from a running gentoo to compile packages, using a minimal profile

Semantics. Let me rephrase that then. When will Linux offer the same level of performance in and compatibility with games and just werk without me having to fiddle with anything?

daphile.com/

When it becomes an OS.

What's the mixtape alternative you use?

>Semantics.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (625x625, 78K)

Hopefully never.

Your daily reminder: fuck Qube
In all seriousness am I better off trying to use XEN by itself or Qube
Looking for a desktop hypervisor solution

here. I uninstalled the driver with this command I took a note of ages ago

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
then
sudo apt autoremove
then
reboot

It seems to have worked and now I'm still using nouveau (checked with this command) lshw -c video

Anyone got a clue on why the weirdness happens with the nvidia driver and any way to solve? Like maybe I did something wrong when installing? I used a PPA that I remember worked the last time I used on Mint. What would be the best version of the driver to use on KDE Neon?

And indeed font is now slightly bigger and custom rice looks just fine.

ls -l

nvm i fixed it

Reinsalled the nvidia driver, then had to manually set my dpi to 96 as it was before. Now everything looks pretty good on the nvidia driver. Also I accidentally my post with reddit spacing, sorry about that.

$ figlet -f script

Have some uselessly cool ffmpeg jazz.
>smnething | ffmpeg -f tty -i - out.gif
or
>something | ffmpeg -f tty -i - -c:v libvpx out.webm
Should be self explaining.

Attached: linux | lolcat.gif (640x400, 38K)

How would I create a simple image? ffmpeg tries to create a series of images using out.png and fails.

Use imagemagick.

cowsay 'ImageMagick!' | convert -font 'Droid-Sans-Mono' -fill '#00ff00' -background '#000000' label:@- out.png

Attached: out.png (197x136, 3K)

nice

keep proprietary software out of my swamp

I enjoy watching Shrek..
on a piano.
youtube.com/watch?v=af_T0mRfnBY

what programs do you use to edit blueprints and .cdr files?

Any alternative to the horrible official Spotify client?

There is a terminal based program called "spotify-cli".

actually there are more. One is a terminal based control interface for the official client other is an unofficial client, but that requires spotify API developer access.

>using spotify
You need to go back to the reddit.

>telling a guy about a program I heard about makes me automatically a redditor and spotify user
Do the society a favour and fucking neck yourself retard.

How do you make xargs recognise aliases?
Stupid example that does not work:
alias cow='cowsay'
some program | xargs cow
I've tried the space trick (alias sudo='sudo ') that works with sudo, but it doesn't help with xargs.

>be my PC
>Gtx 970 w/ Nouveau
>screen tearing hell in xfce
>disable compositor
>perfect smoothness, no input lag, no screen tearing
Why??? How do I keep transparent terminalz whilst having none tearing?

Attached: whatareyoudoing.jpg (500x333, 19K)

Is there a way to record a browser window or other window when it is off screen, on a seperate workspace?

So i move program 1 to workspace 2 have it running. I open the recording program select the window and press start, then i can go to workspace 1 and continue on my way and it records off screen?

le ebin contrarian XD

I am trying an "encrypted swap with randomized key every startup" setup without using LVM since I like putting everything else in just one partition. The best I found was feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/encrypted-swap-partition-on/ for its simplicity. I found that it can be potentially dangerous since it might rewrite "sdaX" which can change during my activities and experimentations (the reason why I like one single luks partition for all my shit except swap). Any better way for this without using LVM?

I use obs-studio and it let's me select a window to record.

Attached: ss.png (749x614, 24K)

But can you load it off screen though?
To a workspace/screen that isnt being loaded on the main workspace?

xargs expects an executable. You can work around this using $ xargs bash -ic cow, but you should probably just not use an alias here at all.
You shouldn't use spotify at all.

Install compton. It should seriously just be shipped with XFCE at this point.

I tested it; it works like the way you want it to work

What are some commands?

cal

Qtractor 0.9.9 is out
rncbc.org/drupal/node/2017

bite'em, Buddy!

Free Software!

He asked for commands, not commandments.

it means that Qtractor 1.0 will be ready soon, together with Ardour 6.0. Major releases for Linux musicians

could anyone here help me install i3-gaps in pureOS? im trying to install it from source since it isnt really available and configure spits out

../configure: line 7010: syntax error near unexpected token `LIBSN,'
../configure: line 7010: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(LIBSN, libstartup-notification-1.0)'

what in fucks name does this mean and how do i fix it

I fucking hate Linux musicans.

why?

