Why don't *nix distros automatically mount external drives when plugged in like windows?

Why don't *nix distros automatically mount external drives when plugged in like windows?

Attached: 1561332822663.jpg (250x206, 6K)

Same reason why you can't help but keep frogposting and suck cocks on an hourly basis.

>not setting up your external drives correctly
you have no one to blame but yourself

they do, what the fuck are you taiking about?

>Plug in USB
>sudo fdisk -l
>mkdir /media/usb-drive
>mount /dev/sdc1 /media/usb-drive/
>OK now you can access the USB

Why can't this be automatic?

It's automatic on my distro, unless it's an encrypted drive that is. In that case, I'll have to open veracrypt and mount it myself.

>not having an automount script that runs automatically on its own by itself independently autonomously without need for your manual intervention
reminder Jow Forums is a high-IQ board and you mindless consumer shills don't belong here

Attached: 1514941201451[1].jpg (248x189, 18K)

Because *nix distros don't assume you want everything that can be mounted automatically. If you do, though, it's very simple to do. You either set it in fstab (assuming the drive will always be present at boot, otherwise your system will drop you into a rescue shell and you'll have to remove the entry in fstab), or you can download a utility to do it for you. I know KDE has an option to automount, so I assume there are ways to get that on other DE's, or find stand alone packages that you can use without a DE. Just fucking google it before starting threads honestly.

All *nix distros with WMs or DEs running automount external drives.

The CLI varieties of Debian and its derivatives do this automatically as well without needing any specific commands.

The only *nix distros that don't automount external drives are the hipster CLI distros like Gentoo, Void, Arch and *BSD until you install and enable X.

or a daemon but why would you even

Because you didn't install the automounter.

udevil

I know you can automate it, that's not my question.

I was asking why it's something you have to do and not the default.
It seems like something that should be standard.

install file manager or just DE

Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise Long Term Servicing Channel doesn't have this problem.

It is default on Ubuntu. Don't complain you tried some niche distro which turned out to be too difficult for you to use.

Why do you need to install automounter to have your drives mounted automatically?
Why do you need a special program to change mouse scrolling wheel speed?
Why deluded people keep saying that terminal (1 dimensional) is more convenient than a GUI (2 dimensional)?

KDE Plasma 5 does it by default, my indian friend

Attached: 1564146226721.png (608x600, 210K)

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Why do you need to install automounter to have your drives mounted automatically?
>Why do you need a special program to change mouse scrolling wheel speed?
because it's not default on your distro
install kubuntu, listen to , you don't need to go into a terminal
>Why deluded people keep saying that terminal (1 dimensional) is more convenient than a GUI (2 dimensional)?
it depends if you mean terminal apps such as ones that are ncurses based, or shell commands. shell commands are more powerful, such as when one user had a folder of projects folders, and wanted to remove a file named test1.png from each project folder. this would be hard to do quickly in a gui file explorer

>Why deluded people keep saying that terminal (1 dimensional) is more convenient than a GUI (2 dimensional)?
Because, a lot of times, it is. When dealing with files within files in a GUI, you can end up clicking and moving your mouse all over the place. In a terminal, you can use auto-complete to zip around much faster. You can use your down arrow to repeat previous commands, too, to speed things up. The terminal can be a lazy man's paradise, once you learn a couple of tricks.

Dumb Mint user here. It automatically does that and I never had to set anything up. Stop using NEET distros or stop being retarded.

Because you never told it to. The way it should be.

I didn't tell it to recognize my mouse, or my screen, or any other device. It just won't recognize USB's.

Kind of a strange spot to draw the line.

>it's strange to draw a line between input/output devices and portable mass storage devices
Ok.

Because it shouldn't be a default. Assumption can lead to lots of mistakes. About all of the ootb desktop distros assume people want to use their machines as workstations and it's fine to automount drives there but outside of the desktop that's not always the case.

Bare distros and server distros make way less assumptions on what the user wants to achieve. Those distros are meant for people that know what they're doing, mostly pros and hobbyists. By not doing things automatically they keep the system simple and prevent unexpected behaviour from occurring. It's the task of the user to configure the device for its use case.

Why would you want a server to auto mount drives for example? There has been a lot of malware that exploited vulnerabilities provided be auto mounting in the past. Why take the risk when the admin already set up the drives correctly and the server is properly maintained.

Also for data recovery services it would be pretty undesirable. They don't want to touch the file system on the disk at all, they want to ddrescue the drive to a salvageable image instead.

Auto mounting is a convenience feature for people that always want the drives to be mounted when connected like the average user. That's why all ootb distros provide it. So unless you want to set up your device for a specific use case yourself you should just use an ootb distro. A bare or server distro isn't meant for end users. It's just a case of the right tool for the job.

>Plug in USB
>Appears automatically
What distro do you use? Works on mine

Ubuntu does by default and pretty much every file manager can mount drives with one click

Depending on your settings, it can be.

Does Windows even do this? When I used Windows, it would just show you the prompt asking if you wanted to "browse files" (AKA mount the drive). macOS does the same thing; shows you the partition, but doesn't actually mount it.

It has shitload of other problems though

>Does Windows even do this?
Yes. It mounts and gives you a prompt asking what you want to do.
Mount != open a file manager

Not the same user but I thought it asked what to do with it and how to mount it (if there's different ways to do it).

>Jow Forums is a high-IQ board
This is so delusional I audibly kek'd.

Attached: 1360136862945.gif (140x140, 1.27M)

KDE/Gnome/Xfce does it. There is also udev, there are other automounters around, you just have to be stupid not to know about that

>auto-complete
Step 1: type the first letters of a file's name into any competent file manager (read: not Linux).
Step 2: be blown away.

Attached: 1546311934782.gif (300x169, 1.34M)

Nope. It mounts - open up Disk Manager and watch as you plug in: first a new drive appears, then all the partitions on it have letters appear (by default) - does a quick scan, then it asks:
1) If you want to open an Explorer window to it,
2) (if there's lots of pictures) if you want to view or import the pictures,
3) (if there's lots of videos) if you want to play the vids,
4) (if there's an autorun.inf file) if you want to AutoPlay,
5) (can't be bothered to think of more).
It would be kind of hard to do the middle three if the FS(s) on it weren't mounted.

But most do.

It is automatic on the vast majority of distros.

Alright, been a long time since I've used Windows so probably just a false memory.

> thinking auto-mounting is a good security feature for a server

Works for me™

Debian 10
Pop os