I want to get a guitar amp, tell me why it should or shouldn't be a roland micro cube gx? I'll be playing mostly metal

I want to get a guitar amp, tell me why it should or shouldn't be a roland micro cube gx? I'll be playing mostly metal
inb4 go to /mu/, they don't know shit. my responses will be
>1000 dollar amp or nothing
> S A M B O
>plug guitar into kaka

Attached: roland-micro-cube-gx-banner.jpg (660x270, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/hemet-super-nice-fender-amp-with/6890977979.html
inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/chino-line-6-spider-iv-guitar-amp/6928257822.html
guitarix.org/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio
ubuntustudio.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=sjMvUulO-bo
smile.amazon.com/Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-Blucoil-Celluloid/dp/B076T8T57L/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gt 1&qid=1564114985&s=gateway&sr=8-4
smile.amazon.com/Boss-GT-1-Guitar-Multi-effects-Pedal/dp/B01M03W1HD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gt 1&qid=1564114985&s=gateway&sr=8-3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

We don't know shit either.

Get a tiny amp only if you expect to make a tiny sound

I don't think I ever used the GX ones and haven't used a Roland Cube in general for years, but they were really solid practice amps.

I'm still a big fan of tube amps, and still have a PODxt from years ago when I want some amp modeling.

If I needed a new practice amp now I'd definitely check out those Roland's again

Fender twin reverb is the only amp

I don't mind a small sound
thanks for the vote of confidence friend
user, that is 1000 dollars, plus I've heard fenders aren't great for metal

Fenders are great for all music. Go for the Hot Rod Deville if you don't want to save some money and still get a great amp.

frankly, don't bother with an amp for practicing unless you practice with others. if you're going it alone, just get an effects processor (e.g. boss gt series) and a decent pair of headphones.

if you're getting the amp for taking to gigs, most venues have a setup anyways

thats still too much
but thats still more expensive than the roland

Just get a tube screamer for metal

go with a craigslist amp, they're usually in good shape, make sure to test the amp before buying, y'know standard shit for buying something used.

I still might wanna play other things though
I don't like craigslist and im too autistic to meetup with someone

30 dollars more (or about the same price used, got mine for $160 basically new at guitar center) for basically everything you need, unless you already have the pedals you need/want for whatever you're playing

or as some anons are saying, getting a used amp for like $30 at a garage sale is perfectly fine if cost is the main issue

inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/hemet-super-nice-fender-amp-with/6890977979.html

inlandempire.craigslist.org/ele/d/chino-line-6-spider-iv-guitar-amp/6928257822.html
eh, these are the only ones in my area...

the real question is if you have the pedals. if you're trying to play metal without at least a few pedals or an effects processor it's gonna sound like shit

also check reverb for more listings on amps. people may ship them too

okay why do I need pedals?

because you said you still might want to play other things

well I thought I could just dial in whatever sound I wanted onto an amp
I don't need 100% accuracy, only maybe 70%

if you're gonna play anything close to sounding like metal, you simply cannot play it clean. it will really take a toll on your morale when you're trying to play metallica or whatever and it just sounds like plucking.

getting an effects processor not only acts like an amp in terms of sound, but also gives you a lot of versatility when wanting to play certain genres

if you're using this for practice, you might have better luck plugging your guitar into your laptop and using software for effects
play with headphones or whatever, it'll make jamming along to youtube loops/background really easy, and you can always plug in a big boy speaker

also, ask around pawn shops

but thats why I was gonna get the micro cube so I could dial in more gain... it doesn't only produce clean
thats a good idea, but most software costs money and has lag, so I kinda just want an amp

>I don't mind a small sound
What happens when you want to play with other people? You're going to be drowned out

i'm really telling you user, dialing in more gain is not gonna give you the "metal" sound you want, or give you a lot of versatility. what said is pretty valid too, though.

if you're really dead set on getting the micro cube gx then by all means go to a guitar store and try it out. but if you want to really capture the sound of professionals, you're gonna need pedals or an effects processor (or a software setup)

