If you connect a Max OS 9 machine to the internet, what is the possibility of it getting a virus?

If you connect a Max OS 9 machine to the internet, what is the possibility of it getting a virus?

The virus would have to be compiled to run on PowerPC machines. It would also have to be able to run on OS 9, which is radically different to other OS's, and is basically a tiny kernel with various add-ons on top of it.

Attached: macos9.jpg (610x414, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

macintoshrepository.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Max OS 9
*Mac

Thanks for the tip.

Faggot

>Faggot
My name says otherwise. Heh.

Not sure. It depends if you’re using IE6 or not. 6 used to create a lot of viruses back in its hayday

>what is the possibility of it getting a virus?
Approximately 0%

depends on your plugins
don't think os9 is listening with too many vulnerable services by default

Nice blog, how do I unsubscribe?

105%
you also get gayness from using apple
aids from apple butt fucking you hard
and some other diseases

What browser are you using on it? Got a G3 233 with OS 8.6 on it, and tried classizilla, but damn it's such a slug it's hardly usable, same with internet explorer 5 (which kinda surprised me 'cause it's actually faster on my 486DX2).

Kys samefag

OS 9 is max comfy. Just keep the dodgy extensions away and it’s rock solid too.

>OS 9 is max comf
Agreed

>samefag

Basically zero. Not only is an operating system like that niche and unlikely to be running on anything being used to store useful (profitable) information nowadays, but networking and remote access in general are pretty much an afterthought. Sure, there's probably some vulnerabilities that are unlikely to be patched and the system itself is not very secure by design, but exploiting them would be such a challenge for so little reward that nobody with the ability to do so AND the ability to effectively distribute such an attack indiscriminately would bother because the return on investment is practically nothing.

That's provided you're even exposed to begin with, since pretty much every home router nowadays has a built-in firewall. Same deal applies to pretty much any old operating system, even more architecturally recent ones like 2000 or XP. Black hats are dumbshits that always take the path of least resistance, nobody's going out of their way to exploit bugs in irrelevant old operating systems with no market share in such a way that plugging your retro funbox into the wall without a condom is going to give it terminal e-AIDS.
Probably depends on the sites you're hitting, but the G3/233 is a little slow in general. I usually use Netscape on shit that old unless I want to shitpost on Jow Forums from it or something.

I see, thanks, I'll give netscape a try. Used to use it on one of my windows 2000 setup, but never tried it on mac OS tho.
>the G3/233 is a little slow in general
It's not the slowest macintosh I have (that would be my 4400), and the fastest one is a G3/266, so not that much faster.

It's not really terrible depending on what system you have, but they're definitely not something I'd expect great performance out of with Classilla or even IE on more noscript-friendly websites. Even my 500DP G4 is pretty slow at loading pages.

You could also try throwing a little more memory in if you're still running a factory stock machine with 32 or 64 MiB. Browsing on shitboxes is mostly a CPU killer, but 128 MiB is my personal minimum for that kind of use.

Most Classic-oriented viruses had to be spread by media. There was the CD Autostart virus and old favorites like nvir and so on that were spread by infected floppies.
It was the Word macro viruses that caused most trouble. Putting an executable language in text documents was just asking for trouble.

>that would be my 4400
Made by Asus, I believe. It shared one of their cabinets. Looked more like a Licenced clone than a real Mac.
What a dog! It was called the 7220 here. Full of generic PC-style hardware. The floppy drives were rubbish and God help you if you hadn't shelled out for a cache DIMM.

I always understood them as a joint Apple/Motorola effort but just built in a "cheaper" way. My StarMax uses the same board as the 4400/200.

I made a Linux distro that boots seamlessly into an OS 9.2 qemu VM. Mostly did it as a whim, but I can share the ISO if anyone wants.

Yes please

I meant namefag. Lol

I'm uploading it now

Absolutely no fucking chance unless someone makes a virus to spread to random OS 9 machines somehow.

OP here, nvm I figured it out.

faggot

I tried. Upload keeps failing because lol Cox. cideros.com has an older copy.

>cideros.com has an older copy.
I’ll check it out, ty for link

>cideros.com
Doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be blazing fast internet performances, it's just that I have more troubles and worse speed on my macintosh G3 browsers than with IE5 and Opera on my trusty 486 with merely 8MB of RAM (both browsers need at least 16MB, but windows handles it)
The systems installed are OS 8.6 on the 233, and planning to install 9.2.2 on the 266. Still need to make the 4400 work tho.
>128 MiB is my personal minimum for that kind of use
Good then, the 233 has 160MB of RAM, the 266 more.
>Made by Asus, I believe.
Tanzania board is both an apple & motorola design.
>God help you if you hadn't shelled out for a cache DIMM.
Look like I'll have some nasty surprise once the replacement battery arrives then. I put 2 32MB 3.3V DIMM EDO-RAM sticks in it, but still haven't replaced the battery. I was thinking about puttin MacOS 8.6 on it too.

>If you connect a Max OS 9 machine to the internet, what is the possibility of it getting a virus?
Very, very low. Although Mac OS 9 has terrible security (read: none), and will be zero effort to someone actively attacking you, there may quite literally be zero in the wild attacks on the open web that would hit a Mac OS 9 system.
There wasn't much Mac OS malware written, and much of it is so old that it'll be caught by running Disinfectant (which is ancient).

You'll mostly have to worry about when downloading from abandonware sites, since there's a few files over at Macintosh Garden that do have some ancient 1993-era Mac virus, and you can reasonably protect yourself by just scanning all of your executables.

Fuck, even a Windows 98 machine would be pretty safe these days just because it's sufficiently different from a modern Windows system and much of the malware that would have plagued it in its heyday just isn't being spread anymore.
Hell, there's a bunch of shit that should work on 2000 (because it's similar enough to a modern Windows system), but breaks because it's just a little bit too old
would be a very easy fix to hit those machines, but no one's bothering because it's such a small target these days anyway

tl;dr:
you're getting security by obsolescence (obscurity), there's not much to attack you out there anymore
run Disinfectant when downloading abandonware
that's it

Where do you find a safe version of Disinfectant?

Any old user group diskettes.
macintoshrepository.org/

Look for Virex, too.

Security by obsolescence. Just make sure you're connected to the internet behind a router with a firewall, and use common sense when downloading shit from the web.

Attached: 750fx.jpg (590x375, 55K)

>Mac OS 9 has terrible security (read: none), and will be zero effort to someone actively attacking you
I'm curious about this. What makes it so easy?

Even if you did that with Win9x or older NT like XP, nothing would happen. Stop being a boomer.

>Even if you did that with Win9x or older NT like XP, nothing would happen
(X) Doubt

Ii fear your machine would be vulnerable to javascript exploits.

IE never went about 5 on OS 9.

It only works with IPV6. Blame your ISP for being behind the times.

Depends on if you piss off Jeff Goldblum or not.

I've added an IPV4 address support to the server instance. Enjoy.

Try the website again (cideros.com) let me know if it's still being a shit.

Simply put, OS 9 was a patching of hacks on top of hacks. It was never designed with the idea of containing malicious apps. Even if they wanted to they would never be able to provide proper security due to the design of the OS.

Keep in mind that graphics acceleration is not present. Don't expect to play unreal tourny on this.

>cideros.com
It works perfectly now.

Sorry I took almost a day to fix it, was busy with work. If you have any questions or comments, I'll be lurking. merde user.