Can somebody please explain the systemd hate train to me?

can somebody please explain the systemd hate train to me?

Attached: systemnpc.png (1483x962, 447K)

The dev is a bit of a sperg and some big security concerns have been historically swept under the rug despite the large amount of distros that have adopted it.

I don't remember a lot of specifics. Maybe someone else can provide deets.

lennart poettering is fucking retarded, like more than most programmers. That's the main reason.

okay i will switch to runit now

It's too big.

>infinite lines of mediocre code that will take the eternity to do an audit on
>extreme scope creep
>software rely on it more and more, making troublesome not using it.
>pushed in the linux ecosystem by a corporate(and glowies) backed distro
>incredibly errors prone and change the way you manage it every time making really tedious to keep up with devs humor swings.

It's used on a lot of popular distros and makes a bunch of stuff less tedious so everyone naturally pushes back against it

less tedious? have you really tried managing a linux system with systemd or you only install a browser and watch anime?

It quickly becomes a nightmare to deal with when something goes wrong, because its absolutely massive.

what alternative do i have to systemd and does it function exactly the same?

> hum runit i guess ,i am using void linux and it just works fine

lmfao like, how do you even check status of a daemon without systemd?

You literally can't, pic related.

What you gonna do boy fire up ps|grep and cat some log file? bwahahhaa

Attached: dingo.png (1098x649, 68K)

Attached: foetering.jpg (864x576, 147K)

Actually that wouldn't even get you the info that one systemctl command gives, you would need like 10 gnu tools to do that and probably some bash hacks.

systemd is systematic destabilization of GNU Linux userland.
It's a large, corporate linked, high velocity blob of code that continues to absorb more and more core functionality of previously independent interconnected modular units of function.
Systemd increases attack surface of the OS by creating a design that continues to morph towards monolithic. The systemd development community has also never had an attitude of respect, coexistence, or interoperability between other open projects that make up the core of the GNU Linux userland.

>What you gonna do boy fire up ps|grep and cat some log file
Yes? It's way more reliable than journalctl, which literally 0 programs properly take advantage of.

My workplace is full of retards like you.
>I don't want to use new tools!
>Just grep logs!
Fuck you retarded boomer. I don't want to spend days troubleshooting with basic tools from the 80s.

Correct, I don't want to use new tools because they don't work. Give me something that works better than what I'm using now and I'll use it.

I'm not a sysadmin but systemd tools always worked fine on our RHEL production servers.
Keep using cat and 20 years old bash and perl scripts. I bet you are still using CVS because git is "needlessly complex" and only use cp crontab jobs for backups.

You couldn't be more wrong.

i just know that i have tried distro without it. and since they work just the same. it proves something as big as systemd is not necessary. bit things should not be used when not necessary due to all the problems of big software that does everything.
is not that systemd does not do something. its that the alternative do just as well but without being big and bloated. so there is no reason to take risks.
this is reason enoug to not use it and to make anyone who uses it a brainlet

laughed when I saw binary logfiles

these are some of the problems of big things i was talking about. and since the alternative work just as fine as systemd without having these problems. there is just no reason to even try systemd

The harsh reality is that systemd adds features that are nice but it's also more complex, making troubeshooting harder.

People are mad because it has bugs, which all software has.
People are also mad because they think Linux is Unix (it's not).
People also hate "feature bloat" yet they use a terminal emulator with 60,000 lines of code.
Systemd makes systems programming/scripting between kernel and userspace a lot easier and a lot more efficient.
It's basically a copy of MacOS.

For an average to intermediate user.. it makes literally no difference.

Oftentimes, technical arguments will be brought up, but I don't think the technical arguments reflect why people are mad. Instead, it seems to me that people are mad because parts of the system change that they expected not to change.
In essence, they believe their legitimate expectations of systemcomponent stability have been disappointed. In *NIX, it is normal for things to change over time, too. However, these changes are rarely drastic changes of the foundations of the system: Nobody expects that mv(1) is without replacement and people are told to just use cp(1) and rm(1) instead.
However, for some reason people thought that X.org and a traditional init(8) would be constituents of the “fossilized” parts. As it turns out, people can and will rewrite things that are thought to be stable, fossilized components.
In face of all the kicking and screaming about these changes, people don't seem to be leaving Linux for other *NIX operating systems. I could imagine this being caused by it being infeasible to leave. In a sense, Linux has become the Windows of the server space because everything assumes Linux.

and since you should care about software made by an expert, no intermediate or average. you should not expect to ever use systemd

>systemd/linux

Attached: systemd operational system.png (500x556, 59K)

This is going to blow your mind, but text files are actually made up of 0s and 1s. And here's more, journald's binary log files contain mostly plain text logs. There's even a Unix command for extracting the text out of a binary file; if you run that you get, drumroll, plaintext logs.