/obsd/ - OpenBSD General

OpenBSD is a free and open-source, security-focused, Unix-like operating system.

*Please remember that this thread is not meant to be a discussion about Linux vs OpenBSD*

FAQ:
>How do I get started?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>What are the available graphics drivers?
-amdgpu(4): AMD Radeon GPUs using the amdgpu kernel driver (not enabled by default yet, still Work-In-Progress)
-intel(4): Intel integrated graphics chipsets
-radeon(4): ATI/AMD Radeon video driver
-efifb(4): EFI frame buffer
-vesa(4): Generic VESA video driver

>What are the available wireless drivers?
-man.openbsd.org/?query=wireless&apropos=1

>How do I set up Full-Disk Encryption?
-openbsd.org/faq/faq14.html#softraidFDE

>Why OpenBSD?
-sivers.org/openbsd
-over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/01 (discusses *BSD in general)
-why-openbsd.rocks/ (shows up a random fact about OpenBSD whenever you load it)
-openbsd.org/innovations.html
-en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenBSD_security_features

>Should I use -release or -current?
-If you're using it in your home machine, then -current is most likely what you're looking for since it contains updated packages.

>How do I follow -current?
-openbsd.org/faq/current.html

>How do I upgrade -current to the latest snapshot?
-Just run sysupgrade(8) as root.

>How do I get help?
-OpenBSD man pages
-OpenBSD mailing lists: openbsd.org/mail.html
-daemonforums: daemonforums.org/
-OpenBSD FAQ: openbsd.org/faq/

>Book recommendations:
-Absolute OpenBSD (2nd edition)
-The Book of PF (3rd edition)

>Miscellaneous:

-c0ffee.net/blog/openbsd-on-a-laptop/ (tips for a laptop installation, contains some useful information)
-openbsd.org/lyrics.html (OpenBSD's songs)
-cdn.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/packages/amd64/ (list of available packages)

Feel free to ask questions and discuss topics that are related to OpenBSD.

Attached: 1560379429367.jpg (549x808, 409K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/openbsd/status/1154141513724698624
man.openbsd.org/sysupgrade
ports.su/devel/jdk/1.8,-main
openports.se/audio/audacity
man.openbsd.org/smtpd.conf#EXAMPLES
austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=859
calomel.org/entropy_random_number_generators.html
austingroupbugs.net
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Previous:

Will it run on an SGI octane?

>ctrl+f "fast"
not found
>ctrl+f "performant"
not found
>ctrl+f "decent filesystem"
not found

what a meme

How the fuck do I mount a USB drive?

Attached: 1562876379574.jpg (500x606, 40K)

doas mount /dev/ /mnt/

Yeah, I know the command, but I can't for the life of me figure out how block devices are named.

I have tried /dev/sdb1. Does not work. Also /dev/sdba. Same. Weirdly enough, if the USB has only one partition, /dev/sdbi seems to work.

I am a brainlet.

try dmesg after you insert the flash drive

run dmesg | tail after plugging it in

New OpenBSD art

twitter.com/openbsd/status/1154141513724698624

Attached: EARVlUmXUAUIUHG.jpg (800x1200, 192K)

Why is the little one sucking off the big one

HAMMER/HAMMER2 port when?

2^3 years (or less if you start contributing).

In OpenBSD it goes the number comes first and then the disklabel partition, like so:

/dev/sd2a on / type ffs (local)
/dev/sd2k on /home type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd2d on /tmp type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd2f on /usr type ffs (local, nodev)
/dev/sd2g on /usr/X11R6 type ffs (local, nodev)
/dev/sd2h on /usr/local type ffs (local, nodev, wxallowed)
/dev/sd2j on /usr/obj type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd2i on /usr/src type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)
/dev/sd2e on /var type ffs (local, nodev, nosuid)

The c partition on a disklabel represents the entire device; it's where you'd dd to clear the whole thing. Foreign file systems that don't support the disklabel(8) format like FAT are only given the i partition.

