/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1452315675609.png (726x595, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-navi-linux
reddit.com/
github.com/Gimu/chancli
pastebin.com/kQVs46z3
askubuntu.com/questions/45072/how-to-control-internet-access-for-each-program
store.kde.org/p/998651
gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html#small
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

INSTALL GUIX

Attached: 1bFcg3Y-830x460.jpg (830x460, 37K)

Just installed manjaro KDE rc5. Having network trouble. Wifi worked fine during the install, but now when trying to reconnect it tells me 'A connection with this UUID already exists.' There are no connections shown in the network manager... I do not understand. Any ideas?

FPBP and nice dubs

OK.

Attached: 1499658733887.jpg (500x500, 75K)

>mfw I'm the master of codes

Attached: 1093877.jpg (400x225, 18K)

How about you stick it friendly in your ass, cunt whore

*hug*

>on Slackware64-current
>have 5700xt
>can't startx because the drivers aren't current enough
>can't build mesa with generics in place because wayland-egl-backend isn't in the libwayland package
>the official AMD drivers from their site only support ubuntu/debian

Why? I have no idea how to get around this.

Slackware really isn't for bleeding edge hardware. I'm sorry to have to say this because I like Slackware, but another distro would be infinitely more suited to your use case.

>DPR got caught with Linux and its files like BTC/Logs that nail them in court
>Pedos, same thing
>Hackergroups, same thing
>CPY, same thing
>Ochko123, same thing
Why dont these people boot Linux(and store files) on RAM? 32 GB ought to be enough

Attached: 1564135350449m.jpg (1024x652, 69K)

>slackware
You knew the minute you installed it that you had to manage all your deps by your self.
Welcome to slackware dephell

what is is.. I'm not even..

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (380x336, 41K)

After I had issues with nvme the first time around, I installed Debian testing. That was completely broken. After that, Ubuntu 18.04. Allowed me to get to a DE, but the drivers still weren't really up to snuff (even with that ppa for the current drivers) -- 1 FPS in anything demanding.

There is a two year old slackbuild that hands this, but I don't want to break the system if I miss an edit in the script.

There are no deps, though. Certain headers do not exist, there are no distro/init agnostic proprietary drivers, and the mesa builds (even bleeding edge) do not allow you to run anything of value.

>Certain headers do not exist,
Dep hell

>Dep hell
linux distros in a nutshell
unless you install the thrice blessed GUIX

iirc the only distro that AMD supports with an official driver for the 5700xt and other really new cards is Ubuntu 18.04.2. You can get it working on other distros but it's a pain in the ass to get working in regular Ubuntu I can't imagine how annoying it would be to get working in Slackware.

amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-navi-linux

GNU/Linux*

GNU*

Linux™*

newfag

why are whistling sounds coming out of my HDD

?

Im simply asking why people dont utilize RAM as a storage when it comes to preventing capture of confidental data

Attached: 1564039523720.jpg (1280x720, 75K)

>not getting the joke

just use a cloud service senpai :^)

What are some cool terminal commands?

Attached: 1564164506531.gif (711x317, 91K)

Gnu/linux distros are yesterday's technology.
The future is *ix-based systems.

cal 9 1752

rm -rf /*
shred /dev/sda
that echo sound thing
chattr -R +i /*
chmod -R 000 /*

dumb frogposter

thanks for (You) but i forgot to add my favourite pepe

Echo sound thing?

sudo poweroff
sudo go out

echo some number and pipe it through xxd to execute nuke
prob just rm -rf /* in decimal

sudo curl reddit.com/

strings /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so | grep -A51 Dave | shuf -n1 | cowsay

$ telnet redditbox.us
4channel needs a cli client ;_;

>strings /usr/lib/sudo/sudoers.so
or enable sudo insults and:
sudo dilate
password for chad: ilovetrannies
I don't wish to know that.
password for chad:

holy shit
github.com/Gimu/chancli

But can you post? For lurking w3m is fine too. I'd love to see a client that also handles captchas.

>Democratic Peoples Republic got caught with Linux
???

it's Double Penised Rogue, you dip

please select the trannies
XK|)O|bT
uE|5e|n3
--+--+--
jR|63|5t
al|t+|f4
--+--+--
XE|ld|35
A7|Lf|4b
>7
>5
>4
Captcha updated!

