/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 3200G - Minimum 30-60fps gaming. The stronger 3400G sells for $150. (R3K APUs OCs better than R2K)
>R5 2600 - 60fps+ gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 or Micron E-die ("AES" in code) recommended
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP
>B-die is EOP, stock is limited

GPUs based on current pricing
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale/used for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>(GTX 1660TI @ ~$230/Vega56 @ ~$270) - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - higherer FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - standard, 75-100FPS+
>RX 5700XT - higher fps
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi AIB models come mid-August. 5700 non-XT blower is alright, due to low power.

General
>Yes, adaptive sync (free/g/sync) is important for gaming
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>Don't use Speccy
>Don't trust sites which rank CPUs by arbitrary, obfuscated scores (eg userbenchmark, passmark, cpuboss)
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors + SSD Guide under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more
prev

Attached: chrome_2019-07-07_21-57-30.jpg (2927x1317, 680K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/PHWL6s
techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/
secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=KescOcWCwVs=
pcpartpicker.com/list/p6MHkd
wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=248d83baa3933ab0ec692bfee0a68286
newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151095
forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11477&title=can-boot-without-apu-or-vga-card
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

retards STILL chasing "LE B-DIE" while the chad dual rank sails past them

Attached: dual rank RAM.jpg (994x746, 295K)

Reposting

I have an R7-3700X and Asus X570 motherboard. Even after a BIOS flash to the latest version, I'm getting occasional WHEA errors, voltage that sticks to 1.48v even after the load is done (encoding and rendering) and doesn't fix itself until I reboot. I also have really slow NVME response time. I'm within my Microcenter return window and am tempted to bring the stuff back in exchange for a 9900k and Z390.

Anyone have an ETA on proper BIOS fixes and windows fixes? Thoughts?

Ok so I am aiming for a 1440p build with high fps.
I see that the R7 3700X is recommended in pcpartpicker. Is there a substantial fps difference between it and a R5 3600 ?
Can I downgrade to it so I can afford the 2070 super?
Also the MSI B450 mobo is recommended. Will it work out of the box or do I need to shill out for the new x570 mobos ?

Never buy ASUS or Gigabyte motherboards

>still posting this disproven meme
lel
Dual rank performs about the same as single rank +1 speed grade but can't OC for shit.

4 sticks of b-die running 3200cl14 will destroy that dual rank any day of the week

Besides, that's a graph showing how well Intel's IMC handles 4 ranks of memory. It may not be true for Ryzen and definitely don't apply to skylake-x and TR4

Boards with the A320 chipset can't overclock, but can they underclock or undervolt?

>Is there a substantial fps difference between it and a R5 3600 ?
No, you'll be GPU limited in 1440p

>I see that the R7 3700X is recommended in pcpartpicker. Is there a substantial fps difference between it and a R5 3600 ?
No. You're better off going with a 9700k or better as a proper upgrade from the 3600.

Attached: FC_1440p.png (1374x1516, 69K)

AMD has been silent over this ordeal. Don't get your hopes up for any fixes any time soon.

pcpartpicker.com/list/PHWL6s

Euro here. Been without a proper desktop for a year, have been looking for a new one for a few months now, I have to bite the bullet sometime soon.
Anything I can do to make this better? (For gaming and photoshop mostly.) Aside from the GPU obviously.
Also if I were to upgrade the GPU should I go for an AMD (570 or so) or an Nvidia (1060 or so)? I believe the monitor is a Freesync so I figured an AMD would be better, though I'm not sure about the longevity of either.
Opted for the 2600 over the 3600 as it's an 80€ difference here.
My old one was even more budget than this and lasted me 7 years - let's say 6 before it started to be problematic in performance, want this one to go for about the same.

Also, just figured out that the Gigabyte Aorus x470 Ultra Gaming is out of stock, should I order it elsewhere and pay double for shipping, or should I get a different board?

Attached: 1564136669771.jpg (640x480, 14K)

>not use dual rank B-die
fuck off poorfag

No idea. Not sure it's a Zen2 issue since the vast majority of people aren't getting them.

Generally no.

>cherry picking one game
kill yourself, dumb shill.
Depends on the game.Some games do use 8c/16t well, if not more, like Kingdom Come Deliverance and other new Cryengine games.

Yeah, zen APU would be sufficient.

>4 sticks of b-die running 3200cl14 will destroy that dual rank any day of the week
Source: my ass

Then I'm bringing it back to the store. Today. I was a day one buyer if Ryzen 1000. I did my beta testing. this is just stupid already

Im about to flash my msi b450,
pray for me brothers

Buy a UPS and you won't need prayers.

>cherry picking one game
You're damn right I did. I cherry picked one that favors the 3700x's performance over a 3600. Most benchmarks have the 3700x and 3600 at the same level, lol.
>techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/

Attached: WWZ_1440p.png (1374x1516, 67K)

>posting pre-patch WWZ
dumb shill

Can't wait for custom Navi cards (so I can get a 2060S cheaper).