Attached: 1563076115048.gif (500x290, 491K)

The HAMMER2 specification isn't even finished.
But even if someone ports it from DragonFly, my guess is that they won't merge it because it's too much code and "muh surface attack" autism.

Noob here. Why does everyone troll these threads? Also, what are the downsides to POSIX non-compliance?

I am trying to send plaintext mail to the outside world using smtpd but I have never configured email before and the manual pages seem to assume you're somewhat proficient and already know how a mail server comes together.

>Not giving higher priority to foreign file systems than your native ones
Is OpenBSD raciss or something?

Attached: 1563109989935.jpg (800x647, 93K)

I think it might have something to do with openbsd kind of being the new arch linux.

Attached: c4b.png (1465x1007, 67K)

I hope I've made the right choice in choosing to learn OpenBSD.

Linux is becoming a tranny operating system with all the CoCs and mandatory diversity. OpenBSD is a natural aristocratic reaction to the unwashed masses turning open-source projects to shit.

Attached: 1561659665707.jpg (1300x804, 161K)

It works well if your hardware is supported, don't want to play games, and prefer security over raw speed. My story, I threw OpenBSD on a random shitty HP laptop; my suspend doesn't work but I don't care. Running sshd, writing code, browsing the web, torrenting, watching movies, and creating pro-Nazi content in GIMP works well. That's really all I need.

Attached: openbsd.png (1366x768, 52K)

Nice.

Attached: Nazicomp.jpg (800x600, 292K)

Same here on an old computer, can't use it on another machine because it doesn't support my wireless driver.

Attached: tad_looking.jpg (1148x917, 155K)

Ironically, this kind of attitude is why I've grown afraid to bring up OpenBSD in recent months.

Yes

Attached: file.png (416x400, 284K)

Thanks, my dudes

Attached: 1561001310064.png (545x470, 127K)

how maintainable is bsd compared to a linux distro like debian?
im going to set up a server on a low spec pc so im researching about not so bloated distros/bsd releases(dunno how they are called)

Rock fucking solid, real easy if you stay to the path, and with 6.6 it'll be more easier to upgrade. I'm just holding back some new deployments until October.
man.openbsd.org/sysupgrade

oh then im going to try it out, surely getting the machine/s in by saturday so ill post results that day, btw does it have a java port or ill have to vm that shit in? one of the servers im planning to make is a minecraft server

>does it have a java port
Yup
ports.su/devel/jdk/1.8,-main

nice, thanks for the info user

And I love you, random citizen!

you make me blush a-anonymous poster!

Nice aesthetic

>the manual pages seem to assume you're somewhat proficient
This is the biggest problem with OpenBSD's documentation. It's good documentation, but it's bad documentation for beginners and newbs. This is problem somewhat inherent to man pages themselves, but especially so to OpenBSD's documentation since it so heavily avoids having anything but man pages.

Where is he sucking?

Why were the posts you replied to deleted?
What did they say?

nothing of value was lost

What are the specs?

what bar is that?

How do I install Audacity? I am an audio creative.

epic

Why is your install so heavy on RAM

>No TRIM
>Suggesting and installing blobs on install
>Dick-waving about "code auditing" yet had a DARPA-injected backdoor in plain sight for nearly a decade.

All of this is bullshit except for trim

Attached: 1550561712733.jpg (600x450, 101K)

pkg_add audacity

see openports.se/audio/audacity

>bad documentation for beginners and newbs
if you want babby's first unix, there's always ubuntu. besides, pretty much all OBSD docs examples can be blindly copied and pasted, something that can't be said for other unix operating systems.

OBSD is pretty easy to maintain. upgrading is the same as installing, and everything is available as a binary package. one caveat, you must reboot to upgrade the system, and PXE network boot is a pain in the ass to set up. debian mini ISO would run just as well on a low spec server.

yeah. the anti-tranny crowd will only pollute our pure mindset and try to make us care about the FOSS tranny takeover, despite the whole OS being programmed in standards compliant C that keeps out the JavaScript webapp cancer. notice how clean the OBSD mailing lists are. we try not to litter in this community.