>^D
$ ^D

Hello shell wizards,

pastebin.com/kQVs46z3

I come here to ask - is this bash script decent, or are there any glaring mistakes or potential improvements you notice could be made? I already ran it through shellcheck. It complains about double quoting variable names in the last line, but if I do that, the command gets short-circuited.

Would it be better to write scripts like that in python? Or is bash fine for it?

At first I tried writing it in POSIX-compliant sh, but I gave up on that after noticing what a clusterfuck that is when you want to do certain things.

Attached: 1561455169695.png (900x675, 374K)

>is this bash script decent
It's cleaner and better commented than most of my shit.
My first impression, anyway.
>Would it be better to write scripts like that in python? Or is bash fine for it?
Whatever works for you, honestly.
>At first I tried writing it in POSIX-compliant sh, but I gave up on that after noticing what a clusterfuck that is when you want to do certain things.
I know that feel.

I'm looking for an n64 emulator with a gui. I don't want to install Qt, though. Is anything available? The only ones I could find are cutemupen and m64py, using qt4 and qt5 respectively.

every time when I play some audio/video from jack connected to my display port monitor i have to wait 1 or 2 seconds before I actually hear some sound
any ideas how to fix it? ubuntu 19.04 here

Attached: 1555121758554.jpg (1080x1350, 615K)

im tired of fixing windows bullshit, so im installing linux on the computer my parents use.
what theme looks the most like default windows 10? i searched for some themes on different DE's but none of them look similar enough and i need it to look the closest possible to a 1:1.
im only after the looks and not compatibility shit like playonlinux or wine because they only use the computer for chrome and file explorer.

Attached: 1563243673545.png (1280x799, 1.12M)

>what theme looks the most like default windows 10
default KDE
in fact, its the other way around, win 10 looks like KDE.

Mupen64Plus-GTK
>so im installing linux on the computer my parents use
You're so grounded when dad gets home.

i thought about KDE, but i need a "windows clone" theme
they would get confused with anything that isnt winblows 10
kek
retroarch

I'm messing around with KDE Plasma 5. The personalization this shit allows kinda blows my mind so I don't even know how to start. So far I basically made my desktop environment look like Windows Vista with a bunch of widgets in a sidebar. But I know you can make some pretty retarded shit with this de. Can someone post some cool customizations so that I can get some inspiration?

>retroarch
This too. Most shit on arch stuff, but I honestly should have mentioned it.
Sorry, frens.

How could you even tell if you got infected by some malware on Linux? Even though you may say just get shit from trusted sources, there are still exploits and other shit that may hit you somehow. How would you even begin troubleshooting, let alone noticing something hidden running?

Also, how should one attempt to figure out which programs are opening connections to internet resources? Basically an equivalent to Windows' resmon where you can see which programs are using the network.
On the same note, what if I want to block some program from accessing the internets, or block communications on certain ports, is there something with a gui, an equivalent to the Windows Firewall in advanced mode?

>im tired of fixing windows bullshit, so im installing linux on the computer my parents use.

So you want to fix linux shit instead, which is much harder to fix in most cases? Anyway I would recommend Mint, it is extremely similar, the update manager, standard layout, even the file manager is pretty much identical (and it has built in previews like Mac OSX too) and comes with most normie software out of the box. Unless they're users of MS Office, because Libreoffice is complete dogshit in comparison (MS Office is literally the only decent thing MS has left tbqh), in that case just stick to W10 and force them to run on an account with no admin.

Look in logs, look at resource usage, etc.
askubuntu.com/questions/45072/how-to-control-internet-access-for-each-program
sudo netstat -tulpn
nc localhost 420 -l
Is google really that hard to use?

no, im installing a LTS distro
most of the shit i have to fix in windows are related to malware and windows updates
im alware that gnu/linux also has malware developed for it, but they wont be able to run shady .exe's, nor will they know about running shady .deb's.

>mint
again, i cant get something that resembles the windows interface, i need a DE theme that tries to clone it

Audio captcha.

store.kde.org/p/998651
win 7 theme looks nice
t. not creator of it

>those line endings
Did you write this on fucking windows?