>Can't wait for custom Navi cards
Cringe
>so I can get a 2060S cheaper)
Absolutely based

>shill
Is that something you utter when you're on a meltdown? How about you prove that the 3700x doesn't perform 99% of a 3600 is most game benches?

Never buy MSI or ASRock boards

>been trying to get a 3900x for days but keep missing it before it goes out of stock

Please stop buying them.

Also Corsair 16gig ram on Newegg for 59.99, worth?

Which B450 boards can boot headless? I need to know for reasons.

the 590 is $30 more expensive than the 580, is it worth it bros?

huh is that not a normal feature? I just picked a random assrock x470 killer sli and it booted headless fine.

I agree with you that the 3700X generally doesn't outperform the 3600 by much. But it still does in some cases and those some cases matter.
Same can be said about the 9900k generally not outperforming the 8700k by much. So no one should buy the 9700k/9900k and should just buy the 3600 which generally performs about on par with the 8700k?

I've had a MSI board for 4 years, no issues at all
granted it's barebones as shit since I bought the cheapest one (H81) but it works perfectly fine

>>Don't use Speccy

why not?

>>>Don't trust sites which rank CPUs by arbitrary, obfuscated scores (eg userbenchmark, passmark, cpuboss)

which should i trust instead?

hwinfo64 is a roughly 10,000 times better version of speccy. And much lighter weight. And fully customizable.

>which should i trust instead?
One that tests actual applications/games which you use. Duh ???

Not really. That's what, 20% more money for like a 8-10% perf increase? Generally most worthwhile to look for or wait for a 1660ti sale if RX580 isn't enough for the games you play, but it probably is.

I wish you could have like 256gb RAM on intel CPUs.
Maybe with DDR5. It supposedly will have those dual-sided DIMMs that are just coming out on DDR4

>One that tests actual applications/games which you use. Duh ???

such as?

>3600 which generally performs about on par with the 8700k?
That doesn't hold true in many games though... Often, a 9600k outperforms a 3900x in average fps but due to lack of HT, falls off in 1% lows.
For now, a sensible upgrade path for gaming cpus are
>9900k(nobody should buy this but its the best)>9700k>8700k>3600

>>>Don't use Speccy
>why not?
It reads the 2666 mhz RAM in my laptop as 299 mhz, for one. And it knows the CPU is Ryzen, but not the actual model.

>That doesn't hold true in many games though
You're right, it's often better with smoother frametimes and has the benefit of better multitasking due to the fast context switching.
Intel is just shit and not worth considering at all.

>ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Twin Fan 8GB GDDR6
>GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC 8GB GDDR6
>ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Advanced Overclocked 8GB GDDR6
I have a i7-4790k and a GTX970, and I want to get a new GPU while keeping the same CPU and everything for now. Would any of these cards work for this or would the potential bottleneck make it so that I might as well go with a lower level card instead? And if these are fine, which would be the "best" one?

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING B450 MAX BOARDS MSI?

so when do we get more choices in 2070 Super cards?
also, I haven't seen a single store offering the 2080 Super.
I thought that shit was out, am I dreaming?

do I need a gpu to boot if I have a 2700 & b450 ?

I want to play kenshi. Can anybody give me an idea of what a minimum set up would look like vs a setup that can play well?

secure.newegg.com/Wishlist/SharedWishlistDetail?ID=KescOcWCwVs=

Any lost thoughts or criticisms? Facebook machine for my dad.

does it have an integrated GPU? then you're ok
if not, then you need a card

Who cares about the super cards when the 5700xt is better?

I have a 27" flat screen monitor and I am looking at picking up a second monitor. Should I get a second flat screen, or should I buy into the curved screen meme? Also, should I get the same size as my first monitor? How awkward is it to have a second monitor that's bigger than the first?

okay, when do we get more choices for 5700xt cards?

Can someone help me complete my build, with a CPU/MOBO combo
Budget left $400 to $500, will upgrade GPU next month
pcpartpicker.com/list/p6MHkd

Attached: Capture.png (1466x471, 46K)

august

>How awkward is it to have a second monitor that's bigger than the first?
It depends how you intend to use it, and if you prefer your primary monitor to be bigger, you can always, you know, switch them.

linux support is spotty at best right now.

lol

Attached: kryonaut is good goy, just buy more of it, surely it was user error, try another 20 applications.jpg (2096x5376, 2.34M)

>linux
lol so nothing then

...so nothing what?

what are you trying to say?

Gaming on the main monitor, whichever one that ends up being, and a secondary for work. I guess my main concern is how well a curved monitor works for gaming.

Not an issue.

what's not an issue?
try writing out an entire thought.

What's the best Motherboard for the Ryzen 3700X right now? As in, will yield me the least amount of possible problems and the greatest possible reliability.

what's the case with largest number of 3.5 hdd slots?
was lookin at the fractal design define XL R2 and it has 8 slots
is there anything out there with more slots?

Do you have brain problems?
You said not to buy 5700XT because
>linux support is spotty at best right now.
Which matters to literally nobody.