>the new arch linux
oh no.
it's a wise choice. spend some time with us and before you know it, even debian will look batshit insane. in the sense of, "why does my fresh mini install's /etc folder take more than 1 terminal page to display?"

>I have never configured email before
the man pages have good examples

please see

man.openbsd.org/smtpd.conf#EXAMPLES

What does it mean when I run pkg_add -u and get an excerpt of output like this? Is this just telling me nothing was changed, or was there a code change without a version bump?
ffmpeg-4.1.4v0->4.1.4v0: ok
ffmpegthumbnailer-2.2.0->2.2.0: ok
gstreamer1-plugins-libav-1.16.0->1.16.0: ok
mpv-0.29.1p0->0.29.1p0: ok
smplayer-19.5.0->19.5.0: ok
surf-2.0p1->2.0p1: ok

Thanks Theo, we don't mean to seem obsessed with trannies, but a garden will have weeds unless you physically remove them. I understand that we don't want to let trannies live rent-free in our heads or pollute the mailing lists acknowledging their existence, but if we "don't care" that trannies are taking over, then they will succeed. We have to be opposed to any tranny power grab.

Oxbar, available on Github. It should be in ports eventually.

Attached: 1547917692399.png (624x714, 359K)

based

I'll bite, why do you need so much security to the point that it slows down your system compared to Linux? How is Linux less secure when thousands of people are auditing it every day? And finally, why are you such bigots?

They just don't have a large enough dev team to work on performance.

The whole appeal of OBSD is the centralized development of the OS, where they develop and security audit all the code specifically for their operating system. Linux distros often incorporate code from upstream or wherever else, most of which isn't as extensively audited in the same way OBSD stuff is, nor is it designed specifically for OBSD or with a security focus(often sacrificing security for performance and features). OBSD is simply for a different use case.

>>Suggesting and installing
>All of this is bullshit
I actually have the same problem that popped up around 6.0.
It auto-installs intel firmware on first boot.
Anyone know what it is? How to avoid the auto-firmware installation?

Mods being retards deleting useful posts, probably L*nux shills

>is there java?
>yes,
>thanks
>you're welcome

Daily reminder

Attached: Stallman vs. BSD.png (499x499, 236K)

>programmed in standards compliant C that keeps out the JavaScript webapp cancer
>Still refuses to add a random number generator to finally achieve full POSIX compliance
user...

Pic related

Attached: BSD Autism.png (1300x760, 360K)

Everyone trolls this thread because:

A. OpenBSDistrofags think that using standard-compliant C to make slower-running programs in a smaller footprint is a good thing, while they refuse to implement a random number generator to get the same business-level status as other fully POSIX-compliant operating systems

B. OpenBSDistrofags, like Archfags, spend most of their free time trying to fix their systems because of how broken they are, to the point that even trying to install OpenBSD is a clusterfuck of commands that aren't friendly to end-users and beginners.

As for why POSIX is so important, let's put it this way; if you're going to talk the talk about using standards-compliant C, you better walk the walk of making the entire OS standards compliant, even if it means having to add something as unimportant as a random number generator (and without being jealous of macOS having this status when they don't implement poll() in their code). That's why OpenBSD doesn't really see use anywhere outside of college experiments and hipster home users.

>As for why POSIX is so important
It isn't.

Attached: global-os-market-share.png (1352x939, 95K)

>OpenBSD's in the 3.82% margin
>Alongside useless OSes like TempleOS, ReactOS, MenuetOS, DOS and non-NT Windows versions
Ouch...

Well... At least they still use standards-compliant C, which has been proven to mean fuck-all.

BSDistrofags BTFO

RedHat slash IBM slash MS slash NSA slash Talpiot trannies are all very agitated when OpenBSD is promoted. Very interesting and telling.

>When OpenBSD is promoted
According to , no BSD is actually promoted enough to the extent of annoying any of those parties... Especially when Inspur made a fully POSIX compliant fork of Red Hat.

So is OpenBSD the "most secure OS" or not? Which one is?