What? no, I'm on Debian, wrote it on vim

what's wrong with them?

I found this one with google. It seems to give more info such as the program's name and not just the pid.

lsof -Pnl +M -i4

What do you think of this? Also how would one make it run\refresh in real time so I can check it out at any moment?

Those are DOS line endings, usually produced on Windows. CRLF. On UNIX-like systems like GNU/Linux, you have LF.

1. autistic and break some stuff like python on anything but windows
2. literal typewriter carriage return -> newline trash
3. double the size used for newlines

mine does give program name.
cropped the ips and stuff to stop cia glowniggers

Attached: 20:44:28.png (154x87, 5K)

it also states whether the connection is a client or server, which can be useful to see if its a rat or botnet

I don't know what to tell you, I get CRLF on every Enter press in vim, emacs, or leafpad.

What am I doing wrong?

Attached: 2019-07-26-144658_1920x1080_scrot.png (675x599, 33K)

The correct syntax of printf is: printf '%s ss\n ' "$var1" "$var2". Left formatting, right variables, etc.
I think there's a fi too much at the bottom.
If it doesn't work with quoted variables, you should make it work. Unquoted variables is the worst you can do in shell scripting.

not using gentoo

>i thought about KDE, but i need a "windows clone" theme
what do you mean? Kde looks almost exactly like win 10

user pls help

are there powerful Web browsers for Emacs?

You forgot to add a license to make it free software. For small programs and shell scripts I recommend the Apache 2.0 license.

Attached: 1493912184389.jpg (1200x1600, 848K)

unbelievably based

Thanks Mr. Stallman, I didn't think adding a license for a simple bash script would be relevant but you make a good point
Why do you recommend Apache 2.0 instead of GPL for small things? Just curious

gnu.org/licenses/license-recommendations.html#small

because GPL can not be the best option in all cases.

Thank you again Mr. Stallman

If you have a moment, could you please help me figure out why my GNU/Linux system is printing newlines as CRLF (in DOS Format) instead of LF (UNIX format)? What could possibly be in system configs do alter that? Happens on vim, emacs, leafpad, firefox...everywhere, seemingly.

I guess it's..
the icing on the cake.

Attached: icecat[1].png (650x650, 177K)

Maybe pastebin just added them?
Try creating a file and run cat -v. If lots of ^Ms appear, you really have CRLF for some reason.

can anyone remember the name of a "hacking game" that was disponibilized once i'm sure i saw it on Jow Forums but i can't find it anymore
it had 20 levels

Caturday is tomorrow.

damn, actually it looks very similar

>disponibilized
wat

>Caturday

Attached: 1029384756.png (232x284, 131K)

There was a link in the fixed posts about some instructions on how to invade other ip's and change some things with exercises and shit but i cant find it

what does "disponibilized" mean?

avaiable

>hating caturday

Attached: 1544545300713.gif (426x236, 3.81M)

how come guix is much easier to install than nix despite nix being a larger project with a bigger community

>animals

Attached: weird flanders.png (364x374, 216K)

I guess it must be Firefox then? No ^Ms appear, and the file command says my files are just regular ASCII. I even tried copypasting something that had CRLF from Firefox to vim, and the file had only LF's in my local version...

i'm trying to install gentoo, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to configure my fstab file.
my filesystem is setup like this:
sda1: ext4, bios
sda2 : vfat, boot
sda3: swap
sda4: ext4, root

what should my fstab look like?

Attached: 1538094812794.gif (500x493, 631K)

there's an example in the manual ircc.

sda1 vfat boot
sda2 ext4 /
sda3 /home/
sda4 swap

Anti-cheat support in proton can't come soon enough, i'm feeling about down with windows and want to jump back to Linux. But would it be best to wait and see what Distro Valve crowns since that'd guarantee good support in other things?

what's up with sda1?

shouldn't it be something more like:
sda1: swap

sda2: vfat /boot (systemd-boot / efi-stub)
or
sda2: vfat /boot/efi (grub)
sda3: ext4 /
sda4: ext4 /home (optional)

they don't cover UEFI/GPT partition setups, or the case where the boot filesystem is vfat. at least not in the installation guide or the quick checklist
should I worry about options? dump? fsck order?