Any x570

Any that allows you to use an AGESA prior to 1.0.0.3ab

Windows isn't clearing my RAM standby memory like it should and it's causing stuttering in vidya. What do?

Phanteks Evolve X has at least as much support as the R2 XL.

it's okay not to have an opinion on something you don't care about, user.
Linux support matters to the people it matters to.
if that's not you, then great, leave the discussion to others.

wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1256&sid=248d83baa3933ab0ec692bfee0a68286

How's this PSU? It's only $45 after rebate right now.
newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151095

Are you pegged at >90% ram usage?

thanks m8, you're a lifesaver

thats one thing i havent checked

>google ' benchmarks

>he thinks ngreedia will drop prices further
cringe and bluepilled

I was using mx-4 on 1080ti and had applied it a week before getting some kryonaut. Using kyronaut dropped around 9c, and if you look into the reviews of it on amazon - there are chinese thermal pastes disguised as kyronaut, that perform worse than mx-4 and the sort. I haven't tried it on a CPU but I'm sure it will beat out the competition too. Each package of thermal grizzly comes with a authentication of genuineness that you can verify online. It's a very retarded thing because theres no defined resellers of amazon so just the reviews of the seller you're buying from.

Attached: bazinga1.jpg (900x746, 65K)

The 9700k and the 3700x are similarly priced (ryzen slightly cheaper) in my country, which one should I get? This will be purely for 1440p 144hz gaming.

5700 at 1440p should still be fine for you.
For 1080p, you can't really go much higher to the point of being worth it. A 1660ti isn't a very big/worthwhile upgrade, but you'll often bottleneck anything more at 1080p.

Yes

Lmao MX-4 is probably worse than what the manufacturer used on the 1080Ti stock. Usually manufacturers use something pretty equivolant to Kryonaut, or at least Sapphire does.

Are mechanical keyboards a meme? I'm not using my keyboard for work, only for playing games.

3700X gives smoother frametimes and will handle multitasking better. Also better if you do any non-gaming.
At 1440p you're seldom going to see a difference. And are you even factoring in the cooler cost for the 9700k?

this. Though multiple sources help. It's easy to fudge tests to favor one over the other (ie screwing with memory timings that aren't disclosed)

Nope, they have way better build quality than a cheap keyboard and all around feel better to use.

they don't improve your gaming experience, so yes, in that regard.

9700k will give you more FPS (10% more) but there isn't any hyperthreading, so you'll have to close every background application before running your game otherwise the fps will drop below 3700x

This is true, mx-4 ran hotter than whatever was on there from the factory, but I was trying to get 2.1Ghz out of it because its a hybrid card

forgot to add
9700k has no cooler so you'll have to buy one (50-90$)

>I was using mx-4 on 1080ti and had applied it a week before getting some kryonaut. Using kyronaut dropped around 9c,
Not the case with two different batches I got over the years.
>there are chinese thermal pastes disguised as kyronaut, that perform worse than mx-4 and the sort.
Comes in the black sealed bag in both cases. In either case this shit happens too often, and regardless if it's kryonaut being shit or shitloads of fakes being everywhere the result is the same and magically other brands don't have this problem.
>Each package of thermal grizzly comes with a authentication of genuineness that you can verify online.
? Elaborate.

>Lmao MX-4 is probably worse than what the manufacturer used on the 1080Ti stock.
It's not, I have personally tested this. You get better temps if you replace stock themp.

>Usually manufacturers use something pretty equivolant to Kryonaut, or at least Sapphire does.
You fucking kidding me? Pic related fuck off!

Attached: but Sapphire paste is good ytou dont need to replace it.jpg (1729x675, 371K)

>5700 at 1440p should still be fine for you
I need CUDA to work though. I'll try to see what the nVidia equivalent of the 5700 is.

2060super

what gpu brands (both amd and nvidia) should i avoid like the plague?
so far i've heard the phrase "only thing worse than a blower cooler is an msi gpu"

Gigabyte GPUs, cheap chinkshit (names you've never heard of like manli)

>STILL waiting for 5700xt aibs to come out
UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

gigabyte tends to offer poor gpus
also avoid the armor serie from MSI, rest of their products seems fine

>waited for zen 2
>waited for navi
>now have to wait for AIB navi and non-fucked BIOS zen 2
might as well just keep waiting for DDR5, 7nm+ zen and AMD raytracing

wait for big navi it'll render navi obsolete

Based helpful user, thank you.

i've heard ASUS has ultra cancer customer support and rma

your best bet is asrock, there are a few reports about them booting headless on reddit

asus is most definitely a no, because they fail POST without GPU

the one i'm looking at for headless is the b450 gaming itx/ac, see this forum post:
forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11477&title=can-boot-without-apu-or-vga-card

pls

>ASUS has ultra cancer customer support and rma
yes

if you have an asrock, probably yes
asus most likely no
gigabyte depends, they say it won't work but works for some
no idea about msi, biostar

>higher gpu load
>higher rpm
>uses more vram

at least amd had the price advantage before, now there's no point to go red, glad i went with a 9900k