By virtue of being slow and unusable by those who have better things to do than to wait for an OS to load a smaller footprint version of Vim after 5 minutes, yes because nobody worth targeting uses OpenBSD.

The most secure OS is the OS that you know to use best, to apply common sense and not do stupid shit. OpenBSD would be secure until you use it to browse NSA-friendly websites like Facebook, YouTube or Discord.

>The only BSD shill to mention Red Hat
See

What are you even actually talking about?

Not only did OpenBSD innovate by developing the best RNG integration of any OS, they actually tried to get POSIX to standardize it, and eventually gave up when POSIX fags turned the design into crap

austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=859

>Making excuses to not implement a random number generator
>Still not having TRIM
Seriously, though... Is OpenBSD's code so convoluted, that none of its devs can even write a random number generator for it? No wonder they're lumped with the 3.82% of misfit operating systems that don't see use outside of colleges and hipsters.

Again, if you're going to claim to follow standards, stop bitching about the standards changing and get with the times.

Does anyone remember yesterday, when it was talked about how the OpenBSD project squandered $3850 that it earned for porting a now-outdated version of Node.js? What happened to that money?

>What happened to that money?
Theo spent it on cages for his basement collection of abducted boys

And nothing else to improve the OpenBSD project? I mean motivation in their dungeon helps to increase productivity.

>best RNG integration
It can't be the best integration if nothing integrated it.

Attached: strawman.jpg (400x400, 26K)

>The truth
Ouch

>austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=859
I almost read that as autistgroupbugs

And for an OS that's so perfect in your eyes, why do they have so many bugs, that they need their own website devoted to these bugs? How inefficient have these coders been since the 80's?

stop spreading lies, he has a harem of traps with expensive tastes

Attached: ez8gman7da831.jpg (768x1024, 116K)

All caged, though.

>Why does everyone troll these threads
The funny part is that there's this one faggot who thinks all the trolls here are a single person. He even saves archive links for every thread, just to out "him" at every chance he can get.

He thinks it's the same troll that trolls not only OpenBSD threads, but also Haiku threads and a thread on Busybox Linux distros fitting on a floppy. It makes me wonder if he's an OpenBSD programmer and why he's wasting his time to out anonymous trolls online, instead of keeping OpenBSD updated and improving its POSIX compliance.

>No rebuttal to
It's like OpenBSDistrofags can't even defend their buggy OS as being properly secured.

pic related

what are you even talking about? /dev/arandom is comparably fast as /dev/urandom and probably more secure than /dev/random. you can instantly generate 300-bit entropy bcrypt hashes. strong crypto is why the project started in the first place, because U.S. crypto software was classified as munitions.

please see calomel.org/entropy_random_number_generators.html

lol the plot thickens
because OBSD is objectively the best base system for any internet service you want to sell in the internet-fatigued, privacy and security minded 21st century. the only reason that big money in silicon valley doesn't rep it is because they don't care about efficiency and make platforms to propagate memes and sell ads. if my medical implant talks to a smartphone, I want the firmware to be sane and minimal, no telnet running by default or any other bullshit.

>Node.js
pandering to the loser vote

>pic related
duh

Attached: puffy-pepe.png (800x689, 203K)

>Australia
of course...

>Inspur K-UX and EulerOS (both Red Hat derivatives) have full POSIX compliance
>Solaris (a direct descendant of UNIX System V) has full POSIX compliance
>macOS (a bastardization of FreeBSD and NeXTstep) has POSIX compliance
>MINIX 3 (a bastardization of NetBSD and Linux) is fully POSIX compliant
>Not a single pure BSD project is POSIX compliant
Yet you'll still hurr and durr over your use of standards-compliant C for everything?!

Why is it that other UNIX System V derivatives, Linux and BSD-bastardized Linux and NeXTstep code has achieved this, when pure BSD hasn't? Sheer laziness?

>Still not producing what the Open Group or IEEE Computer Society asked for
>Still insisting that OpenBSD is secure when it has a website devoted to every bug it has had since 1980
So you will defend the laziness of people who get paid $3850 to do unimportant things, only to spend that money on more unimportant things like coffee mugs and t-shirts sold at a financial loss?