>other people
then why does it work for people playing in youtube videos? sounds playable to me

>thats a good idea, but most software costs money and has lag, so I kinda just want an amp
may I introduce you to guitarix.org/ and wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Professional_audio
If you're on a hard budget for cash, you HAVE to be willing to compromise on either quality or effort. Put in a little effort or just get a shitty result

user, are you new to guitar or are you experienced? assuming the former, the people who play in videos are vastly more experienced. if you're just starting out, then i highly recommend having an effects setup. you'll sound a shitton better when practicing.

again, if you really believe that getting an amp will be enough for you to play metal with 70% accuracy, then just go buy a cheapo amp

well duh, I don't think I'm going to magically start shredding when I plug my guitar into a amp... the fact they're able to play it decently shows that its possible and I'll be happy to be half as skilled as them

oh sorry, I typed my response to you but my laptop fucked up for some weird reason
I don't have linux, user. I don't mind spending money but I'm just a casual player. I don't need the best stage level equipment.

Unironically,
Spend $500 on a speaker setup and amps. Buy a $100 guitair digital interface, then pirate digital amp software. Use your computer.

it's gonna take some time, and during that time it'll be kinda painful if you really think pumping up the gain on the amp will get you to 70% accuracy. but since you seem to be on a tight budget, the only advice i can give at this point is either getting a software setup (which isnt as laggy as you think unless your pc is ass) or going to a guitar store and doing your due diligence before you drop $160 on a 3-watt amp.

then ubuntustudio.org/ maybe be more to your taste. dual boot or whatever.

Just trash the guitar and buy a drum kit. Get some nice Zildjian Ks or Sabian HHs on there. You aren't some rock plebian are you?

youtube.com/watch?v=sjMvUulO-bo
2:20
sounds pretty accurate to me
inb4 "because his skill", duh thats why I'm going to practice
what is dual boot.. idk how that works user.. I'd like something that I could just install, plug my guitar in and use

Just get one of these. You can get them used for like $100, they'll get loud as fuck, and they're actually pretty decent for medal (assuming you have effects pedals)

Attached: file.png (250x196, 139K)

>I'd like something that I could just install, plug my guitar in and use
then you should probably get familiar with your local used hardware options. pawnshops, thrift stores, that sort of thing

user, you seem to be missing the point. practicing will be a lot more fun and engaging if you capture the sound of what you're trying to emulate through effects. and again, i highly recommend actually trying out the equipment in person before you buy it. a youtube video only shows you so much.

I suppose so
yeah the common thread seems to be "try out the equipment first".. just hate doing this shit in person but I guess I will

this goes double if you don't already have studio-quality listening devices, and if the youtuber doesn't use studio-quality recording devices

>just hate doing this shit in person
you're going to have a rough time buying musical equipment then

on one last note then, keep in mind that if you do get better and want to strive towards higher accuracy, you will need to invest in pedals or an effects setup. the most cost-effective solution in my opinion is just getting a used gt-1 and running with it, but it's up to you.

well the recording device couldn't really make it sound better though.. only more accurately represent whats coming through
yeah
hmm on this note
smile.amazon.com/Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor-Blucoil-Celluloid/dp/B076T8T57L/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gt 1&qid=1564114985&s=gateway&sr=8-4

smile.amazon.com/Boss-GT-1-Guitar-Multi-effects-Pedal/dp/B01M03W1HD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=gt 1&qid=1564114985&s=gateway&sr=8-3
are these the same but one just comes with more stuff?

yeah, the first one does come with more stuff, but it aint worth it. the gt-1 runs on 4 AA batteries, and picks are dirt cheap, so i would say just get it used on amazon, ebay, or reverb. keep in mind though it does not have a speaker, but if you have any headphones that end in a 3.5mm or 1/4 in jack they oughta work. just try not to blow out the speakers on them if they're cheap

so it can do anything an amp can do but with better sound and no speaker?
how long is the battery life about? and if I wanted to plug it into a speaker, would any old speaker do or would it need to be an amp?

any old speaker would be fine if you have the proper cable, i'd imagine. the battery life in my experience is actually quite good, and i can tell you that 4 AAs is way easier to replace than a fuckhuge battery than most pedals take.