GNU/Linux*

What is the best distro?

Your mother's favorite.

gnu+linux

Looks like it's actually an error with the configure script. Do you have all the build essentials installed?

i think that i do. i ran build-dep i3-wm, isnt that all i need?

AFAIK the gaps thing needs an additional dependency made by the gaps guy. Try reading the instructions at the i3-gaps github page for building. Anything Debian should work for PureOS too.

turns out i was missing a package, xcb, so i installed it. sadly this did not solve my error, its still reporting as a syntax error.

Ubuntu.

There is literally nothing wrong with using Ubuntu.

Sure the vanilla Ubuntu (GNOME) includes a launcher to the Amazon store but it's easy as
sudo apt purge ubuntu-web-launchers
to remove

It doesn't send your desktop search keystrokes to Amazon like it did in olden days when Canonical was criticized for it.

i said fuck it and commented out the package check lines that were spitting out errors, now configure works properly, but when i run make i get

../../i3-gaps/include/libi3.h:22:10: fatal error: pango/pango.h: No such file or directory

what is pango?

this tbhh

I would add that Linux Mint is the best Ubuntu-based distro, with Cinnamon being the best DE for those coming from Windows.

>Pango is a library for laying out and rendering of text, with an emphasis on internationalization. Pango can be used anywhere that text layout is needed, though most of the work on Pango so far has been done in the context of the GTK+ widget toolkit. Pango forms the core of text and font handling for GTK+.
>Pango is designed to be modular; the core Pango layout engine can be used with different font backends.
>The integration of Pango with Cairo provides a complete solution with high quality text handling and graphics rendering.

Prolly because they use FOSS but expect money for their songs/skill

github.com/Airblader/i3/issues/112

Yep. The Amazon thing is gone. Now it has full blown telemetry.

>github.com/Airblader/i3/issues/112

>did the first steps under "Jessie" then switched to "Strech"
>i re-did it all from the beginning and it's all fine now.

where are the instructions for jessie? they are no longer on the build page. or, what were they?

Cute hedgehog.
whoami
id
alias
ping
su
sudo
apt-get
ls -la
cd ~
w
Fuck off applefag.
Good for u.
Says you.
It already is, many AAA games run on it, not to mention steam.
gaymerfag
It already is you moron.
Too late.
Linus stood upon the mountain and proclaimed Linux to be good.

>Linus stood upon the mountain and proclaimed Linux to be good.
fucking kek

I like Cinnamon, but I don't like that Mint changes the release name. For instance, Mint 19/19.1/19.2 are named Tara/Tessa/Tina when they're all really based on Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic. When you go to add a PPA, instead of adding the repo correctly set for "bionic", it instead sets it up for "tina" or "tessa" or "tara" and results in a 404.

Mint is kind of amateur hour, if you want Cinnamon it's easy enough to install it on regular Ubuntu and you don't have to deal with Mint's fuckery.

100% optional. I looked at what it sends and it was just useful stuff for Ubuntu to know about how people were installing Ubuntu. Debian includes popularity contest too as an opt in setting, it just lets them know how popular various packages are.

Attached: f7MLm.png (650x400, 34K)

>cd ~
bad post overall

Attached: 1561601940615.png (478x523, 14K)

>use compton
>massive input lag

Uhm, you forgot some things:

>ubuntu-report
- sends hardware informations
+ ubuntu-report -f send no
+ block access to metrics.ubuntu.com github.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-report/blob/master/README.md#user-content-data-being-sent-if-agreement-is-denied
>popularity-contest
- sends software informations
+ apt purge popularity-contest
+ rm /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest
>whoopsie
- can send crash reports
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ apt purge whoopsie
>50-motd-news
- sends informations, receives motd news/ads
+ set ENABLED=0 in /etc/default/motd-news
>geoclue/geoip
- connects to canonical servers at boot
+ gsettings set com.ubuntu.geoip geoip-url ""
>lightdm
- pings uccs.landscape.canonical.com at login
+ set Servers= in /etc/remote-login-service.conf

Ubuntu is almost as bad as winblows, install Debian.

If you're really that paranoid of a popularity contest you shouldn't be using Debian at all, install a meme like void where the maintainers can't be bothered to implement things that help the distro.

This is NOTHING like what goes on with Windows. Just FUD

Debian includes popularity contest too, also opt in. Where you gonna go now?

Debian is 10 years behind windows xp and is missing millions of packages from their repo's

debian is neither FSF nor GNU endorsed. Also not approved by RMS. Install PureOS on a librebooted thinkpad.