And why samefag to shill a defective OS that only gives the illusion of security by means of "lean" code that runs even slower than the "bloat" that you hate in Red Hat? You truly are the pic in

who's she(he)

>please see calomel.org/entropy_random_number_generators.html
Entropy random number generators aren't what POSIX defines as random number generators. :^)

>because OBSD is objectively the best base system for any internet service you want to sell in the internet-fatigued, privacy and security minded 21st century
>3.82% market share as a miscellaneous hobbyist operating system alongside TempleOS and floppy disk OSes nobody uses
Even Linux gets its own listing as 1.55% market share in the server sector.

>OBSD is pretty easy to maintain
>upgrading is the same as installing
Good God... So there's no automated updating system on OpenBSD? How the fuck does Linux and even Windows get this shit right?

>29 posters
>79 replies
I believe each poster has made one reply then the pozzix tard just made 50.

well I just had a brand new freebsd install hard-lock and now it's unbootable because of a corrupt filesystem

>Getting upset over the truth
Pic related

Attached: 382.jpg (403x394, 34K)

that's it's main weakness against linux IMO, that the console is largely inaccessible on bare metal. there are well documented PXE boot tutorials in the docs, but it's more advanced to set up than I want it to be. you can rebuild the world on a running system but I wouldn;t do that anyway. you know how unix builds up all these shit files over time.

whatever, who wouldn't want to live in a world where all internet services are specifically built with security in mind, even if it's a different implementation than obsd monk mode. my servers know what's up unless I need to run some linux shitware.

>coffee mugs and t-shirts
who the fuck even wears tech swag besides fat neckbeards and pasty losers. I wish most of all that any software would stop giving out stirkcers especially, except openbsd which should give out infinite classic puffy stickers

Attached: puffy.gif (500x453, 121K)

I love BSD's security feature right there. The file system's so secure, you can't even access it.

>The main weakness is updating OpenBSD
>Hurr we're the most secure OS
I love how your logic fails your argument.

>who wouldn't want to live in a world where all internet services are specifically built with security in mind
Who said your server is anymore secure than the NSA can break into it? Especially if you're not updating it automatically to protect it from the billions of bugs that are listed in austingroupbugs.net and still not resolved.

>I wish most of all that any software would stop giving out stirkcers especially, except openbsd which should give out infinite classic puffy stickers
And you justify spending $3850 on stickers for sale at 50% under the purchase cost? It's like you're mentally handicapped.

Kek

what's up with this posix shilling. OBSD is what defines best practices in C systems programming years before the standardsfags even think about it.

who do you think solved the 2038 problem, the OpenSSL problem, insecure memory, remote logins, etc. who takes a drunk guy less seriously than someone using a bugtracker website and pulling the NSA card.

if the NSA wants to hack you, you're definitely running some exploitable service in some way. the openbsd difference is that the compromised program will more likely terminate because the default environmental rules are so strict.

Pic related. OpenBSD doesn't define what IEEE defines, nor does it follow what IEEE defines.

Attached: BSD Autism 2.png (1300x760, 375K)

>who do you think solved...
Why were there so many problems to begin with and why weren't they solved earlier, considering the age of OpenBSD?

There is no getting around the simple fact that digital computers are the enemy of the white man.

>if the NSA wants to hack you, you're definitely running some exploitable service in some way
Yes, like corebook to unlock the installation of OpenBSD on a UEFI motherboard. And coupled with Intel's backdoors and now AMD's PSP backdoor, you might as well restrict OpenBSD's use on Pentium 4 and older Intel chips.

How about analog computers?

best os ever i have seen. thanks

>Windows 3.1 interface
>That hasn't been updated since Windows 3.1
*SNAP*
glug glug glug
Yup! That there's a REAL operating system.

I love how the POSIXtard is BTFOing the BSD soibois.

>It works well if your hardware is supported
>It hardly supports any hardware that doesn't have generic drivers since 2003