They sound like shit

Skip the small amp. First question is why you even want an amp?

If you want just want to jam around the house, get an effects processor or some sort of plugin. A USB interface and something Plini's Neural DSP or BiasFX.

If you want to play with friends used AX8 and an FRFR stereo.

If you still want an amp, then get something bigger with tubes, the cubes are a waste of money. If you are getting solid state it's better to just use an effects processor on your comp instead.

save up for a better amp. I know it takes a while but you'll thank yourself in the future. doesn't have to be a 2000 dollar marshall pig, but dont fall for the micro amp meme

idk how to use those, are they easy
like which amp? I like battery power and mobility

Ffs

Get a line 6 hd pod bean or whatever they have nowadays that isnt an axefx so you can at least try to get a proper metal sound

ask Ola

can you link whatever you're talking about?
I posted him earlier playing on a micro cube

Why are you looking at a portable amp? Are you space constraint or do you require portability? A laptop, software amp and a professional usb soundcard solves this.

what software?

Micro cube is alright but tiny and you will get a tiny sound.
The boss katana is basically the successor to the roland cube series (same company) and everybody seems to love it.

Lmao these Jow Forums niggers.
Yes an interface is useful and I use it all the time for recording (and playing through a virtual amp) but in my opinion you can't replace a real amp for practice and ease of picking up the guitar (which I have found to be extremely important).
When I feel like playing guitar I want to just plug in, flip a switch and play. I don't want to fire up my daw and set up an amp/fx chain first. That often kills my inspiration.
I usually play through my amp, record a fragment with a looper pedal if I stumble across something nice so I don't forget it and then go to the daw, set everything up and record my stuff.

is there any amp you recommend? thoughts on the cube?

I have a used Cube 15 that I got for 35 bucks and it was a great first amp. Still use it. But I only use the clean channel and use pedals for dirt. I'm not a fan of the dirt channels, although I reckon on the newer cubes that might be better.
Still, if I were to buy a new amp at this point, especially for a first one, I'd probably get a Boss Katana 50. Gets rave reviews from everyone, gets plenty loud and it has a built in interface which should come in handy when recording (and you should record yourself, even as a beginner).
Or get any real cheap used amp and roll with it, then buy a better amp when you get better at both playing and listening, at which point you will know what you want in an amp.

well the reason I settled on the microcube is because it has a battery power option, and its a long-ish lasting battery power at that. usually that isn't an option with more premium amps like the katana 50
I could just get a used amp like you say but I have my heart set on a metal tone (or reasonably close to it) and I know a lot of cheaper amps tend to focus on a cleaner tone so I don't wanna be stuck with a lemon of a first amp. I know I can test it before I buy it but my ear is rather untrained I guess

You're not gonna get a satisfactory metal tone out of a micro cube. You need a bigger speaker for that. If it's metal you want, the katana is right up your alley.
If you want portability and just low volume playing the yamaha THR10X seems like a good choice too.
But personally, for heavy music I want a heavy tone and that means at least a medium sized amp.
Don't forget you can get a decent metal tone with just pedals into a clean amp (that's what I do), although it's obviously not as great as using a tube amp (yes they absolutely do sound better).
That's the point though. For really good tone you need a tube amp which is loud and expensive, so not really an option for most home players. Solid state is pretty good these days, but it is a bit of a trade off as you don't get the rich harmonics as much. Don't sweat it too much on the amp. I was overthinking it massively before I started and now I realized it didn't really matter what my first amp was. I supplement it with virtual amps/cabs for recording and once I git gud and have the space for it I'll just upgrade my amp.
Big part of the beginning stage is just getting any amp and learning to play, during which time you will develop your ear and get a taste for which tonal characteristics you like. That only comes from experience, which means you just gotta dive in and see where it leads you, instead of planning everything ahead.

okay bro, thanks a lot. i think I'll just go to the local place and see what seems cool. you helped a lot man